Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Diggs

#31 Post by Diggs »

tazoc wrote:
jasmac wrote:
From Googling that card it appears that it is an RV670, a few of which were AGP instead of PCIe. As CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS is not set in the new kernel from Quirky I don't know if there is a way to get acceleration working if the radeon driver doesn't work.
-TazOC
Correct. It is an RV670 and an AGP card. I'll do some trials with a few other things and let you know. It behaved the same way when I had Ubuntu 10.04 on the machine. The solution there was to do an install from the live CD then on the reboot, stop at grub and add nomodeset xforcevesa to the command line. Once booted to vesa I could go in and install the ATI proprietary drivers and reboot right to an xorg desktop without a problem. I'm not sure how proprietary drivers install into Puppy but will give it a try.

Jim1911

#32 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc wrote: Hmm, what happens when you close the Warning message (see taskbar in screenshot)? If you had to Ctrl+Alt+Backspace or reset the machine, try opening MPlayer from the menu and then changing the video driver before opening the wmv.
Good catch, that enabled preferences to be set. However, none of the other drivers worked either. I guess, that I can change the default player to gxine.

Thanks,
Jim

abushcrafter

#33 Post by abushcrafter »

Failed for me to. Got a "kernel panic" when booting clean (selected not to load any pup-saves).

Got veasa running with mouse not working by letting it update one of my pup-saves :(. I think it was ignoring "pfix=ram" too. Oh well. Poor you has a lot of debugging to do if you can face it still :roll:.

Jim1911

#34 Post by Jim1911 »

The procedure referenced in my signature would not work to install e-Sword, so I installed the older wine-1.1.40. After that change, e-Sword works great.

You may not have seen that zigbert has updated Pprocess
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

tazoc

#35 Post by tazoc »

abushcrafter wrote:Failed for me to. Got a "kernel panic" when booting clean (selected not to load any pup-saves).
Hi, have you tried puppy pfix=ram,nocopy i915.modeset=1 or something like that? I haven't got the copy-to-ram sorted out yet. In the initscript I set the MINRAM2CPY = 2.75 x size of main file which should be more than enough, but reports indicate the copy still fails with a kernel panic sometimes. Using the new-for-LHP 5.00 pfix=nocopy should prevent the kp.
-TazOC
Jim1911 wrote:The procedure referenced in my signature would not work to install e-Sword, so I installed the older wine-1.1.40. After that change, e-Sword works great.
Thanks for the tip, I haven't tried it with 5.00A.
You may not have seen that zigbert has updated Pprocess.
No, I hadn't seen that, thank you. I did find an alternative that looks promising:
xfce4-taskmanager hacked for puppy
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

#36 Post by Jim1911 »

No, I hadn't seen that, thank you. I did find an alternative that looks promising: xfce4-taskmanager hacked for puppy
-TazOC
Yes, technosaurus, is trying to get it into DuDE which prompted zigbert to update his pprocess. The next version of DuDE will probably have the capability to access both.
Jim

Barburo

No Audio

#37 Post by Barburo »

Hi TazOC,
I get no audio when I run Alsaconf
Looked in /tmp/bootsysinit.log and see (in part)
chgrp: /dev/audio: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/admmidi: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/adsp: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/aloadC0: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/amidi: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/audio: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/audio0: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/dmmidi: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/midi: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/music: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/seq: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/sequencer2: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/sndstat: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/speaker: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/amixer: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/mixer: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/mixer1: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/audio': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/admmidi': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/adsp': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/aloadC0': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/amidi': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/amixer': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/audio': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/audio0': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/dmmidi': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/dsp': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/midi': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/mixer': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/music': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/seq': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/sequencer': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/sequencer2': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/sndstat': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/speaker': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/mixer1': No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/fd0*: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/fd1*: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/hd*: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/mmc*: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/fd0*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/fd1*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/hd*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/mmc*': No such file or directory
Any suggestions how to go about getting sound?
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

Abnormalter

Sound on Asus eeePC 900 workedn't!

#38 Post by Abnormalter »

I'm too! On my Asus eeePC 900 I have not sound anlogically...
And the Licid Puppy 5 on 2.6.33.2 kernal has analogically problems. Fucking newest kernel, who has minor version < 10-15 =)

Barburo

#39 Post by Barburo »

One other quirk.
Using LXDE - I configure it with wbar at the bottom and system bar at the top.
When I exit to command prompt (say to run alsaconf) then xwin to reshow LXDE the system bar doesn't show. I can switch to other WMs (JWM Xfce) but on switching back to LXDE still no bar. I can only get it back by rebooting.
B.

abushcrafter

#40 Post by abushcrafter »

tazoc wrote:
abushcrafter wrote:Failed for me to. Got a "kernel panic" when booting clean (selected not to load any pup-saves).
Hi, have you tried puppy pfix=ram,nocopy i915.modeset=1 or something like that? I haven't got the copy-to-ram sorted out yet. In the initscript I set the MINRAM2CPY = 2.75 x size of main file which should be more than enough, but reports indicate the copy still fails with a kernel panic sometimes. Using the new-for-LHP 5.00 pfix=nocopy should prevent the kp.
Trying it now. btw have you seen this:
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - HOWTO Remaster a big Puplet (~700 MB)

abushcrafter

#41 Post by abushcrafter »

