Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Will C-Media 8738SX 6 ch sound card work with Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2006, 20:34    Post_subject:  Will C-Media 8738SX 6 ch sound card work with Puppy?  

hi to all...

first i woud like to say i'm very happy with puppy! it is excellent, easy and it's opened me world of Linux...

now my question...
i have puppy on old recycled computer, celeron 366mhz / 64mb ram and i decide to plug in some sound card for listening mp3 files. i try old iso card but it is not working and i'm beginner in linux, so i decide to by some new sound card. of course i don't won't to give lot of money so i find this card fo 10 euro - C-Media 8738SX 6 ch [url=http://www.ve-mil.hr/opis.aspx?sifra=4817&Provjera=632741791759429185)](link)[/url]

my question is: will this card work file with puppy? will i need advanced skills to install it, or just plug and play? in case it won't work, can u tell me some sound card that will match with puppy?

tnx for help...
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2006, 20:49    Post_subject:  

Puppy Singer Puppy 1.0.8, is all going well, moving from the OSS to ALSA sound system. We should have better and more support for a greater variety of sound cards

These are the cards currently known to work with Puppy as of version 1.0.7

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SoundCardsWorking

Hope that helps Smile

Edited_time_total
jmarsden

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2006, 21:15    Post_subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Puppy Singer (Puppy 1.0.Cool

An interesting new version numbering system? I recommend turning off smilies to see that this is really 1.0.8 . Using the preview button also helps avoid accidents like this.

Jonathan
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2006, 22:34    Post_subject:  

I personally use ALSA, but if Puppy's existing OSS drivers support your card ... go ahead and use them.
Your driver is cmpci. Run "lsmod" to see if Puppy has automatically loaded it. If not, try to load it manually - "modprobe cmpci".

There's also a good chance your old ISA sound card would work with OSS drivers, too.
chombila

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan 2006, 11:59    Post_subject:  

tnx all for suggestions...

i solve my problem with inserting old iso sound card and runing "modprobe sb", but now i have problem with freezing my computer...

when i run xmms and firefox together with some mp3 files playing, my computer is working for 5-10min, and then when i try to switch programs system get frozen...

whats could be problem: firefox? xmms? old sound card? will i repair something with ALSA?

tnx greate people... Smile
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2006, 01:17    Post_subject:  

So far I've had no success with ISA sound cards. They have a distinct advantage - many incorporate a small amplifier which is adequate to drive a pair of hi fi speakers in a small room to give outstanding quality if not volume.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum