Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
darwinev0lved

82852/855GM

#811 Post by darwinev0lved »

Hi again, well I'm posting this from Luci212 running Xorg.
Tried to boot as normal - but hit the blackscreen.
Booted with pfix=nox and this time choosing the i810 driver worked. Will start testing / trying to break other things. :D

Regards, Jon

darwinev0lved

java quickpet

#812 Post by darwinev0lved »

Well, that's weird. Tried the java quickpet. It worked absolutely fine for 501 this time, it simply fails to copy the files to ~/home
It does copy other files, so in ~/.packages there is a jre-1.6.0.20.files and all the files in /usr/bin and /usr/lib are copied.
So, odd.

Edit: was able to get round this by copying the jre-1.6.0.20.tar.gz whilst the pet was extracting (this seems like a really stupid way of doing things - but XArchive won't open pet files - which is also stupid, is there a more sensible way of looking into / extracting specific files from .pets ?)
So java is working, but not as smoothly as it should.
Could there be something odd about my /mnt/home? Can't think what it would be though.

pemasu

#813 Post by pemasu »

luci-212 works fine so far.

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 212

Chip description:
Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

Streamtuner and shoutcast has stopped working for me with streamtuner pet.

So I installed streamtuner2 deb from their homepage. I installed python lucid pet. First pygtk module was missing, but I was able to enable it. Update-python-modules and from python console import pygtk did the trick.

But glade module was something I wasnt able to install. From python console: import gtk.glade was unsuccessful. I tried installing many kind of glade and libglade and python-glade packages from ubuntu repository without luck.

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-212

#814 Post by Billtoo »

Running Live

# report-video

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
bash: glxgears: command not found
#
Download and install Xorg High -GLX from quickpet

# report-video

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
4350 frames in 5.0 seconds
4811 frames in 5.0 seconds
4811 frames in 5.0 seconds
4817 frames in 5.0 seconds
#
OpenGL
Vendor Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33 GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
Version 1.4 Mesa 7.7.1
Direct Rendering Yes

stu90

#815 Post by stu90 »

frugal install of 212 with xorg-high:

Gtk-record-my-desktop.pet appears not to be working correctly. Doesn't encode after making a recording, switching to encoding on the fly produced a recording but it is unwatchable just a bunch of fuzzy colors.

smokey01

Re: java quickpet

#816 Post by smokey01 »

darwinev0lved wrote: XArchive won't open pet files - which is also stupid, is there a more sensible way of looking into / extracting specific files from .pets ?)
To look inside a pet called filename.pet simply add .tar.gz to the pet package.

EG: filename.pet.tar.gz

Now XArchive will let you look inside.

ICPUG

#817 Post by ICPUG »

Here is my report of 211 with Intel 855 graphics.

I run my test on a laptop frugal install dual boot with Windows (Lin'N'Win).

As reported by others with other Intel boards you get the black screen of death.

The solution is not pfix=nox, running with VESA or running with i810 like previously.

In order to get the solution you have to understand what the problem is.

Thanks to Tazoc of Lighthouse Puppy fame the problem was isolated to Kernel Mode Setting.

THE SOLUTION IS:
Boot up the kernel with the following boot code:
i915.modeset=1

i.e in your menu.lst if booting from grub:
kernel (hd0,0)/luci211/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=luci211 i915.modeset=1 (this is not a separate line - its a continuation)
initrd (hd0,0)/luci211/initrd.gz

Now, I know you guys are busy but I wish you would read Barry's blog at least. I identified this to Barry a little while ago and he is running with it.

There is one side issue when you do the above. The framebuffer used when you go to a terminal or when you close down Luci is scrunched up - it does not use the standard VGA terminal. Some say you cannot use a standard VGA terminal but Lighthouse Puppy 5.00C seems to look better.

Another issue: When I booted up letting Xorg configure automatically I then decided to change the keyboard settings etc. cos I thought it would be set to US if I didn't. I was a little surprised to have to configure Xorg as well but even worse I did not have an option to let Xorg automagically configure again

The only options were Probe Choose (and VESA?). Probe will crash - even with the kernel parameter set so I would have to select Choose and then pick Intel. While this works the touchpad does not behave so the automatic option is nice to have.

Sorry I only tested with 211. I tested last night and come back to report today and find there is a 212! Anyways i810 is not the solution.
Last edited by ICPUG on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 12:07, edited 3 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#818 Post by Lobster »

stu90 wrote:frugal install of 212 with xorg-high:

Gtk-record-my-desktop.pet appears not to be working correctly. Doesn't encode after making a recording, switching to encoding on the fly produced a recording but it is unwatchable just a bunch of fuzzy colors.
Fuzzy colours are an art feature :wink:
This is the mediaplayer :roll:
Try installing the vlc player and see if that works (it did for me)
- still no sound for me with Gtk-record-my-desktop :cry:

Straight to desktop - :)
Ethernet connection - :) (and I think persistent - paws crossed)
Firefox installed - done! :)
Graphic card test - yep worked - installed XorgHi - a fish could do it :)
Google Earth installed - yeah baby! :)
VLC installed - worked better than mediaplayer for the .ogv files produced - see above :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pemasu

#819 Post by pemasu »

ICPUG and others using i915.modeset=1 with intel driver.

You can get better console resolution using video=640x480 as bootparameter

title Luci210
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Luci210/initrd.gz
kernel /Luci210/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=Luci210 i915.modeset=1 video=640x480 pfix=fsck
initrd /Luci210/initrd.gz

My luci-212 bootparameters from menu.lst. I havent renamed it yet to luci212.

01micko

#820 Post by 01micko »

Hi Everybody

I have fixed the kernel source for lucid puppy. It is now a more respectable 84MB

Here it is:

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lupu_ke ... atched.sfs 84M

78a989b17552d10bd2d7ba2f2c3c1217 kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs

Text file >- http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lupu_ke ... atched.txt

I would appreciate if anyone can mirror this mainly as it is an open source requirement to post source code, and we wouldn't want it to go awol in a server disaster. Thank you.

Playdayz, can you post a prominent link to this and perhaps in the release note. Thank you.

As instructed by BarryK I ran

Code: Select all

# make clean
# make prepare

So it should be suitable for compiling any driver.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#821 Post by playdayz »

puppy pfix=nox
xorg-setup.old
vesa
xwin
rjbrewer, you can still do that, except change xorg-setup-old to xorg-setup.

Thanks.

playdayz

#822 Post by playdayz »

ICPUG wrote:Here is my report of 211 with Intel 855 graphics.

I run my test on a laptop frugal install dual boot with Windows (Lin'N'Win).

As reported by others with other Intel boards you get the black screen of death.
Both reports of black screen so far are Intel 855. I think. That could be useful info to have.
Another issue: When I booted up letting Xorg configure automatically I then decided to change the keyboard settings etc. cos I thought it would be set to US if I didn't. I was a little surprised to have to configure Xorg as well but even worse I did not have an option to let Xorg automagically configure again

In order to change the keyboard there must be an xorg.conf file--that is why xorgwizard is necessary. If you mean change the Locale (language) that can be done without an xorg.conf--with Menu -> Desktop -> Chooselocale.

playdayz

#823 Post by playdayz »

2/ started video (intel) but at the max for chipset /monitor (1600x1200), no questions asked, was unuseable, should be set 800x600 or 1024x768
Video resolution can be changed with xrandrshell (run xorgwizard from menu) or by using the Video changed from the first run dialog--that runs xorgwizard from a command line).

rjbrewer

#824 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:
puppy pfix=nox
xorg-setup.old
vesa
xwin
rjbrewer, you can still do that, except change xorg-setup-old to xorg-setup.

Thanks.
Thanks; seems vesa is not available.

I tried ICPUGs' i915.modeset=1 suggestion.
Worked fine!

