ciento

#151 Post by ciento »

put these words in google, after you make a new pot of coffee :wink:

rosegarden timer 1000 kernel patch

siabost

#152 Post by siabost »

Thanks ciento.

How about a pot of tea?

Thought I'd been through all the Rosegarden stuff but after doing your Google I found this (it confirms my suspicions since my last post):
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/fre ... _questions
[quote]What does "System timer resolution is too low" mean?

If you see this message in an error dialog when Rosegarden starts up, then you are probably using a Linux kernel that doesn't offer sufficiently high-resolution system timers for MIDI use.

Rosegarden uses ALSA sequencer queue scheduling (inside the Linux kernel) for its MIDI output. The sequencer queue can use a variety of timing sources, of which the default is the kernel system timer. The kernel system timer was 1000 Hz in Linux 2.6 kernels up to 2.6.12, but as of 2.6.13 it's now 250 Hz in mainline kernels. This is not good enough for good MIDI timing.

Your options are:

1. Switch the sequencer to use a different timing source (Settings → Configure Rosegarden… → MIDI → Sequencer timing source). The best one in theory is the RTC timer, which is only available if you have snd-rtctimer loaded, but unfortunately that has a habit of totally locking some systems running real-time kernels. Meanwhile, the PCM timers only work if the JACK audio server is running, and suffer jitter corresponding to the JACK buffer size.

2. Recompile your kernel with system timer set to 1000 Hz. Sadly there's no way to change this without a recompile. It's the best solution though.

3. Switch to a different Linux distribution that provides a kernel more appropriate for multimedia use.

4. Put up with the poorer timing of a 250 Hz timer (if you want to get rid of the warning while continuing to use this timer, set the timer source to “system timer

calexand

#153 Post by calexand »

Anybody else having trouble reaching the download site for version 3.1? All I can find are the pet folder and a link for the parent directory...
CA

siabost

#154 Post by siabost »

@calexand

Me too... :(

P123

#155 Post by P123 »

Same problem. :cry:

calexand

#156 Post by calexand »

Hello Lowtech,
Appears to be a problem with access to your storage/download area, can this be repaired, many of us are chomping at the bits to get your latest creation?
Again, thanks for all your hard work!
CA

l0wt3ch

#157 Post by l0wt3ch »

Hey guys.

Thanks for the bug report about midi and the new kernel. I don't actually use midi, so I had no way of knowing. (Any firewire testers out there? :-) )

As for the downloading problems, I shall message russoodle (who generously hosts my iso files), and see.

I'm actually working out of town right now, and don't have a computer. But I'll see what I can do about that midi problem when I get back.
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 16:16, edited 2 times in total.

russoodle

accessing the folders

#158 Post by russoodle »

Hi guys,

Just tuned in and saw the posts about d/l issues....should be right to go now, i changed the permissions and the folders are now showing when you click the d/l link....sorry for inconvenience :? Go get 'em! :D

@10wt3ch: there've been several visitors who've followed links from softpedia and elsewhere who are still looking to d/l your other releases, even v1.9, so if you want to restore any back onto the server, that's ok.

Have a great weekend, all..
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

l0wt3ch

#159 Post by l0wt3ch »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

I hadn't thought of those following links to older versions, but I deleted them from your server because they take up so much space, and because the new version far exceeds the old ones. It has everything the old ones did, but MUCH smaller. (And with an RT kernel, to boot!) Unfortunately, I'm in no position to upload right now. (Too bad I couldn't redirect those people to this post!)

Thanks again, russoodle!

RetroTechGuy

#160 Post by RetroTechGuy »

l0wt3ch wrote:Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

I hadn't thought of those following links to older versions, but I deleted them from your server because they take up so much space, and because the new version far exceeds the old ones. It has everything the old ones did, but MUCH smaller. (And with an RT kernel, to boot!) Unfortunately, I'm in no position to upload right now. (Too bad I couldn't redirect those people to this post!)

Thanks again, russoodle!
Could a symbolic link from the (missing) old version point to the current version? Or simply direct them to the base folder....
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

ciento

#161 Post by ciento »

Thanks for the new improved version! Just in time for the weekend :)
Only 376 meg 8)
Do they even allow megabytes on the Redland campus? :P
Cheers

l0wt3ch

#162 Post by l0wt3ch »

No prob, ciento! Glad you like!

What's Redland campus? :?:

ciento

#163 Post by ciento »

l0wt3ch wrote:No prob, ciento! Glad you like!

What's Redland campus? :?:
OOPS , meant to type 'Redmond', home of Microsoft,
and host to the 2010 Balmerville follies :wink:

acrocosm

#164 Post by acrocosm »

How can I install nvidia drivers on that? All my attempts have failed. I'm using 3.1lite, great work btw ^_^

EDIT: Ok, I tried downloading puppy kernel_src-2.6.33.5-patched.sfs on which then applied the rt patch for that version from this place. After applying the patch I renamed /usr/src/linux-26.33.5 to linux-26.33.5-rt25 and, hopefully, fixed the linux simlink to point to that folder.

I also downloaded and installed 5.1.1 devx and got the latest drivers from nvidia. I then exited x and run nvidia setup. I get an error message that nvidia.ko can't be load and then exit the installer. Searching system files did not find nvidia.ko.

Are those the right steps and I just messed it up somewhere or I need to do something else??

EDIT2: I forgot to mention this is a HD. I like the change in splash and background images.

About blender, I have run 2.54 on standard lucid 5.1.1, just downloaded from the official site, with python installed first. It appears to run just fine.

ciento

#165 Post by ciento »

For guitar players, the new Mustang digital amps from Fender are great
for linux, its sound can be sent over usb to rakarrack and vsts via wine supported vsthosts like Reaper, at the same time!. Talk about fathoms and fathoms of sound potential!

It has 24 presets, 3 for each
of 8 classic fender amps. Turning the preset dial then changes whatever you cooked up via rakarrack/guitarix/vst plugins yada yada.

!6 of the 24 presets can be edited/saved from the amp, the first 8 need a windows app to save the modifications, (and allow deeper access to more modeled gear). $99 and $199 is the standard price in the shops, for the 8" 20 watt, and 12" 40 watt versions, and the sound is amazing, even tube-only advocates are admitting these are great additions
to their collection.

The headphone out is also very noise-free, allowing more connection, and a 1/8" input is there for mp3/CD/aux to play along with. There is no midi
on the amp, so extra devices would have to use rakarrack or other linux connection points In qjackctl, it lists as Mustang amp, and usb audio device.
:) should be in the shops everywhere from Australia to Alaska!

l0wt3ch

#166 Post by l0wt3ch »

acrocosm wrote:How can I install nvidia drivers on that? All my attempts have failed. I'm using 3.1lite, great work btw ^_^

EDIT: Ok, I tried downloading puppy kernel_src-2.6.33.5-patched.sfs on which then applied the rt patch for that version from this place. After applying the patch I renamed /usr/src/linux-26.33.5 to linux-26.33.5-rt25 and, hopefully, fixed the linux simlink to point to that folder.

I also downloaded and installed 5.1.1 devx and got the latest drivers from nvidia. I then exited x and run nvidia setup. I get an error message that nvidia.ko can't be load and then exit the installer. Searching system files did not find nvidia.ko.

Are those the right steps and I just messed it up somewhere or I need to do something else??
It's more complicated than that, I'm afraid.

But if I can get the source packages used by the Lucid Puppy project, I could compile new video drivers. Maybe I could even change the links in Quickpet somehow so it downloads them automatically like it used to.

Mind you, I can't even get people to test the firewire drivers.

calexand

#167 Post by calexand »

Lowtech,
Sorry, can't help with testing the firewire. Firewire only available on my older G4 Macs.
If you ever decide to port this to PPC, however... :D
CA

siabost

#168 Post by siabost »

Hi All,
Thanks for the bug report about midi and the new kernel. I don't actually use midi, so I had no way of knowing. (Any firewire testers out there? Smile )
Might be firewired in the near future, l0wt3ch, but not yet - my olde laptop has the port & I'm informed that Firewire's the way to go for external audio hardware in Linux even if, in my case, USB2 might be (potentially) faster.

I mostly play geetarr (Musicman) too but have been dabbling in MIDI of late - hence Rosegarden etc.

Also keen on Rakarrak even though I have to turn down its settings so my Celery powered Compaq R3000 (2005 vintage) doesn't max out all the time.

I'd like to compile the latest stable version of Rakarrak (0.5.8) but not sure how in Pup. Done it in Ubuntu. So if anyone has any pointers as to the basic packages I need for compiling in general and how to load them 'twould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

ciento

#169 Post by ciento »

https://launchpad.net/~autostatic/+arch ... ld/1895285

This links to a .deb of rakarrack 6.something, probably the best version,
lots of fixes, less cpu usage.
Cheers
(have had roughly equal quantities of tea and coffee this week,
and a little honey and raspberry sorbet' in some scalding tea for a hot
drink in the cold evenings, to keep the fingers limber.) :)

acrocosm

#170 Post by acrocosm »

l0wt3ch wrote:It's more complicated than that, I'm afraid.

But if I can get the source packages used by the Lucid Puppy project, I could compile new video drivers. Maybe I could even change the links in Quickpet somehow so it downloads them automatically like it used to.

Mind you, I can't even get people to test the firewire drivers.
Well, I've got an internal audigy 2 and nothing to connect to the firewire port. But I can definitely test nvidia drivers ^_^