Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 03:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Fluppy 013
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 113 of 133 [1983 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, ..., 131, 132, 133 Next
tlchost

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar 2011, 18:10    Post subject: Wireless Adapter/Access Point  

Can anyone give me a manufacturer, and model number for
Devices that are known to work with Fluppy 13 that require no
compiling of drivers?

I am looking for a USB plugin(prefered) or an access point
that I can connect via usb or cat 5.

Thanks

Thom
Shep

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 02:53    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
1. Unreliability of k/b (and other?) settings to 'stick' after log-out/in, soft/hard resets & reboot/restarts. I am aware that this was solved for modem settings after extensive discussion and testing of other versions.

There is an old thread on keyboard country settings. See my post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=383442#383442

Yesterday I set the Danish keyboard for a friend. We could get every character except the euro.
Rt-Alt e should have given euro, it produced nothing. But shift-Rt-Alt e produced c with a slash across it, so at least he got the cents symbol. Smile
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 03:13    Post subject:  

Thanks, Shep. How many euros to the cent?! Most distros will display the euro with CTRL-ALT-4. That is supposed to be the 'standard' keypress. Amazing but Linux Mint Xfce is delinquent in this regard. Not sure whether this is an Ubuntu or Mint Xfce, alone, feature because Debian has no such problem. Too much partisanship, bad education in some quarters?! I imagine that both S Africa and Ireland are well aware of euros.
Shep

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 05:03    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Most distros will display the euro with CTRL-ALT-4. That is supposed to be the 'standard' keypress.

Really? I don't get anything printed in Wary.

The Danish keyboard has the euro symbol on the e key already. There is the option in Puppy's keyboard setup to set the e key to give a euro. It just didn't work. Crying or Very sad

I'll pass on the ctl -alt 4 suggestion.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 17:27    Post subject:  

edoc wrote:
Thanks!

It has been set to Powersave - still overheats.

System Info - Hardware - Processor:

Quote:
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dial-Core QL-64 2100.09MHz
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dial-Core QL-64 2100.09MHz

I've only tested on Intel processors. If it needs scaling not provided by the acpi_cpufreq module, it's probably not working out of the box.

You might want to try the Frequency scaling utility pet and see if that helps.
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 17:32    Post subject:  

Jemimah, your are into Asus? I am into Acer but acer use the N270 Atom maybe one of your Netbooks do too?

Do you have any clue why the Temp in the hardware info says it is 27 Celsius all the time.

Does the Mobo in Acer need another kind of program to give right temp?

Acer D255 has another CPU and taht one are up in 45 Celsius and going down to maybe 37 when the fan has worked on it.

So that CPU seems to be read by same program.

Sorry not Fluppy related I am in Snow now. But you knowing those small Netbooks I dared to ask you.

jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 17:34    Post subject:  

Shep wrote:
Sage wrote:
1. Unreliability of k/b (and other?) settings to 'stick' after log-out/in, soft/hard resets & reboot/restarts. I am aware that this was solved for modem settings after extensive discussion and testing of other versions.

There is an old thread on keyboard country settings. See my post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=383442#383442

Yesterday I set the Danish keyboard for a friend. We could get every character except the euro.
Rt-Alt e should have given euro, it produced nothing. But shift-Rt-Alt e produced c with a slash across it, so at least he got the cents symbol. Smile

You can get the legacy keymap selector by picking "more" for the main language. If you have better luck with the legacy version it would be worth mentioning your problem to Shinobar so the FirstRun program can be fixed.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 17:35    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Jemimah, your are into Asus? I am into Acer but acer use the N270 Atom maybe one of your Netbooks do too?

Do you have any clue why the Temp in the hardware info says it is 27 Celsius all the time.

Does the Mobo in Acer need another kind of program to give right temp?

Acer D255 has another CPU and taht one are up in 45 Celsius and going down to maybe 37 when the fan has worked on it.

So that CPU seems to be read by same program.

Sorry not Fluppy related I am in Snow now. But you knowing those small Netbooks I dared to ask you.

If I recall, you need the acer_hdf kernel module. This is in Fluppy but you may need to request it for snow puppy if it's not there.
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 17:36    Post subject:  

Ah much appreciated. Yes I guessed something was missing for it stayed at 27 despite being some 34 degrees from outside Smile

Thanks indeed, I ahve been wondering about this temp thing for a long time. Feels good to know it is not me not getting it. It really need a thing that allow it to do what one expect.
I tell Pemasu about it in case him want to know such info.

edoc

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 19:54    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:

You might want to try the Frequency scaling utility pet and see if that helps.

I had forgotten about that and when I searched came up empty - thanks!

I went here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=424549#424549

... then downloaded and installed cpu-scaling-ondemand-1.3-3.pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=29677

Then I tried some options until the AMD k8 worked.

It set up the CPU range as 1100000 to 2100000 so then I went back and changed it to 500000 - 1100000

I have several pages running, including a video, and so far it seems to be holding the temp at 66C

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
CLAM01

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 22:31    Post subject: €+key  

Shep,

On the Danish keyboard R(right)-alt+e should make the € appear. Danish has dead-keys, to make umlauts (]-key) and accents (=-key) and other marks, exponents and so forth, and if you have hit a dead-key somewhere before the R-alt+e the stroke will only cancel the dead-key. You have to then hit the e again, still holding the R-alt, to make the € (or backspace which cancels dead-key strokes like any others).

a hanging dead-key stroke is the usual that causes things that should appear to not appear. If a double-tap doesn't get you a €, go back through the XKB wizard, remove and reinstall the Danish keyboard, hit the "activate new settings" button again, open a new abiword, open office or whatever, and try again. Old settings sometimes persist in old program-windows.

However, if all else is working for you, if the [ key makes å and the ' key makes ø, the R-alt+e combo should make €.

If the Danish layout is an added one, not default, if your usual keyboard is UK-English R-alt+4 should give you a €, and if your usual is US-International, R-alt+5 gives the € (I don't think the basic US layout provides any options). Setting the XKB group-shift option permits setting a key or key-combination for quick switching between layouts.

And a deluxe feature of Fluppy is an indicator aplet for the tray that shows the current keyboard. Start the aplet from the desktop pane of the control center the setup icon on the desktop starts. The aplet isn't persistent, though, so you have to restart it each time you boot your Fluppy.
dadeo

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2011, 10:23    Post subject:  Fluppy smooth on Dell Mini 9
Subject description: Best puppy install experience yet!

Roy wrote:
jemimah,

I finally got around to loading Fluppy13 onto my Mini-9 netbook (frugal) and... wow! Connected straight away to my rooted Android cell phone -- with the Broadcom wl module as the default! That's terrific!

Buttttttt.... then I turned off my cell phone and went to a wireless hotspot -- and Fluppy13 was determined to connect to my missing cell phone wifi (and nothing else). Finally deleted my cell phone's wireless profile and Fluppy connected to networks that were actually available.

I generated a before and after diagnostics, if you are interested in seeing them. Just PM me if they might be of interest to you. One other thing that I did -- told Frisbee to ignore my ethernet connection -- shouldn't/didn't cause any problems with wireless, I would think.

-Roy
Yes, I too would like to report similarly fine results with my new install of Fluppy 13 on my Dell Inspiron 910 (Dell mini-9).

Since the Mini-9 has no CD drive, it's 100% USB as the OEM 8GB SSD is non-functioning, (locked itself when my sister had unknown issues - I tried but can't hash pw - suspect it is doa) and so far have had no problems, out-of-the-box it all works:
    wifi/ethernet - good
    video - good
    sound - good
    input devices - good
    Drives/SD all mount

The only "problem" would be the same amazon.com crashing Midori issue that edoc is having. I plan on shifting to Firefox right away, will keep midori as backup/test. I like it, reminds me of FF2..maybe 1.x?

Thanks jemimah (and everyone)! Nice work! Mr. Green

Still testing..and learning..mostly the latter.. Embarassed
jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2011, 10:42    Post subject:  

I compiled the latest midori and the latest dev version of webkit yesterday. After patching a segfault in webkit, it seems to be working and Amazon doesn't crash. I need to continue testing, but I think we have an improvement.
edoc

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2011, 11:44    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
I compiled the latest midori and the latest dev version of webkit yesterday. After patching a segfault in webkit, it seems to be working and Amazon doesn't crash. I need to continue testing, but I think we have an improvement.

Great news!

Midori is an excellent compact browser.

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
KJ

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2011, 13:04    Post subject: Midori
Subject description: Midori

Thanks for checking out the new Midori release. Hope it's a keeper with the bugs fixed. If it looks good ... would you please pack it as an SFS for us to use or would an SFS of it mess things up as it is our default Fluppy web-browser? Thanks for all your hard work on these Puppy projects. I use Fluppy and Eeepup very day ... Thank you ...KJ
Page 113 of 133 [1983 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, ..., 131, 132, 133 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: