Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
don570

new version of mtpaint 3.34.60

#601 Post by don570 »

There's a new version of mtpaint (3.34.60) available.
I quickly made a package that supports locales.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-6acf1dad.html

I found that compiling in Puppy 4.31 will suffice,
so I don't have to compile a special Lucid version .

It has one new feature called 'shapeburst'
Just cut a selected area to the clipboard
(with the gradient mode 'ON')
and a gradient is created. The gradient settings
are ignored.

don570

some suggestions

#602 Post by don570 »

Some suggestions:

I don't like the pwidgets logo on the desktop so I did the
following:

Code: Select all

ln -fs     /usr/share/doc/puppylogo96.png    /usr/share/icons/pwidgets.png
This put a puppy head on the desktop.

I don't understand why there are two mtpaint applications
mtpaint 3.34.59 and another called mtpaint-bin

wav files should have a right click option 'Edit with mhwaveedit'

OGG and MP3 files should have a right click option
'Add to Pmusic Playlist'

It worked great for me.
I checked the built-in wacom driver with mtpaint and Gimp. Good work. Thanks.

don570

Dillo font problem with Murga documents

#603 Post by don570 »

Dillo font problem with Murga documents:

The dillo browser has a known flaw in how it
displays Murga forum documents that have been downloaded.
So I did some experiments to try to track down the cause.

I did a replacement of 'Verdana' with the 'Liberation' font
in the html and I noticed a big improvement in legibility
in the quote section. (see image)

I also did a replacement of 'Verdana' with the 'DejaVuSans' font
and the page looked more normal. I also increased the point
size from 11 px to 21 px to make the font more readable.

I request a script (to be used as a right click script) so the user
can quickly change the font name and size in a Murga Form document.
My programming abilities are negligible unfortunately.

Thanks,
Don

tazoc

Re: Dillo font problem with Murga documents

#604 Post by tazoc »

Hi Don,
Thank you for the suggestions and new mtpaint, good ideas!
don570 wrote:Dillo font problem with Murga documents:

The dillo browser has a known flaw in how it
displays Murga forum documents that have been downloaded.
So I did some experiments to try to track down the cause
For the Murga forum in Dillo on LHP 5.00G, just click the Settings icon (last one on the toolbar) and uncheck 'Use embedded CSS'. Converts everything to Liberation.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

its-me-again

#605 Post by its-me-again »

Hi just something to think about. can you please start a new post for each version of lhp. this is helpful for Noobs. also people using an older version can still get help also.

in the previous posts put a link to the next one in the original topic post and also at the end. linking to the next. its best so each OS specific entry can be found.

this is what other puplets seem to do. a must in my book. If you could consider this i woudl appreciate it.

drblock2

CUPS, Adibe Flash, geany, abiword

#606 Post by drblock2 »

The new LH 5.0G is sleek and fast! I was able to install my eight-year old homebrew computer with no difficulty simply by copying the files from the iso to a new directory and updating my grub menu.lst. I selected the nvd option for my GeForce FX 5200 card and X started without incident. For comparison I installed the nvidia 173.14.25 driver and found that it produced a dramatic increase in speed.

Some minor problems:

1. DILLO produced a screen full of error messages when I attempted to select a printer. I had to switch to Opera 11 to access CUPS via the familiar http://localhost:631. I succeeded in setting up my HP 6P printer, but printing failed with the error message: /invalidfont in findfont. I experimented by printing a document to a pdf file from Abiword. This was successful so I tried my LaserJet again and . . . printing worked. I have no idea why, but am still gratified by the result.

2. I downloaded the lastest adobe flashplayer when prompted to do so, but it failed to cooperate with Opera 11. Rolling back to flashplayer 9-1.0.124.0-1 via the PPM solved the problem.

3. The geany bug (does not open files on remote drives mounted with smb) is still with us. This may have been repaired in Luci-246 (see release notes http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60702, but I haven't had time to try it yet.

4. Abiword opens with a long greeting message which gets tiresome after the first time you run the program. I tried editing the default template: /root/.AbiSuite/templates/normal.awt by deleting the text and saving the template, but then Abiword opened with a gray screen topped by a double ruler. You can work around this by resizing the screen: hit F11 twice and you get a normal blank document. This is clearly an Abiword problem, but I though worth mentioning here for the work around.

Whoops! Try this instead: When Abiword opens with the gray screen, click on Documents in the tool bar and then on Untitled1. This should give you a normal blank document.

Many thanks, tazoc, for this wonderful new release!
Last edited by drblock2 on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#607 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TazOC,

Consider trying kernel 2.6.34.1 that 01micko used in spup-052. I believe that you would see a little speed increase over 2.6.33.2 that you used and it would also have support for additional cores as you can see in the attached picture. Spup-052 is extremely fast and stable on my hardware as is your LHP 5.0 G.

I've only observed one problem. GoogleEarth won't start.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
cpufreq.jpg
(128.33 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

gnomic

dem gripes and grumbles

#608 Post by gnomic »

Hi there tazoc,

Thanks for your polite reply to my LHP quibbles. Guess I just have to make a note of the i915.modeset=1 workround for now - sounds like you may get that automagic going down the track :-) I appreciate there is a huge amount to keep track of when putting together a project such as yours, and obviously it is impossible to anticipate all the hardware troubles that may arise.

On the wireless front there may be some problem with the version of the wireless connection utility in 5G then? I saw another comment saying they also experienced problems with some hardware. I haven't really tried to troubleshoot this - guess I am used to having Puppy(s) 'just work' on the wireless front. Will look at this again. Think I did get up on an open wireless ap, will check.

ICPUG

#609 Post by ICPUG »

I've just downloaded the LHP 5.0G and modesetting PETs for test (on my intel machine).

It's a bit late now so will test tomorrow but I know these three files are part of the solution. I cannot remember if it is the whole of the solution. I will try and refer back to Barry's blog to see what he did.

gcmartin

#610 Post by gcmartin »

I have several problems after setting my LiveDVD system up the first of which occurs when I have installed all the PETS I want on my system and attempt to shutdown and save to the DVD. It does not save and it gives thsi message box before shutdown/reboot.

The drive /dev/ SR0 could not be mounted, so current session cannot be saved to it.This can happen if PC has insufficient RAM to copy all files off the CD, or an application is using the CD and cannot be killed.                                                                                                      Press Enter key.....
Secondly, I have a problem with the SAMBA PET (Mobeus's) and I PM'd you earlier on this possible missing library problem.

Thirdly the inability to maintain a PET's install over reboot means I cannot check your i9...PET to help out. Which leads to the 3rd problem....Booting on an intel chipset. I, too, have seen the "black screen" at boottime requiring use of ....modeset=1.

Fourthly, when the system is boot allowing it to take the defaults, I see the base LHP-501 and the ZWine SFSs loading to RAM. But, I never see Mariner's SFS loading to RAM. Should I see that during Mariner's LiveDVD boot (as its default)? I did look for in using loglevel=7 on the console at boot as well.

Finally I like the utility that gets invoked to install a browser. It was a pleasant surprise, but I'm not sure of proper use of it. Seems straightforward, but, without documentation, I am not positive that I'm getting its full and proper use.

I've always liked the innovation that I see in Lighthouse. Hope these helps
Edited: 12182010
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 17:17, edited 6 times in total.

nickdobrinich

ext4 in Lighthouse

#611 Post by nickdobrinich »

Tazoc,
Your discussion on Barry's blog (http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02031) about getting ext4 working in Lighthouse is terrific.
I stand in awe of anyone who can work at this level.
nd

abushcrafter

#612 Post by abushcrafter »

[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

ICPUG

#613 Post by ICPUG »

OK - I've finished testing of the modesetting PET for Intel. Basically it works with one note of caution but I will explain the test process I did.

1) Did a frugal boot with i915.modeset=1 on the kernel line just to make sure LHP 5.00g worked. It did.

2) Did a frugal boot without i915.modeset=1 on the kernal line to make sure it fails. After it tries to enter X it goes to the command line.

3) I now put i915.modeset=1 back on the kernel line so that I could boot up to install the PET. I installed the PET, which I had put in the same directory as the LHP sfs, by clicking on it in ROX. (I wish the Puppy Package Manager would allow install from a file as well as from a repository).

The PET installed OK and I checked the i915.conf file existed with the correct contents. It did. I now shutdown and created the save file on shutdown, so that the new file would be persistent.

4) I now removed i915.modeset=1 from the kernel line and rebooted. I decided to let Xorg autoconfigure (as I has in the previous steps) and LHP Desktop appeared and all seemed to be well.

5) The next thing you asked was to put xforcevesa nomodeset on the kernel line and see if things were still OK. Well, I did that and LHP booted fine - but I wasn't in VESA. I wasn't totally surprised because I thought my savefile settings might take preference. What I did was go into xorgwizard and choose the force VESA option. On reboot of X, I got the black screen of death! However, I rebooted the whole PC again without changing anything and LHP booted up OK in VESA. I don't like VESA mode much so reran Xorgwizard and chose autoconfigure and I was back with a working Puppy to my preference.

The note of caution concerns the framebuffer console. When you have the i915.modeset=1 you find the text in the framebuffer console at shutdown is small. Barry talked about this here:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01726
Basically he solved it by compiling the kernel with the parameter: video=640x480

If you don't compile it into the kernel, you can add it as a boot parameter if you want the bigger text in the framebuffer console.

ICPUG

#614 Post by ICPUG »

My testing above was the first time I have used LHP 5.00g. The dektop is lovely.

Looking round the menu I was surprised to see WineIExplorer. I thought it somewhat strange that in puppy mode we only have a cutdown browser (Dillo) but if we wanted a full browser we could always use IE with Wine! I soon realised this WineIexplorer was a bit cut down as well. I couldn't use it to open an htm file on the file system. It would only allow URLs to be opened and if I tried the file:/... method it didn't work. I wonder if this is something to do with the gecko not found message when I opened WineIexplorer? If so then again you have to get to the internet to have full browser capability. I have this irritation with cutdown apps that you have to go to the internet in order to get working properly. Personal preference I know.

