Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
efiguy

#226 Post by efiguy »

Hi Tazoc,
- Have a mostly operating (cd boot+sda1) LHP-500c+Mariner. With so much "stuff" in Pprocess, how did you get it SO FAST!!!! -It is "Right There" at the end of a click!!!

-Plus really like the multiple Shell switching, but don't know enough yet to understand which might be better for building a TV viewing system - based on a 640x480 PC-video to NTSC Scan Converter. -Any Suggestions?

- About 9 or so months ago was experimenting with a Puppy (maybe LH-D) that would resize on the fly, which worked OK - except menus became so large at 640x480 that the position of a needed menu selection couldn't be reached as it was off screen. -I notice you have a neat global font size selection, is there any easy way of doing the format resize? It would be OK to stay in 640x480 mode if other programs and menus resized. With the current auto-start features - have not explored changing current screen size of 1024x768, more concerned now with TV streaming.

-By the way, how does one find addresses for the TV stream tuner?
-How can Gxine use the new encryption format that networks are moving towards?? (RTMP)

-Also, the future use would use a dedicated TV streaming machine (Dell Optiplex) with some limitations on clock and ram, is there a chance for paring packages to a minimum for lower ram quantity. Is that something like uninstalling menu items? -Can a newbie who does little inside Puppy accomplish that task?? -What kind of soft/hardware resources are required to remove packages?

-Appreciate your attention to detail, Website- [url]http://www.lhpup.org/download500.htm#SFS[/url] - do hope there might be some screen solutions, Appoligize for all the Questions,

Jay

Experimental PC
Have a frugal install of 490sfs (had to use the Mariner update to get a Gxine library to start the engine)
Gateway W340UA - with LHP 5.00c (co-existing with XP)
Nvidia GE Force 6100 Vesa Force Could use a driver- have 195, 173, and 96 on HD
WIFI RTL 8185 Driver (WIN) 5.1114.917.2009 not working, Not critical
ethernet Nvidia (WIN) 1.00.04.05027 Operating swell
Added Firefox -3.5.6.tar pet DEC 01-17-2009
(Did an about:config and toggled the 2 css "leaks" entrys to false - what were they thinking!?)

tazoc

#227 Post by tazoc »

efiguy wrote:Hi Tazoc,
- Have a mostly operating (cd boot+sda1) LHP-500c+Mariner. With so much "stuff" in Pprocess, how did you get it SO FAST!!!! -It is "Right There" at the end of a click!!!
Because it's based on Puppy/Quirky/Slackpup/Woof.
-Plus really like the multiple Shell switching, but don't know enough yet to understand which might be better for building a TV viewing system - based on a 640x480 PC-video to NTSC Scan Converter. -Any Suggestions?
That depends on your preference--try them and go with what works best for you.
I notice you have a neat global font size selection, is there any easy way of doing the format resize? It would be OK to stay in 640x480 mode if other programs and menus resized. With the current auto-start features - have not explored changing current screen size of 1024x768, more concerned now with TV streaming.
If you are asking for a resolution changer, see Menu | Settings | Wizards | Xorg Wizard | Resolution Changer, or just type xrandrshell in a terminal. Results may vary, and you may prefer to directly edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to specify a particular resolution. Unfortunately some apps are difficult to fit in 640x480, though 800x600 usually works. If an app's window is cut off, hold down the Alt key and drag the window as required. If the menus are cut off I would try JWM or another WM. KDE4's Alternative Plasma Netbook interface might work well on small resolutions, but still needs recent hardware.
-By the way, how does one find addresses for the TV stream tuner?
I'm not familiar with a TV stream tuner, can you be more specific?
-How can Gxine use the new encryption format that networks are moving towards?? (RTMP)
I have no idea about Gxine. I understand VLC has quite a few codecs and formats supported.
-Also, the future use would use a dedicated TV streaming machine (Dell Optiplex) with some limitations on clock and ram, is there a chance for paring packages to a minimum for lower ram quantity. Is that something like uninstalling menu items? -Can a newbie who does little inside Puppy accomplish that task?? -What kind of soft/hardware resources are required to remove packages?
I use Edit-SFS in the Utility menu to manually add/remove files from the main file. You might consider starting with the latest Slackpup as it is easier to build up a puplet than to slim-down an existing one.
Nvidia GE Force 6100 Vesa Force Could use a driver- have 195, 173, and 96 on HD
I would try the NVIDIA 195. If it doesn't work please type report-video at the command line before switching back to vesa or nv and attach /tmp/root/report-video-full.gz
Thanks,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

efiguy

Lighthouse Pup 5.00 C 231M Xorg-xserver 1.7.7

#228 Post by efiguy »

Thank you Tazoc,

The resolution changer operated Perfectly, I'm sure that by using global font size that a menu compromise will be found, but thanks for the Tip for using the ALT key.
Also Thanks for the links and advice. - Probably use LH as is, works so well. -But someday need to learn how to do some of the "behind the scenes" work just to appreciate and understand Puppy construction even more.

Again thank You, a swell product
Jay

8-bit

#229 Post by 8-bit »

I tried out the rc.shutdown replacement script you sent me.
Glory be. It works fine with my spupsave.2fs reporting clean when doing an e2fsck.

The file gets placed in /etc/rc.d directory and replaces the original one.
I am attaching it for others that may want to try it.
Attachments
rc.shutdown.tar.gz
Replacement script for clean shutdown.
Put in /etc/rc.d directory, run a file system check on the unmounted spupsave file and then reboot.
(15.64 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

tazoc

OxygenOffice Professional 3.2.1

#230 Post by tazoc »

@All,
I've built an SFS of OOOP - OxygenOffice Professional 3.2.1. It is very large at 425M and JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is not included. (I anticipate more frequent updates to JRE and JRE is already included in Mariner.) I haven't used the standard OpenOffice 3.2 enough to decide whether OxygenOfficePro is much better or just much bigger...

I'm disappointed that the online update feature responds with "Checking for an update failed" and the OOoWikipedia macro is broken (it was written for OOo 2.) I think the best part about OxygenOffice is the extra fonts, templates--and the LanguageTool extension I pre-installed so that you don't have to manually download and add with the extension manager. But I could probably do the same for LT with the standard OpenOffice SFS.

The OOOP site is http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooop and a rather outdated home at http://www.oxygenofficepro.com

If there is any interest in OOOP I will upload this so you can try it. If not I will try adding LanguageTool and a few Lighthouse tweaks to a future OpenOffice release.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

Re: OxygenOffice Professional 3.2.1

#231 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc wrote: If there is any interest in OOOP I will upload this so you can try it. If not I will try adding LanguageTool and a few Lighthouse tweaks to a future OpenOffice release.
-TazOC
Definitely interested, but I don't know about it's advantages over OOO.

Thanks,
Jim

Barburo

Web Cams + wifi

#232 Post by Barburo »

Hi TazOC,
I just frugally installed Lucid Puppy 5.03 and I see a webcam app is included called LUVCview by Michel Xhaard. It's basic but it works for my set up.
Any chance you could take a look and see if it is compatible with LHP? So far I have not been able to make my webcam work in LHP with Mplayer, VLC or any of the other media programs.

I still have a weird problem with getting connected the way I like to connect to wifi. I have a connect script that, when run from a terminal, always connects me. However, when I add the same script to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local I find that it runs correctly maybe one in ten times (i.e. the sidebar shows me connected to wlan0 after the screen comes up after booting). If I look in /var/log/messages I see that the connection is established OK but it subsequently reports an error that "DHCP is already running" when it tries for a lease and then it disconnects. When it does work there's no such message.

You advised me earlier in this thread to add a line to my connect script that stops any dhcp process (which I did) but I have found that it doesn't solve my problem.

My reason for using a script is that I could not get the session to perpetuate using the wizard. I had to run the wizard each time I logged on so I set up the script. Running it after booting up is not difficult as the command is stored and an up arrow and enter runs the script each time but it's frustrating not being able to work out why it fails from rc.local.

I've tried tracing through where the init process could possibly be getting information about dhcp, I've followed rc.network (as far as I can make sense of it) but I cannot discover any process that does this. Could it be a timing issue? As I mentioned occasionally there will be no problem but I cannot see any difference when it does execute correctly.

The only other thing I can think of is that when I set up this version of LHP first, I used the network wizard that asks you if you want to keep these settings for the next logon. I had clicked "Yes" before and I assume that stores information somewhere (anyone know exactly what it does?) so that Puppy can attempt to wi-fi connect you next boot. Plus I've searched the forum and there's some references to folders and files (previous versions of puppy) that I don't see. Those that I have been able to find (in var/lib and etc) I have deleted but problem doesn't go away.

B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

CLAM01

Oxygen Office

#233 Post by CLAM01 »

Hi TazOC,
I'll try out OOOP if you provide an sfs. I do quite a bit of office application, using in a task instead of development environment.
I suspect that Oxy-Office is mostly a bulked up Open Office, with templates and clipart and such included, probably most grabbed from the ooo repositories .
The heart of all of what is now all OO (Open Office, Oracle Office, Oxygen Office) is Open Office. Oracle Office, the newest, is the new name for Sun's proprietary version that was Star Office. Releasing Star Office to open source was a smart move by Sun. The open source Open Office carries development ahead of Sun, for which the proprietary version that's part of Sun's applications suite, and that people pay for, is always behind the free ooo version, which it from time to time catches up with by incorporating the free developments.
My guess is that Oxygen is, and will be, doing the same thing, depending on the Open Office open development community for development and incorporating the developments.

tazoc

Re: Web Cams + wifi

#234 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:Hi TazOC,
I just frugally installed Lucid Puppy 5.03 and I see a webcam app is included called LUVCview by Michel Xhaard. It's basic but it works for my set up.
Any chance you could take a look and see if it is compatible with LHP? So far I have not been able to make my webcam work in LHP with Mplayer, VLC or any of the other media programs.
Hi Barburo,
I will have a look at LUVCview. I haven't been able to get my webcam to work in LHP.
I still have a weird problem with getting connected the way I like to connect to wifi. I have a connect script that, when run from a terminal, always connects me. However, when I add the same script to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local I find that it runs correctly maybe one in ten times (i.e. the sidebar shows me connected to wlan0 after the screen comes up after booting). If I look in /var/log/messages I see that the connection is established OK but it subsequently reports an error that "DHCP is already running" when it tries for a lease and then it disconnects. When it does work there's no such message.
I studied the network connection scripts and couldn't find the reason why the wireless WEP settings seem to be forgotten on reboot. So the best workaround I have is to adapt your script to autorun at login (PET attached) and retry interactively if the first attempt fails. The script can be adjusted for startup delay and retry delay as desired. So far it works for me on the first try after rebooting ~60% of the time and the retry ~40%. If you're not in range of your access point, move the mouse pointer over the 'retry in 20 sec' splash to cancel the connection.
Hope it helps,
TazOC
Attachments
LHP_ConnectWireless-0.1.pet
WEP connection workaround for LHP 5.00 C
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

Barburo

Wireless pet

#235 Post by Barburo »

Thanks Taz,
It worked for me! I never thought to try symlinking to startup.
Nice implementation with the "Connecting to Wireless" and "Wireless Connected" messages. I can't tell whether it needed to do any retries but I'll keep it in there and report anything I find. Thanks again for your reponse on this.
B.

tazoc

OxygenOffice Professional 3.2.1

#236 Post by tazoc »

CLAM01,
Thanks for the information about Oxygen Office. Here is the SFS:
OxygenOfficePro-3.2.1.sfs 425M md5.txt

It has an optional Quickstarter trayicon. To enable, move OpenOfficeTray from /Startup/DisabledItems into /Startup.

Barburo,
I'm glad that ConnectWireless is connecting! :) I will include the script and symlinks in DisabledItems for the next release.
-TazOC

Q5sys

#237 Post by Q5sys »

Ive had no luck with TrueCrypt 7 as of yet... running into a few problems that im trying to work around... i'll eventually figure it out. :P

tazoc

TC7

#238 Post by tazoc »

Hi Q5sys,
Don't sweat it, I just found a Slackware package of TC7 that works fine and plan to include it in the next Mariner. Just needed fuse-2.8.1-i486-1. It doesn't need the mount-FULL-puppy and wrapper script, it just works fine with the default mount-FULL. The compile, or slackbuild as they call it has a patch or two and some tricks I don't quite understand at http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/slac ... /truecrypt truecrypt.SlackBuild in the build directory. The binary is in the /pkg/13.1 directory.
Thanks for your time and effort,
TazOC

Jim1911

#239 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TazOC,

Thanks for the OxygenOffice sfs, works fine, although I haven't used it enough to discern differences between it and OpenOffice. I'm still amazed at how fast and stable the new KDE4.4 is even with all the special effects. Now I hardly ever boot into Kubuntu since your implementation is better and faster.

Incidently there is a minor update to Bibletime.

Cheers,
Jim :D

Barburo

WirelessConnection

#240 Post by Barburo »

WirelessConnect Script:

It works. I've seen the re-try message a couple of times.
The placement of the sky-blue messages (Connecting and Connected) at the bottom interferes a bit with wbar on my screen. (I need to right mouse click to get wbar to reset). As the script is symlinked to startup it runs every time you reload X or change window managers, but I have not seen any failures when it runs like this, and it only takes a a second or two.

I decided to do a test with a new save file and discovered I can get wifi connected consistently through a script in rc.local if I do not run the connection wizard and answer "yes" to "Save for next boot?"

I thought that there may be something "left over" from the wizard that causes this. I booted 5c using pfix=ram and made a new save file called test. I did not run the wizard to connect to wifi, only my original script, which connected OK. I added the script to to rc.local, and rebooted several times - no problem getting wi-fi connected. I switched window managers and still no problems on boot. I decided to use your pet on my test save file, so I ran the wizard to get the parameters (I really didn't need to do this but I was following the instructions). I removed my original script and added ConnectWireless to startup, and found that sometimes it works first try and sometimes it doesn't, hence my conclusion.

So there are a couple of options but I guess the important thing is don't run the wizard if you intend using a connection script.

B.

Q5sys

#241 Post by Q5sys »

Error post.
Last edited by Q5sys on Tue 27 Jul 2010, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

Q5sys

#242 Post by Q5sys »

TazOC,
Are you aware of anyway off hand to increase the volume above what alsamixer will do? For some reason in v5, everything seems like its volume is about half of what it was with v4.43. Even if I max everything out in alsamixer, or zmixer, and any audio programs im running, the sound is still rather quiet.
Wasnt sure if there was some alsa trick that worked as a software amplifier.

Also... i can no longer mount Data DVDs. :(

tazoc

#243 Post by tazoc »

Jim1911 wrote:... there is a minor update to Bibletime.
Hi Jim,
Thank you, glad to hear from you about KDE, and OxygenOffice Pro.
Here's an updated BibleTime:
Bibletime-2.7.2a.sfs | md5.txt
Barburo wrote:WirelessConnect Script:

It works. I've seen the re-try message a couple of times.
The placement of the sky-blue messages (Connecting and Connected) at the bottom interferes a bit with wbar on my screen. (I need to right mouse click to get wbar to reset).
Yes, I'm adjusting the gtk-dialog-splash placement away from the top and bottom of screen for the next release.
...don't run the wizard if you intend using a connection script.
That's helpful, why don't we try re-naming /etc/network-wizard/wireless/profiles/<MAC ADDRESS>.WEP.conf as that file is created when answering yes to save wireless settings at end of Network Wizard.
[Edit: That didn't work, need to rename the file in /etc/network-wizard/network/interfaces/ that corresponds to the wireless interface (contains: IS_WIRELESS='yes'. Then I think ConnectWireless or your script can be executed from /etc/rc.d/rc.local.]
Q5sys wrote:TazOC,
Are you aware of anyway off hand to increase the volume above what alsamixer will do? For some reason in v5, everything seems like its volume is about half of what it was with v4.43.
Try sgmixer in a terminal and make sure PCM is maxed, or exit X to CL and run alsaconf. I'm updating alsa for next release and sGmixer will be in the menus.
Also... i can no longer mount Data DVDs. :(
Make sure /bin/mount-FULL is symlinked to /bin/mount-FULL-slackware and that /bin/mount is a 5854 Byte script. Just tried a Data DVD here and pmount works fine. What is the o/p from:

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/sr0
TazOC
Last edited by tazoc on Wed 28 Jul 2010, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#244 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TazOC.

Wow, that was quick on Bibletime update. Thanks for your superb 5c with it's fine software selection.

Cheers,
Jim :D

Barburo

ext4 resize

#245 Post by Barburo »

I just bought a recycled twin processor P4 system from my local Free-Geek (where I volunteer a few hours now and again) and the machine comes with Ubuntu 10.4 pre-installed. No problems firing up Ubuntu (actually it's very quick).

It has a 120Gig Sata HD and I want to set it up for my wife to replace her aging desktop.
Naturally I installed LHP 5C from the CD - no problems - it recognized the on-board Radeon Express 200 graphics card - and I was able to create a save file. I ran gparted which reported a large 110 gig sda1 ext4 partition which Ubuntu is loaded on, and a small swap partition (as an extended partition within an ext2 partition).

My wife works in a Windows environment so I want to resize the ext4 partition, create an NTFS windows partition and load XP, then use puppy to install grub to control which OS is booted. I have done this successfully before. I booted again from CD with pfix=ram to get an environment where I could unmount sda1 so I could resize it.
I ran gparted but it won't let me resize the ext4 partition - the "resize" option is greyed out. The only option is delete which I don't want to do as I would like to preserve the Ubuntu installation if I can.

I unmounted the swap partition and checked that I would be able to resize or delete it. The version of gparted is 5.1 and I googled the problem - Ubuntu forums report difficulties with resizing NTFS partitions but say that 5.1 should be able to resize ext4 without problems. I checked this forum but apart from general comments about ext4 being faster I could find no references to any problems resizing ext4.

I guess I could copy the Ubuntu installation onto a USB drive, delete, repartition and go from there but I'm not sure if the Ubuntu installation would work after the files get copied back.
Any ideas anybody?
B.