Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 03 Sep 2014, 04:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
The Woof that is Building Lucid Puppy 5.1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun 2010, 14:31    Post subject:  The Woof that is Building Lucid Puppy 5.1
Subject description: Woof for Everyone - Open for Business

Woof is the future of Puppy; at least, that's the impression I get from Barry. It's not that hard; anyone with an extra 10GB of disk space and a broadband connection can set it up and follow and contribute to the development of Lucid Puppy 5.1. One's installation can be full or frugal--I started with full but use frugal now, and then use an extra disk that I have for the Woof space. One thing to note is that using Woof is not the only way to be involved with the development of Lucid Puppy 5.1, so if it doesn't appeal to you right now then please don't worry, and please stay involved!

Setting up Woof. Barry has already written the instructions -> http://bkhome.org/woof/

If you follow Barry's instructions, the Woof you create will be able to build Lucid Puppy 5.0.1. It will not be exact--in some ways it will be better because you will be using the latest Woof and the latest Ubuntu binaries (and that might create a glitch or two, but, hey, that's par for the course).

The first thing you would want to do after setting up Woof, would be to learn what the various files are there for.

Packages-Puppy-3-official, etc.
The list of packages on each of the repos. Updated by the Download db tab. If a package fails to download, there is some discrepancy between the list of packages and the actual files in the repo.

DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-*
This is the “recipe” for building each woof puplet. They are the instructions that will be followed to know which deb and pet packages to download--Download pkgs tab, and assemble--Build pkgs tab--into the packages that will be used by Woof to build the distro--Build distro tab. We use DISTRO-PACKAGES-SPEC-ubuntu-lucid. This is the recipe that I prepared to reconcile Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 with Woof. It will build LP 5.0.1 but with the latest Woof files and the latest Ubuntu files--assuming that you update your Woof installation (# bones download) and update the repos (Download dbs). Just do not make syntax errors!

Ubuntu packages have the form:
Code:
yes|abiword|abiword,abiword-common,libabiword-2.8,libabiword-2.8-dev|exe,dev,doc,nls

Pet packages have the form
Code:
yes|abiword||exe,dev,doc,nls

Playdayz *current* DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid with as used to build luci-202 ->
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid

packages-templates folder. When the packages are built the process is modified by what is in the package's template. For instance, a config file may be added by the template, or the template could delete a number of irrelevant files in order to save space. Barry’s design intent is that problems be solved by editing the template and then rebuilding the package. All changes to the templates should be closely considered, so if you see how to fix a problem, that is the time to bring me in.

rootfs-skeleton folder. This contains the filesystem that will be used as the foundation of every Woof puplet. Programs and files can be added here and will show up in the puplet, unless they are overwritten by something in one of the built packages in the packages-lupu folder.

packages-lupu folder where the packages are put after they are built.

packages-deb-lucid folder. The raw packages from ubuntu.

packages-pets folder. The raw packages from pets

Sandbox3 folder. Where the puplet will be finally assembled.

Then you will want to learn how to follow along with the development of Lucid Puppy 5.1.

I will explain that here--and I will be posting the various files you will need to be able to build the most current version of 5.1pre.

The way this can work to enhance development of 5.1 is that someone could use the latest version to test some specific item without waiting for the periodic releases. For instance, if someone had the Woof I have right now, he or she could eliminate gxine and the xine-libs in a few key strokes and then add mplayer and the relevant libraries, then build the woof, and see how things are working. If they are working well, then one could refine which libraries are added and how they are configured--if it still looks good, then one could post the config files and others could recreate the version with mplayer and test it. Finally I could take the latest and best configs of the mplayer version and incorporate them into the Woof that I would use to build the next official testing version with mplayer already having received its preliminary testing. The great thing is that some people could be working on mplayer, and others on VLC, and still other on Xorg, and so forth.

Last edited by playdayz on Sun 06 Jun 2010, 11:13; edited 1 time in total
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun 2010, 20:14    Post subject:  

Hi playdayz

Can you post the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid for luci-202?

(hehe, and don't use an apostrophe in the comments Wink )

Cheers

playdayz

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun 2010, 11:10    Post subject:  

Oh darn, I meant to mention that--to delete the comments--I did not know that was the reason though. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's done.
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun 2010, 16:31    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Oh darn, I meant to mention that--to delete the comments--I did not know that was the reason though. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's done.

Comments are OK, it was just the apostrophe Smile

playdayz

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun 2010, 18:57    Post subject:  

Did it go crazy on you? That was a wild malfunction.
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun 2010, 07:07    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Did it go crazy on you? That was a wild malfunction.

Yep Laughing

micko's woof tip of the day...

run this in your woof working dir

Code:
mv  Packages-puppy-5-official Packages-puppy-5-official.bak

then....
Code:
 grep -v dpup  Packages-puppy-5-official.bak|grep -v uj>Packages-puppy-5-official

easy way to filter out the dpup, uj stuff Very Happy

...a little later... that stuffs up PMirrorget, oh well, can add it back in from the .bak file, or ditch it, whatever.

Ahem... had to use quirky gnomemplayer and mplayer.. are they the same?

