Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#271 Post by Sage »

Your respect is appreciated, tz. SM has caused me so much grief over the years. At 233Mb, I don't really care if it rises to 243 or even 250; now, 50Mb is an entirely different story. Better to have the world's fastest browser, a well respected standalone email client and a proper HTML reader/writer, or comprehensive office suite in lieu.
My comment was, of course. a backhanded compliment. It remains my view that such a nice piece of work is spoilt by a single/triple shortcoming. But then, Fatdog64 does have some attraction. As gcm reluctantly admits, there is indeed a rising groundswell in support of my contention regarding SM, and of which I have never made any secret. As for the Mozilla foundation, some divisions fail to impress They certainly have made a hash of Eudora since Qualcomm gifted it to them. There was a time when every top secretary in the USA used Eudora on their home PC, even if disallowed in their office.

Barburo

5d

#272 Post by Barburo »

Hi Taz,
I seem unable to get C-F 0.7.9-1f to run at all in 5D. It worked fine in 5C. I tried C-F in KDE, LXDE and Xfce too. To be sure I did a clean install and retried with same C-F sfs. Same problem: not recognized. Operator error or ... ?

I got to my 5D save file from 5B and 5C through the upgrade route, as I have lots of little customizations and add-ons that are a pain to re-do each time. I was testing out the Xscreensavers in Voyager and found them to be running slowly and a bit jerkily. I then saw that most of the GL screen savers were now available within KDE. (Did you put them there?) I did a little testing with sproingies because it uses lots of video resources, and found it ran faster in KDE than in the Xscreensaver but still not at the rate that I would expect. I did a comparison using AntInspect and found that both had slower FPS than the 3D test. Thought that maybe something got messed up along the way through pets I'd installed and uninstalled, so I did a clean pfix=ram install (frugal of course) and went through the set up process (2 reboots) to get a working KDE after including the pet fix.
Result - sproingies now runs at about 27 FPS in KDE (much faster than using my old savefile) but only at 13 FPS in XScreensaver. Don't know why but at least with this new savefile the video performance is back where it should be. KDE desktop effects is also faster now but somehow they don't have quite the snap or look and feel that C-F has, (even after meddling with the variables in KDE).

For what it's worth I tried Chrome but it failed on some pages that I use a lot. Firefox does open them properly. I used Seamonkey in LHPup 3 gold and liked it. As I have now abandoned traditional email clients and use gmail almost exclusively, I find the combination of Firefox with Adblock plus (which removes all of those adverts in gmail quietly and unobtrusively) is best for me. It provides the most flexibility (and great spam filtering too) plus access from any connected device.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

tazoc

Re: 5d

#273 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:Hi Taz,
I seem unable to get C-F 0.7.9-1f to run at all in 5D. It worked fine in 5C. I tried C-F in KDE, LXDE and Xfce too. To be sure I did a clean install and retried with same C-F sfs. Same problem: not recognized. Operator error or ... ?
Nope, my oversight. I switched the /usr/bin/python symlink from python2.5 to python2.6 without updating some of the C-F scripts that needed python2.5. Will make a fixed C-F SFS available soon after testing it and I will look at Xscreensavers also.
Thanks,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

8-bit

#274 Post by 8-bit »

How about another oversight?
When I rightclicked on the xdelta3 file in Lighthouse-5.00-Mariner, the xdelta3 or xdelta3GUI was not a listed option in either the main or openwith popup menu.
I admit that the command line one works, but this is the first I knew of it.
If you are offering xdelta3 updates, you should also offer the program to use as an option in the right-click menu.

tazoc

#275 Post by tazoc »

Hi 8-bit,
It's there for me, I have no idea why it's not for you.

Might be interesting to try booting with pfix=ram and check the same file. Of course you could always just d/l the full version of the ISO!
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

8-bit

#276 Post by 8-bit »

I had already downloaded the full Lighthouse C version.
That was the one with all the extra sfs files included in it.
The MD5SUM checked ok and I had been using it for a while.
When I dl/ed the xdelta3 file for the C-D version, it was the one for the same that I had downloaded earlier.
Sure, xdelta3 is available from the command line. But it is NOT in the right-click menu. And the offering in the main menu is for Xdelta.
And when the Xdelta GUI is run and you drag and drop the ISO and the xdelta3 files to the appropriate boxes, the Xdelta GUI just creates a delta file.

After the upgrade to LHP D, the games I had installed had disappeared from the menu and the corrupted pupsave file bug was back.
Did you or did you not include the revised shutdown script in revision D?
And finally, after the upgrade, the Xdelta3 option showed up in the right click menu.

smellyman

#277 Post by smellyman »

Here is a question I can't seem to figure out.

When I imported my bookmarks to firefox, the bookmarks toolbar is displayed on the menu bar.

How can I accomplish that on other computers? Its a great space saving trick.
Attachments
toolbar.png
Screenshot
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times

tazoc

#278 Post by tazoc »

8-bit wrote:Did you or did you not include the revised shutdown script in revision D?
Yes, I did 8-bit. Please describe the partition that contains the pupsave. Is it on internal media or flash drive? What file system, ext 2,3,4, vfat or ntfs. Even though I use ext4 for my host part and ext3 for the pupsave, I still include pfix=fsck in my GRUB entry for peace of mind. If you are booting from CD just press f at the boot menu to accomplish the same.
smellyman wrote:When I imported my bookmarks to firefox, the bookmarks toolbar is displayed on the menu bar.

View | Toolbars | Customize | Drag 'n' drop "Bookmarks Toolbar Items" up to the menu bar. View | Toolbars | uncheck Bookmarks Toolbar. (Reverse the process to restore.)

I'm struggling with anxiety this week, finding it hard to concentrate, and have only been able to work about an hour a day so forgive me if I'm slow to respond. This happens to me regularly and usually only lasts a day or two. Thanks for your patience.
-TazOC

smellyman

#279 Post by smellyman »

tazoc wrote:
8-bit wrote:Did you or did you not include the revised shutdown script in revision D?
Yes, I did 8-bit. Please describe the partition that contains the pupsave. Is it on internal media or flash drive? What file system, ext 2,3,4, vfat or ntfs. Even though I use ext4 for my host part and ext3 for the pupsave, I still include pfix=fsck in my GRUB entry for peace of mind. If you are booting from CD just press f at the boot menu to accomplish the same.
smellyman wrote:When I imported my bookmarks to firefox, the bookmarks toolbar is displayed on the menu bar.

View | Toolbars | Customize | Drag 'n' drop "Bookmarks Toolbar Items" up to the menu bar. View | Toolbars | uncheck Bookmarks Toolbar. (Reverse the process to restore.)

I'm struggling with anxiety this week, finding it hard to concentrate, and have only been able to work about an hour a day so forgive me if I'm slow to respond. This happens to me regularly and usually only lasts a day or two. Thanks for your patience.
-TazOC
Thanks Taz. I will give it a go tonight.

No worries, take it easy.

I see you're from lower columbia basin in WA. I grew up in Kelso.... I see why there may be anxiety. :))

Barburo

#280 Post by Barburo »

Taz,
Sympathy for your anxiety attacks and take your time - don't let the tail wag the dog. Also you seem possessed of much more patience than I in answering any and all queries.
I consider experimenting with Puppy to be fun - let's keep it that way.
Ultimately, Lighthouse Pup is your creation, and I really admire where you've taken Barry's little system that can.
Peace.
B.

Barburo

AMD Sempron Problem

#281 Post by Barburo »

Here's a strange quirk.
I have a new desktop - AMD Sempron Processor 3000+
I cannot get the CDs for LHP 5C or 5D to load.(I verified they work on my laptop).
A CD of LHP 4.1.2 loads OK and so does Fatdog64.
After booting from the CD and getting to the splash page, I've tried every combination of boot parameters but I cannot even see any messages. All that happens is the ... loading vmlinuz and initrd.gz messages, then "Ready".
I also set up grub, and tried booting after copying the files onto the hard disk but that also fails. Any known problems with AMD Sempron?
B.

CLAM01

#282 Post by CLAM01 »

8-bit,

I think you may be too enthusiastic to roll up your sleeves and get under the hood when you go to x-delta upgrade your lhp-mariner-c. The way we lazy people do is, first, make sure we have somewhere with about a gigabyte and a half of extra room, since we end up with two Mariner iso's. Usually that's in /mnt/home, not in a save-file. We make a new directory there and put into it our lhp-mariner500C iso (a silver disk icon), our lhp-mariner500-C-D iso-xdelta (a page witth green text) and our lhp-mariner-500-D md5 file (the usual blue text). Then, when you right-click on either the 500C iso or the iso xdelta you should get the xdeltaGUI menu entry at the bottom of the top group, right above "customize menu". If you left-click the xdeltaGUI on the Mariner500C iso you will get a fail, so left click the xdeltaGUI menu entry on the C-D Mariner iso xdelta file, thee green page. The GUI window should appear and say it is working and to wait.... When a new silver disk icon identified Mariner 500D iso appears, right-click on it then left-click the md5sumGUI menu entry, fourth from the top. It will check the integrity of the new D iso.
It's so quick and easy even us lazy procrastinators can get around to it and do it!
Note that to directly update your current installed frugal install instead of a copy of the C iso, you have to manually add the update files. That procedure is too complicated for me, so I just run the new iso and let it update in the usual "updating from...to..." puppy fashion.
Note 2 that sometimes menu-entries of added programs get lost in updating (also in running pfix=clean). If you open a console and type the program name it will start if it is still there. When I lose menu entries I put an icon on the desktop, because it is easier for me than learning to fix the menu (which I can never remember where is).

