Lucid puppy won't start

Booting, installing, newbie
LoboGrande

Lucid puppy won't start

#1 Post by LoboGrande »

Earlier today I was downloading a .pet file in Lucid Puppy 5.0. and it froze. I thought no problem, I'll just reboot. It will load then I get a ton of ### and error codes. I tried rebooting with the Live CD but it just goes into the same error even with pfix-clean,purge and noram. The computer will open and run in Puppy 4.3.1 and everything for Lucid is there. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the luposave file and .sfs file from the CD while in Puppy 4.3 but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

Here's what I've got:

2.8 ghz P4 with 800FSB/1mb cache
Asus P4P800SE MB with 4gb ddr/3200 ram
Maxtor 80gb HDD

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

So if I get your description. You have access to two Live CD with puppy431 on one and Lupu500 on the other.

Then you have installed both puppy431 abd lupu500 on your hdd?

But when you try to boot lupu 500 on the HDD then it fails and when you try to boot lupu 500 on the CD that fails too

But you can still use puppy 431 both on HDD and CD?
. The computer will open and run in Puppy 4.3.1 and everything for Lucid is there.

do you refer to a frugal install or full install of Lupu 500 on the HDD?

Maybe it could be of help if you copy the menu.lst of the install? Did you use the live CD to format and partition the HDD.

I remember vaguely that sometimes people suggest one run a kind of repair using pfix=fsck or similar in the kernel line at boot up?

I am not the right person to guide you but saw your post getting under the radar so I gently try to make it visible again.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

LoboGrande

#3 Post by LoboGrande »

I originally did a full install of 4.3.1 on the HDD and then used the upgrade feature on the Lucid Puppy 5.0 to install it on to the HDD. It won't completely open with the Lucid Puppy Live CD but it will open with the 4.3.1. Live CD. It stalls with the Lucid CD after Xwin opens. it gives me a screen full of characters with either Lucid and it won't let me even type reboot or poweroff to close.

LoboGrande

#4 Post by LoboGrande »

ran pfix=fsck, here's what came up:

EXT3-FS error(deviceloop1) ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block inode= 65537, block262146

kernal panic- syncing- attempting to kill init

rjbrewer

#5 Post by rjbrewer »

Trying to "upgrade" the full install from 4.3x to the new versions
and kernels will not work right.
You need a fresh install of whatever new version you want.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

I can confirm what rjbrewer tells you. I've read that this had happen to others too.

A fast solution is to do a frugal install and add the proper menu entry then you can test until you are satisfied you know what version works best so when you do full install you can do the set up with the programs you prefer.

LoboGrande

Fixed and thanks

#7 Post by LoboGrande »

Evidently, there was nothing wrong with the Lucid Puppy installation. I'd meaning to upgrade my cpu from a P4 2,8 ghz/512kb/800FSB to a 3.0 ghz/1024kb/800 FSB that I picked up dirt cheap but was waiting for some Artic Silver thermal paste. I had turned on the CPU frequency scaling function but evidently the older CPU didn't like that. After installing the newer cpu, I decided to try and restart Lucid Puppy before I reinstalled it and everything came back to life. There must be some bug in CPU Freq. Scaling that my mobo or cpu didn't like.

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

Good that it works now. Formally when a thread has come to its natural end as a memeber of the forum one need to Eidt the first post and in the title change from this:

Lucid puppy won't start

to this:

Lucid puppy won't start [Solved]

Not to stress you or anything. Just a friendly reminder just in case you forgot.