Dialup/Wireless Modem Upgrade Packages for Puppy 4.3+

rerwin

#91 Post by rerwin »

potong,
Thanks for spelling out how to use 4.3.1 for wireless modems. You are exactly right, except that step 5 is unnecessary. And if the name of that button is not the same as the currently selected/detected port, you could get a surprising result. Pupdial would try the other port and either select it or leave the same selection. That is for unusual situations. Obviously, in your case it does no harm.
Richard

potong

#92 Post by potong »

rerwin:

Out of interest, does the dev# on the T: line of /proc/bus/usb/devices refer to ttyUSBn?

In my case dev#=3, therefore starting from zero would mean ttyUSB2, correct?

I ask because I repeated the steps in my howto and sometimes the port is not detected at all or detected incorrectly i.e. ziltch or ttyUSB1.
When the port was detected as ttyUSB1 the button was correctly identified as ttyUSB2.
I guess my first attempts must have been lucky.

When this happened I re-probed until the port and the button were both the same i.e. ttyUSB2.
Then everything was hunky dory.

Can one manually (via the command line) get puppy to re-probe the usb devices?

Potong

bignono1

#93 Post by bignono1 »

Installed all 5 pets ,probed modem and it was detected
input all numbers.
Trying connect i get: voice line detected .Trying again.
sending : ATDT*99# (tried *99***#1 but no luck).
waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
ERROR
If i type wvdial in terminal i get:
modem initialized
configuration does not specify a valid phone number.
configuration does not specify a valid login name.
configuration does not specify a valid password.
Please help.

bignono1

#94 Post by bignono1 »

Changed user name ,password and APN , all pps
now i get : Bad init string .

rerwin

#95 Post by rerwin »

bignono1
bignono1 wrote:Installed all 5 pets ,probed modem and it was detected
input all numbers.
Trying connect i get: voice line detected .Trying again.
sending : ATDT*99# (tried *99***#1 but no luck).
waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
ERROR
If i type wvdial in terminal i get:
modem initialized
configuration does not specify a valid phone number.
configuration does not specify a valid login name.
configuration does not specify a valid password.
Please help.
Welcome to this thread. First, *99***#1 should be *99***1#, with the "#" last. I can help only if you remain working with pupdial and do not improvise workarounds.

My approach is - rather than asking questions of the user - for the user to capture diagnostic information at the point where things are not right. That way, I can probably see where things went wrong. These modems can behave erratically, so the challenge is to keep up with that as people report problems. Getting the modem started is an intricate process that can fail in several ways.

You can capture the info by running pmodemdiag in a console and posting or PMing the pmodemdiag...tar.gz file it creates in your main directory (home/file icon on desktop).

Eagerly awaiting your diag file.
Richard

bignono1

#96 Post by bignono1 »

Thank you Richard, the file is attached.

rerwin

#97 Post by rerwin »

bignono1,
Thanks for the diag file. I see that you are not setting "stupid mode", which apparently is essential. Then, you may need to set the APN (which I don't see). Other that those, everything looks normal.

If that still does not work, please do not disconnect when you see the problem, but bring up a console and enter "pmodemdiag" (w/o quotes) to get a diag file. That way I can see the pupdial log that you see. When pmodemdiag completes, only then you should disconnect and exit pupdial.
Richard

bignono1

#98 Post by bignono1 »

Thank you Richard ,
I did try stupid mode many times since i am good only in stupid modes put even those did outputed stupid and helpless,
so please keep up the good spirit and ignore my stupidness and see it as my only good advantage , sometimes being stupid is better than being mean.
Thanks again mate , you and this forum and all the puppians here are great .

jemimah

#99 Post by jemimah »

I just bought a new modem because my husband dropped the old one and wrecked it. I got the Sierra Shockwave (USB 308). I've owned two other sierra modems, and they worked without usb_modeswitch. This one however, is either different, or newer than kernel 2.6.35.7.

