Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
willem1940NLD

#1426 Post by willem1940NLD »

Downloaded 508 B3.... will try out if this works (even) more pleasantly than 501 which I have been playing with since over a month.

KDE .... rather not, I know that from other distros; maybe technically "quick" but slowing down the USER, loss of manspeed, 2-3 different filebrowsers, still never found out how to set "view" to default "detailed".

Still hoping sooner or later some of you technicians will produce a distro based on no other browsers than Firefox/firefly and with VLC as only mediaplayer. Also: all "open with" functions leading to menu list items only, not "try something via file system".

Ray MK

#1427 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Luvly Puppy - looks good, feels fast and seems to work ok.
The work you have all done to produce this cannot be praised enough.

A suggestion to assist low spec, ram challenged users, if I may -

I use JRB's sfs loader with lupu and many other puppies all the time and it is incredibly useful when running live (ie no save_file), even when only 128mb ram is available.

It allows one to load and unload sfs's on the fly, (no boot or reboot reqd)
just load, unload - so easy.

And - it seems to have no limit on the quantity of sfs's that can be loaded
at any one time - fantastic.

If you would consider including this in your final - I believe many would find
it so useful.

To my knowledge - this amazing feature is unique to Puppy.

Might even be the small something that makes this new puppy the No1 chartbuster.

Hope you will consider it and many thanks for a SUPER puppy.

Very best regards - Ray.

tronkel

MUTT email client

#1428 Post by tronkel »

I've been having a go with installing the MUTT console email client in Lupu 506 after having gotten it to work in Linux Mint 9.

It works very well in Lupu - it's fast. I installed it from Lupu's package manager. The required dependencies were not correctly picked up by the package manager install system, but by ferreting around a bit on the internet, I found out what was missing.

Command-line stuff is not for all Puppy users by any means, but If you have a Gmail IMAP account, MUTT can access this directly without the usual need for MUTT to have to operate in tandem with say Sendmail or Fetch-Mail, so might be useful to certain users.

MUTT also supports PGP encryption via GNUPG.

If there is any interest in this, I'll try to get it packaged up together with the necessary template configuration file in the form of a pet package. This could be made available either from within Quickpet (as a Thunderbird/Enigmail alternative maybe), or simply kept as a stand-alone pet.

I believe that a dotpup exists somewhere for MUTT. No idea if it still works with say Lupu or Quirky.
Last edited by tronkel on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1429 Post by Lobster »

The running from CD Ethernet connection (508 beta3)
was working persistently in 507
Now I have to reconnect to the Internet each time I boot up
from my install (ie. created a fresh 508
connects to Ethernet - hooray
turn off machine
need to reconnect
close down turn off
boot up - again need to reconnect)

What has been changed?

Pupradio and PupTV
seemed to work OK with broadband (full screen)

Still problems with last two icons in inkscape lite (duplicated)

Still unable to record sound from mhwavedit with USB

Look forward to new surprises :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

chrismt

Full Install Failure

#1430 Post by chrismt »

Lupu-508 Beta 3 Full Install Report

I have Windows XP in sda1, and Dpup in sda4

I tried to install Lupu latest on my sda3

It took a very unstable process to do a full install

I also installed Grub on sda4

When I rebooted the PC,

I got a Kernel error

It showed not syncing, init not found,try init=option in the kernal

While I was installing, it didn't detect ext4 as ext4

It showed them all as ext3

Can someone help me?

playdayz

#1431 Post by playdayz »

was working persistently in 507
Now I have to reconnect to the Internet each time I boot up
from my install (ie. created a fresh 508
connects to Ethernet - hooray
turn off machine
need to reconnect
close down turn off
boot up - again need to reconnect)

What has been changed?
<add> Oh wait. Didn't SNS run automatically in 507? Did it run automatically in 508? I am working on 509 at the moment and I changed that because it seemed like too many windows popping open. I might reconsider depending on the new rc.network.

I don't know--nothing was changed intentionally that should have that effect. Barry has new rc.network that is designed to fix this problem of not reconnecting--except it does not connect automatically to ethernet--that may be an omission--it will appear in lupu-509 on Thursday.

Thanks.

On mhwaveedit--you did follow the instructions earlier in his forum--I will try to get the link.
Still problems with last two icons in inkscape lite (duplicated)
I see. We will let that one ride unless you have a fix ;-)
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#1432 Post by playdayz »

MUTT also supports PGP encryption via GNUPG.

If there is any interest in this, I'll try to get it packaged up together with the necessary template configuration file in the form of a pet package. This could be made available either from within Quickpet (as a Thunderbird/Enigmail alternative maybe), or simply kept as a stand-alone pet.
Yes please tronkel. It would go in the puppy-lucid repo of PPM--that is what people see when they open PPM. Thanks. If it turned out to be problematic in PPM there will be a list of pets in the Lupu News section of Quickpet.

playdayz

#1433 Post by playdayz »

Just downloaded and installed "Eudora" from the ppm and it is showing a list of missing dependencies
Hey stripe, That is an anomaly in PPM. The dependencies are there but PPM doesn't look for them in the right place. I may put programs that have this problem in a separate list so that people do not see the error message even if it is wrong.

Stripe

#1434 Post by Stripe »

Hi all
Have sorted my disapearing sound problem, the nvidia driver I was using on my machine was causing it, so now am using alternate nvidia driver,
mplayer quality on mp4, 3gp and flv are not as good so set vlc as default for these formats (problem solved), mplayer still plays dvds at top quality, the same as vlc (so could it be a codec issue?, only an idea)

hope this helps
Stripe

playdayz

#1435 Post by playdayz »

I tried a full install and got an error about missing dependencies... weird Question . I haven't been able to get my full install to work but maybe its just me (I hardly ever do a full install). If someone else tries let me know.
Hey sinc, that is a bogus message. It refers to dependencies in Puppy 2. I just close it.

chrismt

#1436 Post by chrismt »

:D

I installed 508 finally

I formatted ext4 to ext3

But I am still wondering, why 508 didn't install in ext 4?

willem1940NLD

#1437 Post by willem1940NLD »

Right: also my suspicion. Full install on HD only partly succeeded, i.e could not restart without the CD, error 13 file not found.

I am a Ext4 user for my "best" computer, 995MHz 780RAM 2xHD 80GB IDE, both having swap partition as 1st one.

Formatted clean and back to 501 which seems to enjoy Ext4.

Stripe

#1438 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Spoke too soon, disapearing sound is back, Icon seems to load on taskbar then disapears, Is there a command to see which sound card is being used?

Edited to say,alsamixer says the nvidia graphics card has been loaded as a sound card (and it isnt) any ideas?

Stripe
Last edited by Stripe on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Stripe

#1439 Post by Stripe »

Duplicate (sorry)

fyujj

#1440 Post by fyujj »

Superficial impressions from the live-cd:

- very much good looking!
- there's apparently no way to get a Brazilian keyboard layout (br-abnt2) to work except by creating an xorg.conf (can be done with Xorgwizard) and editing it by hand.

I tried loading with pkeys=br but either it didn't work at all or it loaded the br-abnt keymap (so did 'setxkb br').
If I remember well, Xorgwizard didn't change the keyboard section in xorg.conf, probably because of some mismatch of Xorgwizard and xorg itself. If it's to have a reference, Xorgwizard works perfectly in this respect with Quirky 1.2.
The other keyboard configuration tools here didn't even offer the abnt2 layout option (used to be present in other official Puppies).
So I had to edit xorg.conf by hand. When I restarted X from JWM's menu it went to a pink and messed screen so I hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and then ran Xwin and all was fine.

Quirky of course doesn't use the automatic configuration but it works fine to configure a Brazilian keyboard layout. I remember Lupu had problems with this from other times I had tested it but I didn't go on with tests because it kept messing my hardware clock, now this version at least has the option to tell it that our hardware uses UTC so it doesn't mess it anymore.

rerwin

Modem and pup_event upgrades available

#1441 Post by rerwin »

I see that 508 is still at the modem-support "-6" level, which seems to work OK given that there have been few complaints about that level. But now, I have posted a significant upgrade (of internal logic) to bring us to "-7.2". The four packages constituting the upgrade are available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57290

I recognize that you are at a very late stage of releasing 5.1, so understand if you choose to not upgrade. But doing so would simplify the burden on each user to make the updates and would improve my ability to support users reporting modem or module loading issues, by avoiding the need to re-solve problems already corrected. Although there is always risk with new stuff, making this upgrade part of 5.1 would expand the opportunities to find and fix any discovered problems. The main exposure is related to USB wireless dialup modems, where support needs to be tried by many users.

Thanks for considering these upgrade packages.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

don570

quick change of text color

#1442 Post by don570 »

I got JWM to look better with a quick change of active text color.
Go to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme and change line for active text to

Code: Select all

<Text>#FAC749</Text>
Then restart window manager

By the way I got the hex color from mtpaint which lists a color
by it's hex code. If anyone gets a better color tell the rest.

sinc

#1443 Post by sinc »

@chrismt: I too had some difficulty getting a full install. It worked for me after the 3rd or 4th try. I tried on an ext4 and couldn't get it to put anything on there. when i tried to do a full install to an ext4 partition it filled up my ram and put nothing on the partition.

@playdayz: shouldn't there be some way to just hide that message for a full install? i skipped it too b/c it doesn't make sense but i know people that would do what it says.

Either way, i am very impressed. great innovations!!! lupu is moving puppy forward in tremendous ways.

don570

video report

#1444 Post by don570 »

When I tested lupu 508 The first window I got didn't
recommend the video driver that I prefer.
NVIDIA-96.43.16_lupu500-k2.6.33.2.pet
Would someone change the opening recommendation?
Here is the info I got from terminal:

Code: Select all

# lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)

For your nVidia graphics card,  nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) , 

we think the best add on driver is Xorg_High.pet .

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Weird situation with nvidia driver install quickpet

#1445 Post by Béèm »

It was time to try the 508 on my Medion MD8818

Having 1GB at first boot (pfix=ram) I took the occasion to install the recommended Nvidia driver through quickpet. That went ok.
At the end of the session I created a save file and as usual a small 32MB one. No error message was given.

At next boot I had a kernel panic.
I suspected that this was due to the install of the nvidia driver.
I erased the save file and started again with pfix=ram, no nvidia driver install yet and a save file at the end of the session.

After booting again I installed then the nvidia driver but glxgears didn't run.
Free ram from the save file showed 14MB, but I have the impression the install wasn't done correctly, but no warnings were issued about not having enough space.

I wanted to uninstall that nvidia driver pet, but didn't find how to do.
The pet didn't show in the installed packages.

Is there a way to do this?
In this way I can recover space in the save file and try something else.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]