getting the apps to recognize the internet connection ??

Booting, installing, newbie
cmbs

getting the apps to recognize the internet connection ??

#1 Post by cmbs »

Hi.

I am a total newbie at this and some of the terminology is unfamiliar. Just so you hopefully write answers in really simple to understand language. :)

I got Puppy Linux and put it on a dvd-rw and rebooted and started up the Puppy just fine. My problem is that even though the programs that connect to the internet say I'm connected, the apps say I'm not and won't connect. Browser won't connect. Can't download new ones with that app that offers.

When it scans, it finds a live eth0 connection. When I follow that path and set it up, it will finally say I'm connected! But the apps don't recognize the connection.

Same thing when I try with the PPPoE method. If I follow the program to set it up, it'll say I'm connected, but the apps don't connect.

I tried the 5.1.1 Lucid version, and the 5.1.1 Quickset version (because I saw it recommended to another newbie). I even tried an older version I had, 3.01. Same exact results with each one. I would like to use the Quickset version, if it's not a problem.

I've got AT&T DSL. It says I'm connected at 100.0 Mps.
A 2.66 Ghz CPU, 1.5 Gb RAM.
Windows XP, Home Edition.
My computer is a Dell from 2004.
I'm not sure what else you need to know?

Help getting me connected would be really awesome!

Also, how do I find out WHERE the modem driver is on windows?? I can find where it tells the kind of modem, but have no clue as to how to find the driver file, in case that would help with Linux?

Thanks. :)

This looks very interesting if I can get the internet connection working.

SOLUTION:
Had to go to the AT&T ezLogin page and log in through there. The modem's internet light is green. Then when opening Puppy Linux, it was already connected to the internet, no wizards or setup needed. Can also be turned off and on through the AT&T ezLogin page while in Puppy Linux.
Last edited by cmbs on Tue 30 Nov 2010, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

noryb009

#2 Post by noryb009 »

Can you connect, then open console (on desktop) and type:

Code: Select all

ping google.com
Does it say it can't connect?
(if it doesn't stop, press Ctrl + C)

cmbs

#3 Post by cmbs »

Hi.

I did what you said and nothing happened at all. Connected first. At least the programs say so. I did it with the eth0 and the pppoe too. The pppoe seems more reliable because at least it asks me for my sign in name and password. Can't connect to the network without that, right?

If it helps, when I try to connect with the browser to a website, I get a page saying cannot resolve hostname. When I try to download a browser, and I also tried to download a package too, I get a bright pink rectangle that says can't download, please connect to internet.

Thanks.

I hope it gets figured out soon.

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

Change the channel??

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62362

Also a link to my weird way of connecting.

A last last resort.

Chris.

cmbs

#5 Post by cmbs »

Hi.

I read the thread you referred me to but it's specific to wifi and I don't have wifi so it didn't help.

I have AT&T DSL and only this one computer hooked to it, with wires.

Thanks anyway.

cmbs

Success!

#6 Post by cmbs »

Figured it out!

I usually use a windows connection to sign on and off the internet because I don't want to be connected all the time and that's the only option the AT&T login gives me. The modem always says I'm not connected, because I didn't go through the AT&T page. But obviously I am connected regardless of what the modem says.

So I connected to the internet through the regular login and left it, and the modem was already running when I signed onto Puppy Linux. That's what it does - runs all the time. No connection wizards needed.

Thanks for the attempted help. :)

This is awesome.