CUPS 1.4.3 - Printing Problem

Using applications, configuring, problems
edoc

#21 Post by edoc »

I've had trouble with CUPS across dozens of versions of Puppy and at least 5 different printers.

A search of the Puppy-only forum posts shows that problems with CUPS is not unusual, and if one looks at the forums for other distros they are littered with similar problems.

Again, the lack of a simple method to purge CUPS and to reinstall clean is a *major* failure of design.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

edoc

#22 Post by edoc »

Do either of these lists contain a clue as to what is wrong?

Perhaps something missing or conflicting files?

Also, where are the driver modules stored, please?

I need to either purge the file of the dozens of duplicates or maybe delete it and include only the driver module that I need -- just to simplify troubleshooting -- not to mention trying to find things in there!
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet_P1006.ppd
/etc/cups/ppd/hp-p1006.ppd
/etc/udev/rules.d/86-hpmud-hp_laserjet_p1006.rules
/usr/lib/python2.6/encodings/cp1006.py
/usr/lib/python2.6/encodings/cp1006.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.6/encodings/cp1006.pyo
/usr/share/cups/model/HP-LaserJet_P1006.ppd.gz
/usr/share/foo2xqx/firmware/sihpP1006.dl
/usr/share/hplip/data/firmware/hp_laserjet_p1006.fw.gz
/usr/share/ppd/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_P1006.ppd.gz
/usr/share/ppd/HP/hp_laserjet_p1006-hpijs.ppd.gz
/etc/foomatic
/root/.packages/builtin_files/foomatic-filters
/usr/bin/command2foo2lava-pjl
/usr/bin/foo2hiperc
/usr/bin/foo2hiperc-wrapper
/usr/bin/foo2hp
/usr/bin/foo2hp2600-wrapper
/usr/bin/foo2lava
/usr/bin/foo2lava-wrapper
/usr/bin/foo2oak
/usr/bin/foo2oak-wrapper
/usr/bin/foo2qpdl
/usr/bin/foo2qpdl-wrapper
/usr/bin/foo2slx
/usr/bin/foo2slx-wrapper
/usr/bin/foo2xqx
/usr/bin/foo2xqx-wrapper
/usr/bin/foo2zjs
/usr/bin/foo2zjs-icc2ps
/usr/bin/foo2zjs-pstops
/usr/bin/foo2zjs-wrapper
/usr/bin/foomatic-rip
/usr/lib/cups/filter/command2foo2lava-pjl
/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip
/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1/CPAN/InfoObj.pm
/usr/lib/ppr/interfaces/foomatic-rip
/usr/lib/ppr/lib/foomatic-rip
/usr/lib/python2.6/__phello__.foo.py
/usr/lib/python2.6/__phello__.foo.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.6/__phello__.foo.pyo
/usr/share/abiword-2.8/ui/ap_UnixDialog_FormatFootnotes.xml
/usr/share/automake-1.11/am/footer.am
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Templates/DLLFooter.dsptemplate
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Templates/EXEFooter.dsptemplate
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Templates/staticLibFooter.dsptemplate
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Templates/UtilityFooter.dsptemplate
/usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-ppds
/usr/share/doc/foo2zjs
/usr/share/foo2hiperc
/usr/share/foo2hp
/usr/share/foo2lava
/usr/share/foo2oak
/usr/share/foo2qpdl
/usr/share/foo2slx
/usr/share/foo2xqx
/usr/share/foo2zjs
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2hiperc.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2hiperc-wrapper.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2hp.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2hp2600-wrapper.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2lava.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2lava-wrapper.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2oak.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2oak-wrapper.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2qpdl.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2qpdl-wrapper.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2slx.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2slx-wrapper.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2xqx.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2xqx-wrapper.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2zjs.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2zjs-pstops.1
/usr/share/man/man1/foo2zjs-wrapper.1
/usr/share/ppd/foo2zjs
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Patriot

#23 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
edoc wrote:I've had trouble with CUPS across dozens of versions of Puppy and at least 5 different printers.
Yeah, I have noted since the mid of last year and I have no idea why they're acting up on you ...
edoc wrote:A search of the Puppy-only forum posts shows that problems with CUPS is not unusual, and if one looks at the forums for other distros they are littered with similar problems.
And the complaints will continue for many many more moons to come ...