I ran pmodemdiag and saw the the device id was not recognized by usb_modeswitch. So I copied the config file from another device id and tried to modify it - but that didn't work.

This is on Puppeee4.4Beta4 which I added the latest patches.

Any ideas?

cthisbear

#100 Post by cthisbear »

" Any ideas? "

Shoot husband???

Chris.

jemimah

#101 Post by jemimah »

Heh - being without internet for a few hours is punishment enough for him. ;)

Further research suggest the sierra_net module is supposed to work with this modem. But it doesn't. I'm rebuilding the kernel now to see if I can fix it.

jemimah

#102 Post by jemimah »

WhhoooHooo! My kernel patch worked! I just added the pci id to sierra.c.

So nevermind. :D

rerwin

#103 Post by rerwin »

bignono1,
I have been googling for clues on things to try regarding the "bad init string" problem. I found some ideas to try one at a time.

1. Some solutions simply insert more commands into the Init3 string, adding S7=60 S30=0, resulting in:
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 S7=60 S30=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

2. Keying off of your APN of "pps", I found a web page where you can get modem setup information, but it requires your "subscriber code", so I cannoot read it. But you can: http://www.kw.zain.com/kw/af/services/m ... 53&lang=en

3. The modems usually need to be "initialized" in a Windows system, then removed before exiting the initialization program. Be sure yours has been initialized.

4. Many users disable the requirement for a SIM PIN code. Otherwise, you need to enter one in pupdial. If you are uncertain about the SIM PIN, you can find out its status this way:
- add a command to the Init2 string, to make it:
ATZ +CPIN?
- Connect and view the response in the log window, for examples.
+CPIN: SIM PIN <==== modem requires sim pin
+CPIN: READY <======shows the modem is now ready

5. The logon and password given for your provider is "pps" for both (w/o quotes).

That's what I found. Apparently many people have trouble with ZTE modems. Maybe that is because there are so many out there. Or not. I hope these help you along.

If not, can you install wary 0.9.8 and try your modem with it. It has the most recent developments for modems and might help.
Richard

bignono1

#104 Post by bignono1 »

Gooooood news :I am on line using my USB modem after more than 4 months .
Here is what i did finally:
1.Connected the modem to a win xp machine .
2.Unpluged the modem while still on line.
3.Removed the pps from APN.
4.Phone no. *99***1#
The modem switch WAS changed to ttyUSB1, I DID NOT CHANGE IT

Thank you Richard , you are great.
And here is the pmodemdiag again for the record.
Thank you again Richard , i am really happy because of you.

bignono1

#105 Post by bignono1 »

Hi,
Same modem on lucid puppy 5.0.1
Just inputed pps in APN field.
The diag file is attached.

bignono1

#106 Post by bignono1 »

Barking loud on lupup 5.1.1

Insomniacno1

#107 Post by Insomniacno1 »

I hope you can use this info to fix the probleme in all Puppy versions. This is how I got Huawei E1552 Globe Tattoo Usb modem to work in Peppermint One 08042010(some of the info is pieced together from other sites):

Before you start, install usb modeswitch from synaptics.

Instructions:

1. Insert your Huawei USB.

2. From a terminal window, type lsusb:

Code:

lsusb

hit Enter and you should see an output like this:

Code:

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 12d1:1001 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E620 USB Modem
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1bcf:0007 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

3. The output will show the vendor ID and the product ID (12d1 and 1001 in the above example - it might be different on your machine) .

4. Create a udev rule by typing

Code:

gksu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/15-huawei-e620.rules

I named my file 15-huawei-e620.rules because that's what lsusb showed from no. 2 then copy+paste the code below:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",SYSFS{idProduct}=="1001",SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1",RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x12d1 --product 0x1001 --type option-zerocd"

NOTE the code above should be 1 line only, no wordwrap!!

Just be sure to replace (if necessary) the correct values you got for your product and vendor IDs.

Save the file and type exit to close the terminal window.

5. Safely remove the USB drive then reinsert.

6. The Network manager will automatically detect your USB, But if not then create a new Mobile Broadband connection manually. Just right-click on the network manager icon, choose Edit Connections, go to Mobile Broadband, and click Add.

7. Proceed with the prompts, choosing Huawei, and Globe (I chose plan unlisted).
Here are the values that worked for me:

Number: *99#
APN: http.globe.com.ph
Under PPP settings, I chose PAP as the only authentication method.

NOTE: If you don't have gedit then install it by typing apt-get install gedit and yes when asked. Then proceed to step 4.

As I said in the start I hope you can use this info to make Puppy work just as smooth. That is one of the reasons I'm using Peppermint instead of Puppy. Puppy is faster than and work better with only 192Mb ram, but there is also video playback which don't work so well on the included mPlayer. Plus the fact that Puppy higher than 4.2.1 don't find my HDD.

rerwin

#108 Post by rerwin »

Insomniacno1 wrote:7. Proceed with the prompts, choosing Huawei, and Globe (I chose plan unlisted).
Here are the values that worked for me:

Number: *99#
APN: http.globe.com.ph
Under PPP settings, I chose PAP as the only authentication method.

. . .

As I said in the start I hope you can use this info to make Puppy work just as smooth. That is one of the reasons I'm using Peppermint instead of Puppy. Puppy is faster than and work better with only 192Mb ram, but there is also video playback which don't work so well on the included mPlayer. Plus the fact that Puppy higher than 4.2.1 don't find my HDD.
Thanks for posting your experience with Peppermint. I see no reason why the latest updates to 4.3.1 (posted on page 1) would not support your modem automatically. The only unusual-looking comment is about choosing PAP authentication. Does Globe require that and does CHAP not work? If so, puppy has a simple way to force PAP for particular APNs.

I conclude that you are not able to use puppy 4.3.1 due to a problem with recognizing your hard drive (HDD). I may not be much help with that, but we could start by your describing what happens. Unfortunately, the upgrades in this thread support only 4.3.1 and later. So we need to get past the HDD issue first. I would like to work with you to get your modem working in 4.3.1, if you are willing to work with me.
Richard

rerwin

Modem support upgraded to wary 0.9.8 level +

#109 Post by rerwin »

Dialup modem users,
I have added an upgrade to "level 9" of modem support, to incorporate all that I learned from improvements to the wary series of development versions. It includes a tailored version of the remaster script, to copy some files not already handled by remasterpup2. You can now make a new CD after installing all of the relevant packages from page 1.

Those with Agere modems can add those drivers, but should use the versions attached here -- in addition to the 11c11040 variant on page 4 -- because these are renamed with ".HIDE" to avoid unnecessary copying of the modules on first use of any of the group in a "frugal" installation. Although variant support was added in level 8, the means of managing the variants has changed to avoid some problems with the old method. The direct link to 11c11040 is: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=33171

Note that the new level 9 does not include the logic for accumulating online time, now at least partially in wary, because I doubt that facility is complete. However, it does have updates to the ALSA sound support, which may or may not help. Since there are several under-the-covers changes, I hope some of you will try out the new packages and report any remaining problems.

For the future, I plan to consolidate the modem fixes and others in a "puppy 4.3.1 Upgrade Central" thread, to simplify upgrading 4.3.1 for new users or those sticking with 4.3.1 while wary gets proven. Since Barry has resumed responsibility for module-loading and modem support in woof, wary and quirky, I expect to continue supporting 4.3.1, as well as contributing to his effort.
Richard

rerwin

modem_fix_pack_delta-8_to_9.pet corrected

#110 Post by rerwin »

To those who downloaded modem_fix_pack_delta-8_to_9.pet for the first three downloads, the original package erroneously overwrote a critical script file with an incorrect version. The correct version is in pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.8.pet.

Instead of installing the corrected package, please simply re-install pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.8.pet if you installed it before delta-8_to_9. If you installed it afterward, you already have the correct version of the script.
Richard