Quirky NOP 1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sylvander

#31 Post by Sylvander »

Read posts #254 through #257 on page 11 of my Puppy Linux thread at the PC-Guide.

#257 explains how I changed the size of the partition/drive icons. :D

Now need to know how to change the spacing. :?

DaveS

#32 Post by DaveS »

Sylvander wrote:Read posts #254 through #257 on page 11 of my Puppy Linux thread at the PC-Guide.

#257 explains how I changed the size of the partition/drive icons. :D

Now need to know how to change the spacing. :?
Not promising, see here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16666
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sylvander

#33 Post by Sylvander »

Thanks Dave, but wary of attempting such stuff.
Like to keep things so they seem simple to me.

New problem:
(a) This is the only Puppy that won't save the internet connection settings for eth0 once established and functioning during a session.
Other Puppies that work OK:
Lighthouse-4.43f
Teenpup mini 2010 beta
Lupu-501
Boxpup-431
qrky-120

(b) It's almost acceptably easy and quick to go through the procedure at the beginning of each new session, but I'm not prepared to ask family members to do that, nor do it myself.

2. Just yesterday fitted for the 1st time a wireless router [D-Link DIR-615 ver.D4].
It has been routine and easy to set that up.
Easiest in Win2000Pro because the supplied CD ran a wizard.
Couldn't find a wizard in any Puppies that would do the job.
In each Puppy, had to use the IP address for the router in a web-browser, but that was then pretty easy to complete.

DaveS

#34 Post by DaveS »

Sylvander wrote:Just yesterday fitted for the 1st time a wireless router [D-Link DIR-615 ver.D4].
It has been routine and easy to set that up.
Easiest in Win2000Pro because the supplied CD ran a wizard.
In each Puppy, had to use the IP address for the router in a web-browser, but that was then pretty easy to complete.
Could you not just use the internet connection wizard? menu>setup>internet connection wizard>internet by wired or wireless LAN>simple network setup>wlan0 ?

Not saving network settings comes up often. I think you have to add a boot parameter, something like acpid=force, but I am not sure.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sylvander

#35 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Could you not just use the internet connection wizard? menu>setup>internet connection wizard>internet by wired or wireless LAN>simple network setup>wlan0 ?"
If I try:
(a) "Simple Network Setup"...
It shows right now that:
"Currently there is a working internet connection, on interface "eth0"".

(b) "Classic Network Wizard"...
Says, "Puppy has identified the following network interface on your computer, but it still needs to be configured"...
Actually it doesn't because it has already been configured, and is functioning.

(c) Seems these wizards only set up the NIC, NOT the ROUTER!
I had to set up the router by using a web-browser.
Type the IP address into the address bar and hit enter, and ALMOST every time it brought up a window [generated by the router?] that was the beginning of the procedure to configure the router's internal settings.
Didn't find that difficult. :D

2. "Not saving network settings comes up often. I think you have to add a boot parameter, something like acpid=force"
Exactly how is that done?
Which file must be edited?

3. New question:
I notice that sometimes there is a big difference between CPU usage on the CPU-graph widget, and the CPU display in the system tray at bottom right.
When the widget is showing little CPU usage, the tray display can be maxed out [purple = solid to the top].

Henry

Connection holds as expected

#36 Post by Henry »

Sylvander wrote: . . .
New problem:
(a) This is the only Puppy that won't save the internet connection settings for eth0 once established and functioning during a session. . .
Just to note that I don't see any such problem (if I understand it right). But I use the same wired eth0 I always have.

Henry

Sylvander

#37 Post by Sylvander »

1. "I don't see any such problem"
Think I've solved the problem.
(a) I have my system configured to not save during the session, and I installed SavePuppy.pup, and made a save2flash icon for the program on the desktop/pinboard, and use that to MANUALLY save during the session.

(b) Also made additional changes so that the session isn't automatically saved at shut-down, but instead I'm asked [at shut-down] whether I want to save the session [yes/no].

(c) Further:
In this Puppy, there is a tick-box [tick to save the session for future logins] in the "log out root" window.

(d) When I use all 3 ways to save...
Manually
Tick-box
Yes to save the session at shut-down.
...The web-connect configurations are saved apparently, because they function during the following session.
I'm wondering...
If I leave the tick-box unticked...
Does that prevent a further save during shut-down, even if I answer yes to a save at shut-down?
i.e Must BOTH be set to save, else it doesn't?

Henry

Re: Virtualbox

#38 Post by Henry »

gray wrote:Henry,

You jumped the gun a bit mate. Just re-uploaded the pet.
To fix your problem try the entering the depmod-FULL command in the terminal and then re-start the computer.
VB depends on SDL and OpenGL.
Have you installed an SDL pet from the quirky repo ?
For OpenGl you need either the mesa pet or if you have an NVIDIA card then my NVIDIA pet includes OpenGL.
Good morning, gray,

I uninstalled, redownloaded, and reinstalled both .pets (did not see any change to their date or size. Did I jump the gun? :-))

I installed sdl-1.2.11 and mesa-7.6-q1. Rebooted, depmod-FULL, but no start.

