Piggy-back Puppy

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

Piggy-back Puppy

#1 Post by BarryK »

See developer news for Jan 30:
http://www.puppylinux.com/news.htm

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

Extremely fascinating and useful. I used to chroot from Puppy into Vector but this sounds a whole lot better. Can't wait to get a better look at Puppy2.

Nathan

raffy

underdog.lnx

#3 Post by raffy »

That will be extremely useful, especially if underdog.lnx can be managed from the boot or desktop, ex., "Choose the partition you like to use".

Will this make available non-root users in Puppy? (Not that I endorse it, I have the problem of changed permissions 0666 in every file that passes through the Mandrake non-root user.)

I guess many people will also be glad if underdog.lnx can be applied to Window$ as well.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Lol. Underdog it, and have it run "wine explorer.exe" in rc.local. Actually, it would be easier to just run "wine BSOD.exe."

Yeah, instead of messing with all those server packages for Puppy, I just chroot the one in my Vector partition. Works like a charm. Plus, that way it runs from the same place in both distros (not that I use Vector anymore).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Nathan F wrote:Extremely fascinating and useful. I used to chroot from Puppy into Vector but this sounds a whole lot better. Can't wait to get a better look at Puppy2.
Nathan
Yes I did this too for a short while - even better to have it as an official ability :)
Also agree with Raffy about the Windows possibility.
With Vector on the HD I was able to have the very nice (I think it was a theme of Icewm) Vector environment running in Puppy. Whatever it was it looked great. Puppy has far more customisation potential now and so can be made as gorgeous as one requires.

What is perhaps intriguing is the possibility of using an established pedigree such as the slack based Vedtor as our recommended HD install and aptget depository buddies. Yes it would be even better if this was Linux distro or even OS independent. I was doing this with a CD boot and EarlSmith (see next post) shows it can be done with a HD install. I also seem to remember I was able to use Open Office or KDE programs and this was very usable. Should we wait for the next RC of Puppy2 or start preparing our piggy back system? Vector? Maybe the Chroot thing if properly laid out can be used with other distros? I have Fedora on one HD . . . m m m . . . where is the info?

I was just looking at the live CD only version of Slax 1.0.7 (no HD install). It is under 200 meg, nice KDE looking and has a save to web feature (as does DSL) for mobile use between machines. Can not confirm that is working because I have not rebooted. Vector and Slax show that slackware is a good desktop system that we can perhaps work on compliance with? This was one of the early goals of Puppy not to compete with the big dogs but to complement and frisk about.
The new Slax is slix incidentally. Very well done to them :) What is perhaps rather surprising is Slax is 185 meg and Puppy is a third of this. Yet we have a better WP, a better paint program and then some, a better range of programs BUT Slax is slick - no doubt.

I am hoping we have one final ALSA based (Puppy 1.0.8 "Singer") RC soon which we can support with our existing knowledge base and then concentrate on developing support for Puppy2.

Again I am drawn to the possibility of Puppy2 embedded on the motherboard frisking into and between different OS on the HD . . .
and yet complete and adequate in itself . . .

Woof woof
8)
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 30 Jan 2006, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

EarlSmith

#6 Post by EarlSmith »

I don't know if this applies but I have Puppy 1.0.7 and the newest Vector 5.1 SOHO installed on my hd in separate partitions and can run the OpenOffice 2.0 that Vector has in puppy. I even installed an icon on Puppy desktop so I can run OpenOffice. Everthing seems to work fine. Even got Base working and it uses the Java engine that is in Vector. I haven't tried anything else since OpenOffice was all I needed.
This allows the best of both worlds, instant Puppy boot and programs that run very fast, even the Vector one.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: underdog.lnx

#7 Post by BarryK »

raffy wrote:That will be extremely useful, especially if underdog.lnx can be managed from the boot or desktop, ex., "Choose the partition you like to use".

I guess many people will also be glad if underdog.lnx can be applied to Window$ as well.
Yes, it would be possible for a menu item to choose a partition for setting up the underdog.lnx file. It would need a reboot after choosing though.

underdog.lnx is only appropriate for a Linux distro. The filesystems are overlaid, and having the Windows directories mingled amongst the Puppy directories would be very odd.

gnomen

#8 Post by gnomen »

Does this mean that if I piggy back puppy2 on my gentoo partition I'd get portage in puppy? :D
fake it until you make it

Oldpig

#9 Post by Oldpig »

Hey Barry, come on now, what's new about piggy backing, I used to give my children piggy backs all the time when the were younger, same thing isn't it :lol:

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

I have a painful memory or two from when I took piggy back rides, and now my nephew has one from when I gave him one.....

But in spite of low ceilings, they're still fun :D
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

tybris

#11 Post by tybris »

stop it, you're spoiling us :D