Cheers

a fair while later Razz

Ok, I made successful lupu-luci with my ffmpeg and it seems to work fine, more deps than I hoped but iso is 142meg .. but haven't tested cups.

Also using chromium and it's perfect, using Ubuntu nss and nspr, fullscreen flash at 720p is perfect, using nv driver.

a little more later

installed my nvidia pet... performance is slightly better at 17500 f/5s, don't know why.

I will post some tricks.

made a file "Packages-puppy-micko-official" containing only this:-
Code:
ffmpeg-0.5.2-i486|ffmpeg|0.5.2-i486||BuildingBlock|3356K||ffmpeg-0.5.2-i486.pet|libopencore-amrnb0,libopencore-amrwb0,libschroedinger-1.0-0,libspeex1,libx264-85,libxvidcore4|ffmpeg|ubuntu|lucid||
ffmpeg_DEV-0.5.2-i486|ffmpeg_DEV|0.5.2-i486||BuildingBlock|24524K||ffmpeg_DEV-0.5.2-i486.pet||no description provided|ubuntu|lucid||

You can grab it from the post in the testing thread and the file with ALL the dependncies are there, not too many, amrnb, amrwb, schrodinger, speex, 262-85.. etc, they are in the PKGS_DISTRO_SPECS attached.

Aha! I knew something was wrong! avutil missing, but ffmpeg works Rolling Eyes Confused , so mplayer is broken,, guess you included the deps in the lupu packages Wink

Ok, off to bed for me, enough fun for 1 day.
DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid.gz 
Filesize  8.65 KB 
Downloaded  379 Time(s) 

Iguleder

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun 2010, 02:21    Post subject:  

I think the browser thing can be solved with Links2. It's very very small.

And by the way, GNOME-Mplayer is a frontend to the beloved mplayer, but I still like xine+gxine better in Puppy.

I'll download it later this week and continue working on Lupu improvements. Smile

ICQ Number 
playdayz

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun 2010, 10:49    Post subject:  

Quote:
Ok, I made successful lupu-luci with my ffmpeg and it seems to work fine, more deps than I hoped but iso is 142meg .. but haven't tested cups.

Also using chromium and it's perfect, using Ubuntu nss and nspr, fullscreen flash at 720p is perfect, using nv driver.

luci-203 has your ffmpeg and Ubuntu nss and nspr.

Cups will probably need my custom template to do everything correctly.

Quote:
made a file "Packages-puppy-micko-official" containing only this:-
Code:
ffmpeg-0.5.2-i486|ffmpeg|0.5.2-i486||BuildingBlock|3356K||ffmpeg-0.5.2-i486.pet|libopencore-amrnb0,libopencore-amrwb0,libschroedinger-1.0-0,libspeex1,libx264-85,libxvidcore4|ffmpeg|ubuntu|lucid||
ffmpeg_DEV-0.5.2-i486|ffmpeg_DEV|0.5.2-i486||BuildingBlock|24524K||ffmpeg_DEV-0.5.2-i486.pet||no description provided|ubuntu|lucid||

You can grab it from the post in the testing thread and the file with ALL the dependncies are there, not too many, amrnb, amrwb, schrodinger, speex, 262-85.. etc, they are in the PKGS_DISTRO_SPECS attached.

Aha! I knew something was wrong! avutil missing, but ffmpeg works Rolling Eyes Confused , so mplayer is broken,, guess you included the deps in the lupu packages Wink

Sorry 01micko. I am afraid I need more explanation here. I will investigate during the day using your mplayer, etc. Thanks. What is showing that mplayer is broken?

There is definitely something different from your build to mine because Chromium in QP does not work in my 203.
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun 2010, 05:53    Post subject:  

Quote:
Sorry 01micko. I am afraid I need more explanation here. I will investigate during the day using your mplayer, etc. Thanks. What is showing that mplayer is broken?

There is definitely something different from your build to mine because Chromium in QP does not work in my 203.

Hmm.. at that time I thought you may have used Barry's Quirky mplayer.

Chromium is a mixed bag at the moment, it is still under heavy development, so it's 'horses for course' so to speak.. that is, if it works for you, use it, if not don't. I know that is not satisfactory, but it's what we face.

My next experiment is to do a build with Ubuntu Firefox enabled.. our main problem at the moment seems to be SSL, which is nss related.

Busy atm, so it might be a day or two before I have some conclusive results.

Cheers

playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun 2010, 18:54    Post subject:  

Quote:
Chromium is a mixed bag at the moment, it is still under heavy development, so it's 'horses for course' so to speak.. that is, if it works for you, use it, if not don't. I know that is not satisfactory, but it's what we face.

That's true, but I think that the problem with Chromium that started with luci-202 is because of the gecko-mediaplyer plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. If you delete those then Chromium 5 is OK. And Chromium 6 seems to ignore them.

Quote:
but I still like xine+gxine better in Puppy.

Hi Iguleder, Why? I always liked xine myself since it long ago played a dvd with better sound than my windows machine with power dvd. But I get the impression than gxine has always been a little erratic in Puppy? Is that an erroneous impression? For one thing we are still using the version of gxine with a 2006 date on it. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: