What is SVN\Git?
50%

Total votes: 8

Saturn

SVN\GIT Offering to community

#1 Post by Saturn »

Hello all,

I rarely post on this forum unless i really have something to say

And in this case , I feel I do need to ask a urgent question to the community in reponse to a suggestion\request by lobster in one of the puppy development threads

The question is:

Does Puppy need a central place for the developers to meet , code/store and discuss development for future versions e.g. puppy linux 6.0?

If you guys do need it as lobster suggests, please leave your input\replies below and CLEARLY STATE THE REASON WHY AND WHY NOT THE COMMUNITY NEEDS IT.

If we do need it, I will considering paying for one

Thanks

And oh by the way this will be in a few months as I am in the process of moving to different location...

so ya sorry, but that aside , the best optimistic outlook for this is that if I can not find anyone to manage the replies, e.g. wolf_pup which allready co admins my mirror, I will try to get on here at least once a week but i cannot promise anything

Ok , once again, Thanks guys and i am looking towards seeing your inputs!

Have a Great day\Evening!

raffy

wolf pup

#2 Post by raffy »

Great offer!

Wolf pup has been contributing to Puppy Linux for some time, so he will be in a good position to render an opinion on this proposal. Plus, as Saturn says, wolf pup will be the guy to administer any such facility.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Saturn

#3 Post by Saturn »

Plus he co-adminsters my file mirror and MAY have some unique packages on there

But until I can afford a dedicated server with (how much bandwith? five terabytes a month?)

I will have to restrain it to the average 10+ gb a day it's currently using
even tho it is a uncapped account, they mentioned " within reasonable limits"

so ya i MAY be able to afford a dedicated server but it's the bandwith issue that is holding me back

I'll figure this out later when I have more income and don't have to worry about paying huge overage fees every month or possibly have a way to gauge\predict how much on average a month's bandwith will take...

But seriously, I need some input on the mirror as if i get no input, I am leaning towards what the poll suggest to not fund such a service

Have a Blessed day,

Later,
Saturn

jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

I don't think SVN/GIT would catch on. It seems to me most of the development going on is by one or two person teams. At that scale, centralized revision control is probably more overhead than it's worth.

But I suspect community would benefit immensely from an official "contrib" repository that's accessible from the regular package manager. We could upload the best stuff from the forum and have it show up in the PPM.

I'm not sure what the bandwidth requirements for something like that would be - probably a lot. We'd also need a team of at least several people to maintain such a repo.

raffy

googlecode

#5 Post by raffy »

Here's a discusion about googlecode:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47627

About sourceforge:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32215

Pizzasgood has tried to setup a server for a similar purpose. It was structured along the unleashed way of building Puppy, but Woof was introduced and suddenly, unleashed became obsolete.

Ibiblio has been a generous host of Puppy, and the Lucid Puppy team is using it now for its packages.

These are good alternatives for a PPM-accessible repository.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Saturn

#6 Post by Saturn »

jemimah wrote:I don't think SVN/GIT would catch on. It seems to me most of the development going on is by one or two person teams. At that scale, centralized revision control is probably more overhead than it's worth.

But I suspect community would benefit immensely from an official "contrib" repository that's accessible from the regular package manager. We could upload the best stuff from the forum and have it show up in the PPM.

I'm not sure what the bandwidth requirements for something like that would be - probably a lot. We'd also need a team of at least several people to maintain such a repo.

Ok, i was under the impression from what i heard from crusty that it( the puppy developer team ..... was in the tens or twenties) thanks for the heads up !

But i been trying to get a centralized repo as trying to gather all the packages from the forum and else where's to be on my repo but that effort has been going on for a near month now and only two people who could do it were iguleder and wolf_pup
they both have extremely slow speeds as i will when i am finished moving I may have to give up my seven mbps pipe that i had in the bigger city up north...

so iguelder is going to start army duty and i think wolf either doesn't feel like it because of his speed or other reasons

And I certainly can not do it because of a failed hard drive that is forcing me to run in ram

Now to make this valid point
my repo may not be the first well known file mirror run by caneri or others but it does have tons of "Unique" files you simply can not get anywhere else or would have incredible pains finding else where such as maybe muppy ( the multi-user puppy,non-root), puppy webcam support and other things that i can not think of off the top of my head....

I owe my file mirror's unique-ness to bigmike for his vast collection of unique hard to find linux files and also the co-admin wolf for day to day upkeep and maintenance but its usually me that fixes stuff when it something goes extremely wrong

so if your eager to accomplish this goal of a contrib dir i'll let you know when things have cleared up here and i'll give you a ftp account on my server for where you can upload your stuffs

but keep in mind i feel that my account is to be used and to be for the puppy linux community...

I am just donating funds to buy server space

Thanks,
Saturn

Have a great day\evening!

(*Note I have just skimmed over the last posts made by lobster and it seems to be that my memory has been jet lagging it was a post about 4.2 instead of lucid...appolgies folks)

once again thanks for the correction jemimah much appreciated even tho this bit of confusion has made me feel a bit dumb =\

Saturn

#7 Post by Saturn »

and oh btw, does anyone know of anything puppy needs that i can throw a reasonable amount money at ?

Thanks

raffy

donation

#8 Post by raffy »

Saturn wrote:and oh btw, does anyone know of anything puppy needs that i can throw a reasonable amount money at ?
Maybe try this or this for your own testing or for one of the developers.