Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 06:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition"
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 11 of 13 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
ciento

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010, 20:00    Post_subject:  

put these words in google, after you make a new pot of coffee Wink

rosegarden timer 1000 kernel patch
siabost

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 03:07    Post_subject:  

Thanks ciento.

How about a pot of tea?

Thought I'd been through all the Rosegarden stuff but after doing your Google I found this (it confirms my suspicions since my last post):
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/frequently_asked_questions
Quote:
What does "System timer resolution is too low" mean?

If you see this message in an error dialog when Rosegarden starts up, then you are probably using a Linux kernel that doesn't offer sufficiently high-resolution system timers for MIDI use.

Rosegarden uses ALSA sequencer queue scheduling (inside the Linux kernel) for its MIDI output. The sequencer queue can use a variety of timing sources, of which the default is the kernel system timer. The kernel system timer was 1000 Hz in Linux 2.6 kernels up to 2.6.12, but as of 2.6.13 it's now 250 Hz in mainline kernels. This is not good enough for good MIDI timing.

Your options are:

1. Switch the sequencer to use a different timing source (Settings → Configure Rosegarden… → MIDI → Sequencer timing source). The best one in theory is the RTC timer, which is only available if you have snd-rtctimer loaded, but unfortunately that has a habit of totally locking some systems running real-time kernels. Meanwhile, the PCM timers only work if the JACK audio server is running, and suffer jitter corresponding to the JACK buffer size.

2. Recompile your kernel with system timer set to 1000 Hz. Sadly there's no way to change this without a recompile. It's the best solution though.

3. Switch to a different Linux distribution that provides a kernel more appropriate for multimedia use.

4. Put up with the poorer timing of a 250 Hz timer (if you want to get rid of the warning while continuing to use this timer, set the timer source to “system timer” rather than ”(auto)”).

Hopefully future versions of Rosegarden and/or the Linux kernel will provide better ways to solve this problem.

If you don't want to recompile your kernel and are running (K)Ubuntu, you can choose a lowlatency kernel from the repository (search for it with synaptic or your favorite tool). Install the new kernel and reboot. This will solve the problem and remove the lag.

Thinking back, when I used the Ubuntu version, a change to the latest Ubuntu RT kernel solved the problem.

Looks like Option 2 is the solution but recompiling a kernel is beyond me. Any chance that that renowned expert and wizard l0wt3ch could step into the breach...? Very Happy

Downloaded the Puppy Book BTW and it's compulsory night time reading.

Now, where's that tea....

Thanks all.
calexand

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 03:32    Post_subject:  

Anybody else having trouble reaching the download site for version 3.1? All I can find are the pet folder and a link for the parent directory...
CA
siabost

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 03:38    Post_subject:  

@calexand

Me too... Sad
P123

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 12:37    Post_subject:  

Same problem. Crying or Very sad
calexand

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 14:59    Post_subject:  

Hello Lowtech,
Appears to be a problem with access to your storage/download area, can this be repaired, many of us are chomping at the bits to get your latest creation?
Again, thanks for all your hard work!
CA
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 22:05    Post_subject:  

Hey guys.

Thanks for the bug report about midi and the new kernel. I don't actually use midi, so I had no way of knowing. (Any firewire testers out there? Smile )

As for the downloading problems, I shall message russoodle (who generously hosts my iso files), and see.

I'm actually working out of town right now, and don't have a computer. But I'll see what I can do about that midi problem when I get back.

Edited_times_total
russoodle

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 22:19    Post_subject: accessing the folders
Sub_title: all ok now

Hi guys,

Just tuned in and saw the posts about d/l issues....should be right to go now, i changed the permissions and the folders are now showing when you click the d/l link....sorry for inconvenience Confused Go get 'em! Very Happy

@10wt3ch: there've been several visitors who've followed links from softpedia and elsewhere who are still looking to d/l your other releases, even v1.9, so if you want to restore any back onto the server, that's ok.

Have a great weekend, all..

l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 22:30    Post_subject:  

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

I hadn't thought of those following links to older versions, but I deleted them from your server because they take up so much space, and because the new version far exceeds the old ones. It has everything the old ones did, but MUCH smaller. (And with an RT kernel, to boot!) Unfortunately, I'm in no position to upload right now. (Too bad I couldn't redirect those people to this post!)

Thanks again, russoodle!
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 22:39    Post_subject:  

l0wt3ch wrote:
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

I hadn't thought of those following links to older versions, but I deleted them from your server because they take up so much space, and because the new version far exceeds the old ones. It has everything the old ones did, but MUCH smaller. (And with an RT kernel, to boot!) Unfortunately, I'm in no position to upload right now. (Too bad I couldn't redirect those people to this post!)

Thanks again, russoodle!

Could a symbolic link from the (missing) old version point to the current version? Or simply direct them to the base folder....

ciento

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct 2010, 02:18    Post_subject:  

Thanks for the new improved version! Just in time for the weekend Smile
Only 376 meg Cool
Do they even allow megabytes on the Redland campus? Razz
Cheers
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct 2010, 21:47    Post_subject:  

No prob, ciento! Glad you like!

What's Redland campus? Question
ciento

PostPosted: Sun 03 Oct 2010, 06:13    Post_subject:  

l0wt3ch wrote:
No prob, ciento! Glad you like!

What's Redland campus? Question

OOPS , meant to type 'Redmond', home of Microsoft,
and host to the 2010 Balmerville follies Wink
acrocosm

PostPosted: Sun 03 Oct 2010, 06:19    Post_subject:  

How can I install nvidia drivers on that? All my attempts have failed. I'm using 3.1lite, great work btw ^_^

EDIT: Ok, I tried downloading puppy kernel_src-2.6.33.5-patched.sfs on which then applied the rt patch for that version from this place. After applying the patch I renamed /usr/src/linux-26.33.5 to linux-26.33.5-rt25 and, hopefully, fixed the linux simlink to point to that folder.

I also downloaded and installed 5.1.1 devx and got the latest drivers from nvidia. I then exited x and run nvidia setup. I get an error message that nvidia.ko can't be load and then exit the installer. Searching system files did not find nvidia.ko.

Are those the right steps and I just messed it up somewhere or I need to do something else??

EDIT2: I forgot to mention this is a HD. I like the change in splash and background images.

About blender, I have run 2.54 on standard lucid 5.1.1, just downloaded from the official site, with python installed first. It appears to run just fine.
ciento

PostPosted: Sun 03 Oct 2010, 19:14    Post_subject:  

For guitar players, the new Mustang digital amps from Fender are great
for linux, its sound can be sent over usb to rakarrack and vsts via wine supported vsthosts like Reaper, at the same time!. Talk about fathoms and fathoms of sound potential!

It has 24 presets, 3 for each
of 8 classic fender amps. Turning the preset dial then changes whatever you cooked up via rakarrack/guitarix/vst plugins yada yada.

!6 of the 24 presets can be edited/saved from the amp, the first 8 need a windows app to save the modifications, (and allow deeper access to more modeled gear). $99 and $199 is the standard price in the shops, for the 8" 20 watt, and 12" 40 watt versions, and the sound is amazing, even tube-only advocates are admitting these are great additions
to their collection.

The headphone out is also very noise-free, allowing more connection, and a 1/8" input is there for mp3/CD/aux to play along with. There is no midi
on the amp, so extra devices would have to use rakarrack or other linux connection points In qjackctl, it lists as Mustang amp, and usb audio device.
Smile should be in the shops everywhere from Australia to Alaska!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 11 of 13 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum