Quirky NOP 1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Henry

New OpenOffice sfs with Java

#46 Post by Henry »

Good morning,

Another new sfs for OpenOffice-3.2.1. (First Oracle release)

Includes java. Works well with QNop. I suppose that was the plan:-)

And it's 16Mb smaller than openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs

Henry

VirtualBox in QuirkyNop 1.2

#47 Post by Henry »

Just to keep the discussion alive: Has anyone else tried or had success with VirtualBox in QNop 1.2? Or in Quirky 1.2 for that matter.

I presume gray is still working on it, and is probably the only one who will sort it out. Appreciated!

Meantime I was wondering if Qt4 might be a requirement. Tried that, but no change.

I have no urgency, since good old Nop still handles VirtualBox perfectly.

Henry

Henry

#48 Post by Henry »

I was unable to get anywhere with VirtualBox using gray's .pets, but have been scraping the forum and came up with an .sfs I'd like to try from
http://www.lhpup.org/download500.htm#Mariner_SFS

It's:

VirtualBox-3.2.4_k2.6.33.2.sfs

This shows some sign of being alive! It appears in the menu and a sign appears spontaneously saying to either start from the menu or type VirtualBox into a terminal. The menu does nothing, but the terminal complains that it can't find libpng14.so.14

i searched and found these four :
libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm
libpng14-14-1.4.3-4.7.i586.rpm
libpng14-14-32bit-1.4.3-2.1.x86_64.rpm
libpng14-14-32bit-1.4.3-4.7.x86_64.rpm

I obtained deb2pet.rpm2pet-0.0.4.pet and tried it. I got this -

Code: Select all

# deb2pet libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm
mkdir: can't create directory 'libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm': File exists
cp: `libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm' and `libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm' are the same file
/usr/local/bin/deb2pet: line 11: cd: libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm: Not a directory
dpkg-deb: failed to read archive `': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `': No such file or directory
tar: libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
rm: cannot remove `libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm.deb': No such file or directory
# 
Here is an explanation, I think -

http://old.nabble.com/configure-does-no ... 44337.html

Lots of trouble for something that may not even work ;-) Any suggestions?

gray

Virtualbox

#49 Post by gray »

Henry,

Sorry mate - bin busy. Try typing VirtualBox (capital V & B) into the terminal and post back here with the error message - then I may find out what is wrong, cos it works purfect 4 me.

Henry

Re: Virtualbox

#50 Post by Henry »

gray wrote:Henry,

Sorry mate - bin busy. Try typing VirtualBox (capital V & B) into the terminal and post back here with the error message - then I may find out what is wrong, cos it works purfect 4 me.
Naturally I had done that, being what it asked for, but here's what I got:

# VirtualBox
VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# 
It seems pretty clear now there's something wrong with my system, since both your .pets and this .sfs have not worked.

Henry

#51 Post by Henry »

gray,

As a further test I started with pfix=ram and created the simplest possible qrkysave, only with the .sfs and sdl-1.2.11 and mesa-7.6-q1

The terminal again gave:

# VirtualBox
VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# 
Last edited by Henry on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#52 Post by Henry »

gray,

Yet another test; I ran with pfix=ram and made a new test save file with only

sdl-1.2.11
mesa-7.6-q1
virtualbox-3.2.6-k2.6.33.2-q1.pet
virtualbox_guest_additions-3.2.6-k2.6.33.2-q1.pet
installed in that order.

Rebooted and saved. depmod-FULL and rebooted.

VirtualBox menu did nothing notable.

VirtualBox in terminal gave this:

# VirtualBox
VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libvga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# 
I searched and finally found a libvga.1.4.3 folder containing libvga.so.1.4.3, which I renamed libvga.so.1 and copied into /usr/lib/.

I don't know if that's legal but finally the VirtualBox window opened!

Now back to my regular qirkysave and see if I can do anything there.
Last edited by Henry on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

SOLVED - Time for a progress report/summary - SOLVED

#53 Post by Henry »

@gray and all,

Progress report, updated and closed:

I have been trying two different qrkysaves in my effort to get VirtualBox working in Quirky Nop 1.2-

One, using gray's two pets
Yesterday I didn't know how to import my old "appliance" (the 3Gb win2k.vdi I have been using with Nop ), not having done an import before. I have figured it out, and this is what I will be using. I am storing the virtual hard disk, etc. in /mnt/home/virtualbox/.

Very pleased with gray's as usual fine work!

-------------------------

Another, using the one sfs
As I described above. I was interested in this arrangement, being outside the save file in /mnt/home/.

But it didn't work yet for me; I am abandoning further effort on it. (technical details edited out)

--------------------------

So I am replacing Nop 431r2 with QuirkyNop 1.2 as my "real computer." Thanks for your patience with all my posts on this.

It helps me to talk such problems through, and there's always a chance someone on the sidelines will have a good suggestion (or even learn something :-)
Last edited by Henry on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 22:41, edited 7 times in total.

DaveS

#54 Post by DaveS »

Sometimes its a struggle Henry, no?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

#55 Post by Henry »

DaveS wrote:Sometimes its a struggle Henry, no?
Well, it is for me :-)

DemostiX

#56 Post by DemostiX »

I have been unable to find consistent save file behavior for Quirky Nop 1.2, though I prefer to it the 4.3.1 release I've been using.

If I boot with CD priority, with Nop on a CD, and with the USB stick already plugged in, the pup-430.sfs gets seen, and I wind up with Puppy 4.3(x).

How can I use Nop 1.2, create a save file with various settings to the same USB stick that holds a pupxxxx.sfs from another puplet, without attempting to use Grub to partition the USB?

In general, is it possible to try different puplets, each from a CD boot disk, and save settings to save files, the one appropriate to the particular selected by the user when invited during the next boot?

DaveS

#57 Post by DaveS »

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

smil99

Xfce-4.6.2.pet please

#58 Post by smil99 »

Great job Gray!
Can you make available for download the Xfce-4.6.2.pet so that one can try on other builds of puppy? Specifically, I would like to test on lucipup.

Thanks and cheers.

Sage

#59 Post by Sage »

Have to say this one has been a real treasure so far as a liveCD, but following a FULL install, have been unable to get any video card, any m/b, any subterfuge, any menu selection to give me a picture on my old Dell 17" lcd (it was a gift!).
Many of the video options check out using the 'Test' facility, but every time we end up at the prompt. Have tried all the drivers on offer - no go. [Incidentally, I don't care for that user selection for the sake of the minority intent on using cr*p Intel products - every other Puppy since v1.4, where I came in, has provided me with a picture outa da box].
You'll never satisfy the few, so why not revert to your previous philosophy, gray, and stuff the rest - even if it's YT !

Geoffrey

#60 Post by Geoffrey »

Nice distro, good to see that Firefox is in this version though it seems to have a fault, when the homepage is set in the preferences it doesn't work, when Firefox is restarted it opens a untitled blank page, I've tried disabling the addons and theme putting it back to standard, also updating to version 3.6.8, but to no effect, this has me baffled, I will persist to try and find the problem though.

But other than that I find this version quite good

EDIT: tried it on a full hdd install on another machine, still the same won't function as it should, I installed firefox 3.6.4beta from the package manager this works but has missing lib files
Attachments
firefox 3.6.4beta.gif
(34.49 KiB) Downloaded 2329 times

Geoffrey

#61 Post by Geoffrey »

Found the problem, it's in /usr/share/applications/FireFox web browser.
it reads

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=FireFox web browser
Icon=/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/www48.png
Comment=FireFox web browser
Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WebBrowser
GenericName=FireFox web browser
MimeType=text/html;

remove the "$@" from Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
then it works as it should.

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

Here is the Minty theme if anyone wants it:
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

Final polish

#63 Post by Henry »

My main and only computer, reformed on QNop 1.2 is finished and in heavy use. I'm very pleased with it. VirtualBox is good. Quite zippy with 480Mb memory assigned.

But some of the icons in the lower panel could be improved -

No problem with the normal "launcher" ones. I'm referring to the special "built-in" ones like clipman, screenshooter, trashcan, and in particular the tiny retrovol icon.

EDIT: I looked at the retrovol speaker, and it's relatively easy to change.

/usr/share/retrovol/images/
has .png files for high, medium, low, and muted. Simply copy over these whatever images you prefer - color coded, empty/full, same, etc. A decent set is already to be found in

/usr/share/icons/Neu-blue/48x48/status/
but is overcomplicated. I like one based on kmix, an upward facing speaker about 36x36.

The Xfce icons can be changed too, e.g. for the clipboard overwrite

/usr/share/icons/Neu-blue/48x48/actions/gtk-paste.png
See the new speaker icon at:
http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm

Max Headroom

G'day Gray or Any 1 eLse Able 2 Help, Please!

#64 Post by Max Headroom »

8) I've installed Grays NVidia Driver Package NVIDIA-256.35-k2.6.33.2-q1 Appropriate 4 Me Card & the New Ke*nel, libwnck-2.23.4-i686 ( eMerald Theme Manager ), & Compiz-0.8.4

They Show as installed in the PPM, But they All also have this same Missing Dependency "libgnomeprint xdelta3" According 2 Puppys' Dependency Checker?

This issue has Never Occurred B4, I've Searched the Forum & Googled the Web 4 answers, But in Vain!

How do I Fix this Please?

Ronny

Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M

#65 Post by Ronny »

Hi Guys,

I downloaded Quirky 1.2 which would really suit me well I think.
After searching for quite some time without finding anything, I would like to ask my question here:

I have a Dell D630 laptop with a Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M graphics chip.
Is there an existing .pet that I can use or is there another way to install a driver for that model.
Thanks a lot

Ronny (fairly new to Linux)