Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

NVIDIA-173 pet for LHP; sensors-detect; GParted; GRUB

#166 Post by tazoc »

charbaby66 wrote:You are very quick on the reply and the answer my friend! the new pet worked perfectly 1st try
Thank you for testing NVIDIA-173.14.25-k2.6.33.2.pet and posting the video-report. There were no errors in the X log. I will add it to the web site along with an NVIDIA-96 pet.
set athcool on, athcool stat tells me :
VIA KT400[A]/KT600 (1106 3189) found
'Disconnect when STPGNT Detected' bit is enabled.
'HALT Command Detection' bit is enabled.

not sure if working
Yes, that indicates it is active.
can see cpu load, ram usage, disk space; can't see computer temp, swap usage,fan speed, ACPI in most of the widgets or gadgets - defaults ones used, others tried - conky, pwidgets KDE thingies etc .. all the same before or after trying athcool
Try sensors-detect in a terminal and follow the prompts. If your hardware has any temp/fan sensors it should find them and list the lines to add to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to load the necessary modules during boot. If sensors were detected and the necessary modules are loaded you can type sensors in a terminal for current readings. If that works, then close and restart gKrellM and enable the sensors in gKrellM configuration.
think i am missing something somewhere that affects the system not knowing everything about my computer? is there a command to add or remove from my menu.list? (its pretty easy for a noob to miss a simple setting to boot with that can make things work right) mine is based on your command line
That's true GRUB is not especially user-friendly. It's a good idea to backup your menu.lst before making changes. My setup has LHP 5.00 boot files in /mnt/home/lhp500 and here is my menu.lst entry:

Code: Select all

title Lighthouse Linux 5.00 (frugal on sda8)
root (hd0,7)
kernel /lhp500/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda8 psubdir=lhp500 loglevel=3 xforcevesa nomodeset pfix=fsck
initrd /lhp500/initrd.gz
one thing i noticed re cpu freq tool , is that the acpi_generic modules and some others listed are not in boot manager at all but others are, arent they all to be there by default? loaded if desired?
Some kernel modules are loaded automatically by the kernel and others in various scripts. Loading all modules could create conflicts, especially with video drivers. There's no need to load the freq scaling modules if none are compatible with your hardware. Frequency scaling is a relatively new feature, first introduced in some mobile processors and later in desktops.
so far everything else seems to be ok , except the rox filer bug (sure makes renaming a file an event! --- i will apply the fix i saw somewhere soon) and my wireless (using rt73) doesnt always keep its settings but i just run the connect wizard if needed.. im still learning here, and going to find forum fixes for that too)
Try editing /usr/loca/bin/rox

#!/bin/sh
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true
exec /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun "$@"
EDIT: my swap issue seems to be that it was partitioned with luci208 209 or 210 (been testing too many!) and for some reason i am not able to delete and recreate the partition correctly in LHP - remains unallocated and unformatted even after reboot, so fixed partition in luci210 to have it work in LHP i need to manually activate swapon in Gparted or on the command line after every reboot (frugal install or ram) swapon not saved in pupfile swap not loaded on reboot.
Best to boot from Lighthouse CD, entering ram at the boot menu prior to running GParted, otherwise some partitions cannot be unmounted. Then in GParted right-click and unmount all partitions, including swap. Then you should be able to create/format/resize as needed. Just be careful with ntfs partitions. If Windows is installed, the Windows boot partition must be at or near the beginning of the drive and resized with Windows Disk Management, not GParted.

If a Linux-swap partition is present, but not automatically enabled at boot, add/modify a swap entry in /etc/fstab

/dev/sda6        swap             swap        defaults         0   0
substituting /dev/sda6 with your Linux-swap partition. Or add swapon /dev/sda6 to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

tazoc

#167 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:Hi TazOC,
I just tried Fatdog64 Final and found it super-fast on this notebook (that was built for WIndows7 64 bit). Apps like Firefox were also much quicker in opening and operation, which led me to ponder the whole 64-bit option. Fatdog uses Openbox as the WM with JWM as an alternative, but of course it lacks all of the options and customizations that you've built into LHPup (which for me keeps LHPup at the top of the Puppy world!) Not sure how they went about it, but my Intel integrated chip-set was auto detected and correct screen resolution set up on first boot. I was wondering if you had taken a look at it and whether you have any plans for 64bit version of LHPup any time soon.
Hi Barburo,
I haven't tried Fatdog64 yet myself. It sounds like Kirk and jamesbond have done a great job with it. I don't want to leave out the 32-bit machines, including some of my own, and compiling both 32-bit and 64-bit apps would be time-consuming at best. I suppose it will be necessary at some point in the future; I will probably wait until Barry begins to move in that direction.
the version of Xine in Fatdog (looked a bit different) was able to play some old .wmv and .mpg vid files that previously only muppyplayer was able to
I have not compiled Xine myself; could be that is needed or maybe some codecs are missing.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

tazoc

NVIDIA-96 Pet; Voyager, Compiz-Fusion SFS

#168 Post by tazoc »

For Lighthouse Pup 5.00 C or later

NVIDIA-96.43.16-k2.6.33.2-xserver-1.7.7.pet 14M md5.txt Proprietary display driver, supported product list attached below.

Voyager SFS: Xscreensavers 5.11, rss-glx_0.9.1 Really Slick Screensavers, extra games and backgrounds (depends on Mariner)

Compiz-Fusion SFS: Updated to CompizFusion-0.7.9-1f. C-F eye candy and Emerald window decorator
(compatible display adapter and 3D acceleration required, might need ATI/NVIDIA proprietary drivers)

Bibletime-2.7-1a.sfs 39M
-TazOC
Attachments
NVIDIA-96_Supported.gz
(302 Bytes) Downloaded 785 times

charbaby66

Re: NVIDIA-173 pet for LHP; sensors-detect; GParted; GRUB

#169 Post by charbaby66 »

tazoc wrote: Thank you for testing NVIDIA-173.14.25-k2.6.33.2.pet and posting the video-report. There were no errors in the X log. I will add it to the web site along with an NVIDIA-96 pet.
Good :) nice to have the 173 series pet available in a few different derivatives now. LOL I have 3 other AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1768Mhz w NVidia 5200Fx's obtained from my work upgrading 5 years ago > LHP (even fully loaded) flies
on here esp. compared to XP on its sister. They were all gathering dust until lately. Even if I scavenge some ram from it I bet it will still be faster :)
Try sensors-detect in a terminal and follow the prompts. If your hardware has any temp/fan sensors it should find them and list the lines to add to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to load the necessary modules during boot. If sensors were detected and the necessary modules are loaded you can type sensors in a terminal for current readings. If that works, then close and restart gKrellM and enable the sensors in gKrellM configuration.
took me awhile to realize I should just say no ;)

Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no):
to see this

To load everything that is needed, add this to one of the system initialization scripts (e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local):

#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
modprobe it87
modprobe lm90
/usr/bin/sensors -s
#----cut here---- 
dont say default -yes or you get

Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/init.d/lm_sensors
for initialization at boot time.
You should now start the lm_sensors service to load the required
kernel modules. 
I should?! spent too long lost in file system chasing prog/init/lm_sensors.init couldn't find it -LOL darn noob me! tried to fake my way loaded needed modules manually, but couldnt start them in gKrellM - however since I finally got it right-can *see* it's now working beautifully - temps 5-9C cooler @ at least (@27-36C), fan & sensors now in gKrellM and i feel much smarter! swap, rox fixed too, thx
tazoc wrote: here is my menu.lst entry:

title Lighthouse Linux 5.00 (frugal on sda8)
root (hd0,7)
kernel /lhp500/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda8 psubdir=lhp500 loglevel=3 xforcevesa nomodeset pfix=fsck
initrd /lhp500/initrd.gz

charbaby wrote:(its pretty easy for a noob to miss a simple setting to boot with that can make things work right) mine is based on your command
i have added the pdev1= glad i was ok throwing pfix=fsck in there was winging it :) is nosmp needed for LHP? i #'ed out the windows boot info -since i have a fat32 partition but no windows on here.