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

playdayz

#825 Post by playdayz »

Worked fine!
There was no vesa driver? I am puzzled. Or the vesa driver did not work?

modeset. We are getting the info we need. Thanks.

playdayz

#826 Post by playdayz »

Huge Announcement

01micko and playdayz are happy to announce that the Lucid Puppy team has been joined by WhoDo as Art Director. WhoDo was the coordinator of Puppy 4.2 Community Edition, which was one of the best-looking Puppies ever. WhoDo's presence should indicate to everyone inside and outside of the Puppy community that we regard the aesthetics of our distro as a top priority. After all, when people use Lucid Puppy, the desktop is what they see most of. WhoDo has already been able to create a contest at Australian Photography to choose the upcoming Lucid Puppy 5.1 background. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/ ... hp?t=61608

WhoDo is also very experienced with Icewm and we are going to include that by default beginning in luci-213, not as the default desktop but in the iso and already tested and configured. This is a good thing we believe because 1) it gives Lucid users an alternate window manager at the cost of only about 1MB; and 2) there have been several things have to do with graphics that jwm is not doing correctly, but Icewm does.

playdayz

#827 Post by playdayz »

Subject description: Supported 830M/MG-845G/GE-852GM-855GM/GME-865G
I have an old laptop which uses the Intel 845g gfx chipset and could only use XVESA however there is a solution so that you can use Xorg.

I found this information on the site, so thanks to the people who submitted this, I have just collated the information and the required file.
Thanks chrome307
Anyone want to bet that these might be the Intel graphics chipsets that give us the black screen? The two reports we have are on 855's.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57514

We ares till seeking information, but one possibility is to detect these chipsets and substitute the i810 driver for the symlink to the Intel_drv and then let it boot. Another possibility is that when we detect one of those chipsets we automatically sift into xorgwizard rather than trying to boot directly to the desktop. The 1955modeset option might fit in also. Things are still in flux but information rules. Luci-213 will have the first approximation of a solution.

rjbrewer

#828 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:

Worked fine!
There was no vesa driver? I am puzzled. Or the vesa driver did not work?

modeset. We are getting the info we need. Thanks.
Using the pfix=nox and xorg-setup gave me the options for
setting up vesa, but selecting it caused "black-screen crash".
Driver missing? No vesa option in menu.

Whatever.....xorg is working fine.
The reason I used xvesa in the 4.xx series Puppies was the
inability of xorg to display correct color rendering when
playing video files or dvds.
Don't have that problem now with this xorg.

Trying a full install.

Vlc quickpet works good. Doesn't have that mplayer dvd menu
screwup that all mplayers seem to have.

I don't like the new Seamonkey; deleted all it's files, installed
1.1.18 pet, replaced .mozilla with same from a previous setup.
Have all old settings and functions working fine.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

playdayz

#829 Post by playdayz »

Using the pfix=nox and xorg-setup gave me the options for
setting up vesa, but selecting it caused "black-screen crash".
The vesa_drv.so is in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers. You could check to be sure.

Could you do the go to /var/log/Xorg.0.log and copy that to a message.
Thanks.

playdayz

#830 Post by playdayz »

I am about to start testing "gtk-recordMy Desktop." That is how the developers write it. I sure hope the problem might be in the configs; it seems like a very useful program. I use a similar program named Camtasia for my paying work.

To record from my microphone I did this. I started mhWave-edit and clicked the Record button. At the Record screen I choose a format, and then clicked Launch Mixer. On the Mixer I clicked F4 for Capture. I turned up Capture and Capture 1, arrow to them and then up arrow. I also set Input Sour(ce) to Mic. Then I could see movement on the meters--only the left--my mic is a mono plug. mhwave-edit is just a way to start the alsamixer--you can just open a terminal and enter alsamixer.

Then I shut Mh-wave-edit and opened gtk-recordMyDesktop. I made a recording and it recorded sound from the mic.

The ogv file would not play with the gnome-mplayer 0.9.9.2 that is installed inluci-212, but it does play in gnome-mplayer 0.9.6 which we are considering using for other reasons also. It also would play with Smplayer. It would also play with VLC. Somehow I took SMplayer out of the PPM repo. Why did I do that? I see, it will be back soon.

Anyway I think music playing on the desktop might be recorded by changing the Input Sour in Alsamixer. You can do the same things with Retrovol if you right-click and open the Full Window
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 02 Aug 2010, 16:45, edited 4 times in total.