Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#81 Post by playdayz »

There is an experimental development release toward Lucid Puppy 5.1, named luci-201, in the first message of this thread. It is not an update to Lupu-501. It should be booted pfix=ram.

This is the first ever release of uPup in which the DRI/GLX graphics are working correctly.

James C

#82 Post by James C »

Quick live pfix=ram test of Luci -201 on my Ubuntu 10.04/Mandriva 2010.1 box........xorgwizard worked fine to get my desired 1024x768x24 resolution(onboard ProSavage KM-133 graphics).

Using Midori right now and its fast but.....................it's already crashed once and the scroll bar appears and disappears seemingly at random.At the moment it's correct.

More testing later.... :)

James C

#83 Post by James C »

As soon as the previous post was entered the scroll bar went away again, see screenie.... :)
Attachments
midori-no scroll bar.png
(129.24 KiB) Downloaded 1127 times

James C

#84 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
I built a Luci pup with Midori today--because Webkit is 15MB, we only save about 8MB, from 18 to 26 from the Seamonkey stripped version we have in 5.0. But, in addition to the small savings in MB, we also get a current browser that we can update--many people might want to just stop with Midori which in addition to running Cups and sytem help files can also serve as a day to day browser. I want to continue looking though, just in case one of the even smaller browsers might pass the "running Cups" test. But, and I am about to test this, Midori and WebKit together take 18MB--how much does a current version of Firefox take? And can Firefox be stripped any?
What about tweaking Ttuuxxx's Firepup ......the last version was only 9.8 MB.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 370#243370

It would need some tweaking, it takes over as default browser and doesn't play well with newer versions of Firefox but it's small, fast and plays streaming videos fine.No printer here so I'm not sure about Cups though.

Just an idea........ :lol:

Jim1911

#85 Post by Jim1911 »

1. New frugal installation of luci-201 with Pfix=ram, video set up properly, also alsa conf, and CUPS. Upon reboot the screen goes blank and there is no offer to create a save file. The out was Ctrl-Alt-Backspace which rebooted the system, instead of going to a prompt.

2. Next I updated a lucisave file which updated fine. Then I installed nvidia-195 pet which installed the driver fine but nvidia-setting doesn’t work.

Code: Select all

# nvidia-settings
Segmentation fault
# 
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 201
Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 05610002 Chip Rev
Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia
Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution:  Depth 24  Depth: “Display

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-201 - Midori

#86 Post by Billtoo »

I booted lucid puppy 201 with pfix=ram and chose probe in xorg.
here is part of the var/log file

II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
(**) RADEON(0): DPMS enabled
(==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
(II) RADEON(0): Set up textured video
Output CRT1 disable success
Output DIG0 transmitter setup success
Blank CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC memreq 0 success
Disable CRTC 0 success
Blank CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC memreq 1 success
Disable CRTC 1 success
Output DIG0 transmitter setup success
Blank CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC memreq 0 success
Disable CRTC 0 success
Mode 1920x1080 - 2200 1125 5
(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
(II) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION : 0x00cf00c0 0x00cf00c0
(II) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION : 0x00030000
Picked PLL 0
before 14850
after 14850
best_freq: 148570
best_feedback_div: 166
best_frac_feedback_div: 0
best_ref_div: 2
best_post_div: 8

I downloaded openarena and ran it at 1920x1080 and it ran perfectly (after installing a few missing libs)

That's it so far.

Later:

I tried to run gxine but it wouldn't start so I downloaded vlc 1.06 and used it to play a dvd movie, attached is sreenshot.
Attachments
standbyme.jpg
(142.57 KiB) Downloaded 456 times

playdayz

#87 Post by playdayz »

the scroll bar appears and disappears seemingly at random
I saw that also--I'm glad you did--I thought I was losing it ;-)

I should have stressed more that this is the first build from the latest Woof and the latest Ubuntu files. Everything up through 5.01 was built from the old Woof and Ubuntu files that were frozen about April 15 or so. We hope this time to not have to freeze anything and to keep updating Woof and the Ubuntu files.

