Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
WhoDo

Re: Geany occupies both Workspaces?

#1471 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:
WhoDo wrote:
peebee wrote:Using IceWM which is very smart...

Not sure if this is expected or unexpected behaviour but Geany when run gets displayed in both workspaces.......
Yep. Expected behaviour. In the file /usr/share/icewm/winoptions change the following line:

Code: Select all

geany.allWorkspaces: 1
to

geany.allWorkspaces: 0
Hope that helps.
Should we have that as default behaviour?
Your call.

What it does is to ensure that if the user scrolls the mouse in the wrong place accidentally(or maybe deliberately for power users) they won't lose their Geany program window - remember scrolling also changes workspaces (and rolls up windows) depending on where the cursor is when the scroll action is initiated.

Maybe it would be a good thing to make sure they know they have switched workspaces; I don't know. Open for comments from users either way. Would new users even be using Geany? Probably not, but you never know.

There is also an argument that we should only have 1 workspace by default for Windows refugees, but I think that one holds much less water. Linux isn't Windows and refugees need to adapt to that, a little at a time of course.

HTH
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Stripe

#1472 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

No matter what I do (alsa sound wizard, alsa mixer) 508 still recognises my nvidia graphics card as the default sound card, changed it with the alsa sound wizard, it is ok for that session but reverts to the nvidia as default after reboot. have tried all available nvidia drivers that will work with my card but no difference,
Any help would be greatly welcome.

Cheers
Stripe

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1473 Post by BarryK »

sinc wrote:puppyinstaller is not identifying my partition fs correctly.

i ran the installer again and got the same message as i posted above.
Hmmm, I wonder. There are various ways that the scripts in Puppy detect the filesystem of a partition. Try all of these in a terminal:

# guess_fstype /dev/sda3
# probepart
# disktype /dev/sda3
Do any of those misreport the f.s.?

But, if the f.s. was misreported, then it would have shown up in one of the dialog boxes when you ran the Puppy Installer. Is that possible and you didn't notice it?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

scsijon

#1474 Post by scsijon »

report from me on 508
- Video problems are still the same as 507, with the exceptions of doing a ctrl-alt-backspace now brings me to a white screen, a C-A-Del does nothing from here where as in 507 it at least shutdown/rebooted

- quickpet still giving timeout via enet and satellite, ok via ppm though..

- noticed a screen width problem, that may be of interest. Easily visable on the bottom bar, with a crt monitor there is no background pixel to the right of the M of am/pm, I changed it over to a lcd screen from another box I was repairing and the pixels are there. It looks like something in 508 has reduced the column-pixelcount by one as it's ok with 506.

However i'm sticking with 506 for now, although I do like the new drive icons, now if they could just "glow" green when a drive is mounted and a red light flashes on them when data is transfering, they would be perfect.

regards
scsijon

01micko

#1475 Post by 01micko »

# guess_fstype /dev/sda3 
ext4
# probepart 
/dev/sda1|ext3|20482812
/dev/sda2|ext3|20482874
/dev/sda3|ext4|20482874
/dev/sda4|none|2
/dev/sda5|ext3|51199092
/dev/sda6|ext3|71681966
/dev/sda7|ext3|63488816
/dev/sda8|ext3|64757952
/dev/sdb|none|0
/dev/sdc|none|0
/dev/sr0|iso9660|265492
# disktype /dev/sda3

--- /dev/sda3
Block device, size 9.767 GiB (10487232000 bytes)
Ext3 file system
  UUID 37478B33-8CFB-4A80-86B7-BAABD9506362 (DCE, v4)
  Last mounted at "/mnt/sda3"
  Volume size 9.767 GiB (10487230464 bytes, 2560359 blocks of 4 KiB)

# 
looks like disktype is misreporting...

....and cfdisk

cfdisk (util-linux 2.13-pre7)

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
                       Size: 160041885696 bytes, 160.0 GB
             Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 19457

Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type          [Label]        Size (MB)
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sda1                    Primary   Linux ext3       [OLPCRoot]      10487.24 
    sda2                    Primary   Linux ext3                       10487.24
    sda3                    Primary   Linux ext3                       10487.24
    sda5                    Logical   Linux ext3                       26213.97
    sda6                    Logical   Linux ext3                       36701.20
    sda7                    Logical   Linux ext3                       32506.31
    sda8                    Logical   Linux ext3                       33156.11

[Bootable]  [ Delete ]  [  Help  ]  [Maximize]  [ Print  ]
     [  Quit  ]  [  Type  ]  [ Units  ]  [ Write  ]

Toggle bootable flag of the current partition
my sda3 is my Mandriva partition on this box.

HTH

Cheers

EDIT

I just dropped in the disktype exec from spup 040.. which incidentally was in /usr/sbin... in lupu it's in /usr/bin ( seems like an ubuntoo bug :wink: .. either that or legacy) and I got the correct report..

# disktype /dev/sda3

--- /dev/sda3
Block device, size 9.767 GiB (10487232000 bytes)
Ext4 file system
  UUID 37478B33-8CFB-4A80-86B7-BAABD9506362 (DCE, v4)
  Last mounted at "/mnt/sda3"
  Volume size 9.767 GiB (10487230464 bytes, 2560359 blocks of 4 KiB)
If anyone wants to test I'll attach the executable.. untar it and plonk in /usr/bin

Cheers

EDIT 2

erm.. our disktype executable was from the stone age.. 2006 :roll: :lol: ... ah well ..that's why we have testing and can offer a good OS when we release! Thanks folks for the heads up, playdayz, myself and all the other contributors didn't catch everything.. and thanks BarryK for taking time out of your family time to give us a hand.

I just performed a full install to an ext4 partition, grub included and it went flawlessly with the executable attached.

Note: different machine used from original report

EDIT 3... weird .. if you see screeny disktype still repors ext3, but it's definitely ext4, made in gparted, only last weekend. Report was correct on my other machine, similar age machine.
Attachments
full-install.jpg
later screencap
(129.73 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
disktype-lupu-test-1.tar.gz
put in /usr/bin
(41.76 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 12:34, edited 3 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#1476 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

update on sound
Now trying to install nvidia's own driver 256.44 but it cannot find the kernel source when trying to install. (devx.508.sfs is loaded at boot up)
After spending 4 days solid on trying to get the sound working consistantly I give up

Stripe
Last edited by Stripe on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

wayne128

#1477 Post by wayne128 »

i just tried out Lupu508beta and has two issues:

1. java plugins from the .pet, although installation is complete, but it does not appear in firefox's Addons and thus java does not run on websites that required it.
this was tested for two old laptops, both have same issue

2. on desktop with broadcom gigabit NIC, although the ethernet can pick up tg3 driver but it cannot load the driver. a few tries ended up the same problem, so on this desktop i could not get internet access.

hope someone can help point to me how to get java and tg3 driver issue resolved.

thanks a lot

01micko

#1478 Post by 01micko »

Stripe

To install nVidia driver from nVidias site you need the kernel source sfs loaded. Let me know if this helps. (ignore the errors and keep going :wink: during the installer)

wayne128

try this jre pet. Be aware that this one uses over 100MB of your pupsave once installed.

As for broadcom.. they are very linux unfriendly, though the next kernel may well fix your issue. Sorry but that's the best I can come up with for now. Perhaps, if there is source for the module you need, a kernel module could be compiled and made available. I'll look into the issue, an ID number of your hardware can be obtained by running "lspci".

(usual usr.. password.. p*pp* --- l*n*x :wink: )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#1479 Post by peebee »

WhoDo wrote:
01micko wrote:
WhoDo wrote: Yep. Expected behaviour.
Hope that helps.
Should we have that as default behaviour?
Your call.

What it does is to ensure that if the user scrolls the mouse in the wrong place accidentally(or maybe deliberately for power users) they won't lose their Geany program window - remember scrolling also changes workspaces (and rolls up windows) depending on where the cursor is when the scroll action is initiated.

Maybe it would be a good thing to make sure they know they have switched workspaces; I don't know. Open for comments from users either way. Would new users even be using Geany? Probably not, but you never know.

There is also an argument that we should only have 1 workspace by default for Windows refugees, but I think that one holds much less water. Linux isn't Windows and refugees need to adapt to that, a little at a time of course.

HTH
Geany is on the desktop and is the default editor for all .txt files so it gets used a lot I would suggest.

Don't know if I fit into the typical target audience for Puppy but default behaviour that is the same as all other programs gets my vote rather than different behaviour - I guess that why I posted the query....

Cheers
Peter

edoc

#1480 Post by edoc »

peebee wrote:
WhoDo wrote: What it does is to ensure that if the user scrolls the mouse in the wrong place accidentally(or maybe deliberately for power users) they won't lose their Geany program window - remember scrolling also changes workspaces (and rolls up windows) depending on where the cursor is when the scroll action is initiated.

HTH
Geany is on the desktop and is the default editor for all .txt files so it gets used a lot I would suggest.

Don't know if I fit into the typical target audience for Puppy but default behaviour that is the same as all other programs gets my vote rather than different behaviour - I guess that why I posted the query....

Cheers
Peter
I use Geany a lot for quick HTML edits and simple text files, e.g. a to-do list or some text cut out of another document that I want to save quickly.

It would be helpful to have a flag pop-up which signals a change of workspaces.

NicoEdit is real handy for stripping-out weird codes, esp. from Web sources; Geany often does not strip them - it needs a "Default Formatting" option like OpenOffice Writer.

IMHO, YMMV ... ;-)
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

scruffy

Lupu 508 sound

#1481 Post by scruffy »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

update on sound
Now trying to install nvidia's own driver 256.44 but it cannot find the kernel source when trying to install. (devx.508.sfs is loaded at boot up)
After spending 4 days solid on trying to get the sound working consistantly I give up

Stripe
Hi Stripe,
this is probably a total red herring but have you tried disabling auto sound detection in BIOS. It could be trying to use onboard sound.
In my BIOS I go to 'integrated peripherals' ->onboard device -> audio and then disable. Worth a try if you haven't done so already.

Iguleder

#1482 Post by Iguleder »

Problems on my Eee 1001PX, the synaptics module is not loaded and the eeepc-extras module is there but still not loaded for some reason.

Can't configure my touchpad, crazy scrolling, it's very sensitive ... and no hotkeys.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Stripe

#1483 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

downloaded and installed source code sfs to a clean frugal install, ran nvidia installer, ignored errors

failed to exicute "/sbin/depmod -sh" : sbin/depmod: invalid option--"q"
BusyBox v1.16.2 (2010-06-19 18:02:46 GMT-8) multi call binary

Driver installed and saved details to xorg.conf but when I tried to load it was replaced with vesa when running test screen.
The driver 256.44 is an update to 256.35 which I have instaled on another instance of 508 and is suffering from the loss of sound problems.

Looks like the system is finding the sound chip on the graphics card and installing that as the default soundcard. rather than the on board sound card.
cannot find any options in nvidia to correct this as it seems that it is the nvidia driver telling the system to use this chip as default.

Nothing in the bios to choose what to use as default soundcard.

Alsa wizard will let me choose and use the sis onboard sound, but as soon as the system is rebooted it reverts to using the Graphics card sound chip.

Using the standard NV driver does not suffer from this problem but is not using the graphics card fully as mplayer will not play full screen and the video quality on vlc is not as good.

But am sticking with this for the moment as at least I have sound.

But could I blacklist the nvidia sound chip?

Thanks 01micko
Stripe
Last edited by Stripe on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 15:25, edited 2 times in total.

DaveS

#1484 Post by DaveS »

Iguleder wrote:Problems on my Eee 1001PX, the synaptics module is not loaded and the eeepc-extras module is there but still not loaded for some reason.

Can't configure my touchpad, crazy scrolling, it's very sensitive ... and no hotkeys.
Iguleder, I posted a hotkey fix here, but I think it got missed http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 113#439113
With the touchpad, configure it using the flsynclient app in the menus. You have to enable tapping by increasing the 'taptime' element in the GUI. You can also configure scrolling there, but when you have finished, go into /root/.flsynclient/ and look for the clickfinger entries. Set them all to 1, re-start, and all should be ok.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

fyujj

#1485 Post by fyujj »

Now, just saying that shinobar's Countrywizard worked great for the keyboard layout setting without affecting the automatic video setup that was fine from the start.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58312
Also i forgot to mention that it was nice to see the automatic eth0 setup as well.

fyujj

#1486 Post by fyujj »

I set my locale to pt_BR (Portuguese/Brazil) and the application entries are in pt_BR but the system entries are in an Eastern European language (both with and without UTF-8 enabled).
Attachments
mixed_locale.png
Application specific entries in Portuguese and system-wide entries in another language.
(51.76 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Last edited by fyujj on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 15:32, edited 2 times in total.

fyujj

#1487 Post by fyujj »

double-post
Attachments
mixed_locale.png
(51.76 KiB) Downloaded 361 times

fyujj

#1488 Post by fyujj »

Ok, I fixed that by copying some .mo files I had from a Debian installation. This must be the GTK localization so I'll try to pick which was the right file and then I post again or edit this post.
(of course you guys that are building this may know and get it from Ubuntu 10.04 directly)

-edit: /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo is the file. I have no idea why it originally used an eastern European language as the fallback.

Also as Lupu doesn't come with much localized files, is there a .pet or something that fetches all the localization files for the default applications that come in the live-CD?
-edit2: I just noted that the translation worked with some older .mo files I had online but not with newer ones (I tested with the gtk20.mo and wget.mo files) so maybe it's important that the translation files match with the application versions.
Last edited by fyujj on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

fyujj

#1489 Post by fyujj »

One can open ROX-Filer from within Firefox's/Seamonkey's download manager window if one has a "roxuri" file for that, as explained in http://antix.freeforums.org/post13477.h ... uri#p13477
I know FF/SM aren't the default browsers in Lupu but maybe the devs would be interested in adding a /usr/local/bin/roxuri.

sinc

#1490 Post by sinc »

sorry to be lazy and not run all the tests requested of me but I see that Mick has done it and I installed the file he attached and that fixed the issue with PUI not installing to the ext4 partition. after placing that one file, it was fixed.

i still can't boot on the ext4 partition but i think thats grubs fault. i am using the grub from 421 and really prefer the nice boot screen but all the files installed to the correct partition now.

sorry if thats being lazy, let me know if you would still prefer i run the requested tests. thank all you guys for your tireless efforts.

And if I may...one other thing, is it possible to have the volume control in the taskbar control the volume with headsets in? Or should i not worry about it?