Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#106 Post by jemimah »

I will add CONFIG_B43_FORCE_PIO to the next kernel and see if that will fix it.

Roy

#107 Post by Roy »

Thanks!

Looking forward to trying it.

-Roy

JustGreg

#108 Post by JustGreg »

I have an Intel Classmate with a 800 by 480 (7 inch) screen, Celeron 900 MHz processor, 512 Mbytes of ram and 2 Gbyte USB flash drive. Fluppy install correctly and runs. I did find the battery monitor did not work correctly. It detected the use of AC power, but, did not show the correct battery condition. The monitor has the battery discharged at all times and not charging. I also tried Lucid Puppy 5.0 and the battery monitor with Lucid worked correctly. The battery was charging properly.

I do not think the issue of the Classmate and battery monitor is a major one and needs to be fixed. In case of the Classmate and its small keyboard, I can only use it for a limited period before I give up typing and go to hunt and peck. This post is to tell how Fluppy works on different hardware.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

jemimah

#109 Post by jemimah »

Out of curiousity what are the contents of /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state?

There is a script in /root/Startup that decides whether to run vattery or vattery-old-version. Vattery-old-version works in some cases where the battery reports unexpected things, so you could try running it and see if that fixes it and I can adjust the script if it works.

JustGreg

#110 Post by JustGreg »

I checked /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state and found there is no BAT0 directory. However, there is a BAT1 directory with all the information. So the problem is the Vattery is looking in wrong directory. Will the vattery-old look at the correct directory?

Yes, I have tried both vattery an vattery-old-version in console terminal window. The vattery-old-version fails with an error saying no BAT0 directory. The vattery program just reports the battery is discharge due to the lack of the information. This is a ClassMate specific issue to me since everything else has BAT0.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

jemimah

#111 Post by jemimah »

That is pretty weird. I don't think either vattery is setup for that. I bet acpitool can figure it out, try 'acpitool -B'. At some point I should make a SuperVattery that tries all the methods.

JustGreg

#112 Post by JustGreg »

yes, jemimah, acpitool does work. If acpitool -b is used then the information is all on one line to the std output. With acpitool -B, one gets multiple lines of output.. I tried to make a symlink from BAT1 to BAT0, but, the proc directory will not allow it. Something to think about in the future.

I did play with acpitool. It is neat. It provides a lot of information.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

jamesbond

#113 Post by jamesbond »

jemimah,

Just trying out fluppy 002 in my newish laptop. Same problem with Roy - wireless firmware is not there (I copy from quirky), it's not extracted automatically (I untarrred myself). Apart from that, everything seems to be in order :D

Thanks!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

smokey01

#114 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah, fluppy is just brilliant on my kogan netbook.

Up until fluppy I couldn't be bothered using it but now I use it quite often. Many thanks.

Are you aware of any scheduling or planning software that will work with puppy? Osmo is nice but it doesn't seem to have a planning function. I would like something simple. It doesn't have to be as complex as MS Project. I did see something called ganttpv but I'm not sure if it works on puppy.

Regards

Smokey

jemimah

#115 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote: Are you aware of any scheduling or planning software that will work with puppy? Osmo is nice but it doesn't seem to have a planning function. I would like something simple. It doesn't have to be as complex as MS Project. I did see something called ganttpv but I'm not sure if it works on puppy.
Ganntpv needs python - which I don't think I want to add to the base install. Technosaurus made a python pet a while ago that seems to work quite well so you could probably get it to work with a little effort.

I did spend the better part of a day a few months ago looking for something like this in the Puppy size range, but came up negative. Most of the suggestions online were for cloud based services. :(

gronos04

#116 Post by gronos04 »

Hi Jemimah
Have been running fluppy002 for a few days on my Panasonic Toughbook cf-18

As with a number of others
Same problem with Roy - wireless firmware is not there (I copy from quirky), it's not extracted automatically (I untarrred myself).
Wireless is - ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmpr
Suspend works from terminal but not from gui.
Touch screen setup is no go but that could be for any number of reasons which I haven't investigated yet.
Did the z cutter business but had no noticeable decrease in boot up time. Will get the stop watch.
Installed skype and qt 3.3.8 . No dependencies missing but it takes 35 seconds to open then fails to log me in. So something is busted there will investigate that also.
I find this a very polished puplet with a number of innovative ideas and plenty of useful applications.

Warren

jemimah

#117 Post by jemimah »

gronos04 wrote:Hi Jemimah
Have been running fluppy002 for a few days on my Panasonic Toughbook cf-18

As with a number of others
Same problem with Roy - wireless firmware is not there (I copy from quirky), it's not extracted automatically (I untarrred myself).
Wireless is - ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmpr
Suspend works from terminal but not from gui.
Touch screen setup is no go but that could be for any number of reasons which I haven't investigated yet.
Did the z cutter business but had no noticeable decrease in boot up time. Will get the stop watch.
Installed skype and qt 3.3.8 . No dependencies missing but it takes 35 seconds to open then fails to log me in. So something is busted there will investigate that also.
I find this a very polished puplet with a number of innovative ideas and plenty of useful applications.

Warren
The zdrive cutter will only shave a off a few seconds, this is noticeable in Puppeee, which can boot in 10 or 15 seconds if tuned, but probably not in Fluppy. The main advantage for Fluppy is that it'll probably chop 15MB of the size of the zdrive.

smokey01

#118 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:
Ganntpv needs python - which I don't think I want to add to the base install. Technosaurus made a python pet a while ago that seems to work quite well so you could probably get it to work with a little effort.

I did spend the better part of a day a few months ago looking for something like this in the Puppy size range, but came up negative. Most of the suggestions online were for cloud based services. :(
I did find GanttProject which is very nice and I got it to work. It does need JRE which is 36M and it is about 9.5M so a bit large. I guess if you already have OO + JRE installed then it's not so much to add but definitely not recommended as part the the puppy suite.

It is a nice package though.

TomRhymer

Boot error problem

#119 Post by TomRhymer »

I just found out something about the 'boot error' problem. It's not just with the save file, adding any file to the flash drive after install causes it. This happens if you add a file either in Linux or using Windows. Rerunning the Bootinst program fixes it, but any time you add a file, you need to rerun it.

jemimah

#120 Post by jemimah »

Fluppy03 has been posted. Hopefully all the firmware is there now.

This also has the Xorg upgrade I did for Puppeee. This will enable PineTrail chipsets to workl, and some other cool features. All Xorg drivers are now installed.

I also added the acerhdf module and the nvidia module to the kernel.

aarf

#121 Post by aarf »

initial assessment: 02 default desktop was stunning with the white high-lites, 03 is approaching quirkys universal grey. not so good for the color blind. icon looks to much like footbrawl though :wink:
03 >wifi works :D

aarf

#122 Post by aarf »

about 3 hrs surfing. getting some short freezes in opera 10.60 which had mostly disappeared in peee-rc5. on one long freeze tried to kill opera and it then needed ctrl+alt+backspace to proceed. last fsck was all clean after restart X. wifi holding superbly. haven't test other things. fsck on opera's partition still clean.

jemimah

#123 Post by jemimah »

I'm still working on mastering the fine art of making wallpapers with mtPaint. :D

If you don't like the grey, there are several more options to choose from in /usr/share/backgrounds. I also take user-submitted wallpapers if I like them.

gerry

#124 Post by gerry »

I'm getting on ok with fluppy 2, do I need Fluppy 3 or 4? Can I keep the same save file (using frugal install) and just replace the sfs?

gerry

jemimah

#125 Post by jemimah »

You can keep the same save file - make a backup first, it upgrades automatically.

I recommend testing first without a save file, just so you know any bugs you find aren't save file related.

(You need to replace all the files, not just the sfs or it probably won't work)