4G internet - Vivid Wireless

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mcalex

4G internet - Vivid Wireless

#1 Post by mcalex »

Hi all

Vivid Wireless, a WA ISP company, have a thing they call 4G internet.

I'm buying a USB modem for their service tonight. Does anyone know if puppy does '4G' internet?

Hi Rerwin if listening - I'm guessing you'll have an interest if this doesn't work?

cheers

mcalex

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

One would expect BK would have access and be interested in this (at least when he is frequently in perth). He is currently beeing with 3g modems so you may be in luck if you bring it to his attention. As to if it would work as is. hey this is Linux so everything new takes that much more effort and frustration due to obfuscation design of the pre-entrenched monopoly.

http://vividwireless.com.au/
and look they even show you how fast they are (see attached). dont you think thats fast? wow.

(or maybe it is so fast that slow old me with my unfast connection cant see it)
Attachments
fast.jpg
(29.09 KiB) Downloaded 1960 times

mcalex

#3 Post by mcalex »

Odd USB thing. It's only got the business half of a normal USB port (doesn't have the thin metal edge that completes the rectangle)

1st attempt: NFG. I get no indication of a USB device being plugged in on puppy. Tried every different USB port on the 'puter

flipped over to windoze and tried from there. XP knew a device had been plugged in, but didn't recognise it & said it malfunctioned.

Any ideas anyone?

aarf

#4 Post by aarf »

try plugging in before you boot. and after if you have tried before. this seems critical sometimes. you might want to tell us which puppies you are using.

aarf

#5 Post by aarf »

now there is speed info which i couldnt get before but is it anything to write home about?
http://www.vividwireless.com.au/discove ... /our-speed
Our Speed

How fast is faster?

Our network testing of the USB modem reveals an average download speed of 6.7 Mbps, with typical download speeds between 5 and 8 Mbps within our coverage areas. The speeds experienced across the network are not only lightning fast - they are remarkably consistent day and night, when you expect more users on the network.

mcalex

#6 Post by mcalex »

OK, tried with the dongle installed before boot up. Didn't work. (The package says to stick it in while the 'puter is running). Pulled it out, stuck it in again. Still nothing.

jemimah

#7 Post by jemimah »

The OS doesn't care if the modem is 3g or 4g, only whether the hardware looks like a modem or not.

You can see how far it gets by running dmesg after plugging the modem in. It would be useful to find out the make and model of the modem so you can see if there is a driver for it.

mcalex

#8 Post by mcalex »

I've attached two dmesg files. The first one had so much stuff in it, I took the modem out and put it back in again to see what got added (I also stuck a thumbdrive in so I could copy the files). This might make working out the useful additions a bit difficult.

To make things more difficult, I'm currently (successfully) using a different USB modem (Huawei e169) which might muddy the information contained in the dmesg files.

The modem I'm having difficulty with is a Huawei BM358

cheers

mcalex
Attachments
mesg2.zip
second output
(7.22 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
mesg.zip
first output from dmesg
(7.02 KiB) Downloaded 555 times

jemimah

#9 Post by jemimah »

Is the other modem removable?

If you reboot, and just test the one that doesn't work, the log file might make more sense.

I'm guessing it's the one with all the error messages... it's not looking good. I might agree with XP that it's malfunctioning.

mcalex

#10 Post by mcalex »

yeah, did this in a rush this morning.

Will give it a more systematic attempt this evening. gotta do that work thing in the meantime :wink:

cheers & thnx

mcalex

#11 Post by mcalex »

OK, slightly more concerted effort.

Startup. No USB storage. No USB modem
file: mesg1.txt

Plugged in vividwireless modem.
file: mesg2.txt

both text files in attachment

doesn't look like much happened successfully

hope someone can read machine

thnx
mcalex
Attachments
dmesg.zip
(12.9 KiB) Downloaded 554 times

mcalex

#12 Post by mcalex »

hmmm, wonder if it doesn't like that I don't have USB2.0. Anyone got a list of USB error codes anywhere?

anyhoo, plugged the modem into a different puppy (in a newer box) and it seems to work more.

however, when i try to run the probe from pupdial it reports back 'no modem', and dmesg on this machine says:

Code: Select all

config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0v81 has invalid maxpacket 256
eth2: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:00:1d.7-5, CDC Ethernet Device, 00:16:08:ff:00:04
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
any ideas anyone?

tia,
mcalex

ps: thanks for the heads-up aarf. :-) I mentioned on BK's blog I had done a bit of research, but when I bought my previous modem (a Huawei e169) the research suggested I wouldn't get that working, but excellent work by the puppy devs - rerwin in particular - now have me happily posting this using my e169 beastie.

J_Rey

#13 Post by J_Rey »

Well, the main thing is we need to find out who makes the chipset for your BM358 modem. Huawei only puts the parts together. If you could go to Menu -> System -> System Status and Config and let us know what both HardInfo and PupScan show when only your vividwireless 4G WiMAX USB modem is plugged in (not with the other Huawei modem) then we can go from there.

J_Rey

#14 Post by J_Rey »

OK after looking through the Windows driver files for this modem, it specifically mentioned NDIS 5 (upper range) & Ethernet (lower range) which seems to match what was recognized & listed/loaded in the dmesg log. Also I found in the files & by the MAC ID/OUI that Sequans Communications makes the chipset. Your last post shows some loaded modules that seem likely to work, so doesn't seem too proprietary/obscure. Don't bother with pupdial since this one doesn't work like a dialup modem. First pull up IP Info from the menu & see if eth2 has a valid IP address & what it shows for DNS & Routing because it may already be ready just not configured/setup yet. Try the Internet Connection Wizard or Network Wizard or Simple Network Setup. Chose the Wired LAN & use DHCP for each. Let us know what you find out of course.

Another important thing is have you got it working with Windows/Mac yet? I certain it will be needed to do it at least once for the initial device activation to go through. Unless you want to muck around with OMA in Linux that is. Also the firmware update from their website shouldn't hurt too.

So, what version of Puppy are you using by the way?
___
Above was edited after additional research.