Yet, I have noted that the rate of CUPS related complaints on the puppy forum have dropped considerably compared to more than a year ago. Of course, its more of a matter of perception and not backed by any empirical scientific studies ...
edoc wrote:Again, the lack of a simple method to purge CUPS and to reinstall clean is a *major* failure of design.
:lol:
Sure, that can be done ... as long as its for a full hdd install and the pet package manager has all the un-install details (ie. files, dependencies, configurations, etc etc), which will not happen (not yet anyway) ... So, is this a CUPS failure or a puppy failure now ? or both ?

A lot of people criticizes CUPS without understanding what they're criticizing about. CUPS is a Man-In-The-Middle coordinator. It has inter-dependencies on many others to work correctly and also others depends on it to do their task. If something external borks then the whole thing breaks ...

Between me and rcrsn51, I believe that we have been able to sort out most of CUPS internal issues. The problems that I'm seeing (with cups on puppies) nowadays are mostly due to external dependencies (ie. drivers). Frankly, I'm not intimate with CUPS but I do understand its position and basic flow.

To satisfy my urge to debug foo2xqx, I called an acquantaince who has a HP P1006, made an appointment and gain access to use the P1006 contraption device ... err, printer. I booted a fresh puppy 4.31 in ram, installed my CUPS 1.3.11 pet and then my foo2xxx.pet ... I then edited /usr/bin/foomatic-rip and /usr/bin/foomatic-gswrapper to enable unsafe operation flag. I restarted udev, turn-on the printer, configured the printer in CUPS web manager and finally made several test prints. The test output was perfect each time. I conclude that my foo2xxx.pet is working fine. Personally, I can now confirm it to be working with HP P1006 and also the HP 1020 that was tested a while back ...

(Oh yeah, I sure thanked my acquantaince for his generosity and allowing me access to his HP P1006 printer for the test.)

So, from what I've read in this thread, your printing issues seems to be external to CUPS, ie. drivers. Kindly choose which poison ... err, driver set you wish to use. Choose only either foo2xqx or hpijs. Do not mix them or you'll get a double dose of poison ... err, driver firmware conflict.

Heaps of thanks (and gratitude) goes to rcrsn51 for fielding many of the printing issues for the past several months ...

Rgds

edoc

#24 Post by edoc »

I really appreciate all of the time that Puppy folks have poured into CUPS, I know that Barry has more than once expressed his frustration with it and even mused about a simplified replacement.

I also understand about the driver problems, it is not unique to CUPS or to Linux.

I know that CUPS can handle the HP P1006 because I had it working, then something happened to mess it up, and no method seems to be available to clean it up.

It was suggested that I load 1.3.11 and despite my past experience I was persuaded to load on top of 1.4.3 -- no joy -- and now I have debris from two versions of CUPS and even less hope of finding the conflicts.

Again, if I could simply purge everything related to CUPS I could start from a clean install, I really do not understand why it is so hard for them to offer an uninstall app that gets that done effectively.

(Why is this any less possible in Frugal than in Full?)

Once all of CUPS is completely gone then I could make a fresh install without too many unknown variables.

BTW: This is a work laptop so I can't keep burning-down the whole OS and Savefile every time CUPS hiccups.

WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

rcrsn51

#25 Post by rcrsn51 »

edoc wrote:I know that CUPS can handle the HP P1006 because I had it working
Again, if I could simply purge everything related to CUPS I could start from a clean install
This is a work laptop so I can't keep burning-down the whole OS and Savefile every time CUPS hiccups.
Have you considered making regular backups of your pupsave file?

edoc

#26 Post by edoc »

I have a recent backup.

As many others do I push as much stuff out of the Savefile into other folders due to past problems with the Savefile being too small and running out of space when busy.

There is stuff related to CUPS inside and outside of the Savefile, the backup prevents data loss, but not time-loss trying to dig what I need out of the Savefile and the other saved folders outside of the Savefile to rebuild things -- and without unintentionally reinstalling whatever unknown conflict is disabling CUPS.

Did you spot anything in the two lists that I posted that I should delete in order to have a clean working install of 1.4.3 (which was working and then stopped) or 1.3.11 (which I tried but doesn't work - presumably for the same reason 1.4.3 stopped working)?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Patriot

#27 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Well, I can't advise based on just the list you posted. If you insists and you know what you're doing then look in /root/.packages for the installed pet packages. You'll see .files extensions listed and those would be the list of files installed by the respective packages.

I wouldn't know what goes where in spup (or quirky/wary or even lupu) as I don't have much time playing with puppy nowadays. Hope you'd find what you're looking for ...

Rgds

edoc

#28 Post by edoc »

big_bass is compiling CUPS 1.4.4 for TXZ.

I have requested that he set it up so that nothing can touch the config files or the dependencies.

It is my perception that this is what breaks a good install of CUPS.

It may also be that multiple PC's on the network, not all with the same version of CUPS, create conflicts in shared config files -- especially if more than one has Admin. rights to shared printers.

I am guessing here ... but then from what I keep reading CUPS has become a lot like the old version of the Apple OS ... too complex due to fragments of patches for anyone to know all of the variables. Apple eventually had to rewrite their OS from scratch.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

big_bass

#29 Post by big_bass »

Patriot
To satisfy my urge to debug foo2xqx, I called an acquantaince who has a HP P1006, made an appointment and gain access to use the P1006 contraption device ... err, printer. I booted a fresh puppy 4.31 in ram, installed my CUPS 1.3.11 pet and then my foo2xxx.pet ... I then edited /usr/bin/foomatic-rip and /usr/bin/foomatic-gswrapper to enable unsafe operation flag. I restarted udev, turn-on the printer, configured the printer in CUPS web manager and finally made several test prints. The test output was perfect each time. I conclude that my foo2xxx.pet is working fine. Personally, I can now confirm it to be working with HP P1006 and also the HP 1020 that was tested a while back ...

(Oh yeah, I sure thanked my acquantaince for his generosity and allowing me access to his HP P1006 printer for the test.)

wow. now thats customer service you personally confirmed the exact hardware

Hey Patriot we chatted the other day about cups and I would be very grateful if
you could test out the cups 1.4.4 when I give it the green light

cups can be wiped clean then re installed the problem lies in
the root filing system has some stray cups files
and due to the fact that cups comes pre installed
by design "core packages are not removable using the package management"
they can be removed but it is a surgery for skilled hands

*also cups itself generates a few files so they dont get registered with any package management thus they wouldnt be removed without a script to do so

a long term goal is have an installable and removable cups
so it can be upgraded painlessly

@Patriot
I know how much work you must had spent working on cups for each version
and am looking forward to your expertise in this area

some stuff that cups generates when its run this will remove it

Code: Select all

rm -f -r /etc/cups
#rm -f /etc/init.d/cups #cups wont start without this
rm -f /etc/rc.d/rc.cups
rm -f -r /var/log/cups
rm -f -r /var/spool/cups
rm -f -r /var/cache/cups
rm -f /etc/dbus-1/system.d/cups.conf

Joe

edoc

#30 Post by edoc »

OK, just loaded lupu-507 as Frugal. It comes with CUPS 1.4.3

Ran the foo2xxx_r220909-0.0-i486.pet

Opened CUPS, Administration, Add Printer, Find New Printers.

It found the HP Laserjet P1006.

Selected the "recommended" foo driver (the only one for the P1006).

Accepted the default printer settings.

Closed CUPS.

Opened a simple text file in Geany.

Selected Print.

No errors and no printout.
HP_LaserJet_P1006-1 geany job #1 root 80k 1 completed at
Sun Aug 1 09:36:30 2010
Returned to CUPS and tried Query Printer for Default Settings and was greeted with this error:
Set Default Options HP_LaserJet_P1006 Error

Unable to send command to printer driver!
Unsupported format 'application/vnd.cups-command'!
What does that mean, please?

I back-arrowed to the Default Settings page and selected the default settings as I did initially and received no error, same as the first time.

Here is what CUPS says about the printer status:
HP_LaserJet_P1006 (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared)
Description: HP LaserJet P1006
Driver: HP LaserJet P1006 Foomatic/foo2xqx (recommended) (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connection: usb://HP/LaserJet%20P1006
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
I have not rebooted yet and therefore do not have a lupu-507 savefile. I will do so now and try again, just in case that matters.

BTW: I have two other printers, a HP Photosmart C4480, and a HP OfficeJet 4215.

All three of these printers have worked with CUPS in the past and all three have suddenly stopped working with CUPS. The C4480 has a known failure (presumably a manufacturing fault) that has been documented by users on the HP support forum (last I knew it was not made-right with a recall or exchange by HP) and the 4215 has been used here as a copying and fax machine. The P1006 has worked with CUPS fairly recently -- I prefer it as it is B&W only and cheap to run.

I read elsewhere that some of the Kodak printers are less costly to keep in ink cartridges - no idea if they are more CUPS-friendly -- and I am unaware of an inexpensive desktop Kodak laser printer.

WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#31 Post by edoc »

Just rebooted, opened the text file again, and printed - SUCCESSFULLY!

