Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1111 Post by playdayz »

Thanks Playdayz for your understanding.
I made some test.
Thanks for you work. I *think* I have a simpler way. I am about to start. We will still boot directly to the desktop, you understand. I hope this will appear in Lupu-504 later today. Thanks.

shinobar

nvidia

#1112 Post by shinobar »

lguleder, don't worry. our micko will resolve them all.

The problem comes from:
  1. nvidia-xconfig does not support our fake xorg.conf, but requires full xorg.conf.
  2. xorgwizard does not modprobe nvidia unless nvidia not chosen.
another test: (without devx)
  1. first run lupu. auto desktop with nv. but at this point of time the xorg.conf is a fake.
  2. run xorgwizard. it probes nv again. but this time full xorg.conf created.
  3. install nvidia-glx.
  4. go to console and run nvidia-xconfig.
  5. xwin. the desktop comes with nvidia.
Last edited by shinobar on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

Stripe

#1113 Post by Stripe »

Hi All

Following on from my previous post
After installing the three patches/downloads from 01micko
Have been running 503 as my main system to test it, everything works fine (that I use) under normal conditions. Find it strange having 2 window managers but have used both and both OK.

Playdayz Ayttm has been fully tested and is perfect after 01mickos patches were applied. :D

one small problem, installed conky and it sent my Pwidgets (that I use for system monitoring) into seperate xwindows titled conky, either seems to work perfectly on their own but pwidgets does not seem to work properly when installed together. (cant remember this happening with 213 if that helps)

hope this helps
Don

Abnormalter

#1114 Post by Abnormalter »

nvidia-xconfig does not support our fake xorg.conf, but requires full xorg.conf.
Guys, you can spit at silly faked xorg.conf, - you "have cheap or driving"? ;)
I'm repeat, "Do it simply, stupid!" (C)

shinobar

faked xorg.conf

#1115 Post by shinobar »

Abnormalter wrote:Guys, you can spit at silly faked xorg.conf,
Abnormalter, I thought so before getting the infomation from you that we can add the InputDevice section on the fake xorg.conf.
it is not bad because it is the key of the auto config.

But keeping the hardware info on the fake xorg.conf is meaningless and inconsitent.
modifying one line in xwin is another key of the auto config, i think.

As for the nvidia-xconfig, it is not a problem if the xorgwizard can.

Abnormalter

#1116 Post by Abnormalter »

shinobar,
"keeping the hardware info on the fake xorg.conf is meaningless and inconsitent" -- it's not correctly on practice, as minimal, for this input device section because using xkbd configurator or/and add an other language, include uses the first run tools, NOW REWRITE any defaults values them.
But this way *really* resolve this described above problem (and it resolves analogically problem for really Puppy users).
About Nvidea dev problem I cannot take a codes because I haven't this device... :(
(I use Radeon & Intel Graphics chips on my PCs.)
But I think it is analogically problen with 'fake xorg.conf' -- because excludes now from it an needs info, who really need to a Nvidea configurator.
Simply solution: give it to the conf and do not fooling either any users or this Nvidea configurator...
=)
Technocratic mind is poor mind... Really practice it's main rules ;)

shinobar

PuppyHardwareProfile

#1117 Post by shinobar »

Abnormalter wrote:shinobar,
"keeping the hardware info on the fake xorg.conf is meaningless and inconsitent" -- it's not correctly on practice, as minimal, for this input device section
Abnormalter, you are right as for the input device section for keyboard.
it is essencial in practically and logically because the X server does not have any way to detect keyboard properties.

I had to say:
keeping graphic tip and display info on the comment line is meaningless and inconsitent whereas the xorg.conf requesting auto confg of them.

Traditional puppy, or say woof, xorgwizard leaves a comment line on the tail of the xorg.conf such as like:

Code: Select all

#PuppyHardwareProfile=NVIDIAAcerG235H
it indicates the xorg.conf has the entry for NVIDIA graphic tip and AcerG235H display.
xwin checks this and knowing if the hardware changed, runs xorgwizard.

The fake xorg.conf for univasal has no entry for the graphic nor display.
In this case the comment line should be blank, i think.

Abnormalter

#1118 Post by Abnormalter »

Of course, in practice, this method helps. IMHO the main thing. :)

JustGreg

#1119 Post by JustGreg »

I have updated the instructions for installing Nvidia 256.35. I posted a new pet with them in the drivers section of Additional Software. I have re-done the install script. Here are the instructions:

"Nvidia Xorg driver" "NOTICE: You will need to configure X server to activate Nvidia driver:
1. Exit from X to prompt (see Shutdown menu)
2. Type "xorgwizard" (without the quotes),
If you are starting from the boot configuration, you may have to go through the following screens
a. You may have to select the keybaord.
b. You may have to select the locale.
c. You may have to select the time zone.
d. Pick the Choose button when the display screen is shown
e. Enter nvidia in the selection box, then OK
f. You may have to select the keyboard again.
g. You will have select the desired resolution, press test button
h. Press the test_x-now button
i. You should see the screen with a box listing the settings, Use the mouse to select OK
j. Select the Finsihed button.

3. Type "xwin" to restart X without quotes.
4. Menu Setup --> NVIDIA X Settings Wizard (to finetune things)

Depending on the version being used some steps may not be needed, for example Luci 213 requires the entry of keyboard, locale, and time zone but Lupu 5.0.3 does not require them. I hope this helps. I do know that Micko and Playdaz are working to include them. I hope this helps people.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Abnormalter

Quickpet need a modify

#1120 Post by Abnormalter »

I find now, that the Quickpet needs to change PET' downloading place from $HOME/quickpet/download folder to /tmp because currently place provokes it to overflow save file. So, currently have pets size about 20-25 mb (for example, Internet browsers or GIMP) and needs work space about 3 * {PET-size} for install stage, it's absolutely abnormal situation! And currently place, who many users don't known, and without any mechanisme to automatically remove any downloaded PETs, -- it inevitably provokes to overflow save file and it can be confuse the puppy users very well...

2. Currently, the script who unpack PET and install it, as fact haven't a checking process of successfull to unpacking it. And currently may be situation that an unpacked files from an installed package has zero-size of... (Because has overflow save file at temporary install stage: so, $HOME/.package folder uses space from save file limit too.) It's abnormal situation twice!

01micko

Re: Quickpet need a modify

#1121 Post by 01micko »

Abnormalter wrote:I find now, that the Quickpet needs to change PET' downloading place from $HOME/quickpet/download folder to /tmp because currently place provokes it to overflow save file. So, currently have pets size about 20-25 mb (for example, Internet browsers or GIMP) and needs work space about 3 * {PET-size} for install stage, it's absolutely abnormal situation! And currently place, who many users don't known, and without any mechanisme to automatically remove any downloaded PETs, -- it inevitably provokes to overflow save file and it can be confuse the puppy users very well...

2. Currently, the script who unpack PET and install it, as fact haven't a checking process of successfull to unpacking it. And currently may be situation that an unpacked files from a package has zero-size of... (Because has overflow save file at temporary install stage.) It's abnormal situation twice!
Abnormalter

I have changed the behaviour of Quickpet to default to deleting downloaded packages, but there is an option to save if you want, that fixes your first issue. See here. While you are there, you might like to do a Russian translation. Or not. Your choice. :)

The second issue you are wrong. Quickpet, since the start has an integrity check and an unpacking check, with error messages if either are wrong. This has been well tested by many users and I got that right from the very beginning. Maybe, you are missing the message because of gtkdialog splash? We formerly used yaf-splash. In the next version you won't because I disabled the mouse-over close, that could prevent you from seeing the error message. It is persistent until timeout now, but forked so the script continues.

Any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for your comment.

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1122 Post by Lobster »

Quickpet is great. Did you try Sickguts apt-get code (maybe for the menu)?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 543#436543
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tubeguy

systray issues with transmission and aqualung

#1123 Post by tubeguy »

Both tranmsission and aqualung have systray options, but they don't work in 503. Aqualung just closes cleanly and the transmission window closes but the program stays running, can bring up the window by clicking the desktop icon again. Anybody else with systray issues?

EDIT: Just got into Icewm, tray icons work with Aqualung and Transmission but Glipper icon does not show.
Attachments
xerrs.tar.gz
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Last edited by tubeguy on Sat 24 Jul 2010, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Abnormalter

Re: Quickpet need a modify

#1124 Post by Abnormalter »

Hello, 01micko!

Thanks for understanding.

"I have changed the behaviour of Quickpet to default to deleting downloaded packages..." -- so, I tests it now.

"While you are there, you might like to do a Russian translation. Or not. Your choice" -- it's not needs to me, because russian community may be do it: see http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php?topic=4529.0 (if you can read russian textes).

"Quickpet, since the start has an integrity check and an unpacking check, with error messages if either are wrong." -- I have 2th or 3th times for this situation, from Puppy 5.0 to last Lucid Puppy release (last cause be on tests Pupu-503 at yesterday...)

"Maybe, you are missing the message because of gtkdialog splash?" -- No, no!
Hmm... But now I cannot take an answer to cause who may be provokes to it... :(

P.S. I have an assumption that subsystem, who informed users about the lack of save space, has hefty inertia... and installation process for pet, and how about 20-25 mb size too, is fast...
It's just a guess! :)

PPS. Advanced discussion about it please see here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 721#436721

playdayz

#1125 Post by playdayz »

Guys, you can spit at silly faked xorg.conf, - you "have cheap or driving"?
I think you mean K.I.S.S for Keep It Simple Stupid, but what you said was Do it Simple Stupid which someone might interpret as diss, which is street slang for disrespect.

don570

nvidia graphic video card report

#1126 Post by don570 »

graphic card report for lupu503
# graphix_test
For your nVidia graphics card,
nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) ,
we think the best add on driver is Xorg_High.pet .
It would be required for some programs and games with high graphcial
content and your desktop might seem a bit more snappy.
It is available in Quickpet under Drivers
nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
nVidia
GeForce2
---------------------
installed catdude's pet NVIDIA-96.43.16_lupu500-k2.6.33.2.pet
successfully!

don570

modify icewm

#1127 Post by don570 »

If you think 4 workspaces is wasting space on taskbar,
change relevant line in
/root/icewm/preferences

Code: Select all

WorkspaceNames=" 1 ", " 2 "
Then choose 'restart icewm' in menu.
The result is only two workspaces.

Abnormalter

#1128 Post by Abnormalter »

playdayz wrote:
I think you mean K.I.S.S for Keep It Simple Stupid, but what you said was Do it Simple Stupid which someone might interpret as diss, which is street slang for disrespect.
Of course, I mean KISS!
Thanks for correction!

01micko

#1129 Post by 01micko »

Abnormalter wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Of course, I mean KISS!
Thanks for correction!
Abnormalter

I see your problem with Opera.. is this the only package which did this? It may not be Quickpets fault. I have seen behaviour like this before.. corrupt packages still getting through.. it's like a shark net.. you can't stop all the sharks!

I will look further.. it must be fixed.

Cheers

EDIT

Abnormalter

I installed opere flawlessly in Quickpet. Could this have been a problem of your save file getting full? Maybe I should put in an "ABOORT" button?

Thanks

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Abnormalter

#1130 Post by Abnormalter »

01micko,
-- the opera in not one package who I have analogically problems -- if I use quickpet for install only. It's begin at lupu-500 and pass several attemps to 503 (with many releses 2xx too). So, I use opera as i.browser permanently, and no one under puppy, -- installs it fine without described situation...
I think (as I described below) it's depend of difficult free space limit of personal storage (for example, if I attempts a new release of puppy, use a minimal space os save file -- about 64-128 mb against normally working configuration about 512 or above...)
It's not depend of quality internet connection because I have very quality internet who no lost i-packages. And I haven't NO ONE corrupted iso or sfs os pet, who I download 'manually' from puppy' repos...

Note. I think, a minimal correction quickpet, as I suggest (i.e. move download place to /tmp) resolve it radically and no one users don't have any problems of this situation at tomorrow...

Thanks!

P.S. "I installed opere flawlessly in Quickpet." -- you install it as I advised? -- i.e. under lupu503 has 64 mb space of storage? (and without use other big packages too? -- i.e. on 'newest' puppy.)

PPS. ..be careful... because devil hides in details... :)
Last edited by Abnormalter on Sun 25 Jul 2010, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.