Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
trio

Congrats

#76 Post by trio »

Hi,

just wanna say Congrats to Playdayz and my good friend Micko ... main developer huh mate? Who would have guessed about a year ago??
I do not have time now, have not played with puppy for a while......

01micko

#77 Post by 01micko »

ha! Click on clock??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Trio

I know you are busy mate, but good to see you drop in from time to time. :wink:

(edit: um, I made a widget yesterday too! :lol: check THE thread!)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gerry

#78 Post by gerry »

I reported some time ago that when I run Lupu (or Dpup) on my Acer Aspire 1, with both Firefox and Seamonkey the screen breaks into horizontal streaks when I use the mouse and the scroll bar to scroll quickly up or down. Opera works ok.
I thought this might be confined to the AA1, but I have now tried Lupu 500 on my desktop, Intel Celeron 600MHz, 256MB ram, and get the same effect.
I've never had this effect before with other Puppies, and it is only with FF and Seamonkey- Opera is OK.

gerry

ICPUG

#79 Post by ICPUG »

This is a very minor point but isn't it about time somebody looked at the text displayed when the welcome bar is clicked and edit it. It seems to have been the original version with simply the puppy version changed.

It still refers to a closed sourced app, which as far as I am aware last appeared in a Puppy 1 version (or perhaps even earlier).

More importantly it says Barry is the developer of Lucid when he isn't!

Abnormalter

#80 Post by Abnormalter »

In short and main... As my attempt to using Lupu 5 under Asus eeePC 900.

1. The Alsa supported not some sound card (haven't any sounds). Also please see my post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 482#419482
(ALL oldest Puppy from 4.2 to 4.84 true recognize and play sound card of my eeePC 900 "in box" !!!)

2. Tray Applet says: "Battary charging: capacity = 1%" But I use my eeePC by Power only and AC has 100% energy! -- other OS indicate it true. Also please see my post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 218#419218

And next pp.3,4 describes situation, who I see on my Desktop PC or Netbook, i.e. hardware not depended.

3. I confirm that /etc/X11/xorg.conf file haven't section "InputDevice" for keybord definition... On this can be problems for adding new (additional) layouts for other languages. See my post please: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 236#419236

4. After any manipulation for SFS can be black screen without desktop' icons for next start Puppy. See also here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 218#419218 (On p.4)

It's my first testing Lupu500 (as frugal install on two PC) at time about two days... On Desktop PC I can use it, but not for my netbook... :(

UPD:
5. The LuPu 5 has very long timeout, about 15-20 seconds or more, for restart or shutdown PC (or restart X too) -- it's have been between pressing Restart/shutdown buttons and closing X (i.e. put to black screen for displaying "saving ..." message). Any oldest Distros haven't this long timeout! It's strange behavior for closing X...

6. After saving lupusave-xxx.3fs file (if I use ext3 format for it) at shutdown OS trow a message: "Journal commit I/O error", but it's presents for NTFS filesystem on Hold Drive only (used for Frugal Install). However, I find not any errors on this filesystem or dangerous situations for my /root data for about two days using this OS as experiment...

edoc

Re: black screen with first boot

#81 Post by edoc »

ariel wrote: what I did to make it work is to boot with
puppy pfix=nox
...to stop the X server from trying to start. then I typed
xorg-setup.old
Puppy didn't recognize this, gave me an error. I tried xorg=setup.old and didn't get an error, just back to the prompt.
ariel wrote: xwin
Blank or black screen.

:-(

UPDATE: I tried it again and this time it worked, no idea why.

Wireless connected fine the first try (LHP 4.43 Gu3 always has to try 3x before a connection, not sure of the difference).

Tried Barry's Browser and it works fine - even handled most of the
http://myfoxhurricane.com site which has brought other browsers to their knees. It didn't render the Chatango Live Chat window fully - just the box for it - and there were a couple of large radar or satellite windows at the bottom that didn't populate ... though maybe they were just coming in slowly and I lost patience. There was also some text-graphic overlap, but I've not seen this page rendered 100% correctly yet, some of the code is sloppy and it appears to have been optimized for a MS version of windows - shame on them for not being 100% platform neutral.

I will try some of the other browsers later.

