Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Nov 2014, 06:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Puppy 3-D meetings
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [48 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 11:40    Post subject:  

hi lobster was that the real Barry K in the chat???
and if so are we green for puppy 6 to be built from scratch?
ttuuxxx

raffy

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 12:12    Post subject: Thanks  

Thanks all for your presence and patience.

It's been a long time since the last meeting in IRC. Because the puppylinux IRC is loosely moderated, I guess most people would feel more comfortable conducting the discussion here in the forum.

But it was truly fun to be talking directly to the devs, notably BarryK, the creator of Puppy Linux.

The meeting favored the ideas of 5.x keeping binary compatibility with chosen distros, and of 6.x being compiled from source. Ttuuxxx was nominated to coordinate Puppy6. Puppy6 could be an LTS release, and the repositories have to be organized in some way.

If you attended the IRC meeting and feel ignored, it could be either (1) your question had been answered in the past, or (2) your question was not contributing to the topic being discussed. Sorry.

If your project was not mentioned or your name was not brought up, don't lose heart - the meeting was more an effort to define how to proceed with development of the official Puppy instead of naming who's who. More devs/volunteers are needed for both Puppy5 and Puppy6. Smile

dejan555

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 12:15    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
ttuuxxx

You better check with Barry first ttuuxxx, pm him or post question on his blog but I really doubt that was him, like I told you it's probably one more troll Razz

stu90

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 13:36    Post subject: Re: Thanks  

raffy wrote:
Thanks all for your presence and patience.

It's been a long time since the last meeting in IRC. Because the puppylinux IRC is loosely moderated, I guess most people would feel more comfortable conducting the discussion here in the forum.

But it was truly fun to be talking directly to the devs, notably BarryK, the creator of Puppy Linux.

The meeting favored the ideas of 5.x keeping binary compatibility with chosen distros, and of 6.x being compiled from source. Ttuuxxx was nominated to coordinate Puppy6. Puppy6 could be an LTS release, and the repositories have to be organized in some way.

If you attended the IRC meeting and feel ignored, it could be either (1) your question had been answered in the past, or (2) your question was not contributing to the topic being discussed. Sorry.

If your project was not mentioned or your name was not brought up, don't lose heart - the meeting was more an effort to define how to proceed with development of the official Puppy instead of naming who's who. More devs/volunteers are needed for both Puppy5 and Puppy6. Smile

hello Raffy,
In none developer terms what does it mean when " The meeting favored the ideas of 5.x keeping binary compatibility with chosen distros, and of 6.x being compiled from source"
does that mean 6.x we will no longer have the ubuntu / slackware compatible puppies and their software daterbase?
jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 14:07    Post subject:  

Honestly, I didn't get the impression that anything was truly discussed or decided in that meeting.

However, I talked to Ttuuxxx afterward, and I am willing to lend assistance to whatever Ttuuxxx wants to do. I think he has good taste, and good ideas, and probably has enough dedication to accomplish what he sets his mind to.

The plan of building entirely from scratch is extremely ambitious - the problem will be getting a base system working. I doubt we can figure it out with out a lot of help from Barry, and the other developers who understand Linux internals very well.

--

But yes, building from scratch would mean losing binary compatibility. This doesn't imply the demise of woof or wooflets.

--

From what I understand, calling this project the official 6.x series requires approval by the real BarryK.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 14:51    Post subject:  

Quote:

No

Quote:

I would say you and Jemimah make a formidable team.
So that you had a mini-meeting makes the whole IRC hijack
worthwhile. Cool

In future we may do something different
'Meet' on the forum or something . . .

tlchost

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 16:03    Post subject: Re: Thanks  

raffy wrote:

It was interesting watching folks fall all over them selves to talk to Barry....especially since it really wasn't Barry.
tlchost

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 16:08    Post subject:  

[quote="WhoDo"]
jemimah wrote:
I think a private group is essential for further discussion. At least the trolls can be kept out by requiring a login from the group owner.

