Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Stripe

#541 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

been testing all night and the only thing I can find that is not working is cups (apart from the file mishap)

congratulations on a great new distro

thanks again Jemimah
Stripe
Attachments
fluppy.006.png
(154.29 KiB) Downloaded 455 times

ecube

Cups 1.3.11

#542 Post by ecube »

Stripe wrote:the only thing I can find that is not working is cups
My CUPS worked after installing the fluppy-cups-patch and reinstalling cups http://www.datafilehost.com/download-16675fea.html
Attachments
fluppy-cups-patch-1.0.pet
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 486 times

Stripe

#543 Post by Stripe »

Thanks ecube
But all I got was a could not connect to local host message
Stripe

jemimah

#544 Post by jemimah »

Question: What do you guys think of the new menu? Was it easier to find things with flat menus? or the new tiered menus?

rjbrewer

#545 Post by rjbrewer »

jemimah wrote:Question: What do you guys think of the new menu? Was it easier to find things with flat menus? or the new tiered menus?
Tiered menu:

Like trying to find your way through a maze.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

jonlowe

#546 Post by jonlowe »

Thought you'd like to know that Fluppy 006 made the lid switch and the sleep button work. The mute button still doesn't, but I assigned another key combo to that, so all is good.

Thanks.

Jon
jonlowe wrote:
jemimah wrote:Jonlowe, open up Xbindkeys (on the Desktop menu), and try to capture the keycodes for the keys that don't work. Then send them to me and I'll fix it in the next version.
Ok, Xbindkeys got Volume up and down to work. I didn't know that app was there, thanks! However, hitting the Sleep key (Fn+F1), Mute key (Fn+F6) with Get Key in Xbindkeys, doesn't capture anything. In fact, I have to crash out of Xbindkeys by closing the Get Key window since it doesn't capture the key. Capturing the Vol up and Vol down (Fn+F8 and Fn+F7) respectively does work (they were the same as defaults).

Is there any other way to capture the keys and and the lid closing action? Some other FN+ keys don't capture anything either.

Thanks!

Jon

Stripe

#547 Post by Stripe »

Hi all
jemimah wrote:Question: What do you guys think of the new menu? Was it easier to find things with flat menus? or the new tiered menus?
Getting used to the new menus, now I have worked out where things are, but no preference either way (but thats with using a mouse)

still not sure about the new taskbar volume control though.

cd's and dvd's work great through the file menu of Gxine, video and audio streaming working great too.

anybody else having problems with the printing as when I tried ecubes solution I still could not get cups to work.

I have been playing with gimp again

Cheers
Stripe

James C

#548 Post by James C »

Just finished upgrading the frugal Fluppy install on my main Linux box from 004 to 006.(Had 005 burned to disc,never got around to upgrading :) ).
Other than losing the desktop icons,easy fix, there were no problems at all.Fluppy runs really well on this desktop.

James C

#549 Post by James C »

Chrome doesn't like Youtube anymore................guess I'll use Firefox for a while :lol:
Attachments
youtube.png
(192.64 KiB) Downloaded 1186 times

Stripe

#550 Post by Stripe »

Hi James C

I have done a clean frugal install and youtube is working with chrome.

Guess it must be the upgrade?? but I dont know anything about that, perhaps someone else can help??

Hope you get it sorted
Stripe

James C

#551 Post by James C »

Stripe wrote:Hi James C

I have done a clean frugal install and youtube is working with chrome.

Guess it must be the upgrade?? but I dont know anything about that, perhaps someone else can help??

Hope you get it sorted
Stripe
I had already done a fresh frugal on a different box......no problems either.
The upgrade was a bit different.......Firefox wouldn't run,guess the upgrade removed some libs.Reinstalled the missing libs and fixed Firefox and I'm not certain of what I did bit Chrome likes Youtube again...it's playing videos again. :)

jonlowe

#552 Post by jonlowe »

Speaking of Chrome; any chance of getting Chrome 6.x in the next version of Fluppy? Some add-ons, specifically Ad Block, don't work in 5.x. Plus Chrome sync is not fully functional in 5.x.

A point of comparison. I have Ubuntu 10.10 beta installed on my Averatec netbook, and I'm writing this from Fluppy on an SD card on the same netbook. Fluppy is much faster in every way. I will likely deinstall Ubuntu. It is, unfortunately, getting as bloated as Windows. The one thing that Ubuntu has all over any version of Puppy/Fluppy I've used, and that is printer installation. Getting my HP 2600n to work on Fluppy is a battle with CUPS, while Ubuntu auto detects it and sets it up with little intervention from me.

Keep up the good work.

Jon

Jon

Stripe

#553 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

The fluppy-cups patch does work I forgot to add the following two lines of code after installation :oops: :oops:

# rm -rf /var/spool/cups
# /etc/init.d/cups restart

Hope this helps
Stripe
Attachments
fluppy-cups-patch-1.0.pet
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

jemimah

#554 Post by jemimah »

jonlowe wrote:Speaking of Chrome; any chance of getting Chrome 6.x in the next version of Fluppy? Some add-ons, specifically Ad Block, don't work in 5.x. Plus Chrome sync is not fully functional in 5.x.
Both fluppy05 and fluppy06 have Chrome 6.

jemimah

#555 Post by jemimah »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

The fluppy-cups patch does work I forgot to add the following two lines of code after installation :oops: :oops:

# rm -rf /var/spool/cups

Hope this helps
Stripe
Where did this patch come from? I'll take a look at it.

rcrsn51

#556 Post by rcrsn51 »

Where did this patch come from? I'll take a look at it.
The original thread was here.

jonlowe

#557 Post by jonlowe »

jemimah wrote:
jonlowe wrote:Speaking of Chrome; any chance of getting Chrome 6.x in the next version of Fluppy? Some add-ons, specifically Ad Block, don't work in 5.x. Plus Chrome sync is not fully functional in 5.x.
Uhhhh, Jeremiah, "About Google Chrome" gives me this in Fluppy 006:

It also has two menu icons on the upper right, indicative of a 5.x installation. 6.x and up consolidated them into one.

What am I missing? I verified Fluppy 006 from the kernel version.

Jon

jonlowe

#558 Post by jonlowe »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

# rm -rf /var/spool/cups

Hope this helps
Stripe
Stripe,
What is the correct order of installing the patch? Install it, then reinstall CUPS? Or vice versa?

Thanks.

Jon

rcrsn51

#559 Post by rcrsn51 »

What is the correct order of installing the patch? Install it, then reinstall CUPS? Or vice versa?
You don't need to reinstall CUPS.

Just install the patch and run the two commands.

jemimah

#560 Post by jemimah »

jonlowe wrote:
jemimah wrote:
Uhhhh, Jeremiah, "About Google Chrome" gives me this in Fluppy 006:

It also has two menu icons on the upper right, indicative of a 5.x installation. 6.x and up consolidated them into one.

What am I missing? I verified Fluppy 006 from the kernel version.

Jon
Doh, seems it got accidentally reverted in Fluppy006. I'll put it back for Fluppy007. Shouldn't be long I am on vacation and working on this full time.