cups password

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Nooblet0218

cups password

#1 Post by Nooblet0218 »

i know i thought this has been answered in other places but for some reason all of the passwords i've found through google and the forum search aren't working.

I want to share a printer connected to my puppy machine to a windows 7 machine on my network, the setting looks like its there in the cups administrator page and I check it then click change settings but i get prompted for a username/password and everything i've tried does not work.

i've tried:

root
woofwoof

woofwoof
root

I've changed my password using 'passwd root' in terminal and then trying that, tried a lot of different ones after changing it and nothing is working.

all of the suggestions i've seen haven't worked.

any help would be greatly appreciated

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Which Puppy are you using?

Nooblet0218

#3 Post by Nooblet0218 »

I am using lupu 5.01

and also thanks for this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42703

thats the printer i'm trying to share and that .pet helped me get the scanner running

Nooblet0218

#4 Post by Nooblet0218 »

while you're here, would it be easy to share the scanner as well? i haven't googled it yet but i'm just wondering

nitehawk

#5 Post by nitehawk »

Well,...it's been awhile for me,...but if I can remember, it was something like:
puppylinux
woof woof
(that was up through Puppylinux 4.30)

Nooblet0218

#6 Post by Nooblet0218 »

ah i tried

puppy linux/puppylinux
woof woof/woofwoof

and all mixes of that and no luck :(

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Lupu is not my regular Puppy, but I tested it and could not find a login/password that worked. This problem has already been reported but I couldn't find a solution in the forum.

However, I found two solutions that look good.

1. Downgrade to CUPS 1.3.11 from here. Just install items 1,2 and 5. (Whenever I try the newer CUPS 1.4, I find something wonky about it.)

You can declare a printer shareable with the usual "root/woofwoof" login.

2. Stay with CUPS 1.4 but manually edit the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf as follows:

Change Line 19 from "Listen Localhost:631" to "Port 631"

After Line 22, insert the line "BrowseAddress @LOCAL"

After Line "<Location />, insert the line "Allow @LOCAL"

Then restart CUPS with the command: /etc/init.d/cups restart

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Nooblet0218 wrote:...that .pet helped me get the scanner running
Which model do you have? Which PET did you use - the pixma-backend update or the scangearmp package?

It is possible to network scanners - SANE comes with a daemon named saned that supposedly handles this. But it may require some other components that Puppy is missing.

Nooblet0218

#9 Post by Nooblet0218 »

i used the backend .pet, with the Canon mp470 version, worked like a charm

And I used the first solution, downgrading the CUPS version.

That worked well! i'm able to share it to my ubuntu running desktop down the hall. but i'm having a bit of trouble getting the windows 7 laptop to see the printer. All of the autodetect settings aren't working so i'm trying to find it using tcp/ip.

The ip/port that my ubuntu computer says my printer is on is 192.168.1.7:631

so i put that into the w7 printer wizard, i selected the canon mp 470 driver, but i cannot print the test page.

I read somewhere that i should use some hp officejet driver, maybe that's what i need to do?

and thank you for the help :)

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have no experience with 7, but the instructions for XP are here. Read the section Sharing Your Puppy Printer.

Nooblet0218

#11 Post by Nooblet0218 »

sweet thank you, i will do do that

Nooblet0218

#12 Post by Nooblet0218 »

hell yeah, got it working. it was the driver that was the problem, and your guide there cleared it up.

Thanks for the help!!!!

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

Which method did you use - the Postscript driver or the raw queue?

8-bit

#14 Post by 8-bit »

rcrsn51 wrote:Lupu is not my regular Puppy, but I tested it and could not find a login/password that worked. This problem has already been reported but I couldn't find a solution in the forum.

However, I found two solutions that look good.

1. Downgrade to CUPS 1.3.11 from here. Just install items 1,2 and 5. (Whenever I try the newer CUPS 1.4, I find something wonky about it.)

You can declare a printer shareable with the usual "root/woofwoof" login.

2. Stay with CUPS 1.4 but manually edit the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf as follows:

Change Line 19 from "Listen Localhost:631" to "Port 631"

After Line 22, insert the line "BrowseAddress @LOCAL"

After Line "<Location />, insert the line "Allow @LOCAL"

Then restart CUPS with the command: /etc/init.d/cups restart
I did an edit of cupsd.conf to gain administrator access without having to give a usename and password to save changes.
My modification instructions can be found HERE.

Nooblet0218

#15 Post by Nooblet0218 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Which method did you use - the Postscript driver or the raw queue?
to be honest i didn't even read further than the end of the postscript method because it worked fine for me. i test printed a few things and everything came out nicely so i didn't bother trying anything else.

varadarajan

#16 Post by varadarajan »

# CUPS (formerly an acronym for Common Unix Printing System), a modular printing system for Unix-like computer operating systems, allows a computer to act as a print server. ...

# The Carnegie Mellon University Usable Privacy and Security Laboratory (CUPS) was established in the Spring of 2004 to bring together Carnegie Mellon University researchers working on a diverse set of projects related to understanding and improving the usability of privacy and security software ...

# Cups was one of several games invented in 1965 by father and son Arthur Amberstone and Wald Amberstone who were both cofounders of the New York Gamers Association (N.Y.G.A.). They also invented Power, and High Deck, a card game based on medieval society. ...

ragaman

#17 Post by ragaman »

You can just set the CUPS password by firing up RXVT console, then type the following:

passwd cupsys root (assuming you are running as root, otherwise, substitute "root" with your username.

You will be prompted for the new CUPS password. Type in the new password, confirm.