Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 07:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 95 of 145 [2171 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, ..., 143, 144, 145 Next
Jasper

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 13:35    Post subject:
Subject description: 508

Hi playdazs and the team,

I agree there is a stunning choice of "Nathan" backgrounds which will surely please thousands of new users as well as current devotees.

I had unusual difficulty in choosing my ideal screen resolution, so it was fortunate for me that I already knew I should see a Task Bar at the bottom of my screen.

I also agree with the comment above about dark coloured text on a dark background so I hope that very few new users will be affected by this or alternatively, and preferably, the standard set up can be made universally legible.

It would be good to have existing programs updated (e.g. Osmo).

Lucid Puppy 5.1 will justifiably receive rave reviews and huge acclaim. I am now using 5.0.0 as my main OS (having today relegated Xubuntu to the back burner despite it is highly tweaked to suit my personal needs).

My regards and congratulations
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 13:57    Post subject: The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Lupu-508 Beta 3
Subject description: another install

This time I formatted my 4GB flash drive to ext3 in gparted and set the boot flag and then installed 508 using the universal installer instead of bootflash.
After booting up and doing the usual setup I rebooted and saved to sdb1 instead of a file so it used the entire drive.I installed SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet and then used that to installed the devx.
I installed more apps from quickpet and then rebooted, rebooting took over 10 minutes because it was saving to the flash drive and if the light on the drive hadn't been flashing I would have thought the computer had locked up. I tried clicking the save icon on the desktop before rebooting the next time and it took about 10 seconds to reboot vs 10 minutes the other way.
My 4gb flash drive is down to 2.4gb free after installing quite a few things.
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 16:27    Post subject:  

James C..

I beat you in "How Low can Lupu Go?" stakes.... Laughing

AMD K6 400, 128MB RAM, 300MB swap Razz

Laughing
Cheers!

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 16:59    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
When boot to the desktop fails and a user has the command prompt it is hell to type when having a National Language Keyboard.

So no change here.

Béèm, Did you fail to boot to the desktop? The goal is that everyone can boot successfully to the desktop--we have solved the big problem from Lupu 5.0--which was Intel 855 graphics chipsets.
No I didn't fail to boot to the desktop. In this case by a mouse click the config can be done.

Good to hear that the big problem is solved. So let's hope that nobody has the problem anymore, then all is well.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 17:51    Post subject:  

Lucid-508 is working great on my system with one notable exception. It has problems with an ext4 partition.

I tried an installation on an USB flash drive formatted to ext4. it appeared to install using the puppy universal installer, however it failed. Reformatted it to ext3 and it worked fine.

Also, tried a frugal installation on an internal ide ext4 partition, it also appeared to work with the universal installer, but no files were copied. I repeated this installation, but this time manually copied the files using ROX to the ext4 partition. It was successful, and booted properly.

I haven't tried a full hd installation.

Cheers,
Jim
playdayz

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 18:47    Post subject:  

Quote:
This time I formatted my 4GB flash drive to ext3 in gparted and set the boot flag and then installed 508 using the universal installer instead of bootflash.
After booting up and doing the usual setup I rebooted and saved to sdb1 instead of a file so it used the entire drive.I installed SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet and then used that to installed the devx.
I installed more apps from quickpet and then rebooted, rebooting took over 10 minutes because it was saving to the flash drive and if the light on the drive hadn't been flashing I would have thought the computer had locked up. I tried clicking the save icon on the desktop before rebooting the next time and it took about 10 seconds to reboot vs 10 minutes the other way.

I did that same kind of install as a test billtoo, saving to the whole partition as you did. I thought things were too slow to use, but your tip might help there. Thanks.
shinobar

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 19:03    Post subject: the first button  

playdayz wrote:
smil99, "change the keyboard settings without dropping to the command line." The code in 505 that allowed that was too complicated and untested.

I know your work is excellent but i think the complexity comes from the first button wrongly buttoned.
We have had to modify xwin instead of the acrobatic way of swaping xorgwizard.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=436409#436409

if you hurry to release 5.1, then i am looking forward to 5.2.

Last edited by shinobar on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 20:56; edited 1 time in total
bit

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 19:33    Post subject:  

partview wrong
1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   61.03 KB
 Viewed   1067 Time(s)

1.png

stu90

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 22:09    Post subject:  

Modified 1280 pixels version of Conky Lucid for Puppy Lucid.

First install conky from puppy lucid repo in puppy package manager then install conky.puppy-0.1.pet

This is 1280 pixel version only.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23653503/conky.puppy-0.1.pet

Config file is: /root/.conkytheme/conkyrc

added little turn on/off gui: /root/conky.switch
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010, 00:06    Post subject:  

Quote:
I had unusual difficulty in choosing my ideal screen resolution, so it was fortunate for me that I already knew I should see a Task Bar at the bottom of my screen.

Yes Sir Jaspar, this is something that Icewm does correctly but not jwm. I should put in a message to restart X-server.

Thanks.
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010, 00:08    Post subject:  

stu90, that is cool. When I packaged conky i looked around for a good conkyrc but didn't find one.
James C

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010, 02:16    Post subject:  

Been installing, with both the PPM and Quickpet, and testing a bunch of different apps................had to double the size of my save file Laughing So far everything seems to be working correctly.
Even installed Wine,,,,,,and I don't even use Wine. Smile
Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010, 05:09    Post subject: kind of late for changing scripts
Subject description: Puppy instal script

I know it is very late in the game, so for the next series of updates can the script for Puppy install be changed a bit to help make the yes and no and enter more clear?

In one case you want to enter a character in order to clear off the old files on a stick.. the second time you simply want to enter without a character in order to have puppy copied to ram.

For us graying folks with tri focal glasses this is not as easy to read as it once was...and is just plain confusing. I tried in several earlier versions to create the stick.. it would not boot.. and wanted the CD.. finally in Beta 3 I read the screen more closely and found I needed to press enter the second time, with OUT a character. Please update the screen and options if possible. Smile

BIG Smile This version is looking better and better, keep up the good work. Found my printer, had saved Nvidia and Firefox drivers on a stick, loaded the pets, all ran well. THANKS GUYS for all the hard work. It is appreciated. Smile
ecube

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010, 06:24    Post subject: PartView-2.1  

Bit wrote:
partview wrong

Please, test if the querky version of PartView also shows the incorrect value.

Thanks,
ecube
forum.jpg
 Description   PartView-2.1
 Filesize   11.62 KB
 Viewed   917 Time(s)

forum.jpg

Partview-2.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  Partview-2.1.pet 
Filesize  2.68 KB 
Downloaded  213 Time(s) 
smokey01

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010, 06:28    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
Been installing, with both the PPM and Quickpet, and testing a bunch of different apps................had to double the size of my save file Laughing So far everything seems to be working correctly.
Even installed Wine,,,,,,and I don't even use Wine. Smile

I noticed Lupu only allows up to 6 sfs files via bootmanager. I thought there was a work around to be able to load 24. See link.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36733

Page 95 of 145 [2171 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, ..., 143, 144, 145 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: