Vote - on the new puppy 5 serios

Using applications, configuring, problems
playdayz

#16 Post by playdayz »

Thanks to all of you for trying Lucid Puppy. I just posted luci-205 which is the first "public" testing release on the way toward Lucid Puppy 5.1 in *July* and if you have the time we could use the help. We have begun a "puppy-lucid" repository which is filling up with good and useful programs, including Blender, Kino, Dia, Stellarium, Kompozer, Filezilla, Pidgin, Gnucash, XarLx, Linux Multimedia Studio, Exact Audio Copy and Foobar2000 (windows), Scribus, Songbird, Skype, and others, in addition to the ones Lobster mentioned. By the way Lobster, Avidemux might be the friendly video editor you are looking for--I still cannot find Openshot.--but Avid has been doing computer video for a long time.

Anyway, I noticed that people mentioned the Ubuntu repos. Here is the way I am seeing that. It would be great if all Ubuntu programs would install perfectly from the Puppy Package Manger, or through apt-get. The problem is that Puppy is not Ubuntu--meaning that the Puppy and Ubuntu have a different architecture/infrastructure. So not all programs will install easily. However, there are more than I would have thought that do with just a click; several clicks actually. Here is the system I use: Click the program you want and if PPM says there are any dependencies, then tell it to Examine all Dependencies. If it looks reasonable, then go for it. If the program does not run after installing, then run it from a terminal and see if it tells you the reason why.

IMO, the value of using Ubuntu binaries is not to have all the repos work perfectly, rather it is that we can use the binaries to quite easily prepare programs for use in Puppy. Look at that list above--that is from only about three weeks work--though some we had made for Quickpet in LP 5.0. If things go well I can make 3-5 per day. The advantage I see is that these programs in the puppy-lucid repo of PPM are all *tested and configured* for Lucid Puppy. So what we have is about a 3-tier arrangement: 1) Quickpet, for quick one-click install, 2) the puppy-lucid repo in PPM, for many of the best and most useful Linux programs configured and tested in Lucid Puppy, and 3) the Ubuntu repos for people who like to experiment. And those experiments can turn into pets that end up in the puppy-lucid repo. At the beginning we were really not sure how things would turn out, but after several months this is the way it seems to make sense.

BTW, Lucid Puppy will not be the only Puppy 5.0 for very long now. Fatdog64 is in rc3 and are just waiting for Firefox before they release Fatdog64-500. Another Puppy to play with.

Here's the link to luci-205
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55740

HiDeHo

#17 Post by HiDeHo »

the Puppy Linux 5 series has come along way since its shaky beginnings. Now that it is moving away from ubuntu repos an back to having its own pets. this is great keep up the good work. also with the split with lupu for newer computers and wary for older ones its a good one

HiDeHo

#18 Post by HiDeHo »

itsd also good to see slacko coming along nicely an ti should be a good official puppy to push forward with the puppy linux os. good on puppy linux.