HanSamBen 431- Kids Linux distro based on Puppy Linux 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
beyondbeige

#16 Post by beyondbeige »

Hi,

HanSamBen 431 full install with Etoys & Childsplay loaded (using the links from sidders first post above).

On each pc re-boot an extra icon for Etoys & Childsplay is created on the desktop (the icons are created on top of one another).

I have installed HanSamBen on two pc's, both have this problem; otherwise runs great.

At a guess this icon creation is in a start-up script somewhere, anyone know what I need to change?

sidders

#17 Post by sidders »

Just back. The icon creator script for the SFS is in /Startup

Thank for pointing it out, i havnt had a lot of time .recently, but with the missus off work for a couple of weeks i will be able to fix the script and answer previous queries etc.

sidders

#18 Post by sidders »

Uploading Hanssamben to Megaupload.com. I will post the alternative links on the fist post.
I am uploading the 412 series aswell, as they were removed by file front.

ASRI éducation

#19 Post by ASRI éducation »

The suite OO4Kids upgrade to version 1.0.

Together, the project given birth to OOoLight.

.pet & .sfs (89 MB) compatible with Puppy 431

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 528#456528

Sincerely

macaronij

#20 Post by macaronij »

i really liked the distro, but PLEASE this project need a web page, because is too confusing to search trought ALL the pages/posts... i downloaded an old version...
thanks!

sidders

#21 Post by sidders »

I need to get back on top of this project, i also need to learn apache, HTML and all other things web.
I will purchase the domain name tonight and get cracking.

sidders

#22 Post by sidders »

If anybody thinks they have a better name for the prohect then let me know before i go ahead and order the name.
I'm putting together a simple site.

yaaarrrgg

#23 Post by yaaarrrgg »

Wow, this is a great version of linux.

I was trying to salvage an old computer for my son's preschool. As experiment, I've tried out many different distros on an old pentium III with 192 MB of ram (like xubuntu, lubuntu, puppy 5.11, and HanSamBen). The ones that make setup a breeze are too heavyweight, and the lightweight distros were a bit tricky to install software like gcompris, etc.

Your's worked the best, for my case, of all I tried. I think it fills a critical niche that other distros are not really focused on. Since it satisfies multiple goals: computer literacy, recycling old computers, promoting free software, etc. As more and more computers are tossed out, a niche like this only becomes more important.

I honestly think this project has the potential to be a top level distro in itself. I think you've got a hit here. :)

I like the name, and you should keep if you like it. The only other names I might suggest would be something descriptive to this niche.. like MyFirst Linux, or Kids Linux, Little Linux, or something like that. So when people read it, they immediately get a feel for what niche it's aimed

SouthPaws

Suggestion

#24 Post by SouthPaws »

How about...

KID-PUP...
I could see someone coming up with a nice logo for that!

sidders

#25 Post by sidders »

The ones that make setup a breeze are too heavyweight
Do you mean to set up on a PC. Would something like Shinobars Quickset be better. This is where the first boot is loaded with default values such as Video resolution, keyboard layout etc, then a GUI is displayed where the values can be changed.

I like Kidpup

yaaarrrgg

#26 Post by yaaarrrgg »

sidders wrote:
The ones that make setup a breeze are too heavyweight
Do you mean to set up on a PC. Would something like Shinobars Quickset be better. This is where the first boot is loaded with default values such as Video resolution, keyboard layout etc, then a GUI is displayed where the values can be changed.

I like Kidpup
Thanks for the tip, I'll check that one out too. Specifically, here's my results from testing:

xubuntu: very slow. I couldn't install. Though even though the machine met the minimum memory requirements, I used the standard install. I probably should have used the alt install CD instead.

lubuntu: installed, ran, but was sluggish. Adding preschool pack was simple, but eventually the machine started trashing and became unusable.

puppy 5.11: easy install, added the ubuntu repo, but couldn't get gcompris to run correctly. It complained about an alsa lib. While performance was usable, the machine ran at a load of 1 to 2 consistently.

hansamben 433: easy install, great performance...machine had no thrashing. Firefox, flash, gcompris already installed, and it all worked great. Load is < 1 consistently.

I would have also tried DSL again, or slackware, but it probably would have taken me a week to get a preschool pack of software installed and working.

The machine is a HP Vectra VLi8 (~450 MHz) with 192 MB Ram. It's a great machine, now.

sidders

#27 Post by sidders »

Just created part of the KDE Education project as an SFS. It includes
Khangman
Klettres
Blinken
Ktuberling
Kgeography

Its on the first post.