A couple of other things I do to slide by on the easy side, that you might find equally convenient are, in abiword, when the gui comes up full of text, just hit the new button. A new blank abiword gui appears and you can blow off the text-filled one behind it. And what we who are too lazy to open the hood and pull wires do to get rid of embarrassing start and stop sounds is move the top volume slider to zero and leave it there. It stays off through shutdowns and starts until moved back up, when we have to remember to move it to zero again, so not to upset librarians, wake the sleepers around us on the night-bus, or over-excite the pekingese of the lady on the next park-bench (or the lady if the sound is "hello", instead of "woof-woof").

8-bit

#283 Post by 8-bit »

CLAM1
I did the xdelta3 update on a seperate partition with 120 gigs of space.
That enough for you?
I also have on that partition, a directory I call ISO_files that contains most ISO's I have downloaded.
As to the menu entries for installed programs disappearing when upgrading a pupsave file, that should not happen and when it does, the backups should be placed in /tmp in a directory specified.
The directory the upgrade process says they are put in does not exist afterword to recover said files.
I guess if you have a version of Puppy up and customized you should back up your pupsave before the upgrade so as to be able to recover those files.
Either that, or say to h with any upgrades and use what you have.
Especially if you got it working the way you want!

If I upset anyone with this, so be it.
The last Puppy version that I have used without problems, after some fixes, is Puppy 431 frugal Beta 2.

tazoc

Re: AMD Sempron Problem

#284 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:Here's a strange quirk.
I have a new desktop - AMD Sempron Processor 3000+
I cannot get the CDs for LHP 5C or 5D to load.(I verified they work on my laptop).
A CD of LHP 4.1.2 loads OK and so does Fatdog64.
After booting from the CD and getting to the splash page, I've tried every combination of boot parameters but I cannot even see any messages. All that happens is the ... loading vmlinuz and initrd.gz messages, then "Ready".
What graphics chip does it have? Could this be KMS related? Also there is a BIOS setting on some systems for C1E. Disable it if present in BIOS and try again.
-TazOC

tazoc

C-F bug fix and GoogleEarth update

#285 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:Hi Taz,
I seem unable to get C-F 0.7.9-1f to run at all in 5D. It worked fine in 5C. I tried C-F in KDE, LXDE and Xfce too. To be sure I did a clean install and retried with same C-F sfs. Same problem: not recognized.
I have updated the C-F SFS for 5D:
CompizFusion-0.7.9-1g.sfs 16M C-F bug fix for Lighthouse Pup 5.00 D

GoogleEarth-5.2.1.sfs 32M Google Earth version update
8-bit,
I've been working on the Xdelta3 bug you found and discovered that the context menu item is missing when the .xdelta3 is saved to an NTFS or vfat partition. I've fixed that for the next release and will update the mimetype, default left-click action and GUI as well. CLAM01's suggestion to save into /mnt/home or another partition rather than in main file system, (pupsave) is something that hadn't occurred to me. I don't know yet if that would be related to the bug.

I haven't observed or figured out the missing menu items at upgrade yet. I'm assuming you have updated the menus (in JWM/Icewm, Menu | Refresh Menus | restart WM) or fixmenus in a terminal | restart X).

BarryK noted a bug /tmp/versioncleanup missing at upgrade. I will see if I can find and incorporate that fix.
-TazOC

CLAM01

#286 Post by CLAM01 »

8-bit,
120gb should be plenty, since the limitation is enough room in the end for two almost 700mb Mariner iso's and an about 100mb xdelta file. I always isolate the process into its own new directory, which I name for the upgrade. When done I delete all else and have only the new iso and its md5 in the directory, where I usually add my custom modifications of the version. I have to add a couple of programs to make my system usable for work, so I always make a custom version with the additions. When I add the proverbial one tweak over the line playing and wreck everything I just shovel out the broken bits, reload and have everything ready for work again.

