The Woof that is Building Lucid Puppy 5.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

The Woof that is Building Lucid Puppy 5.1

#1 Post by playdayz »

Woof is the future of Puppy; at least, that's the impression I get from Barry. It's not that hard; anyone with an extra 10GB of disk space and a broadband connection can set it up and follow and contribute to the development of Lucid Puppy 5.1. One's installation can be full or frugal--I started with full but use frugal now, and then use an extra disk that I have for the Woof space. One thing to note is that using Woof is not the only way to be involved with the development of Lucid Puppy 5.1, so if it doesn't appeal to you right now then please don't worry, and please stay involved!

Setting up Woof. Barry has already written the instructions -> http://bkhome.org/woof/

If you follow Barry's instructions, the Woof you create will be able to build Lucid Puppy 5.0.1. It will not be exact--in some ways it will be better because you will be using the latest Woof and the latest Ubuntu binaries (and that might create a glitch or two, but, hey, that's par for the course).

The first thing you would want to do after setting up Woof, would be to learn what the various files are there for.

Packages-Puppy-3-official, etc.
The list of packages on each of the repos. Updated by the Download db tab. If a package fails to download, there is some discrepancy between the list of packages and the actual files in the repo.

DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-*
This is the “recipe
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 06 Jun 2010, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Hi playdayz

Can you post the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid for luci-202?

(hehe, and don't use an apostrophe in the comments :wink: )

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#3 Post by playdayz »

Oh darn, I meant to mention that--to delete the comments--I did not know that was the reason though. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's done.

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:Oh darn, I meant to mention that--to delete the comments--I did not know that was the reason though. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's done.
Comments are OK, it was just the apostrophe :)

playdayz

#5 Post by playdayz »

Did it go crazy on you? That was a wild malfunction.

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:Did it go crazy on you? That was a wild malfunction.
Yep :lol:

micko's woof tip of the day...

run this in your woof working dir

Code: Select all

mv  Packages-puppy-5-official Packages-puppy-5-official.bak
then....

grep -v dpup  Packages-puppy-5-official.bak|grep -v uj>Packages-puppy-5-official
easy way to filter out the dpup, uj stuff :D

...a little later... that stuffs up PMirrorget, oh well, can add it back in from the .bak file, or ditch it, whatever.

Ahem... had to use quirky gnomemplayer and mplayer.. are they the same?

Cheers

a fair while later :P

Ok, I made successful lupu-luci with my ffmpeg and it seems to work fine, more deps than I hoped but iso is 142meg .. but haven't tested cups.

Also using chromium and it's perfect, using Ubuntu nss and nspr, fullscreen flash at 720p is perfect, using nv driver.

a little more later

installed my nvidia pet... performance is slightly better at 17500 f/5s, don't know why.

I will post some tricks.

made a file "Packages-puppy-micko-official" containing only this:-

ffmpeg-0.5.2-i486|ffmpeg|0.5.2-i486||BuildingBlock|3356K||ffmpeg-0.5.2-i486.pet|libopencore-amrnb0,libopencore-amrwb0,libschroedinger-1.0-0,libspeex1,libx264-85,libxvidcore4|ffmpeg|ubuntu|lucid||
ffmpeg_DEV-0.5.2-i486|ffmpeg_DEV|0.5.2-i486||BuildingBlock|24524K||ffmpeg_DEV-0.5.2-i486.pet||no description provided|ubuntu|lucid||
You can grab it from the post in the testing thread and the file with ALL the dependncies are there, not too many, amrnb, amrwb, schrodinger, speex, 262-85.. etc, they are in the PKGS_DISTRO_SPECS attached.

Aha! I knew something was wrong! avutil missing, but ffmpeg works :roll: :? , so mplayer is broken,, guess you included the deps in the lupu packages :wink:

Ok, off to bed for me, enough fun for 1 day.
Attachments
DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid.gz
(8.65 KiB) Downloaded 658 times

Iguleder

#7 Post by Iguleder »

I think the browser thing can be solved with Links2. It's very very small.

And by the way, GNOME-Mplayer is a frontend to the beloved mplayer, but I still like xine+gxine better in Puppy.

I'll download it later this week and continue working on Lupu improvements. :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

playdayz

#8 Post by playdayz »

Ok, I made successful lupu-luci with my ffmpeg and it seems to work fine, more deps than I hoped but iso is 142meg .. but haven't tested cups.

Also using chromium and it's perfect, using Ubuntu nss and nspr, fullscreen flash at 720p is perfect, using nv driver.
luci-203 has your ffmpeg and Ubuntu nss and nspr.

Cups will probably need my custom template to do everything correctly.
made a file "Packages-puppy-micko-official" containing only this:-
Code:
ffmpeg-0.5.2-i486|ffmpeg|0.5.2-i486||BuildingBlock|3356K||ffmpeg-0.5.2-i486.pet|libopencore-amrnb0,libopencore-amrwb0,libschroedinger-1.0-0,libspeex1,libx264-85,libxvidcore4|ffmpeg|ubuntu|lucid||
ffmpeg_DEV-0.5.2-i486|ffmpeg_DEV|0.5.2-i486||BuildingBlock|24524K||ffmpeg_DEV-0.5.2-i486.pet||no description provided|ubuntu|lucid||

You can grab it from the post in the testing thread and the file with ALL the dependncies are there, not too many, amrnb, amrwb, schrodinger, speex, 262-85.. etc, they are in the PKGS_DISTRO_SPECS attached.

Aha! I knew something was wrong! avutil missing, but ffmpeg works Rolling Eyes Confused , so mplayer is broken,, guess you included the deps in the lupu packages Wink
Sorry 01micko. I am afraid I need more explanation here. I will investigate during the day using your mplayer, etc. Thanks. What is showing that mplayer is broken?

There is definitely something different from your build to mine because Chromium in QP does not work in my 203.

01micko

#9 Post by 01micko »

Sorry 01micko. I am afraid I need more explanation here. I will investigate during the day using your mplayer, etc. Thanks. What is showing that mplayer is broken?

There is definitely something different from your build to mine because Chromium in QP does not work in my 203.
Hmm.. at that time I thought you may have used Barry's Quirky mplayer.

Chromium is a mixed bag at the moment, it is still under heavy development, so it's 'horses for course' so to speak.. that is, if it works for you, use it, if not don't. I know that is not satisfactory, but it's what we face.

My next experiment is to do a build with Ubuntu Firefox enabled.. our main problem at the moment seems to be SSL, which is nss related.

Busy atm, so it might be a day or two before I have some conclusive results.

Cheers

playdayz

#10 Post by playdayz »

Chromium is a mixed bag at the moment, it is still under heavy development, so it's 'horses for course' so to speak.. that is, if it works for you, use it, if not don't. I know that is not satisfactory, but it's what we face.
That's true, but I think that the problem with Chromium that started with luci-202 is because of the gecko-mediaplyer plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. If you delete those then Chromium 5 is OK. And Chromium 6 seems to ignore them.
but I still like xine+gxine better in Puppy.
Hi Iguleder, Why? I always liked xine myself since it long ago played a dvd with better sound than my windows machine with power dvd. But I get the impression than gxine has always been a little erratic in Puppy? Is that an erroneous impression? For one thing we are still using the version of gxine with a 2006 date on it. Thanks.