ASRI éducation

#28 Post by ASRI éducation »

OO4Kids 1.1 .pet & .sfs => http://asri.la-super-boite.fr/ooo/

Daniumta

screenshots

#29 Post by Daniumta »

Congratulations about your terrific work with that puplet, and excuse my poor english...

Can u share some screenshots about the distro? i wanna know how it looks if possible...

hugs! :D

sidders

#30 Post by sidders »

I have just stayed in the shadows looking and working out what to do next. I have experimented with getting Gcompris 9 working (still it complains about GTK).

My plan is this.

1.I will create a Tripod account and create a simple web site. ( in progress).

2. I have been keeping an eye on Saluki (Puppy from scratch) i will build the next HSB from that with Gcompris 9.

3. Create a proper web site with domain name etc for the above.

Daniumta - it will plenty of screenshots

yaaarrrgg - i didnt respond when you posted, i have taken in everything you have said - thanks

ASRI éducation - i'm still here, thanks for the OO.
Attachments
abi.png
Abiword and all its extra fonts
(142.27 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

Puppyt

HanSamBen 431 / Kidpup suggestions

#31 Post by Puppyt »

Hi sidders -

I've been trying valiantly to have HSB-431 up and running on the kids' game/multimedia computer these holidays, but have been massively thwarted by hardware configurations (e.g., SD-card home drive master and PATA drive in a SuperRack enslaved for movies; 100mb zip drive hooked up as a secondary slave), or RAM stick self-destructions, or fschk shennanighans with FireFox breakdowns - but mostly the kiddie's desire to run the ShockwaveFlash game "Bloons Tower Defence 4" or even "Mr Bean's Trouble at the Hair Salon". Kabloohey goes the computer. This behaviour was universal to all flavours of Puppy that I tried - HSB itself was definitely not at fault. Most regrettably, the breakages experienced with FireFox/SeaMonkey/Flash were also similar with OO4Kids 1.1 - thankyou ASRI éducation - but the kids really enjoyed what they saw and experimented with before breakage occurred.

To get Shockwave Flash operational (either within a browser or standalone player - v10.0.5 and later versions - even earlier Flash9 pets) I even tried to install Icewm and XFCE in HSB to sidestep issues with Flash and JWM reported elsewhere, but to no avail. I even attempted running the games under Wine, but I couldn't even get your Wine pet going in HSB-412 properly. Hardware issues yes - but I had also completely forgotten about using the Cabextract pet with technosaur's winetricks - that's the trouble with a standalone (no internet) computer - you quickly find yourself in the dark about the little problems that crop up with installation hijinks.

There isn't much in the way of educational Flash games anyway at present, unless you count downloads from this site:
http://www.theproblemsite.com/flash_games.asp. It seems however that any SWF beasties should be let well enough alone in Puppy, for the time being.

Now my kids are well within the demographic that HSB is aimed squarely at, although we have avoided using/installing Childsplay as it is "for babies". Thanks for including that as an optional download SFS. AJ's hasn't really hit the spot with my kids, but Fatty Bear will forever be a perennial favourite.
My dastardly plan is to get my son - who is just getting into the maps and Machiavelli stage, at the end of Year 2 - interested in "Lords of Midnight". Explanations and downloads of various remakes available here -

http://homepages.ge.ucl.ac.uk/~kmitchel/home/,
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~cubranic/jlom/jlom.html,
here,
http://www.frozenempire.net/remakes/lom ... uction.htm,
but the wellspring is definitely here with Chris Wild's site:
http://www.icemark.com/tower/index.html. I'll let you know when/if I can get them going - JRE will be needed...

I'm not even going to mention that other classic, Elite, which has been made into the open-source "OOlite" http://www.oolite.org/about. Perhaps it's a bit old for my kids at the moment, though I'm sure that the deb version would run in Lupu with minimum hassle. I would see the games listed above as decent bridges for children older than the gCompris demographic . Ecomoney included a version with his c64 emulator way back in his v.0.72 pupplet (I think), but I haven't seen it discussed lately for Puppy Linux. I guess I'm searching for games that are cognitively challenging and not first-person-shooter, and I reckon that LOM and OOlite fit the bill, as well as being community-based.

I found that installing SilverPuppy's recovery-after-improper shutdown in 412 and 431 worked a blimmin treat. would you consider implementing that as standard in future Puppy4 HSB releases? I realize that the self-repair ability is standard now in Puppy5. For improving file system stability I could not for the life of me get HSB-431 full-installed on a SD-drive formatted with Ext3. Worked with HSB-412 (um. Initially). Kernel issue there perhaps? Do you mention somewhere that Ext2 is best for HSB?