It has booted! There's a bug with pcdripper when it will just ask you if you want to rip another CD but you can't get to the rip screen.

tazoc

Re: No Audio

#42 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:Hi TazOC,
I get no audio when I run Alsaconf
Any suggestions how to go about getting sound?
B.
Disregard the errors you found, they are normal. But no sound? Have you checked a couple of mixers to make sure everything is up? Also try the Multiple Sound Card wizard in Menu | Settings | Wizards. Did the sound suddenly stop or was it never working? That's odd. Jim1911 had sound problems in 4.43, not sure if he fixed it or how.
Barburo wrote:One other quirk.
Using LXDE - I configure it with wbar at the bottom and system bar at the top.
When I exit to command prompt (say to run alsaconf) then xwin to reshow LXDE the system bar doesn't show. I can switch to other WMs (JWM Xfce) but on switching back to LXDE still no bar. I can only get it back by rebooting.
B.
Make sure that /Startup has an lxpanel script in it. If clicking on it doesn't show the panel <4 secs, open the script with a text editor and paste the lines, one at a time in a terminal to see if there are any errors. I wonder if the --profile default is right? The panel configurations are in /root/.config/lxpanel/.
No, but unfortunately it didn't apply to Quirky-based puplets, but thanks, though!
abushcrafter wrote:It has booted! There's a bug with pcdripper when it will just ask you if you want to rip another CD but you can't get to the rip screen.
Thanks, we'll have to see if there is an update for that.
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

abushcrafter

Re: No Audio

#43 Post by abushcrafter »

tazoc wrote:
No, but unfortunately it didn't apply to Quirky-based puplets, but thanks, though!
I forgot it had been fixed in woof! Oh well.
tazoc wrote:
abushcrafter wrote:It has booted! There's a bug with pcdripper when it will just ask you if you want to rip another CD but you can't get to the rip screen.
Thanks, we'll have to see if there is an update for that.
TazOC
Don't think there is a update. Well I can't find anything from searching all the forums with the term "pcdripper".

Barburo

#44 Post by Barburo »

Operator error perhaps - mixer had no controls selected.
Even though the system tray volume control showed 3/4 volume and no muting I only got sound after selecting controls in mixer. (I should have tried this first).
I cannot reproduce the lxde error today - I'll keep testing 5.00A to see if it comes back.

I'm really liking this version - the new default GTK theme with the "vista-like" green progress bars, the ability to turn off automount, the icons on the LXDE desktop for the mounted drives.
B.

misiek998

#45 Post by misiek998 »

Hello.
Im beginner user puppy linux.
Today I install lh-puppy in my old computer, and yet found bug.
I cant use polish kayboard - I dont have polish letter, for examle: ż,ć,ą,ę... etc.

If I click right Alt, and try make Any letter, comuter think that I use enter, and text go down.

I try change kayboard for english and again for polish, reboot computer, but It nothing to do.

PS: In normal puppy linux (5.01,5.00,4.3.1) polish kayboard work exellent!

tasmod

#46 Post by tasmod »

Hmm, first time I have really struggled to get an iso working. :(

Video problems with i810.

I had all the symptoms as described at each point. Finally got it working and it crashed out at the save routine. !!

Option of save created a new line in a cli showing the bash prompt and wouldn't do anything else.

Needless to say it didn't create the save file.

I'll continue on with my favourite LHP4 version for now. :D
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

dwillis

#47 Post by dwillis »

This looks like a truly great pup. But i have tried with both a fixed and multi-session CD burn and neither releases the CD so it can be unmounted to play movies. Tried a search for the problem, but no luck. Must be something simple i'm doing wrong. Ideas?

I'm looking forward to switching to this version. It's worth a donation, for sure. Thanks.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

No Belgian keyboard

#48 Post by Béèm »

Me too, I had the kernel panic issue, but when using pfix=nocopy I could load and use Lighthouse 5.00
But there is a showstopper for me
Altho I have selected the Belgian keyboard, and altho this is correctly in xorg.conf, the keyboard stays in qwerty.

Don't see how I can change thhis.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Xorg configuration issue at first start

#49 Post by Béèm »

At first start when I have to configure X and I take the 'default' xorgwizard, I get a black screen. I have to power off and when doing so I hear two barks before the laptop powers off.

My video controller is a ATI mobility Radeon 7500

On the next trial I used the ATI entry and selected the radeon driver.
This time I get to the desktop.
Not sure if I could/should use the radeonhd one.

Once in the desktop I haven't tried to go to the X prompt, type xorgwizard and see if I have the same issue.
Last edited by Béèm on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:

Béèm

desktop drive icons show 0GB space

#50 Post by Béèm »

desktop drive icons show 0GB space
The desktop drive icons show correctly the file system, but don't give the size of the partition. They all show 0GB.

At bit annoying.
Time savers: