Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jasper

#1411 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdazs and the team,

I agree there is a stunning choice of "Nathan" backgrounds which will surely please thousands of new users as well as current devotees.

I had unusual difficulty in choosing my ideal screen resolution, so it was fortunate for me that I already knew I should see a Task Bar at the bottom of my screen.

I also agree with the comment above about dark coloured text on a dark background so I hope that very few new users will be affected by this or alternatively, and preferably, the standard set up can be made universally legible.

It would be good to have existing programs updated (e.g. Osmo).

Lucid Puppy 5.1 will justifiably receive rave reviews and huge acclaim. I am now using 5.0.0 as my main OS (having today relegated Xubuntu to the back burner despite it is highly tweaked to suit my personal needs).

My regards and congratulations

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Lupu-508 Beta 3

#1412 Post by Billtoo »

This time I formatted my 4GB flash drive to ext3 in gparted and set the boot flag and then installed 508 using the universal installer instead of bootflash.
After booting up and doing the usual setup I rebooted and saved to sdb1 instead of a file so it used the entire drive.I installed SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet and then used that to installed the devx.
I installed more apps from quickpet and then rebooted, rebooting took over 10 minutes because it was saving to the flash drive and if the light on the drive hadn't been flashing I would have thought the computer had locked up. I tried clicking the save icon on the desktop before rebooting the next time and it took about 10 seconds to reboot vs 10 minutes the other way.
My 4gb flash drive is down to 2.4gb free after installing quite a few things.

01micko

#1413 Post by 01micko »

James C..

I beat you in "How Low can Lupu Go?" stakes.... :lol:

AMD K6 400, 128MB RAM, 300MB swap :P

:lol:
Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1414 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:
When boot to the desktop fails and a user has the command prompt it is hell to type when having a National Language Keyboard.

So no change here.
Béèm, Did you fail to boot to the desktop? The goal is that everyone can boot successfully to the desktop--we have solved the big problem from Lupu 5.0--which was Intel 855 graphics chipsets.
No I didn't fail to boot to the desktop. In this case by a mouse click the config can be done.

Good to hear that the big problem is solved. So let's hope that nobody has the problem anymore, then all is well.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Jim1911

#1415 Post by Jim1911 »

Lucid-508 is working great on my system with one notable exception. It has problems with an ext4 partition.

I tried an installation on an USB flash drive formatted to ext4. it appeared to install using the puppy universal installer, however it failed. Reformatted it to ext3 and it worked fine.

Also, tried a frugal installation on an internal ide ext4 partition, it also appeared to work with the universal installer, but no files were copied. I repeated this installation, but this time manually copied the files using ROX to the ext4 partition. It was successful, and booted properly.

I haven't tried a full hd installation.

Cheers,
Jim

playdayz

#1416 Post by playdayz »

This time I formatted my 4GB flash drive to ext3 in gparted and set the boot flag and then installed 508 using the universal installer instead of bootflash.
After booting up and doing the usual setup I rebooted and saved to sdb1 instead of a file so it used the entire drive.I installed SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet and then used that to installed the devx.
I installed more apps from quickpet and then rebooted, rebooting took over 10 minutes because it was saving to the flash drive and if the light on the drive hadn't been flashing I would have thought the computer had locked up. I tried clicking the save icon on the desktop before rebooting the next time and it took about 10 seconds to reboot vs 10 minutes the other way.
I did that same kind of install as a test billtoo, saving to the whole partition as you did. I thought things were too slow to use, but your tip might help there. Thanks.

shinobar

the first button

#1417 Post by shinobar »

playdayz wrote:smil99, "change the keyboard settings without dropping to the command line." The code in 505 that allowed that was too complicated and untested.
I know your work is excellent but i think the complexity comes from the first button wrongly buttoned.
We have had to modify xwin instead of the acrobatic way of swaping xorgwizard.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 409#436409

if you hurry to release 5.1, then i am looking forward to 5.2.
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

bit

#1418 Post by bit »

partview wrong
Attachments
1.png
(61.03 KiB) Downloaded 1088 times

stu90

#1419 Post by stu90 »

Modified 1280 pixels version of Conky Lucid for Puppy Lucid.

First install conky from puppy lucid repo in puppy package manager then install conky.puppy-0.1.pet

This is 1280 pixel version only.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/236535 ... py-0.1.pet

Config file is: /root/.conkytheme/conkyrc

added little turn on/off gui: /root/conky.switch

playdayz

#1420 Post by playdayz »

I had unusual difficulty in choosing my ideal screen resolution, so it was fortunate for me that I already knew I should see a Task Bar at the bottom of my screen.
Yes Sir Jaspar, this is something that Icewm does correctly but not jwm. I should put in a message to restart X-server.

Thanks.

playdayz

#1421 Post by playdayz »

stu90, that is cool. When I packaged conky i looked around for a good conkyrc but didn't find one.

James C

#1422 Post by James C »

Been installing, with both the PPM and Quickpet, and testing a bunch of different apps................had to double the size of my save file :lol: So far everything seems to be working correctly.
Even installed Wine,,,,,,and I don't even use Wine. :)

Minnesota

kind of late for changing scripts

#1423 Post by Minnesota »

I know it is very late in the game, so for the next series of updates can the script for Puppy install be changed a bit to help make the yes and no and enter more clear?

In one case you want to enter a character in order to clear off the old files on a stick.. the second time you simply want to enter without a character in order to have puppy copied to ram.

For us graying folks with tri focal glasses this is not as easy to read as it once was...and is just plain confusing. I tried in several earlier versions to create the stick.. it would not boot.. and wanted the CD.. finally in Beta 3 I read the screen more closely and found I needed to press enter the second time, with OUT a character. Please update the screen and options if possible. :)

BIG :) This version is looking better and better, keep up the good work. Found my printer, had saved Nvidia and Firefox drivers on a stick, loaded the pets, all ran well. THANKS GUYS for all the hard work. It is appreciated. :)

ecube

PartView-2.1

#1424 Post by ecube »

Bit wrote:
partview wrong

Please, test if the querky version of PartView also shows the incorrect value.

Thanks,
ecube
Attachments
forum.jpg
PartView-2.1
(11.62 KiB) Downloaded 947 times
Partview-2.1.pet
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

smokey01

#1425 Post by smokey01 »

James C wrote:Been installing, with both the PPM and Quickpet, and testing a bunch of different apps................had to double the size of my save file :lol: So far everything seems to be working correctly.
Even installed Wine,,,,,,and I don't even use Wine. :)
I noticed Lupu only allows up to 6 sfs files via bootmanager. I thought there was a work around to be able to load 24. See link.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36733

willem1940NLD

#1426 Post by willem1940NLD »

Downloaded 508 B3.... will try out if this works (even) more pleasantly than 501 which I have been playing with since over a month.

KDE .... rather not, I know that from other distros; maybe technically "quick" but slowing down the USER, loss of manspeed, 2-3 different filebrowsers, still never found out how to set "view" to default "detailed".

Still hoping sooner or later some of you technicians will produce a distro based on no other browsers than Firefox/firefly and with VLC as only mediaplayer. Also: all "open with" functions leading to menu list items only, not "try something via file system".

Ray MK

#1427 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Luvly Puppy - looks good, feels fast and seems to work ok.
The work you have all done to produce this cannot be praised enough.

A suggestion to assist low spec, ram challenged users, if I may -

I use JRB's sfs loader with lupu and many other puppies all the time and it is incredibly useful when running live (ie no save_file), even when only 128mb ram is available.

It allows one to load and unload sfs's on the fly, (no boot or reboot reqd)
just load, unload - so easy.

And - it seems to have no limit on the quantity of sfs's that can be loaded
at any one time - fantastic.

If you would consider including this in your final - I believe many would find
it so useful.

To my knowledge - this amazing feature is unique to Puppy.

Might even be the small something that makes this new puppy the No1 chartbuster.

Hope you will consider it and many thanks for a SUPER puppy.

Very best regards - Ray.

tronkel

MUTT email client

#1428 Post by tronkel »

I've been having a go with installing the MUTT console email client in Lupu 506 after having gotten it to work in Linux Mint 9.

It works very well in Lupu - it's fast. I installed it from Lupu's package manager. The required dependencies were not correctly picked up by the package manager install system, but by ferreting around a bit on the internet, I found out what was missing.

Command-line stuff is not for all Puppy users by any means, but If you have a Gmail IMAP account, MUTT can access this directly without the usual need for MUTT to have to operate in tandem with say Sendmail or Fetch-Mail, so might be useful to certain users.

MUTT also supports PGP encryption via GNUPG.

If there is any interest in this, I'll try to get it packaged up together with the necessary template configuration file in the form of a pet package. This could be made available either from within Quickpet (as a Thunderbird/Enigmail alternative maybe), or simply kept as a stand-alone pet.

I believe that a dotpup exists somewhere for MUTT. No idea if it still works with say Lupu or Quirky.
Last edited by tronkel on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1429 Post by Lobster »

The running from CD Ethernet connection (508 beta3)
was working persistently in 507
Now I have to reconnect to the Internet each time I boot up
from my install (ie. created a fresh 508
connects to Ethernet - hooray
turn off machine
need to reconnect
close down turn off
boot up - again need to reconnect)

What has been changed?

Pupradio and PupTV
seemed to work OK with broadband (full screen)

Still problems with last two icons in inkscape lite (duplicated)

Still unable to record sound from mhwavedit with USB

Look forward to new surprises :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

chrismt

Full Install Failure

#1430 Post by chrismt »

Lupu-508 Beta 3 Full Install Report

I have Windows XP in sda1, and Dpup in sda4

I tried to install Lupu latest on my sda3

It took a very unstable process to do a full install

I also installed Grub on sda4