Note: There is a glitch in the driver that requires that the Image Quality be set to 1200x600 dpi for the output to be readable -- I recall that as an old problem.

Hopefully nothing harms this CUPS install!

I am going to go back to spup 040 and try to delete everything that was listed as files created by CUPS and see if that takes away whatever is preventing CUPS from working there.

I have everything set up there already (E-mail, Web, a variety of apps) so I'd not like to have to rebuild all of that in a Beta lupu-507 just to be able to print.

Thanks for all that you do!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

edoc wrote:Just rebooted, opened the text file again, and printed - SUCCESSFULLY!
That shouldn't be a surprise. Remember that your printer will only work after it has received its firmware download. That will occur when you either reboot your computer or reboot the printer. That allows udev to detect the printer and activate the download.

edoc

#33 Post by edoc »

I am going to try this list that was posted and see if I can get CUPS cleaned-up and working again in spup 040

Any obvious gotcha's in his list that might break anything but CUPS (which is already non-functional in spup 040)?
rm -f -r /etc/cups
#rm -f /etc/init.d/cups #cups wont start without this
rm -f /etc/rc.d/rc.cups
rm -f -r /var/log/cups
rm -f -r /var/spool/cups
rm -f -r /var/cache/cups
rm -f /etc/dbus-1/system.d/cups.conf
I applied all of these in spup 040 then rebooted, loaded the foo2xxx_r220909-0.0-i486.pet then opened CUPS 1.3.11 - Administrator - Add Printer and got this:
Failed to Connect

The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

big_bass

#34 Post by big_bass »

edoc
because what I posted is to remove cups config files so that you could re install the
the correct packages in your case since you have a already installed version of spup you would have to check the package list and reinstall all cups / printer related apps

the needed files are created/generated during the installing of the fresh packages

such as at least ghostscript , cups cups-pdf

in that way you would be starting clean
because even if you would re install the packages the old config files
would still be present if you didnt first run the script I posted

*now that you have a working set up its much easier to duplicate the needed steps to run the printer set up

it would be much easier and reliable to re install clean your spup version
and copy over your personal files and such from your save file afterwards

Joe

edoc

#35 Post by edoc »

/usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-ppds is a symbolic link to
/usr/share/ppd which is a symbolic link to itself.

This is in spup 040 (Frugal) with 1.4.3 installed and 1.3.1 installed over it..
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

rcrsn51

#36 Post by rcrsn51 »

I just did a fresh frugal install of spup-040. I installed CUPS 1.3.11 and your foo2xxx driver package.

I then looked for the links you describe above and they don't exist.

So they must have come from some other driver package you previously installed.

What might it be?

edoc

#37 Post by edoc »

It could be from 1.4.3, which I cannot seem to uninstall, I uninstalled everything else I could find, the hpijs-related apps, etc.

CUPS really needs to be taken out of the distros and installed my Puppy Package Manager so that it may be completely and cleanly uninstalled and reinstalled without disturbing anything else.

That would seem to go 1,000 miles toward a solution.

I just don't have the hours to waste (nor I imagine to others) on rebuilding my Savefile, dozens of custom-added apps and settings, every time CUPS spits-up ... which is often.

WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

jackieflorida

Cups 1.4.3 in Lupu 5.2 Broken after Once Working

#38 Post by jackieflorida »

I'm using a frugal install of Lupu-5.2 and a Canon Pixma MP150 printer/scanner. A few weeks ago the printer was working and now it is not. I was very pleased with the ease of the setup originally.

I can bring up the Cups 1.4.3 home page but when I click on, say Jobs, I get 500 Internal Server Error presented on the browser page.

I am using the Chrome browser installed via Quickpet on the default desktop.

If I perform a pfix=ram boot, the printer will work once installed. In fact, I do this when I need to occasionally print something. But it sure would be nice to have the installed Cups repaired.

When I install, say Cups 1.4.2 from the pkg.mgr. I get a message of missing dependencies: gdk_pixbuf10 glib12 imlib

rcrsn51

#39 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read the discussion here starting at page 3.

It's now well understood that installing some un-vetted Debian packages into Puppy can alter ownership/permissions of the Puppy filesystem, causing CUPS to fail. This is absolutely not the fault of CUPS. In fact, it's an indication that CUPS is protecting your system from a perceived security breach.

I don't know if the Chrome package has caused your particular problem, but it would be easy to find out. Boot with "pfix=ram", then install Chrome and a printer. If that's the case, it should be reported in the Lupu threads.