Something odd here: VirtualBox appears in the menu. When I search for virtualbox.desktop, it finds two locations, i.e. /usr/share/applications/virtualbox.desktop and /opt/ virtualbox/virtualbox.desktop. But when I navigate to those locations it's not there!

Henry

Question on Xfce details?

#39 Post by Henry »

In the upper right corner of windows there's an inverted v just left of the minimize -. I didn't have it in Nop. It's just clutter for me, since I never use "rollups." Can this be removed?

In the lower panel, minimized applications are shown by an icon. In Nop these were shown by a small icon and the name of the application. Is this a matter of choice? I sometimes overlook an available setting.

Nothing earth-shaking here.

magerlab

#40 Post by magerlab »

these two things can be easily changed by adjusting xfce4 settings

firstly find Settings in menu - xfce4 Settings manager. find window manager button and you'll see that you can do there :)

then right click on panel , find Add New Item and you can add a " conventional" task list to panel
and also remove Icon box if you want( i keep it on netbook and do not use it on desktop)

Also there are many things inside Xfce4 settings manager ( composite effects and focus model for example) :D

DaveS

#41 Post by DaveS »

Set up some transparency effects via settings manager

If anyone knows how, would really like to install the Xorg-High graphics driver. tried using the one from Luci but it fails to install.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#42 Post by DaveS »

Hi Gray.... quick question: when a window is open, an icon for the running application is displayed in the notification area to the left, at the bottom of the screen. Where does XFCE store this icon information, as the one for Gnumeric does not work and I would like to correct it thanks?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

#43 Post by Henry »

magerlab wrote:these two things can be easily changed by adjusting xfce4 settings
. . . :D
Thank you, Magerlab,

I had forgotten how. Getting old I guess.

Henry

#44 Post by Henry »

Good morning, gray,

Just to recapitulate -

I wrote:
Something odd here: VirtualBox appears in the menu.
When I search for virtualbox.desktop, it finds two locations, i.e. /usr/share/applications/virtualbox.desktop and /opt/ virtualbox/virtualbox.desktop.
But when I navigate to those locations it's not there!
I just rechecked, and this is actually what I observed! Maybe the .pet is wrong? Could you please confirm the correct download link?

Otherwise, Qnop is very fine and seems very robust, considering how hard I've been exercising it :-)

Henry

Henry

DELETED - Please remove post, thanks.

#45 Post by Henry »

-
Last edited by Henry on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 22:43, edited 2 times in total.

Henry

New OpenOffice sfs with Java

#46 Post by Henry »

Good morning,

Another new sfs for OpenOffice-3.2.1. (First Oracle release)

Includes java. Works well with QNop. I suppose that was the plan:-)

And it's 16Mb smaller than openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs

Henry

VirtualBox in QuirkyNop 1.2

#47 Post by Henry »

Just to keep the discussion alive: Has anyone else tried or had success with VirtualBox in QNop 1.2? Or in Quirky 1.2 for that matter.

I presume gray is still working on it, and is probably the only one who will sort it out. Appreciated!

Meantime I was wondering if Qt4 might be a requirement. Tried that, but no change.

I have no urgency, since good old Nop still handles VirtualBox perfectly.

Henry

Henry

#48 Post by Henry »

I was unable to get anywhere with VirtualBox using gray's .pets, but have been scraping the forum and came up with an .sfs I'd like to try from
http://www.lhpup.org/download500.htm#Mariner_SFS

It's:

VirtualBox-3.2.4_k2.6.33.2.sfs

This shows some sign of being alive! It appears in the menu and a sign appears spontaneously saying to either start from the menu or type VirtualBox into a terminal. The menu does nothing, but the terminal complains that it can't find libpng14.so.14

i searched and found these four :
libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm
libpng14-14-1.4.3-4.7.i586.rpm
libpng14-14-32bit-1.4.3-2.1.x86_64.rpm
libpng14-14-32bit-1.4.3-4.7.x86_64.rpm

I obtained deb2pet.rpm2pet-0.0.4.pet and tried it. I got this -

Code: Select all

# deb2pet libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm
mkdir: can't create directory 'libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm': File exists
cp: `libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm' and `libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm' are the same file
/usr/local/bin/deb2pet: line 11: cd: libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm: Not a directory
dpkg-deb: failed to read archive `': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `': No such file or directory
tar: libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
rm: cannot remove `libpng14-14-1.4.3-2.1.i586.rpm.deb': No such file or directory
# 
Here is an explanation, I think -

http://old.nabble.com/configure-does-no ... 44337.html

Lots of trouble for something that may not even work ;-) Any suggestions?

gray

Virtualbox

#49 Post by gray »

Henry,

Sorry mate - bin busy. Try typing VirtualBox (capital V & B) into the terminal and post back here with the error message - then I may find out what is wrong, cos it works purfect 4 me.

Henry

#50 Post by Henry »

gray wrote:Henry,

Sorry mate - bin busy. Try typing VirtualBox (capital V & B) into the terminal and post back here with the error message - then I may find out what is wrong, cos it works purfect 4 me.
Naturally I had done that, being what it asked for, but here's what I got:

Code: Select all

# VirtualBox
VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# 
It seems pretty clear now there's something wrong with my system, since both your .pets and this .sfs have not worked.