Menu entries disappearing, even though they aren't supposed to seems to be one of those things computer systems seem to like to do, or maybe it's the daemons in them that like to, to keep us on our toes. Us lazy it makes have to think up quick-n-dirty work-around solutions. The more intelligent, curious and careful it recruits to computer programming. They who have to sort out and find the why and fix the glitch right the daemons thus separate from us who bailing-wire icons on our desktops, and hook in. The next you may know, if you have to fix the menu things, you may find yourself over your eyebrows in code and surrounded by daemons looking to you to massage them. Once they have you there will, of course, always be another with another ache or pain, demanding more massage...
The phantom tmp file I have run into, or failed to run into, too. To work around I make my custom systems and then make a couple of extra directories in /mnt/home where I park back-up copies of what I make or download that is important, that, in a worst case I want to not lose in a wreck of a save-file.
But the added programs whose menu entries disappear, not being gone, themselves, would not be in a removed stuff file, anyway, and I don't think menu upgrading saves old menu-files. You could probably do so before upgrading, though, making a bak copy or something.
My current full-time full-service working OS is a customized Mariner 443 that is doing all and doing all well, being stable and reliable. 500 I am still playing with, but coming up to upgrading to for work. My 443 custom is something over 900mb and lives in my disk drive on a 1.44gb Sony compact video-camera dvd rw, with a clone on a usb stick for portability.

8-bit

#287 Post by 8-bit »

Clamo1.
My mainstay seems to be a highly customized version of Puppy 431 scsi beta2 that Barry put out for testing and then pulled because of scsi disk booting problems.
I had updated the browser to the latest Seamonkey, added a patch for clean umount of the pupsave.2fs file, added a fix for using the man command from a command line, installled the Floppy Formatter program (I wrote the GUI for it) so I could format USB floppies, added pupsave-backup that I found on the forum, and most likely other fixes that I added and have forgotten.
I mainly keep it around for my SCSI hardware though.
I would like to modify lupu-510 (Puppy 510) to support my SCSI devices, but I am no experienced programmer by any means and although the source is included in devx, I still do not know just what I need for the 2.6.33.2 kernel to make it all work.
And yes, I have tried loading the devx and kernel source with bootmanager.
I have lots of drive space and 3 gigs of ram to play with.
I have already tried navigating to the source directory for the driver and trying he make file. But a file was missing there and I am sure there are others I need for SCSI to be successful.
I even went so far as to try to compile the kernel with SCSI support, but my resulting vmlinuz file was 4 megs and the original was 12 megs.
The interesting thing is that Puppy did boot with it. It kicked out an error of not being able to find lupu-510.sfs and the file was where it is supposed to be.
I restored the original kernel and it booted fine with it.

So here I sit all broken hearted. Tried to sh*t and only far*ed.

Sage

#288 Post by Sage »

The last Puppy version that I have used without problems, after some fixes, is Puppy 431 frugal Beta 2.
None of the principal developers want to know! As you see from my recent comments, I've encountered many systems that refuse to start properly or at all since that time. My enquiries remain ignored. It is very inconvenient for them. The only option for me has been to switch to Mint, Austrumi and a handful of others which perform flawlessly on all systems. Mint also recognises some of my webcams that others prefer to avoid.
As I've said many times, my strength is HW & my weakness is SW which limits my ability to cope with the breath-taking pace of recent 'progress'. One step forward...?!

Billtoo

Lighthouse Pup 5.00 D 223M Xorg-server 1.7.7

#289 Post by Billtoo »

I just discovered Lighthouse Pup a few days ago and it's working very well for me.
I'm using xfce and I have installed many of the sfs modules.
I wish I'd found lhp sooner, it's one of the best imho.
Thanks.

tazoc

LHP_5.00-D_update1.pet

#290 Post by tazoc »

Thank you, Billtoo. :D

Yesterday I found that some files, notably /bin/mount-FULL and /usr/share/alsa may not get updated when upgrading from LHP 5.00 C to D, build 490->495. This can cause audio problems and a 'failed' status during boot-up at "Making the filesystem usable...". Some dialogs may show 'puppyversion' as 490, instead of 495. I have corrected this for the next release, and attached a PET below with these and a few other updates for 5D:
  • - /bin/mount-FULL, /etc/rc.d/rc.update, rc.sysinit
    - /etc/puppyversion, /usr/local/bin/Xdelta3GUI
    - .xdelta3 mimetype and default rox action
    - sqlite-3.6.23.1, /usr/share/alsa
    - PPM excludes and Lighthouse Help Page
-TazOC