I had some trouble with Midori on this Murga-linux site--which often is very slow--it seemed like Midori would give up too soon and report failure to connect. Next time I will try the Ubuntu build--which is larger--to see how it behaves.

I worked on Cups all afternoon and once again I think I have it--I can report the good news of fixing Cups just about every day ;-)

Oh, Jim1911, do you generally use the nvidia pet--that gave a seg fault with luci-201?

Billtoo--I didn't test gxine--sorry--I really didn't test much besides the graphics i guess. It looks like you should be getting full hardware acceleration. I really want to work on multimedia playback for 5.1--maybe even changing to gstreamer/mplayer or even VLC.

James C. I thought of Firepup--I am sure it could be trained to play nicely--one thing though is that I think it would be good to have a current version of whatever we use--that is just sort of one of the things Lucid is about. It is not always rational I know. That is why midori is worth some trouble in my opinion, because it is current and under development and can be updated--even though updating is often accompanied by pain!

Jim1911

#88 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:Oh, Jim1911, do you generally use the nvidia pet--that gave a seg fault with luci-201?
Yes, the proper nvidia driver appears to be loaded the seg fault apparently just affects the nvidia-settings application.

The most serious problem I've noted is the inability to create a save file since it doesn't reboot or shutdown properly from booting with pfix=ram.

Jim

8-bit

#89 Post by 8-bit »

In planning for the new version/update of Puppy 5, I would suggest the modification to the /etc/rc.d/shutdown script that Patriot make referenced in this post.
After making the modification in Puppy 5.00, I had clean shutdowns on my frugal install as verified by booting another Puppy version and doing an e2fsck of the lupusave file.

8-bit

#90 Post by 8-bit »

I noticed that Snap2 for backups is offered, but I saw no mention of Hotpup.
I use Hotpup for easy backups of my lupusave file in Puppy 5.00 and I can not see why it would not work with other versions also.
You give it a destination drive and directory and it creates a backup, runs e2fsck on it and names it with the date and time of the backup appended to the filename.

James C

#91 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install with new save file of Luci-201 on the old P3 test box.Set the correct resolution (1024x768x24) with Xorgwizard........made new save file and rebooted, all settings were saved..........and Midori's scroll bar is still disappearing at random times. :lol:

I've experienced the "failure to connect" with Midori here on the forum as well. :)

TomRhymer

Luci 201

#92 Post by TomRhymer »

Testing on Aspire One D-150, booting from flash drive.

Good news is new version remembers video settings.

Bad news is neither Pmusic nor Gxine play.

Billtoo

The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-201 - Midori

#93 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install with luci-201 on a pc with intel graphics, chose probe at xorg.

# glxgears
5605 frames in 5.0 seconds
6061 frames in 5.0 seconds
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 47519 requests (47516 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 201

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

I installed the devx file from 501 and downloaded some apps in puppy package manager.
Openarena runs perfectly at 1440x900 resolution.

In an earlier post in this thread I tested 201 in a pc with ati graphics and things went well until I increased the size of the save file, that knocked it back to no accelerated graphics and things like openarena and nexuiz are no longer playable.

The full install on this pc with intel graphics is working well, I added vlc and tunapie and they work perfect.

that's it so far.
Attachments
misery.jpg
(102.23 KiB) Downloaded 563 times

rhadon

#94 Post by rhadon »

Same problem as TomRhymer,

gxine not working. Missing lib libmozjs.so. Found it in Lupo-501, /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.18/.
Copied to /usr/lib and gxine woks :D

Glxgears run fast! No problems so far, CUPS works, Wlan works.
I like Quickpet for choosing browser,update and changing drivers. It's a good way (my opinion).

I've had no DSL for 3 month and it's incredible how many things have changed in Puppy during this time! I'm really enthusiastic. :D

~ Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

playdayz

#95 Post by playdayz »

# glxgears
Hey Billtoo, the fatal i/o error is just what happens when you close the gears window. How did you add VLC? That is one possible solution to multimedia playback.

Rhadon, Thanks for catching the gxine solution. I removed Seamonkey and kept some of the libraries in order for Flashplayer to work--I did not know that gxine needed one also.

Thanks everyone for testing luci-201. it is an experimental release, mostly to test the dri/glx video. I will continue with this policy, to name experimental releases luci-xxx instead of lupu. But everything that anyone notices is helpful so that we can fix things now instead of waiting until we start official lupu releases toward 5.1.

I did not have any trouble creating a save file, so I thought about inclouding the shutdown fix but didn't. I will next time 8-bit, unless Barry beats us to it and puts it in Woof.

Billtoo

#96 Post by Billtoo »

playdayz wrote:
# glxgears
Hey Billtoo, the fatal i/o error is just what happens when you close the gears window. How did you add VLC? That is one possible solution to multimedia playback.

I updated the repositories in the puppy package manager and installed it from there.
It can't be run as root so I go to the console and su to user spot, and then start vlc.There is most likely a better solution but this works.

It only takes a few minutes to update the repositories and add vlc so it's easily available to those who want to use it, unless the user has a dialup connection which would make adding it tough.

playdayz

#97 Post by playdayz »

New frugal installation of luci-201 with Pfix=ram, video set up properly, also alsa conf, and CUPS. Upon reboot the screen goes blank and there is no offer to create a save file. The out was Ctrl-Alt-Backspace which rebooted the system, instead of going to a prompt.
Jim1911, are you game to look up that the shutdown fix--it is linked in one of the Lucid puppy threads, and try it out. Many people would help if you had any questions. Thanks either way ;-)
I updated the repositories in the puppy package manager and installed it from there.
It can't be run as root so I go to the console and su to user spot, and then start vlc.There is most likely a better solution but this works.
How easy is that Billtoo. Thanks. VLC made me so mad when they simply would not let it be run as root. Some other programs highly recommend not running as root of course, but they always leave an option. Your solution is the best so far. We would want to automate the process of course if we included it in Lucid Puppy 5.1. I hope some people will test the heck out of VLC--is it stable, does it play everything, does it work with the browsers?

8-bit

#98 Post by 8-bit »

glxgears will always give an error if you close it using the close X button in the window.
The correct way to exit glxgears is to press the escape key with the glxgears window highlighted.
I have never got any errors on exiting glxgears that way.

Jim1911

#99 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:
New frugal installation of luci-201 with Pfix=ram, video set up properly, also alsa conf, and CUPS. Upon reboot the screen goes blank and there is no offer to create a save file. The out was Ctrl-Alt-Backspace which rebooted the system, instead of going to a prompt.
Jim1911, are you game to look up that the shutdown fix--it is linked in one of the Lucid puppy threads, and try it out. Many people would help if you had any questions. Thanks either way ;-)
The only fix that I've been able to find is to add the code nomodeset that tazoc suggested to solve a black screen problem with his new Lighthouse 5.0 that uses the same kernel. It's possibly some conflict with the new kernel compile options, and maybe only affects nvidia cards. When I add the above code to my menu.lst, the Probe option fails to locate the proper driver for my nvidia card, however, typing nv in the Choose option provides an operational driver and the shutdown menu now works properly.

Maybe Barry can be convinced to look into the kernel conflicts.

Hope this points you to a fix,
Jim

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

James C

#100 Post by James C »

Just installed VLC on my frugal install of Luci-201........running as user "spot". :)

Only a quick test so far but it does play a regular audio cd.....but with some error messages I didn't capture.Ooops. :)

Screenshot is first launch of VLC from terminal, of interest is the failure to create a configuration directory.

More indepth testing later. :)