I'd suggest that if the devs make use of IRC, they brush up on how it really works. Some of the comments made by devs(or those that purported to be devs) showing little understanding of IRC.

An offer was made to give the devs a registered channel for their use...with the provision that at least one dev act as a moderator....

Instead of complaining about trolls, the devs might consider taking a pro-active approach in protecting their venue.

Thom
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 16:15    Post subject: Why not call a meeting by pm instead through the forum ?  

Why not call a meeting by pm next time, instead through the forum ?

So there will be no trolls and Barry K will be Barry K, if he says so

By pm you can ask to conform the invitation and ask for the name he/she will use on the chat and let everyone know whoiswho beforehand.

So then BK will be BK or not present. and Nancy Reagan Margaret Thatcher or the like.
8-bit

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 17:46    Post subject:  

A meeting should be held on a private channel with those who attend given access.
I read the minutes of the meeting as supplied by Tuxxx and I do not see how anything productive could come from one with so may trolls and also trying to figure out who is who.
I am a dumb shit when it comes to using CHAT to set up an IRC account and I never could connect.
But from reading the minutes, it is just as well that I could not connect.
I would say to have another meeting of the developers on a private channel with uname/password.
Surely there is somewhere one could do this.

And don't call me Surely. Laughing
raffy

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 19:18    Post subject: IRC regulars  

When I responded here, I said
Quote:
I can try to moderate the process, with lots of help from IRC regulars. I would leave the discussion of content to the co-chairs.

I did not see the old hands at IRC in this thread or at the start of the meeting, but Whodo was at IRC together with the other devs, so starting the meeting still made sense.

You can treat the ideas generated in that discussion as useful starting points.

Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 20:34    Post subject:  how good
Subject description: didn't know

There has been a meeting! sounds so good, having reunions is a symptom of good health in a community. Very Happy
There is something important we should consider some day, I believe. It is that, Puppy is not a little system, it is small in weight because we wanted it to be small, but is far big in efficience and practicing, it's the end of every headache using PCs, I always repeat that.
Despite that, it never appears hardware for Puppy as hardware for Windows appears. I mean, if there are good programmers creating something like Puppy, why is it that impossible to find good machine factory's builders to create the appropriate hardware for people, including the appropriate hardware for Puppy?
I swear the day I have some time to speak about this with some people, I'll certainly dedicate part of my time to find this builders that will make us stop running before Gates feet as if he was some sort of god. It's only a person, we shouldn't forget that.
tlchost

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 21:09    Post subject: Re: how good
Subject description: didn't know

Enrique Corbellini wrote:
why is it that impossible to find good machine factory's builders to create the appropriate hardware for people, including the appropriate hardware for Puppy?

Because the number of people who would buy those machines is so small, the factory can't justify producing the hardware.

What keeps hardware shops running? People buying new computers. Puppy doesn't need new computers...it will work fine on systems the factories stopped building years ago.

Why don't you start producing the computers you reference...you will be a hero, freeing people from the evil Bill Gates.

Thom
shariebeth

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 22:00    Post subject:    

Shocked

Idea
All of my questions have been answered.

Sad
Mind boggling. Really.
big_bass

PostPosted: Mon 31 May 2010, 13:37    Post subject:  

A team comprises a group of people linked in a common purpose. Teams are especially appropriate for conducting tasks that are high in complexity and have many interdependent subtasks.

A group in itself does not necessarily constitute a team. Teams normally have members with complementary skills and generate synergy through a coordinated effort which allows each member to maximize his or her strengths and minimize his or her weaknesses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in modern usage, the term "dictator" is generally used to describe a leader who holds and/or abuses an extraordinary amount of personal power, especially the power to make laws without effective restraint by a legislative assembly. Dictatorships are often characterized by some of the following traits: suspension of elections and of civil liberties; proclamation of a state of emergency; rule by decree; repression of political opponents without abiding by rule of law procedures; these include single-party state, and cult of personality

you decide which qualities are best
its a free world

Joe

Page 3 of 4 [48 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: