Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 23 of 46 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
nickdobrinich

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 09:23    Post_subject: Synaptics touchpad palm detect
Sub_title: add touchpad palm checking

For laptops with Synaptics touchpads (Dell D600 series and others), I found it helpful to add the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the "Synaptics Mouse" section.
This will keep the cursor from jumping around when you are typing.
Option "PalmDetect" "1"
Option "PalmMinWidth" "10"
Option "PalmMinZ" "10"

Also, this will enable touchpad tapping:
Option "MaxTapTime" "225"
Option "TapButton1" "1"

There are many other options to fool with.
Try synclient -l
from a command console to get the complete list.
tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 15:59    Post_subject: Lighthouse Pup 5.00 F (Build 500) released  

Lighthouse Pup 5.00 F (Build 500) released,
Mariner, KDE and Voyager add-ons also updated.
-TazOC

Barburo

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep 2010, 13:21    Post_subject: 5F  

Quick first impressions:
I set up and ran 5F using a copy of my 5D pupsave file.
Update went OK as advertised. I used bootmanager to select new "5F-versions" of Mariner and KDE .sfs files. I think the ability to keep .sfs files in the sub-dir makes good sense, so I used it for the mariner and kde .sfs files. I found that it works fine but bootmanager does not distinguish between .sfs files in /mnt/home from those in /mnt/home/lhp5F so I need to move those other .sfs files to their appropriate sub-dirs so they do not appear in the .sfs list unless common to several versions. (... but does this feature work for previous versions?)
Rebooted into LXDE (that had been my 5D default). Keeps the background through reboots, and has the new network interface system tray app.
Tried KDE4 but it quits before the desktop - falls out to the selection menu. Tried dropping out of X and back again - same. Tried rebooting - same.
Tried Xfce which worked OK but lost the background on reboot.
I am using the same C-F .sfs file as before.
B.

tazoc

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep 2010, 19:07    Post_subject: Re: 5F  

Hi Barburo,
Thanks for the feedback.
Barburo wrote:
I think the ability to keep .sfs files in the sub-dir makes good sense, so I used it for the mariner and kde .sfs files. I found that it works fine but bootmanager does not distinguish between .sfs files in /mnt/home from those in /mnt/home/lhp5F so I need to move those other .sfs files to their appropriate sub-dirs so they do not appear in the .sfs list unless common to several versions. (... but does this feature work for previous versions?)
No, that feature is new for Lighthouse 5.00 F and the latest Woof, and only works if the pupsave is in a subdirectory. When booting from GRUB use psubdir parameter e.g., psubdir=lhp5F on the kernel line. So for now, keep SFS files for other versions at /mnt/home.
Quote:
Rebooted into LXDE (that had been my 5D default). Keeps the background through reboots, and has the new network interface system tray app.
Tried KDE4 but it quits before the desktop - falls out to the selection menu. Tried dropping out of X and back again - same. Tried rebooting - same.
Hmm, strange. What is the o/p of
Code:
plasma-desktop --version
kdeinit4 --version
if that looks normal, exit to command line and type xwin startkde44 (that bypasses the logout panel, which runs from xwin startkde.)
Quote:
Tried Xfce which worked OK but lost the background on reboot.
I am using the same C-F .sfs file as before.
B.
If Xfce misses the background, edit /etc/xfce/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc, inserting 2 lines at the beginning like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
. /etc/profile #100907 TazOC (for wallpaper bug reported by Barburo)
sleep .5 #100907 TazOC
(There must be a space between '.' and /etc/profile.)
-TazOC

nickdobrinich

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 00:28    Post_subject: non fatal error on shutdown
Sub_title: modprobe: FATAL /sys is not mounted.

I upgraded a frugal install from Lighthouse D to F via the Xdelta3 patches.
Updated Mariner and Voyager via Xdelta3 also.
Worked perfectly,
Upgrade time, including the download, was maybe a half hour. Great work.
My old D spupsave.2fs updated on startup as well.

A couple of small things.
On every reboot or shutdown, after the spupsave.2fs already saved message, I get 5 occurrences of:
modprobe: FATAL /sys is not mounted.
I have no automount drives and no harm is caused by this other than being startled by the word FATAL.

qps fails to start with: qps-qt4 not found.
qps-qt3 works correctly.
Barburo

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 03:03    Post_subject:  

Hi TazOC,
The output from those commands:
Quote:
bash-4.1# kdeinit4 --version
Qt: 4.6.2
KDE: 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4)

bash-4.1# plasma-desktop --version
plasma-desktop: error while loading shared libraries: libQtScript.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
... so I guess I'm missing a library. I had noticed something amiss in 5D KDE desktop but it still functioned OK.

I thought perhaps that the "lost" xfce desktop was due to Desktop getting set somehow to "Solid Color" instead of "Transparent" but it happened again so I put in your /etc/profile line and that seems to fix it.
B.

Sage

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 14:09    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Çüìž@9*ǪóÏÒO^èþ¤ø§{}Ñzmž—§8ÊCöÚs^¨¸…xh#6Ì

Here's a brief excerpt. Seen this before - is it me?!
This appears when trying to access base .iso. Doesn't happen with 'delta' file. Appreciate if some kind soul could put me right.
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 18:13    Post_subject: Re: Seen this before?  

Sage wrote:
Quote:
Çüìž@9*ǪóÏÒO^èþ¤ø§{}Ñzmž—§8ÊCöÚs^¨¸…xh#6Ì

Here's a brief excerpt. Seen this before - is it me?!
This appears when trying to access base .iso. Doesn't happen with 'delta' file. Appreciate if some kind soul could put me right.
Hi Sage,
What version of LHP or Puppy are you in and is that the 5.00 F ISO? By access base .iso, do you mean mounting the ISO from within a file manager? I would check the md5 on the ISO in case the d/l or xdelta3 update was interrupted. I can post the md5 on the xdelta3 if that would help. Might be a good idea to check the md5 on the ISO that you're updating from as well.
Thanks,
TazOC

tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 18:57    Post_subject: Please move your SFS add-ons back to /mnt/home/
Sub_title: Extra SFS files in a subdir in LHP isn't working in some cases

@All,
I've found an inconsistency with the way that SFS files are layered in LHP 5.00 F when one or more are in a subdir. They are loaded, but in a different order than if all are in /mnt/home. This is significant in Lighthouse because the KDE and Mariner SFS must be layered above the others. That is why their filename begins with a numeral, e.g., 5-Mariner-5F_500.sfs

Until this is sorted out, if you have moved any SFS add-ons into a subdir e.g., /mnt/home/subdir/5-Mariner-5F_500.sfs, please move them back to /mnt/home, re-run BootManager and deselect back to the left pane the SFS that were moved, then re-select them back to the right pane, and reboot. (This does not affect the main file spup-500.sfs--it is fine in a subdir.)

Please try that first if something isn't right with the latest release.

Barburo,
Please do the same as that could be the reason for KDE not starting. When that is done as described above, open /initrd/tmp/EXTRASFSS with a text editor and verify that /mnt/dev_save/4-KDE-4.4.4-F.sfs is listed first. If so, and KDE still won't start, please let me know.
Thanks,
TazOC

Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 21:06    Post_subject:  

HI TazOC,

5F is working great as a new frugal installation. Only problem noted is that I was unable to update a 5D save file. The file appeared to update, but never completed the boot operation. New save file works great. I'm using the KDE desktop, other than jwm, haven't tried the others.

Cheers,
Jim
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 21:38    Post_subject:  

Hi Jim,
Thanks for testing 5.00 F. After the boot failed did you happen to run click-to-verify, or boot from the new CD? Do you recall if a specific error was displayed when the boot failed?

It would be nice if I could reproduce that and fix it. Of course upgrading a pupsave is not perfect but has worked OK here so far. Will keep testing and trying to improve...
-TazOC

Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 22:56    Post_subject:  

tazoc wrote:
Hi Jim,
Thanks for testing 5.00 F. After the boot failed did you happen to run click-to-verify, or boot from the new CD? Do you recall if a specific error was displayed when the boot failed? -TazOC
It went to a prompt after trying to execute xwin, xorgwizard would run, and I selected the nv driver, however it would just return to a prompt, same thing with choose option, so I gave up and rebooted. Apparently, the problem is with the driver that was in the 5.00 D save file. I have no problem creating a new save file since my important info is at mnt/home, nothing critical in the save file.

I always manually install to a new subdirectory and boot using grub, never bother with burning and booting from a CD. Since, everything appears to be working with a new save file, I have no reason to suspect a bad download, so I haven't run click-to-verify.

Cheers,
Jim
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010, 02:25    Post_subject:  

Quote:
What version of LHP or Puppy are you in and is that the 5.00 F ISO? By access base .iso, do you mean mounting the ISO from within a file manager?

This is when trying to d/l 5.00F base .iso. I just get a screenful of code. The d/l is never there - it never triggers. It only happens with the .iso, the delta d/l starts up nicely.
I've had this before, quite often with very new uploads. I can usually choose another mirror and get the same d/l to start normally. Either something to do with server overload or local overload of my system?? There's probably a very simple explanation, but I don't know it.
pudgypup

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010, 12:35    Post_subject:  

[quote="Jim1911"]
tazoc wrote:

I always manually install to a new subdirectory and boot using grub, never bother with burning and booting from a CD. Since, everything appears to be working with a new save file, I have no reason to suspect a bad download, so I haven't run click-to-verify.

Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim. Can you point to a tutorial on this? Thanks
Rick
Barburo

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010, 12:40    Post_subject:  

Hi TazOC,
Moving the .sfs files from the sub-dir to /mnt/home fixed KDE not loading.
I will continue testing 5F.
B.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 23 of 46 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum