Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 15 Nov 2019, 20:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to set keyboard shortcuts?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
npierce

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug 2010, 22:13    Post subject:  

noryb009,

I am glad to hear that you were successful.

As for Puppy 501, I know next to nothing, so don't know if it uses amixer or not, or if it even uses the ALSA drivers by default. Perhaps a Puppy 501 user will pop-in here to let us know.

In the meantime, from an earlier post . . .
npierce wrote:
If you cannot get the amixer working, you could replace the mute and volume lines with these:
Code:
<Key key="XF86AudioMute">exec:aqualung -V m</Key>
<Key key="XF86AudioRaiseVolume">exec:aqualung -V +3</Key>
<Key key="XF86AudioLowerVolume">exec:aqualung -V -3</Key>

But using these lines will affect mute and volume for aqualung only, not other applications.

DaveS,

Thanks for the tip about toggling the mute. I didn't know that could be done.
p310don

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb 2011, 09:46    Post subject:  

Hi guys,

I have made some great headway with the instructions in this post, but I'm stuck on making the play/pause, stop, previous and next keys do something on my media key keyboard.

I can make them do "something" by mapping the key strokes using xev and editing jwmrc-personal accordingly, but, I don't know how to make them do what they're supposed to.

I want play to play, stop to stop etc. I see the instructions for using aqualung media player, and tried to adapt those to either songbird or gnome-mplayer but with no success.

I don't understand the switches after the :aqualung. I.E.
<Key key="XF86AudioPlay">exec:aqualung -N 0 -L</Key> what are the -N 0 -L bits for? I think the -L is the key binding in aqualung, but what are the others?

I have tried using <Key key="XF86AudioPlay">exec:songbird -N 0 -space</Key> with space being the key binding for play/pause in songbird, but all this does is launch songbird, not play or pause it.

Some help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
noryb009

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb 2011, 15:27    Post subject:  

the "-N 0 -L" is the way to change the song (next/last) from the command line (maybe it's another function, not sure)

try running from the console:
Code:
songbird --help

It may have a command line way of next, play, etc.
abushcrafter

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb 2011, 15:53    Post subject:  

@p310don look at aqualungs CL parameters. In a terminal/console type: "aqualung --help".
p310don

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb 2011, 18:01    Post subject:  

@noryb009 typing songbird --help only starts songbird, it doesn't give me any cli help options. Perhaps songbird isn't controllable from the cli. Even looking at what is happening in the terminal when using songbird doesn't give me any clues as to what might be helpful.

@abushcrafter I'm not using aqualung, so can't type that in to get the cli functions.

Would I be right in the assumption that this media key support in puppy is only possible with programs that are controllable from the command line?

A quick google of songbird suggests that it is not controllable from cli, and, the only references to doing such pertain to windows support, not linux. And, it seems songbird is no longer actively supporting linux.

Interestingly, and somewhat [solved] for me, in the media player deadbeef, there is a "global hotkeys" section under preferences. I haven't been able to get that to work in the past, but now that I have filled in some info about the media keys, ie given them names, using that works perfectly for setting up the media keys.

Now I guess my next challenge RE media keys is to get them to also work in gnome-mplayer without affecting them working in deadbeef.

Perhaps this is another area where puppy could improve its automatic setup. in windows and ubuntu this stuff just works for me on this machine / keyboard. In puppy, it was more of a challenge. Does anyone know how ubuntu does it?
npierce

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:42    Post subject:  

p310don wrote:
I don't understand the switches after the :aqualung. I.E.
<Key key="XF86AudioPlay">exec:aqualung -N 0 -L</Key> what are the -N 0 -L bits for?

From the Aqualung User's Manual:
Quote:
3.5. Options for remote cue control

Note that remote controlling of instances is only possible if the instance you want to send a command to is running as the same user as you are when you issue the remote command.

-N, --session <int>
Specify the instance number to send the remote command to. Instances are numbered on a per user basis, starting with 0. Except for the zero-th instance (started first), the instance number is displayed in the title bar of the main window (e.g.: `Aqualung.3'). If you don't use this option, the following options will control the zero-th instance by default, except for -L which defaults to the present instance (so as to be able to start playback immediately from the command line).
-B, --back
Jump to previous track.
-F, --fwd
Jump to next track.
-L, --play
Start playing.
-U, --pause
Pause playback, or resume if already paused.
-T, --stop
Stop playback.
-V, --volume [m|M]|[=]<val>
Adjust the volume. m/M means mute; if = is present, the remote instance's volume control will be set to the value specified, otherwise, the volume will be adjusted by the supplied (signed) value. The values are in dB units.
-Q, --quit
Terminate remote instance.

This can be found at http://aqualung.factorial.hu/manual/aqualung-doc.html#id81916.

As you have discovered, Songbird does not use this syntax.

Apparently it once was supposed to handle command line arguments, which were added as a result of a request in the thread at the following URL. The syntax is explained in that thread. But the thread also indicates that it was quite buggy.

http://bugzilla.songbirdnest.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2788

So, in theory, if songbird is playing, the following command should pause it.
Code:
songbird --hotkey=playback.playpause

It seems like most of the reports in that thread indicated that running this command caused an error. But if you are lucky, and it works for you, then you should be able to add this line to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal :
Code:
<Key key="XF86AudioPlay">songbird --hotkey=playback.playpause</Key>

There is also an extension to Songbird that supposedly adds command line support using a different syntax (for instance, songbird -pause). It also is reported to be buggy, and it is not clear to me if it ever properly supported the Linux flavor of Songbird, although some folks seem to have had good luck with it.

http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/1381

As you have noticed, support for Linux in Songbird seems to be an on-again / off-again proposition. Since you have had success with another media player, you are probably better off staying with that.

I never tried Songbird, and know nothing about it except what I've read at the above URLs. So I've not tried any of this. If you feel adventurous, go for it. But be forewarned that the odds of success may be slim.

p310don wrote:
Would I be right in the assumption that this media key support in puppy is only possible with programs that are controllable from the command line?

No. Some programs do have native hotkey support. There is no need to set up commands for them. As you have already discovered, Deadbeef has this support with the Global Hotkeys plugin. (It also can be controlled with commands (see deadbeef --help), but that is unnecessary when you use the plugin.) Audacious is another program that is said to have native hotkey support (after adding the hotkey plugin), although I've never tried it.
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: