Puppy 3-D meetings

News, happenings
ttuuxxx

#31 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi lobster was that the real Barry K in the chat???
and if so are we green for puppy 6 to be built from scratch?
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

raffy

Thanks

#32 Post by raffy »

Thanks all for your presence and patience.

It's been a long time since the last meeting in IRC. Because the puppylinux IRC is loosely moderated, I guess most people would feel more comfortable conducting the discussion here in the forum.

But it was truly fun to be talking directly to the devs, notably BarryK, the creator of Puppy Linux.

The meeting favored the ideas of 5.x keeping binary compatibility with chosen distros, and of 6.x being compiled from source. Ttuuxxx was nominated to coordinate Puppy6. Puppy6 could be an LTS release, and the repositories have to be organized in some way.

If you attended the IRC meeting and feel ignored, it could be either (1) your question had been answered in the past, or (2) your question was not contributing to the topic being discussed. Sorry.

If your project was not mentioned or your name was not brought up, don't lose heart - the meeting was more an effort to define how to proceed with development of the official Puppy instead of naming who's who. More devs/volunteers are needed for both Puppy5 and Puppy6. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

dejan555

#33 Post by dejan555 »

ttuuxxx wrote:hi lobster was that the real Barry K in the chat???
ttuuxxx
You better check with Barry first ttuuxxx, pm him or post question on his blog but I really doubt that was him, like I told you it's probably one more troll :P
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

stu90

Re: Thanks

#34 Post by stu90 »

raffy wrote:Thanks all for your presence and patience.

It's been a long time since the last meeting in IRC. Because the puppylinux IRC is loosely moderated, I guess most people would feel more comfortable conducting the discussion here in the forum.

But it was truly fun to be talking directly to the devs, notably BarryK, the creator of Puppy Linux.

The meeting favored the ideas of 5.x keeping binary compatibility with chosen distros, and of 6.x being compiled from source. Ttuuxxx was nominated to coordinate Puppy6. Puppy6 could be an LTS release, and the repositories have to be organized in some way.

If you attended the IRC meeting and feel ignored, it could be either (1) your question had been answered in the past, or (2) your question was not contributing to the topic being discussed. Sorry.

If your project was not mentioned or your name was not brought up, don't lose heart - the meeting was more an effort to define how to proceed with development of the official Puppy instead of naming who's who. More devs/volunteers are needed for both Puppy5 and Puppy6. :)
hello Raffy,
In none developer terms what does it mean when " The meeting favored the ideas of 5.x keeping binary compatibility with chosen distros, and of 6.x being compiled from source"
does that mean 6.x we will no longer have the ubuntu / slackware compatible puppies and their software daterbase?

jemimah

#35 Post by jemimah »

Honestly, I didn't get the impression that anything was truly discussed or decided in that meeting.

However, I talked to Ttuuxxx afterward, and I am willing to lend assistance to whatever Ttuuxxx wants to do. I think he has good taste, and good ideas, and probably has enough dedication to accomplish what he sets his mind to.

The plan of building entirely from scratch is extremely ambitious - the problem will be getting a base system working. I doubt we can figure it out with out a lot of help from Barry, and the other developers who understand Linux internals very well.

--

But yes, building from scratch would mean losing binary compatibility. This doesn't imply the demise of woof or wooflets.

--

From what I understand, calling this project the official 6.x series requires approval by the real BarryK.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#36 Post by Lobster »

hi lobster was that the real Barry K in the chat???
No
I would say you and Jemimah make a formidable team.
So that you had a mini-meeting makes the whole IRC hijack
worthwhile. 8)

In future we may do something different
'Meet' on the forum or something . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tlchost

Re: Thanks

#37 Post by tlchost »

raffy wrote: But it was truly fun to be talking directly to the devs, notably BarryK, the creator of Puppy Linux.
It was interesting watching folks fall all over them selves to talk to Barry....especially since it really wasn't Barry.

tlchost

#38 Post by tlchost »

WhoDo wrote:
jemimah wrote: I think a private group is essential for further discussion. At least the trolls can be kept out by requiring a login from the group owner.
I'd suggest that if the devs make use of IRC, they brush up on how it really works. Some of the comments made by devs(or those that purported to be devs) showing little understanding of IRC.

An offer was made to give the devs a registered channel for their use...with the provision that at least one dev act as a moderator....

Instead of complaining about trolls, the devs might consider taking a pro-active approach in protecting their venue.

Thom

nancy reagan

Why not call a meeting by pm instead through the forum ?

#39 Post by nancy reagan »

Why not call a meeting by pm next time, instead through the forum ?

So there will be no trolls and Barry K will be Barry K, if he says so

By pm you can ask to conform the invitation and ask for the name he/she will use on the chat and let everyone know whoiswho beforehand.

So then BK will be BK or not present. and Nancy Reagan Margaret Thatcher or the like.

8-bit

#40 Post by 8-bit »

A meeting should be held on a private channel with those who attend given access.
I read the minutes of the meeting as supplied by Tuxxx and I do not see how anything productive could come from one with so may trolls and also trying to figure out who is who.
I am a dumb shit when it comes to using CHAT to set up an IRC account and I never could connect.
But from reading the minutes, it is just as well that I could not connect.
I would say to have another meeting of the developers on a private channel with uname/password.
Surely there is somewhere one could do this.

And don't call me Surely. :lol:

raffy

IRC regulars

#41 Post by raffy »

When I responded here, I said
I can try to moderate the process, with lots of help from IRC regulars. I would leave the discussion of content to the co-chairs.
I did not see the old hands at IRC in this thread or at the start of the meeting, but Whodo was at IRC together with the other devs, so starting the meeting still made sense.

You can treat the ideas generated in that discussion as useful starting points.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Enrique Corbellini

how good

#42 Post by Enrique Corbellini »

There has been a meeting! sounds so good, having reunions is a symptom of good health in a community. :D
There is something important we should consider some day, I believe. It is that, Puppy is not a little system, it is small in weight because we wanted it to be small, but is far big in efficience and practicing, it's the end of every headache using PCs, I always repeat that.
Despite that, it never appears hardware for Puppy as hardware for Windows appears. I mean, if there are good programmers creating something like Puppy, why is it that impossible to find good machine factory's builders to create the appropriate hardware for people, including the appropriate hardware for Puppy?
I swear the day I have some time to speak about this with some people, I'll certainly dedicate part of my time to find this builders that will make us stop running before Gates feet as if he was some sort of god. It's only a person, we shouldn't forget that.

tlchost

Re: how good

#43 Post by tlchost »

Enrique Corbellini wrote:why is it that impossible to find good machine factory's builders to create the appropriate hardware for people, including the appropriate hardware for Puppy?
Because the number of people who would buy those machines is so small, the factory can't justify producing the hardware.

What keeps hardware shops running? People buying new computers. Puppy doesn't need new computers...it will work fine on systems the factories stopped building years ago.

Why don't you start producing the computers you reference...you will be a hero, freeing people from the evil Bill Gates.

Thom

shariebeth

#44 Post by shariebeth »

:shock:

:idea:
All of my questions have been answered.

:(
Mind boggling. Really.

big_bass

#45 Post by big_bass »

A team comprises a group of people linked in a common purpose. Teams are especially appropriate for conducting tasks that are high in complexity and have many interdependent subtasks.

A group in itself does not necessarily constitute a team. Teams normally have members with complementary skills and generate synergy through a coordinated effort which allows each member to maximize his or her strengths and minimize his or her weaknesses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in modern usage, the term "dictator" is generally used to describe a leader who holds and/or abuses an extraordinary amount of personal power, especially the power to make laws without effective restraint by a legislative assembly. Dictatorships are often characterized by some of the following traits: suspension of elections and of civil liberties; proclamation of a state of emergency; rule by decree; repression of political opponents without abiding by rule of law procedures; these include single-party state, and cult of personality

you decide which qualities are best
its a free world

Joe

ttuuxxx

#46 Post by ttuuxxx »

would be nice if the puppy forum had a chat phpbb plugin, Then we could login and user our main nicks etc
https://blueimp.net/ajax/
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#47 Post by Lobster »

Guys our IRC meeting was such a success
that some of us did not turn up
and we were still there :D

Time to move on . . .

I have sent pm's and emails to those I have contacts for
- if you are a woof or puplet creator
or major compiler / developer
let me know if you want to join the developer chat

I am aware that some developers are chatting by email and pm
- good news

======== Jemimah (Puppeee, Fluppy) asks about communication between developers . . .

========= Larry (playdayz) has proposed:
a team effort for 5.1
leading into 6
and using the Woof development system
(does not have to be Ubuntu based)

======== Warren (two official Puppy releases)
has offered advice on including developers such as
trio, Zigbert, shinobar, disciple and Technosaurus

===== Joe (Big Bass) Slaxer_pup ====
can sometimes be found on IRC
so talk with him further there
- I also note Ttuuxxx is there on occasion

========== Pizzasgood (Jeremy) various projects is busy but has said
Pizzasgood wrote: As always, if anybody needs any help with anything I've done in the past, they are more than welcome to ask and I'll do what I can.
=========
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

big_bass

#48 Post by big_bass »

this chat is to talk and exchange ideas between "people" adding support to puppy I would like to invite more people I havent invited people from the chat because you have to have the email address of the person

I would hate to list names here for fear to leave someone off the list
so if you build stuff and add in support sign in send Lobster a PM
a log is saved so you can drop in at any time to discover something new or post a question in a non public quiet area

P.S thanks to Lobster for setting this up I got a chance to talk with Jemimah and playdayz (Larry)
and exchange ideas and work
it would be nice if more people take a step to
see and hear whats going on from those that are
working on special projects whatever they may be to become
more informed and just have a real geek chat
that nobody else understands :D

Joe