Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
l0wt3ch

#16 Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks for the feedback, guys! That's exactly the sort of thing I need to know.

As for the FFADO drivers, yes it does, but at present you have to type "modprobe raw1394" to get them to work (thanks mrufino1). If someone knows how to fix this, let me know!

I'm not sure why OpenShot is acting that way for aarf; it works over here. (Can anyone else confirm this?) I installed that using a different tutorial; maybe I can adjust it or reinstall.

Again, thanks for the feedback! :D

Like I said, I'm out of town right now, so I can't do anything. But, God willing, I will correct these issues in the near future, and provide the features you expect.

(On another note - big thanks to russoodle for hosting Ubuntu Studio "Puppy Edition" on his ftp server! Download details updated in original post.)
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Sun 25 Jul 2010, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

Revolverve

#17 Post by Revolverve »

Bravo !!

You did a great work with rt kernel!! I only tested audio side of your puppy , seems as fine as Ubuntustudio for latency.
I dont use vst or reaper , but it look like a complete audio/midi software...
...cheap ,but ,licence related...sniff...
I am a Muse sequencer fan , small fast stable +synths ,fx ,soundfonts ,basic audio recording/editing all in one package,even vst is support possible .
I agree with panzer , sfs way of adding software/dependencies is pretty cool and clean.
Lashstudio is a great exemple of sfs for musician , it did not wanted to run on synth Turbopup.. ...re sniff...Maybe Marius could fit his quick&dirty lashstudio for that puppy?
On the other hand adding/removing .deb package is easy enought. Been able to run Zynaddsubfx ,Muse of course.., sooperlooper ,+puppy's openoffice sfs , blender sfs , no big problem yet .
Firefox loaded with add-ons is slowwww ...on my laptop... but easy to cleanup..but still slow a bit.
Got strange behaviour from the battery applet details window stuck over everything..anyone else?
I supposed it is by purpose that no lid acpi function or power button link to something?

Long life to this Puppy !!!!
Thanks for your work. Keep it up >-< >-< >-<[/b]

mrufino1

#18 Post by mrufino1 »

Hi, 2 things about puppy studio- actually 3...
1. GREAT JOB, seems very fast and pretty stable, from initial tests.
2. synth had led me through ffado and all that on puppy 3.41, getting it to run reaper and it did that pretty well considering my limited hardware at the time. ffado did work though with no issues, I think all of the steps and packages are still on the reaper forum post, although I'm not sure if it would work the same on the new puppy
3. The only issue I had was with graphics- my screen had a dark purple shade to it, I am running an ibm t60, which I believe is an ati card for graphics. I found the link and downloaded the ati drivers synth hooked me up with a while ago, would this hopefully solve the issue?
Again, GREAT job, looking forward to seeing this mature.

mrufino1

#19 Post by mrufino1 »

Hi, 2 things about puppy studio- actually 3...
1. GREAT JOB, seems very fast and pretty stable, from initial tests.
2. synth had led me through ffado and all that on puppy 3.41, getting it to run reaper and it did that pretty well considering my limited hardware at the time. ffado did work though with no issues, I think all of the steps and packages are still on the reaper forum post, although I'm not sure if it would work the same on the new puppy
3. The only issue I had was with graphics- my screen had a dark purple shade to it, I am running an ibm t60, which I believe is an ati card for graphics. I found the link and downloaded the ati drivers synth hooked me up with a while ago, would this hopefully solve the issue?
Again, GREAT job, looking forward to seeing this mature.

l0wt3ch

#20 Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks guys! :D

I'm hoping the next release will be much better. As for the graphics problem, a quick Internet search suggests that you do indeed have an ATI card, so it stands to reason that installing the ATI drivers would help. (Although I have installed ATI drivers in Ubuntu in the past, and it was quite a pain! Hopefully the fact that Lucid Puppy uses Ubuntu packages won't mean the same for you.)

panzerpuppy

#21 Post by panzerpuppy »

Turbopup Xtreme is extremely efficient, great for audio as well, but there's one (major) drawback - it's kernel is optimised for single core PCs. With a modern PC which has multiple cores (and hyper threading), you'll only be able to utilise one core / one thread.
For single core machines and old/slow/junk hardware, this is the fastest version of Puppy you can get.
If you have a powerful single core PC (AthlonXP, Athlon64 single core, Sempron X1 or one of the latest Pentium 4's without hyperthreading) you'll be amazed by its extremely low audio latency and performance.

