Quirky NOP 1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
cthisbear

#76 Post by cthisbear »

" I have donated to Barry a few times "

" hadn't been out there thanking the community "

shako: But your actions spoke louder than words.

""""""""""""""""""""

I hope that someone here can soon help you out.

Regards...........Chris.

Henry

OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs SOLVED in part

#77 Post by Henry »

OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs is fast, efficient, compact.

But how does one add/use an English spell checker, thesaurus, and the internet menu links?

I have begun using OpenOffice heavily and miss these things. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT SOLVED: I found I had to add the spellcheck extension, /en_US.oxt. This in turn allowed me to activate hunspell.

Thesaurus and menu internet links are less important, but suggestions would be welcome.
Last edited by Henry on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ronny

Amarok for Quirky NOP 1.2

#78 Post by Ronny »

Hello,

I am having some problem adding a SFS file to my Quirky 1.2 NOP.
Her is what I have done:
I downloaded the amarok_430-sfs4.sfs file and put it in my /mnt/home folder.
The bootmanager does not seem to recognize the file. After I rename the file to "amarok.sfs" the bootloader does recognize the file and all seems OK.
After a restart of Puppy, I do find Amarok in the Multimedia-tab and after clicking on it I can see the Amarok splash screen for a moment but nothing else happens after that.
Am I missing something here or is the amarok_430-sfs4.sfs simply not usable with Quirky NOP?
Thanks for your kind reply.
Ronny

DaveS

Re: Amarok for Quirky NOP 1.2

#79 Post by DaveS »

Ronny wrote:Hello,

I am having some problem adding a SFS file to my Quirky 1.2 NOP.
Her is what I have done:
I downloaded the amarok_430-sfs4.sfs file and put it in my /mnt/home folder.
The bootmanager does not seem to recognize the file. After I rename the file to "amarok.sfs" the bootloader does recognize the file and all seems OK.
After a restart of Puppy, I do find Amarok in the Multimedia-tab and after clicking on it I can see the Amarok splash screen for a moment but nothing else happens after that.
Am I missing something here or is the amarok_430-sfs4.sfs simply not usable with Quirky NOP?
Thanks for your kind reply.
Ronny
Probably not suitable. I think the Amarok you have there would have been compiled for Puppy 4.3*
Try starting it from a terminal, just open a terminal window and type amarok The output in the terminal window might tell you what is wrong.
Also check here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 963#444963

Also here http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LucidPuppyS ... comments=1
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Ronny

Re: Amarok for Quirky NOP 1.2

#80 Post by Ronny »

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your reply.
I tried the amarok-1.4-lucid.sfs form one of the links you provided but still no luck.
I have a frugal install on an ext3 partition and after putting it in my home folder and adding it thru the bootmanager, Puppy does not start anymore.
I get the message ..... performing a switch root to the filesystem .... kernel panic - not synching : attempted to kill init....
Same thing when I try to add the file to Puppy on USB stick.

So still no luck, I will have to search the forums on Puppy again. A good reason perhaps to learn a bit more about Linux and Puppy!!!
If I find a solution, I will post it here.
I really want to ad a music player style amarok or rhythmbox to my Puppy.
Ronny

Henry

Keeping spell checker current

#81 Post by Henry »

Good morning,

Still using and liking QNop 1.2 for my only business computer.

Here's a helpful hint for those who, like me, keep several different pup-save files, sometimes switching between them for test or backup reasons and who heavily use OpenOffice Writer.

The list of words added is standard.dic, which is normally inside the pupsave. It can be moved outside it, e.g. to /mnt/home /Repository/Oitxtensions. This prevents having to re-add all the words when using a different pup-save. To do this:

1. (first pupsave only) move /root/.config/.openoffice.org/3/user/wordbook/standard.dic to /mnt/home/Repository/OoExtensions/
(other pupsaves) delete /root/.config/.openoffice.org/3/user/wordbook/standard.dic

2. In terminal:
# ln -s /mnt/home/Repository/OoExtensions/standard.dic /root/.config/.openoffice.org/3/user/wordbook/
#

3. Note that /root/.config/.openoffice.org/3/user/wordbook/standard.dic appears as a symlink (with a green arrow).

I know this is a common technique, but someone might appreciate it being spelled out, so I did.

swiatmar

#82 Post by swiatmar »

Hello :D

I have a question about xfce and puppy.I have to say I like the Quirky NOP, but I miss some stuff from lupu 5.1.1. So I was thinking about change from jwm to xfce. Everything works fine. But there is one little thing. I have no idea how to bring xfce to mount mi drives on the desktop. NOP can do this. So I am asking how to managed it in XFCE. When I click on desktop settings and mount option nothing is happening. The mount system works somehow different in puppy and xfce can not handle it.
Any idea how to manage it .... :(

Geoffrey

Hotplug

#83 Post by Geoffrey »

swiatmar wrote:Hello :D

I have a question about xfce and puppy.I have to say I like the Quirky NOP, but I miss some stuff from lupu 5.1.1. So I was thinking about change from jwm to xfce. Everything works fine. But there is one little thing. I have no idea how to bring xfce to mount mi drives on the desktop. NOP can do this. So I am asking how to managed it in XFCE. When I click on desktop settings and mount option nothing is happening. The mount system works somehow different in puppy and xfce can not handle it.
Any idea how to manage it .... :(
This may be what you are looking for, hotpupx.pet, this pet is for NOP 301 but may work for you, there is a thread about it here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27319.

swiatmar

#84 Post by swiatmar »

Thank you Geoffrey!!
Hotpupx.pet works with puppy 5.1.1. Great :D

Rava

Resize personal storage file

#85 Post by Rava »

Hi folks, I am new to Puppy, but an "old timer" when it comes to Linux...
I searched the forum but not found the answer so far.

I currently run Quirky NOP 1.2 and made a 32 MB personal storage file, which sure is too small when running firefox and installing some plugins.

Now, I found the solution to resizing the storage file with "Menu > Utility > Resize personal storage file" and the red flashing window thingy tells me "strongly recommended to resize or delete files", but there is no such entry as "Resize personal storage file"...

Any ideas?

Can I resize the storage file with the shell/console?
If yes, how?

DaveS

Re: Resize personal storage file

#86 Post by DaveS »

Rava wrote:Hi folks, I am new to Puppy, but an "old timer" when it comes to Linux...
I searched the forum but not found the answer so far.

I currently run Quirky NOP 1.2 and made a 32 MB personal storage file, which sure is too small when running firefox and installing some plugins.

Now, I found the solution to resizing the storage file with "Menu > Utility > Resize personal storage file" and the red flashing window thingy tells me "strongly recommended to resize or delete files", but there is no such entry as "Resize personal storage file"...

Any ideas?

Can I resize the storage file with the shell/console?
If yes, how?
Menu>filesystem>resize personal storage file (?)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Rava

Re: Resize personal storage file

#87 Post by Rava »

DaveS wrote:Menu>filesystem>resize personal storage file (?)
Thanks Dave, silly me browsed that menu, but it seems I was too quick since I overlooked that entry. :?

Thanks a lot pal! :D

Rava

Firefox / Lastpass

#88 Post by Rava »

Another problem occurred:
I installed my favourite and needed FFx plugins: Noscript, Adblock Plus and Lastpass.
Now, NoScript and Adblock Plus work okay (like NoScript having its icon in the Status Bar), but I not get the Lastpass icon, that is a menu.
I need to type the URL to the lastpass vault by hand (or Dr. Copy and Mr. Paste it, since that chrome:// address won't work as link from a local page), but then I lack some of the entries and possibilities the Lastpass menu gives me.

I already tried via disabling the Tiny Menu plugin, but to no prevail, I just have not been able to get the Lastpass icon (that is a menu).
By default it is shown between the URL bar and the Search bar.

So far it worked with all Seamonkey and Firefox versions I use just fine, but it seems the FFx version for Quirky NOP 1.2 was tweaked too much.

Any ideas what to do so that I can see / get the Lastpass icon (that is a menu)?

[hr]

And another one: what is the root password to access the virtual console?
I found nothing in file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm ...

Cheers!

Henry

Future of QNop12?

#89 Post by Henry »

Not much happening here, and I guess that's good - gray left us a well-polished puppy. Heavily adapted, it's all I use.

Hope he is well, maybe quietly preparing a new surprise for us ;-)

By the way, I see the Nop repository has disappeared, along with all of Caneri's. What's up there?

Henry
http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm
Linux only: QNop12 Frugal, Opera11, Thunderbird2, Bluefish2, Oo3, SyncBack, Wine, ShuttleST62K, 1Gb, C4480 Printer-Scanner, LaserJet

elraven

quirky nop 1.2

#90 Post by elraven »

I have been trying out quirky nop 1.2 and i gotta tell ya. It's fast , simple ,and well gosh , it's a pleasure tp use. :P Thank you for a great puppy !
elraven 8)

russoodle

Re: Future of QNop12?

#91 Post by russoodle »

Henry wrote:...
By the way, I see the Nop repository has disappeared, along with all of Caneri's. What's up there?

Henry
Hi Henry,

Unfortunately for us all, Caneri's repo no longer exists - it's been shut down.
He gave us warning of this eventuality several months ago, but i for one always hoped for some magic to keep .ca and .asia alive :(

The only files i have of Gray's on my server are http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... 31-NOP.iso and http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... OP-120.iso and QuirkyNOP's md5....user: puppy and pawsword: linux for download.

Eric and the amazing contribution he made are already sorely missed around here..
Last edited by russoodle on Fri 03 Dec 2010, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

01micko

#92 Post by 01micko »

russoodle mirroring

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/quirkyNOP-120.iso

0a5c83fa3331cc32ed895d1e047f740d quirkyNOP-120.iso

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

russoodle

#93 Post by russoodle »

onya micko :D , your mdsum checks out with the one i've got..

..and i just noticed and fixed the capital 'Q' in my url.. :oops:

Edit: in the post below,
01micko wrote:Since you have a link on Page 1 of this thread, feel free to edit your post and add my link.. share the load :wink:
Good idea, have now done so.
01micko wrote:This is a good NOP this one, I found out many xfce tricks using it.. if it weren't for this my xfce4 package for lupu would not exist.
So Gray has done us a favour in more ways than one, with his excellent puplet :wink:
Wonder if he'll find his way back to the kennels in due course..
Last edited by russoodle on Fri 03 Dec 2010, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

01micko

#94 Post by 01micko »

russoodle

Since you have a link on Page 1 of this thread, feel free to edit your post and add my link.. share the load :wink:

This is a good NOP this one, I found out many xfce tricks using it.. if it weren't for this my xfce4 package for lupu would not exist.

Much thanks to smokey01 for ftp account.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Henry

Removing OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs prevents Opera from working.

#95 Post by Henry »

SOLUTION: The problem appeared exactly as described below, but the cause was unexpected. I did delete a lot of residual OpenOffice files.
I then tested a new Opera install by itself and found the fault was in my old profile, which apparently was incompatible with the new opera, causing the crash on start. So I accepted a new default profile and copied my bookmarks into it. I just have to retweak my Opera config now.

Embarrassing, and a little surprising that the OpenOffice sfs was needed to make the old profile work in Opera.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01micko wrote:
This is a good NOP this one, I found out many xfce tricks using it.. if it weren't for this my xfce4 package for lupu would not exist.
Yes indeed. I have used all the Nops as they appeared, upgrading through QNop12 with a highly developed save file.

Everything is perfect except for this problem - not a serious one but it bothers me.

My otherwise squeeky-clean frugal installation has:
QuirkyNop21 (2.6.33.2)
qrkysave.2fs, 688K in fat32 sda1
ext2 6G sda2 contains libreoffice-3.3.0.4 and Opera 11.01 "portable."
jre-1.6.0.22.pet is installed and working

The problem is :
Even though LibreOffice works perfectly, if i remove the now unused OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs from the boot manager, Opera will not start - actually it "tries" to start but quickly shows a black window titled "Opera needs to restart." It's the same whether I start it from the menu, a hot key, the xfce panel, or the default webrowser in /usr/local/bin, which have all been set up correctly. (I have used Opera for years outside the pup-save, whether in fat32 or ext2 and the problem is not version related.) It's a very consistent repeatable one that I have tested with several package permutations.

Not an easy problem (for me) to solve. Help will be welcome! Really not a big problem - everything works perfectly - I' m just stuck with an extra sfs. No one would know unless I mentioned it. ;-)
Last edited by Henry on Mon 31 Jan 2011, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.