Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
smokey01

#46 Post by smokey01 »

Ok, I tried:
Sometimes it's just the backlight that doesn't come back on. You may be able to get by pressing ctrl-alt-f1 then ctrl-alt-f4. Otherwise you can disable lid suspend using acpi-control.
It didn't work. I then tried Fn+F9 and it blanked the screen. I pressed it again but it didn't unblank it. I touched the power button then Fn+F9 and the screen came to life. It had shut down the wireless connection and I couldn't get it back either by clicking on the icon or entering configuration and pressing connect. I had to reboot to get it working again. I did notice it reporting my internet connection as Eth0 for my Ethernet, which is not connected, and Eth1 for my wireless connection which does connect and works fine. I would have expected to see wlan0 for my wireless connection.

How do I do
Otherwise you can disable lid suspend using acpi-control.

smokey01

#47 Post by smokey01 »

Jemimah I coudln't get bluetooth to work either although it does work on puppeee. Well it seemed to be working as it connected but I couldn't transfer files between my Samsung Omnia and the Kogan.

In the past I have transferred files between the Omnia and puppeee on the eee pc 4G.

Strange?

nooby

#48 Post by nooby »

You need to add i8042.nomux to the end of the kernel line
Wow. Who ever would have guessed that one. :) I had no idea
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

smokey01

#49 Post by smokey01 »

Neither did I.

It's amazing what you can find on the web if you look hard enough.

JustGreg

#50 Post by JustGreg »

jemimah wrote:
The problem is that Puppy Browser is not actually small and I'm not willing to have no browser. The small Midori is not stable enough yet. Chrome is by far the fastest browser, has a good UI for netbooks, and is widely supported.
Yes, jemimah, I do understand and have no problem. As far as the bookmarks and chrome, my solution was to set the home page to the bookmarks file. Now when chrome starts up the bookmarks are right there. If I want to see them to go to place, just click on the home page. One thing nice about learning curves, they are conquerable and learn something.

I have tried the window managers and icewm wins for me.

I will look around for clock or tray files and see if I can figure out how to set it to 24 hour format. If I have any luck, then I will post the solution.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

jemimah

#51 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote: How do I do
Otherwise you can disable lid suspend using acpi-control.
Click the netboook icon next to the start menu. Then uncheck, "suspend when lid is closed".

jemimah

#52 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:Jemimah I coudln't get bluetooth to work either although it does work on puppeee. Well it seemed to be working as it connected but I couldn't transfer files between my Samsung Omnia and the Kogan.

In the past I have transferred files between the Omnia and puppeee on the eee pc 4G.

Strange?
The bluetooth version is exactly the same. Do you get an error, or it just hangs?

jemimah

#53 Post by jemimah »

JustGreg wrote:
I will look around for clock or tray files and see if I can figure out how to set it to 24 hour format. If I have any luck, then I will post the solution.
You need to edit the IceWM config file. On the menu it's Desktop->Manually Edit IceWM Configuration.

Search for

Code: Select all

#  Clock Time format (strftime format string)
 TimeFormat="%I:%M %p"
Then change it to

#  Clock Time format (strftime format string)
 TimeFormat="%R"

JustGreg

#54 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you, Jermimah. While you were posting, I was playing with the manual edit of ICEWM preferences. I also found the desktop change menu for ICEWM preferences. It did not work for me. But, the help mentioned strftime man page. I checked the man page and find the format code needed was %H:%M. I did the editing and it worked. I am posting this using Fluppy. Thank you very much for the quick response
Enjoy life, Just Greg

gerry

#55 Post by gerry »

Well, that idea didn't get far- I can't unzip it. I'm trying to unzip it using Puppy 431. How does everybody do it?

I'm getting messages like "cannot find zipfile directory....", and "Either this file is not a zip file, or..."

gerry

JustGreg

#56 Post by JustGreg »

I did some searching and found in the past the Aspire 1 needed the acerdhf.ko kernel module to control the fan and temperature. The same module is used by Acer Aspire One. I did find a web site with the source code and tried to compile via the make command the module using Puppy 5.01 Lucid. It did compile, but no luck. When I tried to insert it into Fluppy, I got an "invaild module format" from modprobe. I have to search some more. There may be a later source. The only pets I found were for Puppy 4.3 versions. I found that I did have the latest source version 0.5.23 for kernel 2.6.30+
Enjoy life, Just Greg

jemimah

#57 Post by jemimah »

gerry wrote:Well, that idea didn't get far- I can't unzip it. I'm trying to unzip it using Puppy 431. How does everybody do it?

I'm getting messages like "cannot find zipfile directory....", and "Either this file is not a zip file, or..."

gerry
Is the md5sum correct? Xarchive should be able to open it.

jemimah

#58 Post by jemimah »

JustGreg wrote:I did some searching and found in the past the Aspire 1 needed the acerdhf.ko kernel module to control the fan and temperature. The same module is used by Acer Aspire One. I did find a web site with the source code and tried to compile via the make command the module using Puppy 5.01 Lucid. It did compile, but no luck. When I tried to insert it into Fluppy, I got an "invaild module format" from modprobe. I have to search some more. There may be a later source. The only pets I found were for Puppy 4.3 versions. I found that I did have the latest source version 0.5.23 for kernel 2.6.30+
You have to compile it for the Fluppy kernel. The Puppeee devx (you've got to rename it) and Barry's Quirky kernel source should work . I will upload the Fluppy kernel config when I get a few minutes to work on it.
http://puppeee.com/files/Puppeee%20RC3/eee_devx_480.sfs

If you send me a link to the source for the acer module, I'll add it to Fluppy003.

gerry

#59 Post by gerry »

@jemima- Oops! Grovel, grovel- you are right. I've been getting a bit careless about checking MD5 lately, I've never had a wrong one, seems to be a waste of time. Not any more...

gerry

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#60 Post by Lobster »

Used Fluppy to output to a digital TV

details:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 000#425000

video of my adventures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4S7MKuNqc4
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

JustGreg

#61 Post by JustGreg »

I had success with making the kernel module acerhdf for Linux 2.6.33.2. If you are working with the kernel source for 2.6.33.2, one has to:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2
make prepare
in a terminal window. The source is missing some defining files. Thank you, jemimah, for the kernel configuration file for Fluppy and the tips.

Attached, I hope is the resulting pet for fan and temperature control of the Acer Aspire One. It install the kernel module (/lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/misc/) acerhdf.ko, a configuration file (/etc/modules.d) acerhdf.conf and a readme file for acerhdf in /root for your information. After installing the pet, one has to add the kernel to the start up. One manual edits /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to add this at the file end:

modprobe acerhdf
After rebooting, the tray temperature icon will be shown. Placing the mouse point on the icon will provide to you the temperature of the cpu in Celsius degrees. I hope this helps.
Attachments
acerhdf-k2.6.33.2.pet
(7.57 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
Enjoy life, Just Greg

aarf

#62 Post by aarf »

fluppy02: as noted already
Attachments
not detected.jpg
(11.67 KiB) Downloaded 1624 times

DaveS

#63 Post by DaveS »

Following your invitation on another thread Jemimah, I tried this on my lappy. It set up the USB exactly as it should and booted just fine. Ran very cool, 48 deg, but was unable to get my B43 wifi to connect...........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Roy

#64 Post by Roy »

Testing on a Dell Mini-9 (Inspiron 910):

Formated USB drive as ext3 file system and copied extracted Fluppy files onto USB; clicked on boot.sh and followed prompts; rebooted to thumb drive... 'cannot find linux' or something to that effect.

Took everything to a Windows computer to try again. Used Windows to reformat thumb drive to FAT32 and again copied extracted Fluppy files to USB; selected the .bin file for bootability and (after following prompts) returned thumb drive to Mini-9. Successfully booted to thumb drive while netbook's SDHC was still installed in slot (Puppy 4.2x-based versions will not do this due to kernel compilation).

Nice selection of apps! Intel video looks good and is the correct resolution.

Selected 'connect' icon from ROX desktop pinboard and was pleased to see Pwireless2 as an option, among the other traditional options, so I selected Pwireless2. Unfortunately, Pwireless does not see any of the many connection points available at this location and is now set as a hard default – with no obvious way to select the other connection wizards. 'Connect', 'setup', 'Wizard Wizard'... all return only the failed Pwireless2. The traditional options for connectivity are not presented a second time.

[This netbook uses the Broadcom 4312 (wl.ko) wireless, BTW. Jrb rolled a Special version of Puppy 4.31 for this driver and Barry's Quirky 1.0 had some success using the newest Broadcom b43 driver for connectivity (although I note that rcrsn51 went to Ndiswrapper for stability in the Quirky 1.2 bug thread). Tempestuous had created .pets for the wl.ko driver in Puppy 4.2x, but again, there is something developers have noted about where the modules are located in the kernel which supposedly prevents a .pet from working in Puppy 4.3x – although I have used a .pet that places the wl.ko driver – successfully – in Boxpup 4.31.] Ramble-mode “off
Last edited by Roy on Mon 07 Jun 2010, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#65 Post by jemimah »

I was under the impression that the wl driver was fixed in 2.6.33. Are special drivers needed for Quirky?

One thing that's different in Fluppy is that I turned on rfkill support in the kernel. This enables me to have an "airplane mode", but there are some problems with rfkill in some drivers so I may need to turn that off like Barry does. You can see if that is the problem by typing 'ifconfig wlan0 up' in the terminal (replace wlan0 with the name of your wireless interface. If that fails, it is probably an rfkill bug.

There's one more thing that is an issue with networking in Fluppy02. On some machines Pwireless2 tries to start before the network modules are loaded, so it fails. You fix this by editing /etc/rc.d/rc.services and increasing the sleep time by a few seconds. That fix will be in Fluppy03 but you can try it now if your networking is not working.

At the moment, Pwireless2 is the only networking tool in Fluppy. I think I will try to port SNS but I have no intention of including the network wizard.