Kinda Lucid Puppy 006 (August 1st)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Iguleder

Kinda Lucid Puppy 006 (August 1st)

#1 Post by Iguleder »

Kinda Lucid Puppy 006

What is it?

Kinda Lucid Puppy is a 4.3.1-based puplet for general usage. It is built to be better-looking, modern and suitable for multimedia than 4.3.1: one puplet to rule them all.

The difference between KLP and the original 4.3.1 is noticeable in 4 areas:
- Newer, updated stuff: Abiword, Gnumeric, Pmusic, Pburn, xine-lib and more. In two cases, 4.3.1 applications are replaced: Seamonkey with Opera and Pprocess with LXTask. The newer versions fix many of the severe bugs in 4.3.1, such as the ROX focus bug and the huge file chooser bug. Also, some unneeded applications are removed - for instance, Pcdripper is removed because Asunder is better and already included.
- Multimedia - KLP supports many new audio/video formats that 4.3.1 doesn't, including XviD, MPEG-4 and FLV, thanks to the upgraded multimedia packages.
- Woof - since the release of 4.3.1 Barry added many changes and improvements to Woof: a man replacement, a replacement for the old yaf-splash, clean unmount of save files and much more. KLP has them. Also, KLP has some stuff backported from later puppies, like the Lucid Puppy first-run wizard.
- Artwork - KLP looks great :)

To sum up, Kinda Lucid Puppy is a "generic" puplet that offers all traditional Puppy stuff and sticks with Puppy tradition of small size and home-made applications, while providing a better usage experience.

Who is it for?

The target audience of this puplet is all Puppy users, especially people that need multimedia capabilities in their puplet, Opera fans, Puppy 4.x fans and people with hardware that doesn't get along with Lucid Puppy.

Changelog

006::
- New menu button (a computer icon) and tray buttons: desktop, browser, partview and rxvt.
- Added: the font appearance wizard I wrote for Lupu, a new printer manager (a modified version of ttuxxx's printer manager), LXRandR (the pet I made for Lupu), an improved tray icon for Pmusic.
- Recompiled and/or updated: libogg, libvorbis, libao, faac, faad2, ffmpeg, jwm (recompiled on KLP), libsamplerate, libsndfile, libtheora, x264, xine-lib, xvidcore, xz.
- Updated: Geany to 0.19, Pmusic to 1.0.3, Woof skeleton, Moo, Asunder to 2.0, Tar to 1.23.
- Removed: Pdict (useless), EmbeddedBookmarks (what the heck is that?), calcoo, pdvdrsab, pCD, pmetatagger, first run wizard, pstreamvid (pupRadio is better), you2pup (doesn't work), zmixer (very basic and useless, retrovol rocks), yasm and libvpx (no longer needed with the new ffmpeg), Pidgin (2.6.6 is getting old and it's huge).
- The chat icon now opens the freenode webchat through Opera.
- Opera runs without the mail/news/chat components loaded by default to make it lighter; the mail icon opens Opera with them, straight to the inbox.
- A new GTK theme, NeutrinoPuppy. :wink:
- Way smaller than 005, mainly because Pidgin is out.

005:
- Updated: GTK from 2.14.7 to 2.16.16 (the 4.3.1 file chooser bug is fixed!), glib from 2.18.3 to 2.20.5, pwireless 0.8.4 to pwireless2, Tar from 1.19 to spup's patched 1.22, Moo from 009 to 010.
- Removed: Psip, PPLOG, Quisp, Hiawatha and the podcast grabber.
- Added: flsynclient, synclient and xz.
- Global system font set, much better fonts in Opera, GTK themes work better, the Raleigh GTK theme now works perfectly.
- Fixed Opera n' CUPS problem.
- Fixed the help page and the welcome page.
- Updated Woof to the version used to build Slackpup 0.4 beta.
- All Puppy MIME-type icons I removed are back now.
- New wallpaper, taken from GNOME :P
- Major cleanup in /usr/share and /usr/local.
- Ships without sc0ttman's optional save thingy and the SFSs from psubdir thingy, they're quite controversial, so I removed them.
- Rebuilt directly from the Puppy 4.3.1 ISO :)

- Replaced: Ayttm with Pidgin.
- Removed: cgtkcalc and ycalc (2 calculators, the other two are still there), mp (one console text editor, e3 is still there), NicoEdit, gfnrename, gplanarity, pstopwatch, Rubix, Xemeraldia, xsoldier, ctorrent, pctorrent, Axel, Uget, PictureViewer (what is that for?), pCD, pcdripper (Asunder is better) zfind and some wallpapers (the solid color and version-specific wallpapers).
- Updated: Pmusic from 1.0 to 1.0.1.
- Opera’s license moved to /usr/share/doc/legal.
- New artwork: a new icon set based on Gnome-Colors and the GNOME icon set and a new wallpaper taken from KDE.
- New icon/folder icons from GNOME.
- Some menu items removed (top, alsamixer).
- Removed some leftovers from the old 4.3.1 Abiword, PuppyBrowser, Seamonkey and Aqualung.
- Way more solid, more polished.

- Replaced fonts - Puppy comes with DejaVu LGC fonts, a slightly smaller variant of the DejaVu fonts that includes only Euorpean languages. I replaced them with the "normal" DejaVu fonts to support languages such as Arabic and Hebrew. :wink:
- Way better artwork, great contrast and a better choice of colors - a blend of black with blue, red and violet (see the screenies!) :D
- Tiny clean-up, the removal Seamonkey left some .desktop files.
- Updated Moo with a small fix.
- Some polish.

- Opera 10.60 replaces Seamonkey and PuppyBrowser, it is installed under /root/.local for much easier future upgrades.
- Superb multimedia experience - upgraded multimedia packages like ffmpeg, libogg, libvorbis, libsndfile and xine-lib (the list is longer), so now KLP supports WebM, FLV and all common audio and video formats.
- Updated: Woof skeleton, now KLP auto-connects to wired networks and includes pman.
- Added: Rerwin's modem fix.
- Upgraded: gnumeric, Abiword, goffice, libgsf, Moo, network tray icon.

- Replaced: Aqualung with Pmusic, Pprocess with LXTask, the ancient absvolume with Retrovol, the old free memory and network applets with Quirky's.
- Added: Bones, woo-ff, Precord, pupRadio, the Moo remaster tool (it was used to build KLP).
- Upgraded: the CPU scaling wizard, the JWM configuration wizard, the network wizard, the classic network wizard, Pburn, pCD, Pfilesearch, Pfind, PMirrorget, Pschedule, You2pup, the SFS converter, Rox and JWM to their Quirky versions.
- The Woof skeleton is upgraded, so you get the new gtk-splash, clean unmount on shutdown, Barry's simple network setup wizard and various improvements.
- Flash 10.1.53.64 (the one with that serious vulnerability fixed) instead of the aging Flash 9 that YouTube and many sites no longer support.
- A slightly modified version of Lucid Puppy's first run wizard: I modified it to automatically detect the running Puppy name and version, removed some incorrect labels and changed the text.
- Lucid Puppy's artwork.

Download: here (includes a 005 to 006 delta!) :wink:

Two notes:
1) Use the 4.3.1 devx as the devx, it's OK. I suggest you to compile stuff on a vanilla 4.3.1, because this one has many stuff updated and your packages may end up incompatible with 4.3.1.
2) Each version is in its own directory. You can update previous versions with the deltas I provided :)

Cheers! :)

Credit goes to DaveS for many useful PETs and suggestions, thank you so much! :D

Thanks to KLP I'm officially in love with Opera ... and I'd like you to know that working on this puplet really improved my knowledge about Puppy and my l33t Linux haxx0r skillz :D

I must admit I'm very very pleased with KLP 006, despite the pessimism and low self-esteem I've always had :)

If there's anything wrong or bad with KLP, feel free to share it with me and everybody else, I'm a perfectionist and I want 007 (if there is a 007) to be PERFECT.
Last edited by Iguleder on Sun 01 Aug 2010, 18:52, edited 39 times in total.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Totally failed to get wired network going which work on almost all other puppies.

MP4 fails at times too which work in quirky 1.0
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Iguleder

#3 Post by Iguleder »

Wired networks work well as in 4.3.1 or even better, I have no idea what you did that caused that :)

Regarding MP4, I think I'm going to try to recompile gxine.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Heheh
I have no idea what you did that caused that
I booted first into quirky1.0 and installed KLP frugally and then rebooted into KLP and it told me that there was no driver for my LAN. Sadly I have no idea what my lan card is. I have a poor memory but I have tried all four ways to activate it. SNS usually works best on the other puppies and them have no problem at all. Only at most three Puppies out of some 30 tested behave as KLP does.

So I don't think it is me that have done anything. Are you sure your KLP is as good as Quirky is? Friendly Smile.

using google I get

Chipset
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Motherboard

Manufacturer: ECSMotherboard Name: MCP61PM-HMHP/Compaq motherboard name: Nettle3-GL8E

Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

What does Base-T refer to? Seems to be a integrated no name LAN.

So either it is GeForce or HP/Compaq driver I need but where are they?

Iguleder

#5 Post by Iguleder »

First of all, I didn't mention Quirky, you did. I did not say KLP is a Quirky-based puplet ... :roll:

Regarding your network card, if it worked with 4.3.1, it must work with KLP. You have 3 different network wizards ... don't say it isn't enough.

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Tested to see if it is my fault it fail to work. Downloaded Luci-208 and that one gave me a connection right away asking if I wanted to save it.

Most likely I have NVidia Ge Force chips LAN ethernet card integrated.

What am I supposed to do to get it connect?

Luci-208 played the MP4 that your KLP failed to play.

Iguleder

#7 Post by Iguleder »

Luci auto-connects to wired networks, KLP doesn't.

Try the classic network wizard ... if it works on 4.3.1, should work here too. By the way: GeForce is a GPU :wink:

DaveS

#8 Post by DaveS »

Iguleder, did you upgrade Gnumeric? The latest fixes some important bugs that were still present in 4.3.1?
Does Opera work with CUPS? I failed to get that to work a while back. Maybe you have left PuppyBrowser in for CUPS?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Iguleder

#9 Post by Iguleder »

Same gnumeric ... and yes, CUPS works with Opera. I also linked the email icon to Opera's mail thingy, it's a very very nice setup.

It has many bugs fixed, mainly Woof-related ones. Rox's focus bug and JWM's fullscreen madness are gone :D

I'm still working on the multimedia overhaul, recompiled many things, but I'm looking for a way to remove all old stuff from 4.3.1, it's very complicated because they're split between the main SFS and the devx.

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

I tested all three network ways to do it but none of them worked and I failed to find the nvidia or HP LAN driver to use.

DaveS

#11 Post by DaveS »

Iguleder wrote:Same gnumeric
To update gnumeric you need the .pet from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 54b6826869

and these two .pets also. Dont forget to remove old version :)
Attachments
libgsf-1.14.17-i486.pet
(91.77 KiB) Downloaded 1151 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#12 Post by DaveS »

All boots up and sets up nicely on my system. Gnumeric update works but needs a symlink in usr/bin symlink gnumeric-1.10 as gnumeric.
From set up menu, set up mouse/keyboard offers option to set up touchpad, but fisynclient is not installed, so menu entry plays dead.
Tried to update Abiword to latest but it got a bit complex so will wait till 02/opera.
Nice to be messin with 4.3.1 again, its so snappy.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Iguleder

#13 Post by Iguleder »

I removed the old gnumeric, libgsf, goffice, faac, faad, ffmpeg, libao, libogg, libsamplerate, libsndfile, libvorbis, xine-lib and xvidcore.

I have compiled newer versions, and the new ffmpeg/xine-lib now support FLV, x264, WebM and all the fancy stuff.

I'm currently working on transplanting the new versions, compiled them all, they work just fine. I kept the old gxine because the new one uses 2 windows by default, I can supply it with default settings that disable that, but if the old one works, why change? :)

DaveS

#14 Post by DaveS »

I notice the filechooser dialogue still loads half off my screen. Do you need a pic to demonstrate?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Iguleder

#15 Post by Iguleder »

Ummm ... what file chooser? The GTK one?

DaveS

#16 Post by DaveS »

Iguleder wrote:Ummm ... what file chooser? The GTK one?
Yes. this is how it loads (from Abi, but all apps are the same).

I posted the fix on the other thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 522#425522, for updated Rox, but to solve the filechooser bug you need to use this plus gtk+-2.16.6-i486.pet, which I cant upload due to its size.

The problem was that using these two .pets caused the focus bug in Rox filer. that is now fixed with Barrys latest one, which I think you have already installed.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Iguleder

#17 Post by Iguleder »

I think I'll leave that for 003, if there is a 003 :)

I'm currently generating the final 002 ISO, it comes with the new gnumeric you asked for. Because the Abiword of 4.3.1 is so old it doesn't work with the new goffice, so I used another great package from technosaurus :D

So far in development builds I've noticed automatic wired network connection and pman ... it feels way more solid than 4.3.1, at least for me :)

Opera works great, blends pretty well, except one tiny problem with the desktop help icon. I'll figure this out. It works very well with Flash and feels very fast, but there's one problem - Opera's effects are software-rendered, so if you don't use Xorg with the GPU's drivers it starts slowly, or maybe it's just my crappy CPU. On xvesa it runs well, so I use Xvesa to get drivers in my first session, then switch to xorg :wink:

I can play a local FLV video, other formats should work too. I have no idea why, my music sounds better, maybe it's psychological. Many things are upgraded, as the slightly bigger size implies :wink:

James C

#18 Post by James C »

Downloading KLP 004 right now, looks like you've been making some big improvements.Looking forward to trying it. :)

DaveS

#19 Post by DaveS »

Still has filechooser bug (am on it) and Opera is doing some weird stuff (still testing).
Otherwise looks and feel gorgeous. What Puppy should have been (IMHO)
Iguleder, would you consider putting the desktop default icons on an autohide launchbar at the top of the screen, or would that be too non Puppy? I have a .pet to do that because someone asked for it a while back...........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Iguleder

#20 Post by Iguleder »

In fact, I downloaded your PET, I wanted to examine it for 005. I think it's very-non-Puppy, but it's still nice. I think I can add it to the first-run wizard.

I'm doing some experiments with GTK and JWM. So far, I fixed the tiny fonts problem of Opera, just use this as your /root/.gtkrc-2.0:

Code: Select all

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/usr/share/themes/Polished-Blue/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font" {
	font_name = "DejaVu Sans 12"
}

widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-font-name="DejaVu Sans 12"

include "/root/.gtkrc.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
I also put a darker wallpapers, better for the eyes. At the moment I'm trying to make MIME-type handling better.

EDIT: a utility tray sounds like a great idea. It's JWM, so theoretically, it doesn't fall under the category of bling, JWM is already running. I think I'll try to make some tray with useful stuff that don't appear on the desktop, like pfind and pmusic.