chrome os?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
morgonzola

chrome os?

#1 Post by morgonzola »

hi there so i recently did some looking into the google chrome os and was very interested with the idea. however, cloud computing is great for mail and calendar and maybe other very light applications, but some things should be run off of your computer to reduce useless server load and other things. then i had the idea what if you merged puppy linux and the google chrome os together somehow to make the ultimate quick web browsing system? i know browserlinux exists and it works great (maybe this is something the creator of that should think about) but from the aesthetic point of view alone, having the browser be the desktop and all is just more pleasing then having it start up when you start up your system. is this even possible? i have little to no programing skills so i wouldn't know this might even be an opportunity for puppy linux to get a piece of google is a sense because people generally trust google (note the word generally) and would be happier to have a big company name attached when switching to a linux variant.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Poogle

#2 Post by Lobster »

is this even possible?
Puppy does the impossible for breakfast :lol:
At the moment Chromium has not been fully googlified
and released with full specs.
Basing a Puppy on what exists presently would be premature
Woof support or compiling for/from a hybrid Poogle
(I bet someone has that name - not quite right)
will be possible and I am sure will be attempted 8)

Puppy Does
Everything!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

zenfunk

#3 Post by zenfunk »

I'm not sure what you have in mind. If you want a google chrome- like os why don't you just use google chrome (at least it is Open source as well, so, every development there could be leaked into Puppy, if need be).

Or do you mean a barebones Puppy with just a browser?
Well, why don't you just use a barebones Puppy, install a google chrome- browser pet and autostart it by adding "chrome" (orwhateveritistostartthechromebrowser) to your /root/.initrc and ad an autohide option to your .jwmrc-tray file.

Personally, since I'm a bit concerend about my privacy when I'd do cloud computing. It also would render computer unusable when I got no internet connection- etc. etc.. (the reasons to be against cloud computing are many, and we hard them all...), so I'd rather have a more traditional OS with the applications on board like Puppy is now. You can cloud compute with your traditional Puppy also, so you have every option.

So again, what exactly do you have in mind?

Cheers, Christian

morgonzola

#4 Post by morgonzola »

i guess what i was looking for was more along the lines of the barebone puppy but at the same time some of the things about the chrome os are more os like (aka all the meters are integrated and stuff) and the reason why puppy comes into play is so you could have all the traditional stuff but also kind of integrate it into the chrome gui. it would take some work yes but its all open source so its possible. this is all hypothetical keep in mind im just speculating on what it could be not what it should be if you get what im saying. so really the only thing i like about the chrome os is that the meters and stuff is all integrated into the browser and that separate applications are in tabs, but i do agree that cloud computing is dicey and not for the average user. so i guess if there was a way to do this without the os itself then i would love to hear it. i just kinda thought about the tab thing being the task bar and programs would be integrated into the tab maybe? (again hypothetical) that would combine the asthetic view of the browser but not have to be cloud apps.

raffy

browserlinux

#5 Post by raffy »

Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].