The introduction of Pwidgets in 5.00g is nice although on my 1280 x 800 screen the processes widget is not visible until one deletes one of the other widgets!

With Pwidgets in the Stardust test Puppy there were two additional sidebars - Addwidget on the right edge of the screen and Addicon on the left edge of the screen. Is there a way of doing this on LHP?

LHP is so good I regard it as my Puppy for professional usage now. I am a little worried when tazoc says the next version will be rebuilt from scratch. If it is broke then fix it - don't start again from scratch possibly introducing old errors again. If it ain't broke then don't fix it!

don570

Lighthouse 5g improvements

#615 Post by don570 »

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-788f9fe0.html
I quickly made this pet package to improve the
right click options in Rox Filer.

TO Tadzoc :

Open the package up and see what I changed!!

Video is opened fullscreen with

mplayer  -fs "$@"

tazoc

kernel modesetting, NVIDIA, Intel graphics

#616 Post by tazoc »

@all,
Thank you very much for the feedback and suggestions. I'll keep them all in mind.

I've found a problem with the NVIDIA 195 'L2' proprietary display driver on Lighthouse Update and will replace it today with a fixed version 'L3'. L2 doesn't install GLX properly and as a result 3D apps like 3D-Demo won't work.

I also found that the i9-rad-nouv-modeset-L5G.pet posted earlier won't work with NVIDIA proprietary drivers, (nouveau KMS module can't be removed without rebooting) so I will remove that modeset pet shortly.

If you've installed either of these NVIDIA/nouveau pets, please uninstall them with PPM. If you get extremely small text when exiting X, either boot with puppy video=640x480 as ICPUG noted, or remove these files in /etc/modprobe.d/

i915.conf
nouveau.conf
radeon.conf
and reboot to disable KMS.

Feedback from ICPUG indicates that the i915-modeset-L5G.pet is OK, at least on his machine, so I will include it in a new ISO with only a few bug fixes, probably this will be called 5.00Gu2. I don't want to use a new kernel right now because then all the proprietary drivers and VirtualBox pets would have to be recompiled and repackaged.
I don't have an Intel graphics card, maybe someone who does might have an idea. I imagine getting a blank screen instead of a CL when exiting X would be very frustrating. It sounds like KMS is not working on that machine. Wary uses an earlier kernel/Xorg so maybe stick with it.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

ICPUG

#617 Post by ICPUG »

One of the things that Lighthouse would benefit from is a Control Panel. In fact all puppies should have it. It has often been requested and I have never seen an argument why it should not be there, yet it has not been implemented very often in the mainstream pups.

A Control Panel was in Puppy 4.2.1, I think, and I think I read that Fluppy had it.

I suddenly realised this omission when I was footling around the menus trying to find flsynclient to make my touchpad scroll. Does LHP have flsynclient? I found a script with that name but not an executable.

Barburo

#618 Post by Barburo »

Here is a pet with just the i915.conf we can test. I don't have access to an Intel machine, so if you do, please try this pet on a frugal install, then reboot w/o i915.modeset=1 on your kernel line; then with the pet and xforcevesa nomodeset on the kernel line.
Sorry Taz, I've been away.
Performed the test as requested and saw no difference each boot.
1. Added in the pet to my regular 5G session. Rebooted without i915.modeset=1 on the kernel line, and the session loaded as usual.
2. Rebooted again with xforcevesa nomodeset on the kernel line and the same effect - session booted normally.
I was using xfce each time.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

don570

solve jagged Murga docs

#619 Post by don570 »

This info refers to luci 246 and Lighthouse5G which use the dillo browser.

I found that downloaded pages from the Murga Form were
displaying jaggedly, so I looked for a solution on the dillo
thread and I found it from forum member upnorth!!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=30
(end of page)

I read on the dillo thread that putting the code line

* {font-family: sans-serif !important}

into the style.css file solves the jagged font problem.
So I made a file /root/.dillo/style.css
(it may exist already). Here is the final result.

code, tt, pre, samp, kbd {font-family: monospace !important}
body {font-family: sans-serif !important}
* {font-family: sans-serif !important}
body {background-color: #DAD3D0}

This did the trick. Now dillo displays downloaded Murga Forum
html pages smoothly!!

don570

Audacity install

#620 Post by don570 »

I was surprised to find that a Lucid Puppy version
of Audacity 1.3.12 will work fine in Lighthouse 5G

You can download it here:
AUDACITY DOWNLOAD

pmusic allows a list of your tracks to be saved as an .m3u file

So it makes sense that files with the .m3u extension
have the right click option 'Add to Pmusic Playlist'

Note:

pmusic -a "$@"
will play a song as well as put tracks on the end of a playlist.