I understand that due to SFSes it's frugal not full for LHP. Since I was fixing swap anyway I gave LHP its own ext3 partition, and trying a 3fs pupsave now, and left the rest of the kennel on the other partition in ext2, made a fat32 for networking/storage, and the swap. Can I symlink puppys on sda1 to compatible SFSes on sda2, or will bootloader detect them or do i need to copy em to each?

Soon I will attempt to network with various puppies incl LHP on 3 systems, XP/dual on one(i havent mastered wine entirely), and a smaller puppy/98dual
on my old clunker 64mb laptop

below is my updated menu.lst, and a proposed choice to boot LHP from ram in frugal, is it safe to do it this way? - i also noticed -when i copied my spupsave file and have both in /lhp it will give me a choice to use 0. none 1. spupsaveA 2.spupsaveB. Is choosing 0 then equal to booting from cd with pfix=ram or will my fix work or must I always boot from a cd for that?

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Lighthouse Pup 490 frugal on sda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /lhp/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda2 psubdir=lhp xforcevesa nomodeset nmi_watchdog=0 loglevel=3 pfix=fsck
initrd /lhp/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends

#potential new code here

title Lighthouse Pup 490 ram on sda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /lhp/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda2 psubdir=lhp nmi_watchdog=0 xforcevesa nomodeset loglevel=7 pfix=ram,fsck
initrd /lhp/initrd.gz

#potential new code ends

title Puppy Linux 210 frugal in sda1 dir luci210
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /luci210/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=luci210 nosmp
initrd /luci210/initrd.gz
once again, thank you 4 the help- i didnt know the utilities you told me about (except gKrellM) wouldn't have had a clue either! Since my fav PIII computer just overheated and died w/o warning (yup was 5years old and had XP) I am a bit paranoid i guess, and wanted to be able to rest easier.I was going to try acpitools if compatible and not for laptop only, didnt get that far - you had all
the answers here for me :)

Barburo

#170 Post by Barburo »

Thanks for new version of Compiz -Fuzion - I'm using it with LXDE.
One oddity is that CF treats the LXDE panel as a separate process that appears as "panel" on the main bar. Sort of reports on itself. Simply restarting X doesn't clear it, but right click on "panel" and "close" wipes out the bar. Then restarting X gets it back again. Doesn't happen consistently. B.
Attachments
image.gif
(11.46 KiB) Downloaded 1130 times
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

Barburo

#171 Post by Barburo »

... also get this error with Voyager's screen saver each time a new saver is selected. Came up for first run of Voyager. Directory exists and file has universal read/write permissions. Operator error or ? B.
Attachments
image.gif
(15.01 KiB) Downloaded 2950 times
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

tazoc

#172 Post by tazoc »

Hi charbaby,
When I ran sensors-detect just hitting Enter I got

Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (yes/NO): 
To load everything that is needed, add this to one of the system
initialization scripts (e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local):

#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
modprobe it87
/usr/bin/sensors -s
#----cut here----
Then I ran it again and typed 'yes' and got the prompt about 'prog/init/lm_sensors.init'... and also couldn't find it anywhere. Strange! :?

Your updated menu.lst looks OK. Keep in mind if you boot with GRUB, you're booting from the disk where GRUB is installed and even if you use pfix=ram you still won't be able to unmount the partition that LHP boots from--not good if you need to run GParted, but otherwise OK. So for GParted or if GRUB gives an error, I still recommend booting from the CD with ram or puppy pfix=ram. Otherwise option 0-none in the pupsave dialog and pfix=ram in GRUB will both boot clean w/o the pupsave. I don't think that nosmp is needed, works fine w/o for me afaik.

Symlinking an SFS on another partition may not work as the other partition may not be mounted early in the boot process, when the add-on is layered into the file system. I can't say for sure as I haven't tried.

For recent kernels as in LHP 5.00 I use ext4 for the partition that LHP boots from. This is best done when first creating the partition in GParted. Then ext4 can use all of it's new features. It is much faster than ext3, especially when file system checking (fsck or e2fsck) the file system. The pupsave will still be ext3 though.

I couldn't get SAMBA or pnethood to see another LHP machine on the network, but found p300 worked just fine as long as Mariner (p300 needs Java) is loaded. If clicking on p300.jar doesn't work, open a terminal in the directory where it's at and type java -jar p300.jar or change the default Run action in ROX to java -jar "$@"

Hi Barburo,
Xscreensaver is not run as root, so If you're logged in as root, xscreensaver and xscreensaver-demo should be running as user spot. Open Xscreensaver Preferences and verify that in qps process manager. The scripts in /usr/local/bin/ that run the daemon and Preferences as user spot are xscreensaver-daemon-LHP and xscreensaver-demo-LHP.

Also check the ownership of /home/spot/.xscreensaver. If it's not Owner spot, Group spot, do a chown:

bash-4.1# ls -al /home/spot/.xscreensaver
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 8891 2010-07-13 10:34 /home/spot/.xscreensaver
<root> ~
bash-4.1# chown spot:spot /home/spot/.xscreensaver 
<root> ~
bash-4.1# ls -al /home/spot/.xscreensaver
-rw-rw-rw- 1 spot spot 8891 2010-07-13 10:34 /home/spot/.xscreensaver
I will do some more testing here to see if I can reproduce and prevent the error.
-TazOC

Q5sys

new intel driver on its way

#173 Post by Q5sys »

TazOC,
I've got the newer Intel Driver along with Clutter and Cairo all compiled and working. Just want to see if any other issues crop up before I upload it for everyone.
I'll be away from that computer for the next two days or so; so probably Fri or Sat will be when I upload it and make a post here about it. :)

8-bit

#174 Post by 8-bit »

I downloaded the full version with the extra SFS files and the checksum matched.
When I try to run streamtuner, no selections are displayed in the Shoutcast window and also a missing script to play audio with streamtuner seems to be missing.
I had to go through modifications to the menu.lst entry on my frugal install to get past a black screen and an unresponsive computer.
I then selected NV as a driver, but internet video played slow motion in full screen mode. So I then installed a previously downloaded Nvidia pet and that took care of the slow video in full screen mode.
CUPS printer setup found my printers and they installed fine.
Before I go much further though, I will have to remove some of the other frugal installs of puppy on the dedicated 40 gig partition.
I now have about 14 different versions of Puppy on that partition a frugal installs.
Overall, pretty good so far other than the streamtuner problems.
And streamtuner worked fine in Puppy 5.00 official.

tazoc

Shoutcast in streamtuner

#175 Post by tazoc »

8-bit wrote:I downloaded the full version with the extra SFS files and the checksum matched.
When I try to run streamtuner, no selections are displayed in the Shoutcast window and also a missing script to play audio with streamtuner seems to be missing.
Overall, pretty good so far other than the streamtuner problems.
And streamtuner worked fine in Puppy 5.00 official.
Hi 8-bit,
Thanks for trying Lighthouse and for your feedback. Yes, I also have no Shoutcast in streamtuner. Shoutcast rolled out a new website and backend on ~June 29, called 'Shoutcast 2.0' and they disabled their classic interface. I will replace the missing streamtuner2gxine script and will try to get it working with Shoutcast as well.

I just fired up Lucid Puppy 5.01 and couldn't find streamtuner. Does it still work for you in Puppy 5.00? I couldn't find it in Quickpet. Did you find streamtuner there or in PPM?
8-bit wrote:I had to go through modifications to the menu.lst entry on my frugal install to get past a black screen and an unresponsive computer.
Booting from the CD uses xforcevesa nomodeset to avoid the graphics problems you noted. This is explained at the link How to configure KMS - Kernel ModeSetting graphics configuration, right above the download links for Lighthouse. Maybe I could place a note there to suggest visiting that link before booting Lighthouse with GRUB!
Thanks again,
TazOC

8-bit

#176 Post by 8-bit »

As to streamtuner, I used streamtuner-0.99.99.pet and also installed streamripper-1.63.5 in Puppy 5.00 official.
So far, that version works with shoutcast.
Also, one does not need a script to direct the stream to gxine or mplayer. All that is required is to edit the streamtuner configuration file to use the correct player.

ICPUG

#177 Post by ICPUG »

I just want to flag this up.

Synaptics Touchad click and scroll problems

I have two independent frugals of 5.0.0C set up on my laptop with Intel 855 graphics. Both use kernel parameter i915.modeset=1.

One frugal has Xorg automatically configure. With this version the touchpad will generate a click by tapping. However, you cannot scroll vertically by stroking the touchpad on the right side.

The other frugal I have manually chosen the intel driver during first boot. With this one the touchpad will not generate a click by tapping despite setting the maxtaptime to 220 in xorg.conf.

Needless to say in Puppy 4.3.1 the touchpad clicked and scrolled OK.

DaveS had some touchpad problems (not the same) with Lucid that have apparently been solved with the latest alpha (lucid211). Not sure what they are doing different. DaveS original workaround to his problem was not available to me in Lighthouse. The file .flsynclient was not there. Work is hampered by not knowing how Xorg works when it doesn't use an xorg.conf!

I would like to solve this problem!

pemasu

#178 Post by pemasu »

Touchpad. Flsynclient has worked fine for me. I have installed it to LHP and it has worked as it should when adjusting touchpad behavior.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48011

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

LH 500C on Medion MD8818

#179 Post by Béèm »

I tried LH 500C now on my Medion MD8818 desktop. Ram 1GB, processors 2 (1.6GHz each), HDD 320GB sata. Nvidia GeForce 7650

With pfix=ram I got messages do_IRQ: 0.107 No irq handler for vector (irq-1)
But where I should have got the screen to select the keyboard I got a black screen.
Only the big power off button was active.

I added acpi-of then.

This time I got the keyb selection screen, but when I came to the X configuration and selected xorgwizard, I got a black screen again and had to hit the big power off button.

So again pfix=ram and acpi=off, but in X config did select the Nvidia entry and selected nv. I came to the desktop then.

I would like to know where this IRQ error comes from, forcing me to run with acpi=off. I prefer full functionality of acpi for standby/hibernating/proper power off etc...

Htop indicates the two processors are active. Nice.

Needles to say, I have the same issue with accented characters in wine.

Oh I almost forgot.
I have a strange problem with the 'hello' when coming to the desktop.
The sound repeats rapidly but in fractions. First the H then E etc... till after a while the sound stops.
The same at shutdown with the goodbye.

But a flv video or mp4 video play ok with sound.
However a video from youtube plays, but without sound.
Last edited by Béèm on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:07, edited 2 times in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

smokey01

#180 Post by smokey01 »

8-bit wrote:As to streamtuner, I used streamtuner-0.99.99.pet and also installed streamripper-1.63.5 in Puppy 5.00 official.
So far, that version works with shoutcast.
Also, one does not need a script to direct the stream to gxine or mplayer. All that is required is to edit the streamtuner configuration file to use the correct player.
Streamtuner no longer finds shoutcast here with lupu-5.00.

I deleted the tab now am having trouble getting it to work again. I installed VLC and shoutcast works fine with it.

tazoc

Re: LH 500C on Medion MD8818

#181 Post by tazoc »

Béèm wrote:I tried LH 500C now on my Medion MD8818 desktop. Ram 1GB, processors 2 (1.6GHz each), HDD 320GB sata. Nvidia GeForce 7650

With pfix=ram I got messages do_IRQ: 0.107 No irq handler for vector (irq-1)
But where I should have got the screen to select the keyboard I got a black screen.
Only the big power off button was active.

I added acpi-of then.
When booting from the CD you can type ram or puppy pfix=ram (one is a shortcut for the other). When booting from a GRUB bootloader, please add xforcevesa nomodeset to the kernel line. If and only if these fail, then add pci=noacpi or noapic or acpi=off or acpi=force, again with xforcevesa nomodeset, which is necessary to disable KMS for some video adapters in Xorg-xserver 1.7.7 and k2.6.33.2. xforcevesa does not actually force Vesa in Xorg, it basically tells KMS keep away!
This time I got the keyb selection screen, but when I came to the X configuration and selected xorgwizard, I got a black screen again and had to hit the big power off button.

