Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gerry

#301 Post by gerry »

I set up my printer, which is connected to a networked Windows machine. Printing is excruciatingly slow.

gerry

playdayz

#302 Post by playdayz »

gnucash, Project X, TV Browser

Good going on gnucash micko--I had given it a try with my system but there were like 80MB of dependencies so I gave up.

Were you downloading Rolf's Project X and TVBrowser to make pets for us? Do I gather that those are both Java programs? That's OK, we have Java and we can say (requires Java) in the description.

I might make a couple of (requires wine) programs, foobar and exact audio copy.

I tried the kdebase-runtime which was supposed to make it easier--I think it was easier with kde3. I did get Amarok and KOffice to start but they both exited because there was a missing database ksysc, something like that. I may try again. I think the thing to do would be to install kubuntu and see if I could grab what was needed from there. I should be doing that anyway, but darn there is only so much time.

I am thinking we are ready to start aiming to release. The graphics seem to be behaving, basic and high performance, and we have a good start on enough programs in the puppy-lucid repo (we can keep adding there of course). I am happy with mplayer. It seems like the next Woof will have quite a few changes so I will wait for that and then prepare luci-205 and we can go from there to a release maybe around July 10? OpenSuse already has July 15. What I will do until then is to put Woof in the best shape I can so that we can release the Woof on the same day we release lupu-5.10.

Oh, btw, I think we will want to change programs in Quickpet in light of the new ones, so Quickpet has the programs that will be attractive to the most people?

01micko

#303 Post by 01micko »

Hi playdayz

I downloaded rhadon's offering to test, but as you know, that thing "time' got in the way! :lol:

I am also working on an obscure word processor "TeXmacs" which I compiled. It's quite interesting but still a little buggy to release, but hopefully I can squash those bugs and release for testing.
A couple of script based apps which we could include are Jemimah's "Pwireless2" and my "Startmount". I did test Pwireless2 a while back and it was fine, but I'll give it another spin in the coming days just to see if it still plays nice in Luci.

Also, Flash reported a problem with Asunder in the Puppy 5 bug thread so I recompiled it.. no feedback yet, but it works fine for me. The pet is posted there.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ecube

ComboFormat of BootFlash, Desktop Drive Icons

#304 Post by ecube »

The ComboFormat of BootFlash needs 134MB in the boot partion instead of 128MB. I enclose a modified version of /usr/sbin/bootflash which seems to work for luci-204.

For a locale using decimal comma instead of decimal point the size of the Desktop Drive Icons is displayed as 0 bytes.
A simple fix is to replace #!/bin/ash by #!/bin/bash on the first line of /sbin/pup_event_frontend.
:D
ecube
Attachments
bootflash.gz
modified bootflash script, 128MB increased to 134MB
(7.2 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

Minnesota

database

#305 Post by Minnesota »

If you are going to get kde to run... can you look at kexi...hope it is not to big. I would love to try this as an alternative to access. Anyone with any experience with it? I have many applications in access I would love to port over. Puppy sure could use a good database with front end that is easy to use.
Thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#306 Post by Lobster »

Databases considered for Puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 295#118295

Glom is probably the easiest and available from Ubuntu for Lucid
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#307 Post by 01micko »

Aha! Found a bug...

binutils needs to be upgraded.. I was compiling the last dep for Netsurf and it wouldn't compile

Code: Select all

Error: unknown pseudo-op: `.cfi_sections'
I scratched my head and wondered where I had seen that.. then I did a google and it turned up my post on BK's blog about compiling the kerne!. It's a bug in the old binutils. I upgraded to the Quirky 2.20 version and the kernel compiled.. so did librosprite... all to no avail because I already had it!!! :oops: :roll:

Well at least the bug is out :lol:

Cheers.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Major Edit

Netsurf compiled fine, and it might even run CUPS. I just tried but I'm trying to connect over SMB and wireless, the worst possible scenario! It almost worked. Can see windows box fine, and printer, but wouldn't print. BUT, I may have got the path wrong. Nevertheless, cups was running.

Also, no dependencies are needed, but they were probably dragged in in the WOOF build. I'll just post the pet.

specs: netsurf-Lucid-2.5-i486|netsurf-Lucid|2.5-i486||Internet|1572K||netsurf-Lucid-2.5-i486.pet||Small Web Browser|ubuntu|lucid||

See attached. (edit: recompiled PREFIX=/usr)
Attachments
netsurf.jpg
(38.92 KiB) Downloaded 1185 times
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 24 Jun 2010, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

gjuhasz

#308 Post by gjuhasz »

playdayz wrote: Here is a set of video test samples that I used to check MPlayer ->
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/s ... ectest.zip
01micko wrote:... let me know what else is missing.
Lupu-501/Luci-204 cannot play sound from a couple of common video formats recorded with mobile phones, such as 3gp or mp4. Links to samples:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-f58c1bfc.html
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-6a3361ae.html

Note that Quirky-120 plays the sound well for both.

01micko

#309 Post by 01micko »

OK, we can try this Version of Quickpet in the next Luci ... or before. It includes the fixed gtkdialog-splash script, BK broke it when he did the last Woof, he fixed it, but too late. Oh well.

It can fetch from either Lucid folder on ibilio plus it's mirrors and includes the nvidia-glx package, guess it should have the intel/radeon package too, forgot about that. :oops:

Try it out, switch around repos, I tried different repos whith chromium-6, but not all, oh yeah, be aware that it is chomium-6 now.

There are many locales added too, but it does need a slight update. Treat this version as "beta".

Cheers
Attachments
quickpet-2.2.pet
(93.05 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

Minnesota

Thanks

#310 Post by Minnesota »

Lobster:

Not to think I missed the post, or forgot... been playing with W version of Portabase... personally would like something much more robust however this version would make a great addition to Puppy, as part of Puppy or at the very least a pet.

Thanks.

prehistoric

found cause of race in cpu frequency setting

#311 Post by prehistoric »

This one was driving me bonkers.

We did have a race between two different versions of cpu frequency scaling. There was a version by BK and pakt started in /etc/rc.d/init.d which does not cover AMD processors. This was not present in Stardust13, where trio's version works for me.

After I removed this, and the script in /root/Startup/start_cpu_freq from luci 204, and rebooted, calling trio's version tells me cpu frequency scaling is not running. It still complains that the AMD powernow k8 module is not compatible, but when I check, after trying to activate it, I find it is activated.

There is still a bug which stops it from writing the script in Startup, but at least finding this won't make you crazy. An alternative fix is to remove trio's version, until we get it debugged, and add a case to the bk and pakt version for AMD.

8-bit

#312 Post by 8-bit »

When using Puppy Package Manager, and selecting the site to download a pet from for installation, I have found that the TEST button will check if the requested pet is available from a download site.
I just thought I would pass that along.
Also, some pets seem to be unavailable and the installation errors out even though the script goes on to tell you the pet package has been installed.

8-bit

#313 Post by 8-bit »

I booted Luci-204 with pfix=ram and the best and easiest install of an Nvidia driver I have found is one made by CatDude to be found in the Additional Software section of the forum under Drivers.
It has popup windows to guide you along, and after the pet is installed, all you have to do is exit to prompt, run xorgwizard, and then type xwin and you are done.
The pet includes nvidia-settings and glxgears.
And it does work with Luci-204.

There are so many Nvidia pets floating around now that I thought I would pass this info along.

prehistoric

hack for cpu freq scaling

#314 Post by prehistoric »

Here's a temporary fix for trio's cpu frequency scaling in luci 204. It works for me, but other people need to test. This is not a great solution.

The problem is caused by a WARNING message.

# modprobe powernow_k8
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
Somebody else will have to decide about where we want modprobe.conf.

In the meantime, we can cause it to ignore warnings that don't cause system errors by changing the third line line below in cpu_func (first two lines just quoted to show context)

MODULE=`echo $MODULES | awk '{print $1}'`
modprobe $MODULE 2> /tmp/modprobe_module.tmp 
if [ ! "`cat /tmp/modprobe_module.tmp `" ] ; then
to

if [ ! "`cat /tmp/modprobe_module.tmp| grep -v 'WARNING' `" ] ; then
which will delete mere warnings.

Others should check that we haven't had a change in module names for various other processors.

playdayz

#315 Post by playdayz »

01micko, Netsurf 2.5 won't do Cups. It loses it on the Adminsitration page where it won't do the pull down menus. No big surprise.

I was just writing a message that I kind of liked it--it works for the forums, but not youtube, then it crashed, but maybe that's when I tried youtube. More info, not very good ons electing text however.

Just to check, the libraries from 1.2 were identical with the ones for 2.5?
Somebody else will have to decide about where we want modprobe.conf.

In the meantime, we can cause it to ignore warnings that don't cause system errors by changing the third line line below in cpu_func (first two lines just quoted to show context)
prehistoric, you have that good old sticktoitiveness. I will try that in luci-205 which I am building now for later today or tomorrow. Thanks a million. And on the modprobe location, that would be Barry; we could make a real mess trying to do it ourselves, I think at least.

Your fix worked for me, using powernowK8 in luci-205pre. Thanks. That is really worth having--it lowers temps from high 40's to high 30's.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 24 Jun 2010, 20:18, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#316 Post by playdayz »

For a locale using decimal comma instead of decimal point the size of the Desktop Drive Icons is displayed as 0 bytes.
A simple fix is to replace #!/bin/ash by #!/bin/bash on the first line of /sbin pup_event_frontend.
ecube, I think Barry got that one in this latest Woof--which will show up in luci-205 later today or tomorrow. It is good to have a fix--it has been killing Beem ;-)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#317 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:
A simple fix is to replace #!/bin/ash by #!/bin/bash on the first line of /sbin pup_event_frontend.
ecube, I think Barry got that one in this latest Woof--which will show up in luci-205 later today or tomorrow. It is good to have a fix--it has been killing Beem ;-)
Not any more. :wink: Applied in Lucid 203 now.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#318 Post by 01micko »

01micko, Netsurf 2.5 won't do Cups. It loses it on the Adminsitration page where it won't do the pull down menus. No big surprise
Yes it does, I tried, in a pfix=ram install.

It just doesn't render the little drop down arrows, I configured my printer with it, as stated.

See screeny

Cheers
Attachments
pulldowns.png
(34.35 KiB) Downloaded 1259 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#319 Post by Béèm »

01micko wrote:
01micko, Netsurf 2.5 won't do Cups. It loses it on the Adminsitration page where it won't do the pull down menus. No big surprise
Yes it does, I tried, in a pfix=ram install.

It just doesn't render the little drop down arrows, I configured my printer with it, as stated.

See screeny

Cheers
I can confirm it does the pull-down
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Jim1911

#320 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:OK, we can try this Version of Quickpet in the next Luci ... or before. It includes the fixed gtkdialog-splash script, BK broke it when he did the last Woof, he fixed it, but too late. Oh well.

It can fetch from either Lucid folder on ibilio plus it's mirrors and includes the nvidia-glx package, guess it should have the intel/radeon package too, forgot about that. :oops:

Try it out, switch around repos, I tried different repos whith chromium-6, but not all, oh yeah, be aware that it is chomium-6 now.

There are many locales added too, but it does need a slight update. Treat this version as "beta".

Cheers
Looks good, however, you should replace dejan555's sfs version of Amarok with your version. The one linked works in 5.01 but doesn't work in luci versions.

Jim