But for modern hardware....you're better off with Ubuntu Studio Puppy Edition

....unless synth finally releases 'Quickie' based on Quirky/Woof :)
Turbopup Tech Support

harryhaaren

FFADO Drivers

#22 Post by harryhaaren »

Hey,

Congrats on this release. I'd been dreaming about this kind of OS for a long time,
but not having ever built a .pup or .sfs myself I never undertook it myself. Thanks
for the effort you've put in. :-)

FFADO driver wise: I have an Echo Audiofire (Fully supported by FFADO),
and I'm willing to put time into tests etc I've installed firewire support many times,
so it shouldn't be too hard.

Let me know! Cheers, -Harry

l0wt3ch

#23 Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks, Harry!

l0wt3ch

#24 Post by l0wt3ch »

2.0 is out!

Details updated in original post. :)

mrufino1

#25 Post by mrufino1 »

Downloading now!!!!

mrufino1

#26 Post by mrufino1 »

I think something is wrong with the image, I can't get it to boot from cd or usb stick. It is saying the kernel is not found.

mrufino1

#27 Post by mrufino1 »

Never mind, the first iso wasn't complete, second download worked (I'm typing right now on it, running from a thumb drive). ffado works too, which is great. I had to go to a terminal and modprobe raw1394 though to get it to work. I forget what to do to make that happen on each boot, can someone remind me? Thanks, other than that, ardour and jack are running nice and smooth, and I installed the calf LV2 plugins and invada ladspa stuff (their lv2's had caused me some issues in the past, but they are great sounding). If I can get my linuxdsp plugins running on this I think this system may stay, it does exactly what I want, and quite quickly too. Is it possible to dual boot puppy with ubuntu? I have never had puppy on a machine coexisting before, if it was a full install it was the only OS, otherwise I've been running it from USB.

l0wt3ch

#28 Post by l0wt3ch »

Sorry mrufino1, I thought it was going to upload quicker! I shouldn't have made the announcement until a little later!

Glad you find it useful. :)

mrufino1

#29 Post by mrufino1 »

Ha! I still had the purple screen, but then after using the graphics configuration in the menu and installing the ati driver, it was normal. Hopefully upon reboot (I saved the setup to the usb key) it will still be such. It was pretty cool though seeing my firewire mixer run at 2ms of latency, even though I really never need it that low. Great job on this!
Is it possible to get a newer ardour version running on here? They are at 2.8.11, and there were some relatively important fixes after 2.8.6, although so far it was stable for me.

l0wt3ch

#30 Post by l0wt3ch »

Ardour 2.8.11, with VST support, is included in 2.1.

I'm glad there was a fix for the "purple screen" problem. :)
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#31 Post by aarf »

l0wt3ch wrote:2.0 is out!

Details updated in original post. :)
xdelta is a time/bandwidth saver and difference calculator for iso. find it in the sub menus of most puppies. </hint> 352MB indeed.

l0wt3ch

#32 Post by l0wt3ch »

I think we're ok here, but thanks aarf.

aarf

#33 Post by aarf »

just to be sure, this http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... PE-1.9.iso is Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition" 2.0?

l0wt3ch

#34 Post by l0wt3ch »

I've updated the ftp server.

harryhaaren

modprobe raw1394

#35 Post by harryhaaren »

Hey,

To avoid having to "modprobe raw1394", you should put "raw1394" in the auto-loaded modules of your kernel. On debian (and most distros) that's /etc/modules.conf it may be called /etc/modules or similar though.

Cheers, -Harry