Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
darwinev0lved

old problem with intel driver

#781 Post by darwinev0lved »

Hi, slightly worried that this news is going to be about as popular as a bad smell.
I thought I'd give Lucid 211 a quick try - I know it's pre-beta but that's why frugal installs are great.
Well this problem that I reported here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=360

Is back in spades.
Now I can use pfix=nox to boot but then when I try to use 'Choose' to pick the Intel i810 driver that I need, it doesn't work - instead it picks some random driver fbdev which of course doesn't work at all.

Luckily I can still boot into VESA.

I'm investigating, to see if I can get Xorg to use the right i810 driver, but no luck so far.
One thing I've noticed : if you go to

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-backup/

which is where the i810 driver is supposed to be, there's just a symlink to the intel_drv.so
That can't be right, surely? I mentioned this last time, but nobody picked up on it.

stu90

#782 Post by stu90 »

Code: Select all

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 211

Chip description:
oem: ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150

Driver used by Xorg:
radeon

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution:  Depth 24  Depth: "Display"
Frugal install 211:

First boot loads direct into desktop (minor problem - can't move windows with touchpad mouse)
Run setup wizard works
Glxgears works

Tested software:

Gtk-record my desktop (installed python first) works.
Micks Icewm and window manager switcher works.
Stellarium works fully with Icewm - workaround with JWM move stellarium window to top left corner of screen then resize to full screen.

Gnome mplayer is missing menu icon.

playdayz

#783 Post by playdayz »

Hi, slightly worried that this news is going to be about as popular as a bad smell.
I thought I'd give Lucid 211 a quick try - I know it's pre-beta but that's why frugal installs are great.

Is back in spades.
Now I can use pfix=nox to boot but then when I try to use 'Choose' to pick the Intel i810 driver that I need, it doesn't work - instead it picks some random driver fbdev which of course doesn't work at all.

I'm investigating, to see if I can get Xorg to use the right i810 driver, but no luck so far.

which is where the i810 driver is supposed to be, there's just a symlink to the intel_drv.so
That can't be right, surely? I mentioned this last time, but nobody picked up on it.
Luci-211 does not have the i810 driver in drivers-alternate. This is good to let us know. I had the impression that it was no longer working, to do the Intel drivers that way--so i left it out. I noticed it was missing when I rebuilt the xervers, and I thought, leave it out and see what happens. Well, something happened! I will put it back in for luci-212. I will try to make a pet now that puts the i810 driver there and perhaps we can see from that. Back in a bit. Thanks.

Oh, just for info, the fbdev is not random--it is similar to the vesa driver and usually xorg will choose the fbdev (framebuffer device driver) if vesa does not work. In one way fbdev might be better because it can do higher refresh rates than 60Hz. On a crt that 60Hz hurts my eyes bad--it is OK on an lcd.

Thanks for posting--we need to know what happens with intel video. When luci-211 first booted did you get a black screen so you went back and did pfix=nox.? And then the vesa driver worked? That would be useful information.

When we went back to booting directly to the desktop we knew that Intel might be a problem so I hope you will stay with us--we need to test that intel video.

Here is a pet with the i810_drv.so in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/i810_drv.pet

The thing to do is to install the pet and then exit to a prompt and run xorgwizard and Choose. Your guess is as good as mine about what will happen.

That pet will not help in the initial boot of course. In luci-212 I will remove the fbdev driver and hope that perhaps you can boot directly to vesa. That would be the ideal outcome--but I am not counting on it. The next step will be to catch the intel cards early and boot them to xorgwizard instead of failing to boot to the desktop--that is probably what we will have to do.

It is ironic that you came back just in time to reboot to the black screen. Last time it surprised us--but this time we have more time to get it right.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

darwinev0lved

#784 Post by darwinev0lved »

playdayz wrote:

Is back in spades.

Luci-211 does not have the i810 driver in drivers-backup. This is good to let us know. I had the impression that it was no longer working, to do the Intel drivers that way--so i left it out. I noticed it was missing when I rebuilt the xervers, and I thought, leave it out and see what happens. Well, something happened! I will put it back in for luci-212. I will try to make a pet now that puts the i80 driver there and perhaps we can see from that. Back in a bit. Thanks.

Oh, just for info, the fbdev is not random--it is similar to the vesa driver and usually xorg will choose the fbdev (framebuffer device driver) if vesa does not work. In one way fbdev might be better because it can do higher refresh rates than 60Hz. On a crt that 60Hz hurts my eyes bad--it is OK on an lcd.

Thanks for posting--we need to know what happens with intel video. When luci-211 first booted did you get a black screen so you went back and did pfix=nox.? But then the vesa driver worked? That would be useful information.

When we went back to booting directly to the desktop we knew that Intel might be a problem so I hope you will stay with us--we need to test that intel video.
Well all the swearing at the computer is made up for by speed and friendliness of response! So yes, I'll happily test 212.
When I first tried it - yes I got the black screen, so went back and tried pfix=nox. When I first probed for the driver, I didn't notice that it had picked the wrong one, skipped test and got a black screen again. Retried and used Vesa - which seems to be OK.

