Cursors for visually impaired users

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
bruisedquasar08

Cursors for visually impaired users

#1 Post by bruisedquasar08 »

I was reluctant to post this here as I am no expert. The following is just what works for me. I hope it makes Lucid 5.0 useable for others who have eyesight problems. Lucid is the first small, powerful Linux Distro that is good on my eyes. The major browers you can choose between have excellent text (Firefox and Opera).

I was disappointed when the mouse pointer proved too small for me to keep track of & there didn't seem to be a reasonable way for me to get a bigger pointer.

It took some time & I had to drop Lucid while I searched for a solution with LinuxMint 9, Which has a full, easy to use accessibility utility in the menu (it's also much bigger and slower than Puppy)

I searched through Barry's blog and there found out he started addressing accessibility issues in Puppy 4.XX. He wrote pcur & a main Puppy team member assembled a cursor package. That information is all I can find on the subject

No problem. It's easy. Just open "Install" and search Puppy Repo 4 for
"CURSOR THEMES". Install it. Press these keys in the following order: Ctrl Alt Backspace. At the prompt, type (do not type in capital letters) "XWIN", You will return to the desktop.

Click Menu; Move the mouse pointer over "Desktop"; Move pointer to "Desktop Settings"; Click on "pcur cursor selector".

Mouse pointers will now be listed in pcur. "Cursor Themes" installs and links itself to pcur. Click on the pointer ("cursor") you want and reboot the desktop again. (Ctrl Alt Backspace). I picked the largest pointer. A tail or shadow would help even more but I can follow this pointer now without wearing a viewer! In other words, I can now use Lucid

--Bruised