Install Puppy on VMware Player

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
wpwood3

Install Puppy on VMware Player

#1 Post by wpwood3 »

I just went through the process of installing Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 on a VMware virtual machine. This may not be the only way or the best way but, here's the process that worked for me:

How to install Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 on VMware Player using a frugal install

1) Create a new machine in VMware Player. Point to the Puppy iso as the installer disc image. Use at least 512MB of RAM.
Do not Power on the virtual machine until you have completed the next step. (uncheck Power on)

2) The virtual hard drive must be ide and not SCSI so Remove the original drive, delete the .vmdk file and create a new ide hard drive (at least 2GB in size)

3) Play the virtual machine and let it boot Puppy. You can set timezone and resolution now if you like.

4) Launch the GParted partition manager in Puppy (it's in the System menu)

5) Create a Partition Table, a new Partition and format the virtual drive as fat32.

6) Mount the CD (sr0) and the hard drive (sda1) in Puppy and copy the 2 linux boot files from the CD to /mnt/sda1 (vmlinuz, initrd.gz)

7) Run Grub4DOS so you can boot without the Puppy iso.

8) Reboot and SAVE TO FILE. Make it ext3 and 1.2GB. COPY lupu_525.sfs to the disk.

9) Use Quickpet Sfs Get to download the GNU Compiler lupu_devx_525.sfs (click the bar below the tabs). Reboot

10) Use Quickpet Sfs Get to download the linux kernel source (kernel_src_L4). Reboot

11) Create some folders that VMware Tools will need by running this command in a console:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /etc/rc.d/rc{0,1,2,3,4,5,6}.d
12) Install the VMware Tools in VMware. (Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools...)

13) Mount the CD (sr0) and extract VMwareTools from the CD to /root (click on it in ROX and set destination to /root)

14) Run the perl install script to install the VMware Tools (accept all defaults):

Code: Select all

/root/vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl
15) Create an absolute link in root's Startup folder by dragging this file:

/usr/lib/vmware-tools/bin32/vmware-user-suid-wrapper

to: /root/Startup

16) Delete the VMware Tool folder in /root

17) Reboot and enjoy!

Other Notes:
- VMware Shared Folders appear at /mnt/hgfs/{shared folder name}

- You can run BootManager and remove the kernel src and devx SFS files so they don't load at bootup (may speed bootup)

- To eliminate the filesystem check at each bootup edit /mnt/home/menu.lst and remove "pfix=fsck" from the kernel line. (will speed bootup)

- If you want to move the desktop icons (lock, zip, trash) you have to disable the script that tries to move them to the upper right corner. Rename /usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin to fixPuppyPin.BAK

- Even though VMware will allow you to resize the Puppy VMware window, I like it to start off at 1024x768. You can change this in Setup > Hardware > Xorg Video Wizard. This will set the initial resolution Puppy boots with.
Bill
[url=http://www.wpwood3.com]WP3 Photography[/url]

glassparrot

#2 Post by glassparrot »

Cool! Thanks! :D

Ray

Install Puppy on Vmware

#3 Post by Ray »

An interesting post for me. I have installed Lupu528 as a vm using Vmware Workstation 7 and the results are ok, however I have been unable to install the Vmware tools. The problems are that the gcc binary cannot be found and neither can the linux headers, all references to gcc that I supply are incorrect and I presume that a search for the headers will also be labelled as incorrect. I am curious as to how you managed to install the Vmware tools. I did need to create the rc0.d to rc6.d folders to get past that error. Any help would be appreciated.

Ray
Sorry about that I missed the part about downloading the 'pets'. however I couldn't find the lupu-devx one or was I looking for the wrong thing

Ray

emil

#4 Post by emil »

a bit late but for the record
in this forum under projects, there are playdayz development threads
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

1. post in it is always updated and has links to all needed files :D

8) emil

HiDeHo

#5 Post by HiDeHo »

i just want to say that in this tutorial it says to format to fat 32, can you alkso format it to, ext2 3 or 4. or does vmware not allow it

mahaju

#6 Post by mahaju »

HiDeHo wrote:i just want to say that in this tutorial it says to format to fat 32, can you alkso format it to, ext2 3 or 4. or does vmware not allow it
You can format it to anything supported by GParted it's not an issue with VMWare
It is done in FAT32 here because he is doing a frugal install