I'd really like to see an easy-to use countdown timer installed in HSB. Time limits between kids for various games to reduce the opportunities for sibling conflict etc. NumLock=on as standard would also be a real plus - don't know how many times the keypad has caused confusion and delay by not behaving as advertised.

Multimedia options are a plus I think with HSB - I have used ttuuxx's VLC 0.8.6f very reliably in HSB of all flavours - particularly handy as it automatically links to the DVD player without the need to type "//mnt/hdc" anymore in the offending dialogue every time a disc needs to be changed. Perhaps you could mention the expandability of HSB for multimedia roles in your up-and-coming website.

With your intended website, please could you remember to post instructions on un-pinning the desktop to remove any icons that aren't necessary, and various other keyboard short-cuts. How to implement the Puppy Event Manager to have drive icons appear when USB sticks etc would be helpful - although I realise that this is intentionally circumvented for data protection from mischievous mousy fingers. Would really be helpful to highlight the password for the "Recycle This" option you and ecomoney have been working on.

For your one-click Recycling plans, could you incorporate Memtest or something similar to be run from the desktop environment? A little suite of diagnostic software or tips on how to do this from within Puppy would be helpful. If they exist - but I haven't found them yet.

What about considering wBar rather than a icon-laden desktop in future releases/options?

While waiting for new RAM and perhaps a new CPU to arrive for the kid's computer, I'll probably be dreaming of ways of expanding HSB on a no-internet-access computer with java, Wine, XFCE... What about I pre-load something like Bruno (4.31) on a fresh ext2-formatted drive, then Very Cleverly over-install HSB-431 as an upgrade? Best of both worlds, or a World of Pain?
The Silly Season Approacheth...

Cheers!

PS Don't rush on replying to these observations - I'll be taking similar ideas to Martin and his 301-revamped PuppyTLC that will be arriving officially any................ second............................... now :). It will cover a different hardware demographic http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewtopic.php?t=62363
PPS Kids computer - ASROCK K7S41gx, Duron 1800+ CPU, 512Kb PC2100 DDR. SuperRack IDE drive for movie database is now a USB caddy.
Last edited by Puppyt on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 02:37, edited 2 times in total.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

moB

logo-- programming for children

#32 Post by moB »

You can get the logo programming tools for children here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56948

The program is fun for children and adults alike.

Learn to program with the famous turtle graphics.

Supports structured and object-oriented code styles. Text-books available free online from the author, Brian Harvey

Enjoy!

moB

For some time past, though at intervals only, the unaccompanied,
secluded White Whale had haunted those uncivilized seas...
--Melville, Moby Dick

ps
login: puppy
pass: linux
:

sidders

#33 Post by sidders »

Puppyt. thank you sir. I have read your post a couple of times and am going to look at it in bitesize.

mrtimo

how to install HSB puppy

#34 Post by mrtimo »

So, I install HSB for my nephews every Christmas.

Can someone just refresh my memory on the install process?

I think it is set to boot off the NTSF partition, can I just replace the files with the new HSB 431, and add more sfs files... ?

Or should I do a fresh install... can someone just give me a short list of the install process?

moB

Re: how to install HSB puppy

#35 Post by moB »

mrtimo wrote:So, I install HSB for my nephews every Christmas.

Can someone just refresh my memory on the install process?

I think it is set to boot off the NTSF partition, can I just replace the files with the new HSB 431, and add more sfs files... ?

Or should I do a fresh install... can someone just give me a short list of the install process?
Béèm wrote:For this you can download the new iso and mount it while in the old version and then copy the new files over the old ones.
Best is to copy the pup_save.2fs as it will be upgrade on the next boot. So you can revert to that copy in case something went wrong.
on Mon 27 Oct 2008
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34910

Example:

1. Download/Save puppy .iso to C:\tmp\Pup341.iso ...aka: /mnt/home/tmp/Pup341.iso

2. Make a temproary mountpoint.

Code: Select all

# mkdir /mnt/home/tmp/mntpt 
3. Mount iso. At CLI (terminal) say:

Code: Select all

# mount -o loop /mnt/home/tmp/Pup.341.iso /mnt/home/tmp/mntpt 
[Nb. you may need -t iso9660 switch for mount. See # mount --help.]

3. Copy files as per above advice. See above link to forum topic.

Google has lots, too: http://www.google.com/search?q=site:mur ... om+upgrade

Onwards,
moB

"Ere this, you must have plainly seen the truth of what I started with..."
--Melville, Moby Dick

[edit] One can also mount the old savefile this way to copy over files. [/edit]