Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#31 Post by playdayz »

Not to mention that only the main SFS runs in RAM.
The filesystem also should be in ram?
]

cthisbear

#32 Post by cthisbear »

I don't know if this has been mentioned.

I can run an ISO movie in Quirky 1.1 if I set the run action
and drag the media icon into it.

As far as I remember Lucid won't do that.

VLC runs ISO movies if you want to check it out.

I can't remember what Barry is using now.

Chris.

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

gparted is working properly, displaying uuids here.
one thing different is that i dropped in /sbin/blkid obtained from elsewhere.
anyone with quirky could copy its /sbin/blkid to /sbin. it might help gparted.
I dropped in /sbin/blkid from Quirky 018. Where am i supposed to see the uuids?

Got it, right-click -> Information.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 22 May 2010, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#34 Post by jemimah »

playdayz wrote:
Not to mention that only the main SFS runs in RAM.
The filesystem also should be in ram?
Well, open programs and files are copied to ram by the operating system so they can run, but they live on disk in your save file unless they are in the main sfs. For instance opening a browser that you installed as a pet might take longer than one that's in the SFS, because the files are copied from the disk instead of from the ramdisk.

The main sfs is only copied to ram if the init scripts decide it is on "fast media" such as an HD. Normally if you're running from usb, it is not copied, except if you haven't created a save file. There is an option to force it to get copied.

So, for best performance, and smallest install size, you want to pack as much into the sfs as possible, but the bigger you make it, the more RAM is going to be required to run it. Add-on SFS files are not copied to RAM, but at least you still get the space benefits of compression.

My Ramboot code does copy all the SFS files and the save file to RAM. My goal in writing the code was to make it possible to shut down the hard disks to save power.

But the problem has been how to copy the save file back down to disk if you can't cleanly unmount it. Patriot just posted some code that may have solved this problem for me. I'll be testing the new shutdown script soon!

01micko

#35 Post by 01micko »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 601#420601

Translate Quickpet HERE

Have fun guys :)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pa_mcclamrock

#36 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

01micko wrote:Now, i've only used abi and Writer (OOorg). Can we get hold of that one you like..is it Softmaker?
The freely available .PET for TextMaker 2002, about 3.6 MB, is in the Puppy 3 repository, and also here: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/textmaker-2002_full.pet . Actually, I usually use TextMaker 2010 (in the SoftMaker Office 2010 package)--but unfortunately that's not available for free, and it's a lot more than 3.6 MB!
What other WPs will be suited?
If it's a Word Processor/Desktop Publisher Installer, it could include Scribus, which (like any DTP program) can be used as a word processor. There's also Kword, for those who want their little Puppy to wag a massive KDE tail (although I don't know if it would be any more massive than OO Writer).
While we're at it, what about spread sheets?
I hardly ever use them, so I don't know if Gnumeric has faults as bad as AbiWord's faults or not, and I don't know how OO Calc compares. There is a package for an old version of PlanMaker, the companion to TextMaker, in the Puppy 3 repository, but I think it may have limited functionality.
We do need to be careful what we take out, there are those that are still on dialup and those who don't even have net access
Yes--but, if they need to buy Puppy CDs, it would be possible to include a lot of extra .PETs on the CDs for optional installation. :)
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

Iguleder

#37 Post by Iguleder »

There's some serious hole in Quickpet - Puppy is a distro for old hardware that does not offer an easy way to install drivers for older GPUs. Quickpet should offer all the nvidia drivers and not just the 195 series.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Jim1911

#38 Post by Jim1911 »

Consider updating the remaster-script to match the features of the Japanese version of 431 which I believe is the only one available that fetches from a directory, a mounted iso and a CD. Dougal's script does also and works, but needs update because the resulting iso has to have some minor edits for it to work with the latest derivatives because of some syntax changes. The current script in lupu will fetch needed files from a mounted iso, but not a directory.

Thanks,
Jim

playdayz

#39 Post by playdayz »

My Ramboot code does copy all the SFS files and the save file to RAM. My goal in writing the code was to make it possible to shut down the hard disks to save power.
And am I right, this is also basically what a DVD Multi-session does???

I would like to have a similar option as this in LP 5.1.

01micko

#40 Post by 01micko »

cthisbear wrote: I can't remember what Barry is using now.

Chris.
You sound like Bondy mate!

He's using gnome mplayer at the moment but experimenting for Q-1.2

The difference now is that Lupu has a different set of base libraries so anything Barry does for Quirky is not likely to work in Lupu.

We need to compile stuff for Lupu as the native Ubuntu stuff is just too big.

Ffmpeg is the key, especially with the exciting new developments of Html5 and WebM/Vp8 ..all mumbo jumbo to me at the moment but I'll try to get a handle on it.

As Lupu matures so will the developer base, I think the 501 follow up is going to be the key. Not just that it will work for more, but that it shows that we listen and act.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

cthisbear

#41 Post by cthisbear »

01micko :

You have all done a great job on this release.
It can only get better.

Chris.

Abnormalter

It's very bad idea to save file OR/AND SFS runs in RAM!

#42 Post by Abnormalter »

Oh my God!
Guys, do not spoiling something that is very well was be done originally designed by Barry!
And the idea as only "the main SFS runs in RAM" it's bad idea too.
The current model of layered file system, which uses the first working release the puppy and to this day, this is the right way! And remember: "best is enemy of good"! (c)
I believe that very well to skipping to developers it mind strives for innovations questionable ideas, and would be better idea to the top target for team Pappy carefully designed to usability of its OS, and certainly not forgetting the work on the bugs.
That's right, if only because Lucid Puppy 5 project showed these circumstances in the most eloquent form... And just I have no strength and words to creating short even of list the Puppy' foolishness and mistakes that were made by the project Lucid Puppy 5 developers! :(
IMHO it would be best and this is my humble suggestion and it's my wishing for the Project Team.

Iguleder

#43 Post by Iguleder »

Here's a new Viewnior for Lupu, 5 KB smaller than the old one, before stripping :D
Attachments
viewnior.png
(37.43 KiB) Downloaded 2396 times
viewnior-0.7-lupu.pet
(65.66 KiB) Downloaded 1129 times
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

zenfunk

#44 Post by zenfunk »

First of all: Congratulations on Lupu- a big step ahead for Puppy.
Anyways- as allways- here are my suggestions for further improvement:

Why on earth would you have just an other beta quality packet manager. I mean you finally managed to work out how to tap into the vast ubuntu repositories- every program that was made by man at your fingertips and now you go ahead and invent quickpet.
I know it is nice and cool to tinker- coding, petmaking etc. and this alone is reason enough to do it, but I don't think you do the Lupu concept any good.

Why not improve the puppy packet manager, iron out the rough edges and have a comfortable interface which alows you to get rid of pets altogether :shock: .
One of my long standing complaints about puppy was the lack of a packet manager that does what it's name says and has access to a big, concise repository of quality programs. Right now you are halfway there - and you seem to throw it all over board.

Of course pets will be needed in the future even ubuntu and debian won't get it right all the time and it is nice to have those quick to install "fixmysystemup"- pets, but I don't see the advantage of a quickpet- installed firefox over one from the ubuntu repos- and don't tell me that the 5 MB which are saved in the size of the binary are worth the effort in times where you have gigabytes of RAM and HD space.

Also, I think you don't take full advantage of the ubuntu repositories. Most of the programs in your (pretty cluttered) start menu areeasily installable from the repos- so there is no need to have several versions of everything (filefinder, cd burners and whatnot) have one gui program and probably a cli equivalent (which doesn't need to be in the menu at all). The rest is up to the user to install.

Nevertheless, congratulations again on your first versions of Lupu- it is a great start so far and I'm all curious where the development will take it.

Cheers,
Christian

playdayz

#45 Post by playdayz »

I just posted the first development release for Lucid Puppy 5.1 in the first message of this thread. Thanks.

Jim1911

#46 Post by Jim1911 »

Sorry,

There is a serious problem with the shutdown menu. When I tried to restartX or reboot, the menu bar disappeared, desktop would not respond to any keys or mouse movement.

After discovering above I added the code nomodeset that tazoc suggested to solve a black screen problem with his new Lighthouse 5.0 that uses the same kernel. It did change the symptoms in Lucid, restartx takes you to the xorg probe window so video is set up again and the shutdown menu did a proper reboot. Maybe that will give you a clue.

Cheers,
Jim

playdayz

#47 Post by playdayz »

It did change the symptoms in Lucid, restartx takes you to the xorg probe window so video is set up again and the shutdown menu did a proper reboot. Maybe that will give you a clue.
Don't worry Jim; things are supposed to be broken! The nomodeset sounds like it made it behave as it should. Since it (xwin) always checks to see if there is a complete xorg.conf, and there never is, then it will go to xorgwizard (Probe) every time X is restarted. Thanks.

Yes, that is a clue. My radeon behaves just like that, but without the nomodeset. What video is in that machine please?

James C

#48 Post by James C »

Quick live test of latest Luci 200 development release in the machine with onboard Prosavage graphics, xorgwizard and probe went directly to the correct 1024x768x24 screen resolution. :)

Will do a frugal install a bit later.

Jim1911

#49 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:
It did change the symptoms in Lucid, restartx takes you to the xorg probe window so video is set up again and the shutdown menu did a proper reboot. Maybe that will give you a clue.
Don't worry Jim; things are supposed to be broken! The nomodeset sounds like it made it behave as it should. Since it (xwin) always checks to see if there is a complete xorg.conf, and there never is, then it will go to xorgwizard (Probe) every time X is restarted. Thanks.

Yes, that is a clue. My radeon behaves just like that, but without the nomodeset. What video is in that machine please?
Yes, that's the purpose of testing. Hope this helped.
System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#50 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
playdayz wrote:I would like to see a "KDE/QT" base option in Quickpet that would enable various KDE/QT programs. That is, once installing the "base" then programs such as Amarok, K3b, and K-Office could be downloaded and run. As I understand it, KDE4 is built with this in mind, offering a "kde-runtime" that is basically the base I mentioned
.Are you aware of KDPUP?
@playdayz,
I would appreciate your comments on this.
Thank you.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]