Regards,
Jon

playdayz

#785 Post by playdayz »

I posted the i810_drv.pet in the message above, Jon. Thanks again.

darwinev0lved

#786 Post by darwinev0lved »

playdayz wrote:I posted the i810_drv.pet in the message above, Jon. Thanks again.
No luck I'm afraid. Booting using Vesa. Installed .pet exited to prompt, started xorgwizard tried to choose but then when I hit test, got the same problem. It was using the fbdrv and not detecting the resolution and trying xwin afterwards just gives me the black screen.

Happy to try any other suggestions. I could copy across my save-file (my 501 install is safely on a separate usb drive) - if I rename it to lucisave does the upgrade process work?

JustGreg

#787 Post by JustGreg »

I tried Luci-211 and it worked. It booted up into the desktop with my Acer Aspire Revo with Nvidia Ion chip set. I installed the Nvidia 256.36 driver pet. I did find out out that you can not use the instructions that were included with the pet (i.e. use nvidia-xconfig). One has to use xorgwizard. The problem is /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not complete. It is missing at least the card and display sections.

Playdaz, if you want, I will redo the pet (with correct version number) with the correct instructions to ensure no end user confusion. Just send me a PM.

I do have a suggestion. For the initial boot into the desktop, have a general xorg.conf that uses VESA with 1024 by 768 (XVGA) resolution or 800 by 600 (VGA) resolution. The screen will look a bit distorted for most new machines, but there will be a desktop display. The user/installer can get the appropriate driver and use it for the desired resolution.

I did notice one usual item. The audio (alsa based) was low. I found that I had to increase both the headphone and PC speaker controls for an acceptable volume. This is the first time that the PC speaker control had to be increased for me. Once again, probably a hardware issue to due to the many audio card configurations.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-211

#788 Post by Billtoo »

Computer is an eeepc 701sd
did frugal install
booted directly to desktop no problem.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 211

Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
734 frames in 5.0 seconds
896 frames in 5.0 seconds
897 frames in 5.0 seconds
896 frames in 5.0 seconds
#
OpenGL
Vendor Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915GM GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
Version 1.4 Mesa 7.7.1
Direct Rendering Yes

Downloaded opera from quickpet,updated to latest opera 10.60
Youtube videos play well.
sound working,function key to adjust screen brightness working.

We're in business :)

Edit: After a reboot had to connect to the network again because the settings were lost, used Dougal's setup the second time and settings are not lost on reboot.

playdayz

#789 Post by playdayz »

I do have a suggestion. For the initial boot into the desktop, have a general xorg.conf that uses VESA with 1024 by 768 (XVGA) resolution or 800 by 600 (VGA) resolution. The screen will look a bit distorted for most new machines, but there will be a desktop display. The user/installer can get the appropriate driver and use it for the desired resolution.
JustGreg, That is exactly the approach I was planning to take in 5.2. But here is my thinking now. The Ubuntu xorg was designed to auto config, so let's let it do so--I think a goodly percentage of people will get a good desktop and not have to do anything else--well over half I am hoping, up to 2/3rds. If the Intel graphics are the only ones having the black screen then by removing fbdev they will have to boot into vesa. If they won't boot into vesa we would still have the same problem. If they will successfully boot into vesa then we are good to go. If not I have a plan for luci-213--how we can intercept the Intel and boot them to xorgwizard purely automatically. We might possibly know as soon as darwinev0lved gets luci-212.

You will also be interested in the new feature of the first run dialog--to read the card and match that with which of the 4 nvidia drivers are recommended by the tables you provided. I used those tables and got catdude's 173 nvidia driver and it worked beautifully. Quickpet also reads the video card. IMHO it would be good for all 4 drivers to be consistent--but that is not worth obsessing over--I was impressed with catdude's because it told me what to do at each step and that was right on target.

I want to study the tables to see if we could get by with 3 of the drivers, just to simplify things if possible. Thanks again for all your help.

01micko

Re: The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-211

#790 Post by 01micko »

Billtoo wrote: The glxgears frames is slower, was over 50000 with the newer driver in quickpet
but that will no longer work because 211 boots directly to the screen and
if I run xorgwizard and choose vesa the newer driver still won't work.
My other acer desktop is hopeless it seems (works in fatdog64 final) but no
way in 211.
One out of two will have to do :) I can just run fatdog64 on the other acer.

thanks.
I wonder if you try using xorgwizard>choose>nvidia would be better than running nvidia-xconfig for the newer driver, of course pfix=ram.

Works for me, I can use either driver with my geforce 8400GS, of course the later one is better.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#791 Post by playdayz »

No luck I'm afraid. Booting using Vesa. Installed .pet exited to prompt, started xorgwizard tried to choose but then when I hit test, got the same problem. It was using the fbdrv and not detecting the resolution and trying xwin afterwards just gives me the black screen.

Happy to try any other suggestions. I could copy across my save-file (my 501 install is safely on a separate usb drive) - if I rename it to lucisave does the upgrade process work?
That's what we kind of thought, that the old hidden i810 trick did not work anymore.

