Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

#1 Post by playdayz »

Lucid Puppy 5.1 is a “full-featured compact distro.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 20:05, edited 172 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Sounds like a good plan :)

May I recommend some crossbreeding 8)

Puppeee which runs on my desktop - so it might work on yours
has some great progs that you might say - yep want that for Lucid 5.1
For example the boot sequence is very nice to use . . .

Dpup too might have code that we can use
and who knows what else lurks in the Puppy and Ubuntu vaults . . .

Another possibility is adding Window Manager Choice
to the Browser choice
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

Will there be bugfix releases for Lucid 5.0 or do we wait for 5.1?

playdayz

#4 Post by playdayz »

May I recommend some crossbreeding

I am all for crossbreeding. I believe in that good old-fashioned "hybrid vigor."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Will there be bugfix releases for Lucid 5.0 or do we wait for 5.1?
Definitely bugfix release(s). Two kinds. We have the update feature in Quickpet and will have the first update in a week or so. And then there will also be a 5.0.1 in a month or so, and a 5.0.2 if necessary after that.

jemimah

#5 Post by jemimah »

playdayz wrote:
I am all for crossbreeding. I believe in that good old-fashioned "hybrid vigor."
I think I prefer the term cross-contamination... [crossbreeding = weird visual imagery]

Looking forward to the woof tutorial, I'm throwing around the idea of using EB4 as the base for Puppeee 5, so it'd be nice not to have to reinvent the wheel process-wise.

I've got Ramboot working in Puppeee, but ideally we'd convince Barry to implement it upstream. Saving on shutdown is tough though, since currently the save file doesn't get fully unmounted on shutdown - the only way absolutely to ensure integrity would be to copy the files down one at a time which is really slow. I have an idea to fix this, but haven't tested it yet.

Regarding browsers, I think Technosaurus is pretty close to a small, fast, stable Midori - I don't know how well it likes Cups though.

Jim1911

#6 Post by Jim1911 »

A few minor problems that were not corrected which could be addressed in 5.1.

1. Gparted identified partitions accurately, however, some key information about partitions is not present. Most significant is the UUID which must be used in the menu.lst with some pups and is primarily used by major distros. Quirky 1.1 gparted displays information correctly. I tried reinstalling gparted using ppm from the ubuntu repository. It installed properly, but had the same problem.

2. Abiword has minor problem with CUPS-PDF not printing graphics to a pdf file. This appears to be an Abiword problem instaad of a CUPS problem. OpenOffice prints graphics properly to a pdf file.

DaveS

#7 Post by DaveS »

I will just be grateful if Lupu stays in development and does not wither away like others before it :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#8 Post by playdayz »

Jim1911. The gparted that is in LP5 is the Ubuntu binary. In some earlier versions up to 113 or so, I'm not sure, it was the pet. I replaced it only out of a prejudice for Ubuntu binaries in LP--it was actually bigger. You might try the one in the Puppy Package Manager (the pet). Both gparted's were taking a long time on ntfs drives--eventually displaying them, but very fast on Linux drives. I see what you mean about the uuid's. Let us know if you find one please. Thanks.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#9 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:I would like to see a "KDE/QT" base option in Quickpet that would enable various KDE/QT programs. That is, once installing the "base" then programs such as Amarok, K3b, and K-Office could be downloaded and run. As I understand it, KDE4 is built with this in mind, offering a "kde-runtime" that is basically the base I mentioned
.Are you aware of KDPUP?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

For these reasons we cheated a bit and used a cut down version of Seamonkey 1.1.18 to provide PuppyBrowser. What we need for 5.1 is to replace this kludge with something much smaller but equally functional. This is how we can save maybe 15MB!
I wondered why it was so good. 8)
Porridge! [Lobsterian swearing] :roll:

May I suggest we extend the quickpet to include
an experimental listing for 'small browsers'
There are quite a few from Dillo (once upon ancient Puppy days
the browser we used) to an Arachne port

http://www.helgefjell.de/browser.php

I for one would be interested in reducing that 15MB by a factor of 5 to 3MB
or so.
Would be happy to add testing of browsers to my duties of fish eating and advocating Bugman as 'Puppy Official Scapegoat'.

So
1. compile browsers for Lucid perhaps using Ubuntu packages
2. make available in quickpet updates
3. ensure that it is available for Lucid users
4. Get feedback
5. Make choice closer to date
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

PaulBx1

#11 Post by PaulBx1 »

Before going off tilting at new windmills, maybe a bugfix release for 5.0 would make a little sense? We already have a 5.0 thread with 76 pages full of reported bugs; do we want to repeat that performance with 5.1? Why report bugs that never get fixed?

I don't know, I just feel like it would be nice to have a good solid release once in a while, rather than exciting new toys that sorta work sometimes. Nobody cares if the release is 120MB rather than 100MB (or whatever). Lots of people care if it works. The users, remember them?

Sorry for being so negative. Maybe I ought to just move on. Anyone know what distros have a reputation for reliability, along with good documentation? FreeBSD maybe?

Maybe it makes sense to bump to 5.1 to revise a very few large issues that just don't work, but if you go that route I'd advise you to keep the list of new stuff very very short, and mostly fix bugs.

James C

#12 Post by James C »

PaulBx1 wrote:Before going off tilting at new windmills, maybe a bugfix release for 5.0 would make a little sense? We already have a 5.0 thread with 76 pages full of reported bugs; do we want to repeat that performance with 5.1? Why report bugs that never get fixed?

I don't know, I just feel like it would be nice to have a good solid release once in a while, rather than exciting new toys that sorta work sometimes. Nobody cares if the release is 120MB rather than 100MB (or whatever). Lots of people care if it works. The users, remember them?

Sorry for being so negative. Maybe I ought to just move on. Anyone know what distros have a reputation for reliability, along with good documentation? FreeBSD maybe?

Maybe it makes sense to bump to 5.1 to revise a very few large issues that just don't work, but if you go that route I'd advise you to keep the list of new stuff very very short, and mostly fix bugs.
Looks like the actual bug report thread is 6 pages, with most complaints x related.......................................................

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55385

drongo

Lightweight browser

#13 Post by drongo »

Didn't Mark Ulrich develop a lightweight browser a while back?

I think it might be in one of his Muppy releases.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#14 Post by Béèm »

James C wrote:
PaulBx1 wrote:Before going off tilting at new windmills, maybe a bugfix release for 5.0 would make a little sense? We already have a 5.0 thread with 76 pages full of reported bugs; do we want to repeat that performance with 5.1? Why report bugs that never get fixed?

Looks like the actual bug report thread is 6 pages, with most complaints x related.......................................................

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55385
PaulBx1 made a good point. In addition to the 6 pages bug report, people continued to report in the main thread. So the total of reported bugs is much more then the 6 pages or so.

Also I have the same feeling. A lot of things are reported, which aren't not always taken care of.

Several time it was suggested to use the bug reporting system (ala Bugzilla) I reported several times in there, but unfortunately bugs weren't attributed to someone and thus not solved.

Puppy faces for a long time already to rush to new releases, leaving old issues behind. I agree on this with PaulBx1.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

Hi everybody :)

The past and present

This is a landmark release of Puppy. The first to be built from Woof, The Puppy Builder from another distro's binaries. I think the dozen or so core folks who helped with bugfixes, testing and improvements deserve a pat on the back. You all know who you are :wink: .

That being said, lets hope that the Official release of Puppy 5, aka Lupu, aka Lucid Puppy drags in a whole bunch more testers and bugfixers.

It feels nice to actually have it installed instead of running live and torching save files! Running very well for me.

The Future

I agree with PaulBx1 and Béèm too. We need to consolidate. However that does not need to come at the cost of new features.

Look at Quickpet for example. It is an app that is about six weeks old.Not, even, 4/12/2010 is the date it was created. I haven't seen a complaint about it in the reviews, bug threads, anywhere. Actually, the review pa_mcclamrock links to in another thread is almost all about Quickpet.

Sure, not all the feedback is positive. There are issues. Together we can fix them.

Xorg for example.Perhaps in the init script we can check to see if the offending intel drivers are loaded before X wants to start and stop X from starting and go directly to Xorgwizard. Now there's an idea, quite doable I think. Anyone up for it?

Nothing wrong at all with testing what browser works with the latest CUPS. I just wonder how much we can chop down a mozilla browser, which is what the latest CUPS seems to want. Perhaps Seamonkey is the wrong way to go, what about an old firefox version.. Firepup maybe? Just trying to think outside the box. Which is what Puppy actually does!

Multimedia. Now that Puppy 5 is here we can compile stuff. Yes indeed. We can compile the latest ffmpeg and xinelib which are essential to good multimedia playback I'm sure some of the multimedia issues are because of this. ffmpeg and xinelib are interdependent. Xinelib needs to be compiled against the ffmpeg we have for the optimum end product. Our friend Patriot taught us that.

Package Management. I was thinking to write something new. But why? Quickpet "just works" doesn't it? PPM "just works" doesn't it? Ah, but you need to update the files for the Ubuntu repos. Ok, an oversight, that should be done for 5.0.1. That way as soon as a user boots his/her new Puppy 5.0.1 cd they can go for any Ubuntu package in their repos, and PPM grabs the dependencies. Why would you want/need apt/Synaptic? I think the PPM is one of Puppy 5's strengths, and perhaps we should heed WhoDo's advice and put in a nice big splash screen in the first Update such that evrery one currently using Puppy 5 get's to know about the Power of the PPM. 8) Of course, any packages offered, compiled in Puppy 5 will be considered for the Official repo.

KDE. Why not? It can be done. Playdayz doesn't have to do it. I don't have to do it. Though we will certainly be there to help. Maybe someone would like to coordinate the KDE effort? Step up, whoever you are! :D

Let us all say "CAN". It CAN be done. :D

Cheers

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

Running very well for me
Me too.
Agree with further Quickpet development
Simple, powerful, works.

also . . .
Clicking on date bottom right is not bringing up the calendar
and . . . whilst I am here
I have one of the VLC pets working OK - not sure which one
but that could be added to Quickpet

Also another thing I thought of whilst cycling this morning
Tiered menuing (now we have a simpler menu coding)

Noob Menu (basic features with simple names eg Paint instead of Mt paint)
Puppy User (all features but with simple names)
Full Geek (redirects to website to create your own)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Iguleder

#17 Post by Iguleder »

Hey, sounds like a good plan.

I'd love to help you with development, I think I can help in many areas. I started working on a modified GPicView some time ago and abandoned it, I think I can fix it and change things so it integrates in Lupu perfectly.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 99&t=47495

I can change its name and everything, to make it smaller and lighter. Sounds like a good alternative for the old Viewnior in Puppy.

Also, I think Puppy needs some sound configuration wizard that runs alsaconf, alsamixer and adjusts volume levels. That could be a great thing for people that face problems with getting sound to work. Sort of a 1-2-3 wizard, no sound-alsaconf, still no sound- alsamixer, then it checks volume levels or something. Just an idea.
Last edited by Iguleder on Thu 20 May 2010, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

Iguleder wrote:Hey, sounds like a good plan.

I'd love to help you with development, I think I can help in many areas.
Welcome aboard!
:D
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Iguleder

#19 Post by Iguleder »

I'll begin with hacking a svn GPicView for Lupu. Sounds like a fun project. Maybe I rebrand it as PImage or something ... :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

stu90

#20 Post by stu90 »

I know 5.0 aim was to have the traditional puppy look / desktop layout but how about a new look/layout for 5.1?