CUPS also seems to be working better than prior versions - though I am fearful of what may happen when I bring up a laptop at the same time with a different version of CUPS - that usually results in collisions and all manner or mayhem. :-(

So far ... looks great!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

edoc

#82 Post by edoc »

Tried to set up my HP P1006 printer by installing the plugin PET the running the plugin installer. What follows was the result - any ideas as to what it is telling me, please?
# cd /mnt/sda2/savestuff/downloads
# install_hp_plugin hp_laserjet_p1006.plugin
Installing plugin...
lj-x86_32.so
lj-x86_64.so
hp_laserjet_p1006-hpijs.ppd
hp_laserjet_p1006.fw.gz
86-hpmud-hp_laserjet_p1006.rules
LICENSE
hp_laserjet_p1006-plugin.version
cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/hplip/prnt/plugins/': No such file or directory
cp: target `/usr/share/hplip/prnt/plugins/' is not a directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/hplip/data/firmware/': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/ppd/HP/': Is a directory
# # cd /mnt/sda2/savestuff/downloads
# # install_hp_plugin hp_laserjet_p1006.plugin
# Installing plugin...
bash: Installing: command not found
# lj-x86_32.so
bash: lj-x86_32.so: command not found
# lj-x86_64.so
bash: lj-x86_64.so: command not found
# hp_laserjet_p1006-hpijs.ppd
bash: hp_laserjet_p1006-hpijs.ppd: command not found
# hp_laserjet_p1006.fw.gz
bash: hp_laserjet_p1006.fw.gz: command not found
# 86-hpmud-hp_laserjet_p1006.rules
bash: 86-hpmud-hp_laserjet_p1006.rules: command not found
# LICENSE
bash: LICENSE: command not found
# hp_laserjet_p1006-plugin.version
bash: hp_laserjet_p1006-plugin.version: command not found
# cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/hplip/prnt/plugins/': No such file or directory
> cp: target `/usr/share/hplip/prnt/plugins/' is not a directory
> cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/hplip/data/firmware/': No such file or directory
bash: command substitution: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
bash: command substitution: line 3: syntax error: unexpected end of file
bash: cp:: command not found
# cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/ppd/HP/': Is a directory
> #
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

upnorth

blkid gparted?

#83 Post by upnorth »

gparted is working properly, displaying uuids here.
one thing different is that i dropped in /sbin/blkid obtained from elsewhere.
anyone with quirky could copy its /sbin/blkid to /sbin. it might help gparted.

edoc

#84 Post by edoc »

OK, after a couple of tries I need some guidance.

When I rebooted it failed to save the display settings so I had to boot from CD again. :-(

How do I force it to boot into VESA mode until I figure out the XORG?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

rameshiyer

Internet connection through HTTP Proxy

#85 Post by rameshiyer »

I am using Lucid Puppy 5.00 ( full install HDD), However, I regret to inform you that I am not able to use Chromium-browser due to lack of Internet connectivity. As I am getting internet through HTTP Proxy. However, I am not able to setup proxy setup option under Chromium browser. This software option is NOT opening for providing proxy value. Any other methods to enable this option in Chromium.

In quirky, I managed to connect internet in Google Chrome by creating an bin extension fie. The contents of the file is given below:-

http://200.200.200.5:6588
Https://200.200.200.5:6588

However, this methods also fails in Chromium-browser in Lucid Puppy. Looking forward your solution.

DaveS

#86 Post by DaveS »

Unable to get USB printer recognised. Fix was to remove usb cable from network socket and plug it into usb socket DUH! :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#87 Post by DaveS »

Dougals remaster script (latest version) borks the package manager. I dont know how to fix it but the work around is to back up the hidden directory /root/.packages before remaster, then restore from the back up after. (you can use renaming instead if you wish).
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

lluamco

#88 Post by lluamco »

edoc wrote:Tried to set up my HP P1006 printer by installing the plugin PET the running the plugin installer. What follows was the result - any ideas as to what it is telling me, please?
Hi edoc.
It seems that some directories are missing. You could try creating them, or, if you prefer, installing the pet attached, which takes care of it. Once installed, you should proceed as before: (The name of the executable is not changed)

Code: Select all

install_hp_plugin hp_laserjet_p1006.plugin
I am not familiar with Lucid puppy and the Cups version it uses, so other problems can also appear...
Anyway, I hope that helps.
Attachments
install_hp_plugin-2.0.pet
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 403 times

upnorth

proxy in chromium

#89 Post by upnorth »

@rameshiyer
this is the option that needs to be passed to chromium-browser:
--proxy-server=host:port
or
--proxy-pac-url=
or
--proxy-auto-detect

See if you have /etc/chromium-browser/default
example

Code: Select all

# Default settings for chromium-browser. This file is sourced by /bin/sh from
# /usr/bin/chromium-browser

# Options to pass to chromium-browser
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--proxy-server=localhost:8118"
here is a view of source code showing most passable options:
http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src/c ... witches.cc

Of course, one can modify the appropriate .desktop file to add startup options as well.
Last edited by upnorth on Fri 21 May 2010, 00:58, edited 2 times in total.

Jim1911

Re: blkid gparted?

#90 Post by Jim1911 »

upnorth wrote:gparted is working properly, displaying uuids here.
one thing different is that i dropped in /sbin/blkid obtained from elsewhere.
anyone with quirky could copy its /sbin/blkid to /sbin. it might help gparted.
Great! It worked.
Thanks,
Jim

Ron

#91 Post by Ron »

Don't know if this is a bug; no one else has mentioned it yet. When using FF on Lupu, when I scroll up or down fast enough on some but not all sites, the text either smears badly or leaves missing lines. Ironically, this forum site is one that does it.

FF under 4.3.1 does not do this. Seamonkey under Lupu does not do this.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I just got Lupu working on another computer and FF does not exhibit this problem there. The older computer is slightly slower, a AMD Sempron around 2Ghz and 1 MB memory, so not all that slow. I would blame Firefox, but this does not happen with FF under 4.3.1 on the same computer.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#92 Post by Béèm »

Ron wrote:Don't know if this is a bug; no one else has mentioned it yet. When using FF on Lupu, when I scroll up or down fast enough on some but not all sites, the text either smears badly or leaves missing lines. Ironically, this forum site is one that does it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I just got Lupu working on another computer and FF does not exhibit this problem there. The older computer is slightly slower, a AMD Sempron around 2Ghz and 1 MB memory, so not all that slow. I would blame Firefox, but this does not happen with FF under 4.3.1 on the same computer.
This has been reported before.
I get it sometimes in SeaMonkey also, even in OpenOffice.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

JustGreg

#93 Post by JustGreg »

I have a strange occurrence with Lucid. With Quirky 1.10, the nv xorg driver works great. But, with Lucid, it fails and I have to use the proprietary nvidia pet. I thought both had the same xorg drivers. I am using an Acer Aspire Revo (nvidia ion chip set) with AOC LCD (1360 by 768). I will keep trying things to see if I can more information on the difference between the two distributions and the use of the nv driver. Thanks for Lucid, it is nice and will be better in the future.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Bamoset

Dougal's Remaster

#94 Post by Bamoset »

DaveS wrote:Dougals remaster script (latest version) borks the package manager. I dont know how to fix it but the work around is to back up the hidden directory /root/.packages before remaster, then restore from the back up after. (you can use renaming instead if you wish).
Hi DaveS,
Also as a workaround you might try the Dougal remaster script by Panzerkopf at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 780f24a001 I have had good luck with this script in that it seems to retain all packages as well as CUPS setup in the remaster.

Bamoset

#95 Post by Bamoset »

Béèm wrote:
Ron wrote:Don't know if this is a bug; no one else has mentioned it yet. When using FF on Lupu, when I scroll up or down fast enough on some but not all sites, the text either smears badly or leaves missing lines. Ironically, this forum site is one that does it.

Any ideas?

This has been reported before.
I get it sometimes in SeaMonkey also, even in OpenOffice.
The scrolling problem, the refresh under window problem mentioned here, as well as a transparent menu problem and lines like spider webs on the screen that I haven't seen mentioned yet but I have had with LUPU-500, began to occur when I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 last October. In fact, it is what brought me to Puppy in the first place.I Think its a kernel or XORG problem imported to Puppy from Ubuntu. Graphics card here is SIS Mirage2, 128MB shared video memory (SIS 760). There is a driver for this card in LUPU, but the VESA driver seems to work better.