One thing, you could do is to delete the fbdev and then run xorgwizard and let it choose. However, I have just posted luci-212, without the fbdev, so when you get a chance, don't use pfix-nox, just let it boot and see what happens.

There is one thing that would help us a lot darwinev0lved. If you could open a temrinal and run 'lspci >> darwinsbox' it and then copy that file to a message we can see exactly which Intel card is giving the problem. Once we know that then we can intercept it before the badness happens. Thanks.

Code: Select all

# lspci >> testfile
The name of the file at the end doesn't matter (testfile, darwinsbox, etc.).
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 22:49, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#792 Post by playdayz »

Gnome mplayer is missing menu icon.
Got it in luci-212, Thanks Stu90

playdayz

#793 Post by playdayz »

The glxgears frames is slower, was over 50000 with the newer driver in quickpet
but that will no longer work because 211 boots directly to the screen and
if I run xorgwizard and choose vesa the newer driver still won't work.
My other acer desktop is hopeless it seems (works in fatdog64 final) but no
way in 211.
Good news on the triple e.

I am not sure which driver you are trying on the acers, but I had a good experience with catdude's 173.

1. I let the computer auto config, and then

2. I downloaded and installed the driver,

3. Answered a dialog box to #1, edit the device Section (of xorg.conf)

4. exited to a prompt and

5. ran xorgwizard, then

6. xwin and things were good. (Those were also catdude's instructions. exactly.)

I did not do the intermediate step you describe by running xorgwizard and choosing vesa. Wouldn't it be great if we could get all 4 drivers to work that same way.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#794 Post by James C »

FWIW, I've been testing all these Luci releases with Intel 810,815,865 and 945 onboard graphics and haven't had a problem since early in the process.Luci-211 boots straight to a desktop on all of these, on my equipment anyway.Intel has been working so well so I've been testing those tricky Nvidia's........ :lol:
Downloading 212 right now.

James C

#795 Post by James C »

Just burned Luci-212 in my XP machine, so I just rebooted while the disk was in the tray.Running live pfix=ram.Booted straight to a working display (1440x900),sound and internet connection.Installed Opera. Had no acceleration so installed Xorg_High.

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 212

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:

#

Vendor : Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
Version : 1.3 Mesa 7.7.1
Direct Rendering : Yes

# glxgears

2175 frames in 5.0 seconds
2286 frames in 5.0 seconds
2608 frames in 5.0 seconds
2695 frames in 5.0 seconds
2640 frames in 5.0 seconds

Already did a manual frugal on the old P3, but I'll be tied up for a while.....more later. :lol:

playdayz

#796 Post by playdayz »

James C,
Intel 810,815,865 and 945

And we have a report from billtoo that an i915 is working also. I wonder which aren't? Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#797 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:James C,
Intel 810,815,865 and 945

And we have a report that an i915 is working also. I wonder which aren't? Thanks.
I've got an old Dell on the shelf with 845 graphics, I'll try to hook it up tomorrow for a quick test. :)

No laptops though.................. :lol:

rjbrewer

#798 Post by rjbrewer »

On my Inspiron 700m, Intel 855gm graphics, it crashes to black
screen when reaching the X start place.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

James C

#799 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install on the old P3.

Installed Opera and Xorg_High........................

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:

#

Vendor : Keith Whitwell
Renderer : Mesa DRI i810E 20050821 x86/MMX/SSE
Version : 1.2 Mesa 7.7.1
Direct Rendering : Yes

# glxgears

1574 frames in 5.0 seconds
1456 frames in 5.0 seconds
1547 frames in 5.0 seconds
1551 frames in 5.0 seconds
1547 frames in 5.0 seconds
1511 frames in 5.0 seconds
1549 frames in 5.0 seconds
1541 frames in 5.0 seconds
1523 frames in 5.0 seconds

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-212

#800 Post by Billtoo »

Acer 1 - aspire desktop - Intel Q6600 core 2 quad - nvidia gforce 8600gt

Did frugal install

First Boot
# report-video

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:

# glxgears
bash: glxgears: command not found
#

Downloaded nvidia pet in quickpet and installed it.
Exited to prompt and ran xorgwizard.
Chose probe and ran xwin.

# report-video

Chip description:
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

# glxgears
46490 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9298.000 FPS
50926 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10185.200 FPS
46463 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9292.600 FPS
52085 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10417.000 FPS
52086 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10417.200 FPS
#
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 256.35
Direct Rendering Yes

Acer 2 - AX1200-E1651A - AMD Athon 4850e dual core - nvidia gforce 8200 + nvidia gforce 9300ge

Did frugal install

First boot
# report-video

Chip description:
product: G98 Board - 5610003u Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:

# glxgears
bash: glxgears: command not found
#
Downloaded nvidia pet in quickpet and installed it.
Exited to prompt and ran xorgwizard.
Chose probe and ran xwin.
x wouldn't start.
ran xorgwizard and chose nvidia and ran xwin
x wouldn't start
ran xorgwizard and chose vesa and ran xwin
# report-video

Chip description:
product: G98 Board - 5610003u Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:

# glxgears
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
#

It's still one out of two but one is using the new nvidia driver from quickpet.