So again pfix=ram and acpi=off, but in X config did select the Nvidia entry and selected nv. I came to the desktop then.

I would like to know where this IRQ error comes from, forcing me to run with acpi=off. I prefer full functionality of acpi for standby/hibernating/proper power off etc....
If xforcevesa nomodeset is not enough and you do indeed need the acpi or apic kernel options, please google for more information as that is beyond my expertise, and none of my hardware needs it so I cannot experiment. You might also consider trying some BIOS settings, such as toggling the plug and play OS setting, if your BIOS setup has one.
Htop indicates the two processors are active. Nice.

Needles to say, I have the same issue with accented characters in wine.
Did you try my PET in response to your earlier post on this bug? I'm putting together a service pack for 5.00C which includes the fix.
Oh I almost forgot.
I have a strange problem with the 'hello' when coming to the desktop.
The sound repeats rapidly but in fractions. First the H then E etc... till after a while the sound stops.
The same at shutdown with the goodbye.

But a flv video or mp4 video play ok with sound.
However a video from youtube plays, but without sound.
Hmm, not sure about that, could acpi=off be related? Or maybe a conflict between the audio and video drivers? Maybe this machine just isn't compatible with LHP 5.00C. There are so many combinations of hardware, software and kernel out there, it's hard to support all of them!
-TazOC

tazoc

Update 1 for LHP 5.00 C

#182 Post by tazoc »

A service pack PET for Lighthouse Pup 5.00 C is attached to the end of this post. It includes the following:

- CUPS Windows Printer via Samba bugfix (thanks to drblock2)

- Google Chrome wouldn't run as a normal user; /dev/shm permissions updated in /etc/rc.d/pup-dip

- Network_tray update (thanks to Barry K)

- Pnethood WinXP share password bugfix (thanks to Shinobar & drblock2)

- Qps bugfix (thanks to Barburo) qps is a process manager for Mariner or KDE

- ROX-Filer focus bugfix (thanks to drblock2)

- Wine keyboard layout bugfix (thanks to Béèm)

- Xscreensaver bugfix for Voyager (thanks to Barburo)

Install to LHP 5.00 C anytime, then restart X.
-TazOC

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

accented characters i wine

#183 Post by Béèm »

tazoc wrote:Did you try my PET in response to your earlier post on this bug? I'm putting together a service pack for 5.00C which includes the fix
I am sorry, tazoc, but somehow I missed that reply.

But I applied the service pack on my laptop.

Thank you, for applying a fix.
Happily typing accented characters now in wine also.

P.S. Will go back to the desktop later on and apply your advice.
Time savers:

Béèm

LH 500C on Medion MD8818

#184 Post by Béèm »

tazoc wrote:When booting from the CD you can type ram or puppy pfix=ram (one is a shortcut for the other). When booting from a GRUB bootloader, please add xforcevesa nomodeset to the kernel line. If and only if these fail, then add pci=noacpi or noapic or acpi=off or acpi=force, again with xforcevesa nomodeset, which is necessary to disable KMS for some video adapters in Xorg-xserver 1.7.7 and k2.6.33.2. xforcevesa does not actually force Vesa in Xorg, it basically tells KMS keep away!
With xforcevesa nomodeset pci=noacpi I don't have that do_IRQ message anymore.

So I don't have acpi=off now, but that sound problem on hello and goodbye is still there.
Where could I disable this (prevent from running this hello and goodbye)?

And as expected, the wine patch took care of the accented characters on the Medion desktop as well.
Time savers:

tazoc

broken login sound workaround

#185 Post by tazoc »

Hi Béèm,
You might try this first. Copy and paste this into a terminal:

cd /usr/local/bin
mv wavplay wavplay.save
ln -sn /usr/share/mplayer-bin wavplay
That switches the wave audio player wavplay to mplayer (no gui). Then restart X to see if the login sound is normal.

If not, disable the login/logout sounds by renaming the symlinks:

cd /usr/share/audio
mv login.wav login.wav.save
mv logout.wav logout.wav.save
Hope that helps,
TazOC