Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
wuwei

#61 Post by wuwei »

I am running Lucid Puppy 5.0 for a few days now and it presents itself flawlessly. Complements for a job very well done!

Yet...there is one little quirk that most users will not experience and that I have reported on previously.

The pppoe connection is not maintained during reboots!

Most people will have a DSL connection and a router. In that case running the network wizard, establishing AutoDHCP and saving the settings is all one needs to do. The connection is auto-established at the next boot. This is what I get at one of my locations.

At the other location I do not have a router, only a DSL modem which needs to be setup with a pppoe connection. That works fine with Roaring Penguin initially.
In other Puppies, notably ttuuxxx's 432v3 (and 214xRC5), all it takes to retain the connection is to symlink /usr/sbin/pppoe-start_shell to /root/Startup. This procedure is not working in Lupu 5 or any earlier version.

I have created a work around and made a file pppoe.sh in /root/Startup with this content:

Code: Select all

sleep 10
pppoe-stop_shell 
/action
sleep 5
pppoe-start_shell
/action
Shorter sleep times didn't seem to work. Plus, during the first 15 seconds any other action by the user will disturb this process. This is no big deal but definitely a bug that should be fixed. A newcomer will probably find this behavior unacceptable and discard an otherwise very well created Puppy.

playdayz, if you don't have pppoe it is understandable that you are reluctant to address this issue. Yet for the few who need it, it's a major stumbling block. I am not versed enough but it seems to me that when ttuuxxx did it right, it should be possible to find out the differences between the two versions of Puppy and apply what works in 432v3 to 5.0. Don't you agree?

Just to make you feel better: Quirky 1.1 (of all versions!) has the same problem. Plus...pppoe disconnects after running for some time. I have to do some more testing, before I can say the latter definitely.
Last edited by wuwei on Tue 18 May 2010, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

KusaNoKaito

#62 Post by KusaNoKaito »

I've been trying to boot to Puppy 5.0 CD but after it loads the system into ram I get:

Switchroot: mount failed:, Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#63 Post by Béèm »

KusaNoKaito wrote:I've been trying to boot to Puppy 5.0 CD but after it loads the system into ram I get:

Thanks
If you created the CD in Windows, verify that no file name contains upper case characters. Depending on the burn program used, this happens.
You do have the lupu-500.sfs on the CD.

Did you check if the md5 sum was correct? A bad burn?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

KusaNoKaito

#64 Post by KusaNoKaito »

Béèm wrote:
KusaNoKaito wrote:I've been trying to boot to Puppy 5.0 CD but after it loads the system into ram I get:

Thanks
If you created the CD in Windows, verify that no file name contains upper case characters. Depending on the burn program used, this happens.

The whole .ISO was burnt to the CD, I used burnISO2cd, as puppy431 is my primary OS.

It seemed to have burned ok, but it seems to work only if I dump the files from the CD into a ext4 partition. (poor mans install)

drbongo

No Xorg session

#65 Post by drbongo »

Hi Guys, I am trying to boot Puppy 5.0 on a Toshiba Satellite A10 which has no hard drive and always works flawlessly with Puppy, including 4.31. The new version boots, but the screen just goes blank and doesn't get any further so I assume the new xorg commands are not detecting the display properly. I tried to start in console mode which worked - but was unable to run xorgwizard and when I typed startx the same blank screen appeared. Any suggestions?

drbongo

rjbrewer

Re: No Xorg session

#66 Post by rjbrewer »

drbongo wrote:Hi Guys, I am trying to boot Puppy 5.0 on a Toshiba Satellite A10 which has no hard drive and always works flawlessly with Puppy, including 4.31. The new version boots, but the screen just goes blank and doesn't get any further so I assume the new xorg commands are not detecting the display properly. I tried to start in console mode which worked - but was unable to run xorgwizard and when I typed startx the same blank screen appeared. Any suggestions?

drbongo
Maybe this will help:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 083#419083

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#67 Post by Béèm »

KusaNoKaito wrote:
Béèm wrote:

Thanks

The whole .ISO was burnt to the CD, I used burnISO2cd, as puppy431 is my primary OS.

It seemed to have burned ok, but it seems to work only if I dump the files from the CD into a ext4 partition. (poor mans install)
Always be as precise as possible. Tell what did work, what didn't work, detail about your system, partitioning, contents of menu.lst.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

DaveS

#68 Post by DaveS »

Finally got this working, had to make a few compromises along the way. Had to use the old xorg wizard to get a UK keyboard working and accept a 'suspect' video driver, though it seems ok. Had some problems during configuration where the whole system would slow to a crawl, especially setting up printing. Talking of which, it was nice to download and install the HP printer stuff via the package manager from the Lucid repo and have it 'just work'. Went for Opera just to be different and am pleased and surprised by the default configuration.Usually Opera takes an age to set up. Tried Dude 03 but got some strange results from mouse actions, so dropped it for now. Open Office seems to play nicely, essential for me, but in puppy terms, this is a pretty big distro. I guess if I remastered without OO (which I have as sfs) it would approach 200 meg. Doesnt seem to slow it down though, and with Opera configured to not use its cache or security database, the save file is holding at a steady value.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

prehistoric

Lucid 500 on Phenom II quad processor

#69 Post by prehistoric »

Just installed Lucid Puppy 500 on a friend's monster machine, (with too much RAM (8GB?) and an AMD Phenom II quad-core running at 3 GHz, and Nvidia Quadro NVS graphics) without major problems. The bug in setting the timezone appears to be a matter of updating the displayed timezone, and possibly other variables.

When I left he seemed happy using Firefox and the wired connection set up with simple network setup. I had also installed the OO sfs, and checked that it was working. While I was doing this, I found the same USB flash drive bug just noticed on Quirky 1.1.
There may be a minor bug in unmounting USB flash drives. I just moved an sfs file (using a flash drive) to a machine running Quirky. After copying it from there to the internal hard drive, I unmounted the flash drive using the right click option on the drive icon. The blinking light on the flash drive never did want to quit, even though nothing was being written to the flash drive and the copy to the internal drive was complete.

As I suspected it was safe to remove the drive, I rebooted the machine, using the shutdown menu, and, sure enough, the light stopped blinking immediately.

tubeguy

Re: Chromium bug?

#70 Post by tubeguy »

jemimah wrote:
tubeguy wrote:I got a "security cert revoked" error when accessing gmail this morning, see attachment. Firefox does not show any problem though.
SSL in chrome does not work unless your timezone and system time are correctly set. I'm guessing that's what your problem is.
You were right, timezone was incorrect. 8)
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

rcrsn51

Re: Lucid 500 on Phenom II quad processor

#71 Post by rcrsn51 »

prehistoric wrote: While I was doing this, I found the same USB flash drive bug just noticed on Quirky 1.1
FWIW, I could not duplicate this problem in Quirky. I tried several flash drives and they all copied large files correctly.

gcmartin

F2 Boot to RAM yields an err

#72 Post by gcmartin »

This is/may have been reported already.

When I boot Puppy 5.0, it seems to be having troubles when I enter cheatcodes. "puppy pfix=ram"

Puppy message indicates it is searching my HDD for a prior Puppy. Then, errors with a message that it could not find lpup-500.sfs and ends by putting the system in Linux console mode.

But, if I do nothing, that is, boot and do NOT go to F2, the system will boot to RAM and I get a desktop as I expected.

Here's my machine configuration, if needed

Code: Select all

-Computer-
Processor		: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory		: 969MB (88MB used)
Operating System		: Puppy Linux 0.50
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Tue 18 May 2010 09:19:34 PM EDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Unknown
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: ICH - SiS SI7012
Audio Adapter		: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set  
-Input Devices-
 MosArt Optical Mouse
   USB Keyboard
   USB Keyboard
 C-Media USB Headphone Set
 Power Button
 Sleep Button
 Power Button
 PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>
CUPS-PDF@192.168.0.203
CUPS-PDF@192.168.0.209
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD400EB-00CP
ATA FUJITSU MPF3102A
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252F
Hope this helps in some small way....

Minomushi

Re: F2 Boot to RAM yields an err

#73 Post by Minomushi »

Hello, gcmartin
When I boot Puppy 5.0, it seems to be having troubles when I enter cheatcodes. "puppy pfix=ram"
Do when you add "pmedia=scsihd" :?:
Therefore, for instance "puppy pfix=ram pmedia=scsihd".

Please teach me the manufacturer and the model name of your PC to make sure.

Puppy Linux Japanese Edition
PC operation results page
Last edited by Minomushi on Wed 19 May 2010, 04:12, edited 5 times in total.

Minomushi

#74 Post by Minomushi »

Hello, KusaNoKaito
I've been trying to boot to Puppy 5.0 CD but after it loads the system into ram I get:

The manufacturer and the model name of your PC :?:
And, does the connection destination of CD-ROM drive :?:

ariel

keyboard problems

#75 Post by ariel »

I've tried to run in ram lupu on a different laptop 128Mb ram / 500Mhz and I've got a different response than before.

-xorg applied the correct driver in the first boot but was unable to write in xorg.conf the keyboard layout

I think most of the complaints about this issue may be worked around by manually editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf with something like this:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "YOURLOCALE" #xkeymap0
EndSection

meaning by YOURLOCALE us, gb, fr, it or whatever

and then restart X:
menu>shutdown>restart X server

if you try to change the locale keyboard from

setup>configure puppy for your country>chose keyboard layout for your country

without having previously modified xorg.conf the computer hangs, or the screen gets split into a half and you must restart X

-I've found out that JWM configuration that you find in the Desktop menu does weird things when you try to change the background.
try to change to a different wallpaper than the one being used and click apply. then chose another wallpaper and continue clicking on apply or stretched/centre/tile/scale. you will see the wallpaper change on each click.

-the screen is affected by a steady flicker

trio

Congrats

#76 Post by trio »

Hi,

just wanna say Congrats to Playdayz and my good friend Micko ... main developer huh mate? Who would have guessed about a year ago??
I do not have time now, have not played with puppy for a while......

01micko

#77 Post by 01micko »

ha! Click on clock??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Trio

I know you are busy mate, but good to see you drop in from time to time. :wink:

(edit: um, I made a widget yesterday too! :lol: check THE thread!)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gerry

#78 Post by gerry »

I reported some time ago that when I run Lupu (or Dpup) on my Acer Aspire 1, with both Firefox and Seamonkey the screen breaks into horizontal streaks when I use the mouse and the scroll bar to scroll quickly up or down. Opera works ok.
I thought this might be confined to the AA1, but I have now tried Lupu 500 on my desktop, Intel Celeron 600MHz, 256MB ram, and get the same effect.
I've never had this effect before with other Puppies, and it is only with FF and Seamonkey- Opera is OK.

gerry

ICPUG

#79 Post by ICPUG »

This is a very minor point but isn't it about time somebody looked at the text displayed when the welcome bar is clicked and edit it. It seems to have been the original version with simply the puppy version changed.

It still refers to a closed sourced app, which as far as I am aware last appeared in a Puppy 1 version (or perhaps even earlier).

More importantly it says Barry is the developer of Lucid when he isn't!

Abnormalter

#80 Post by Abnormalter »

In short and main... As my attempt to using Lupu 5 under Asus eeePC 900.

1. The Alsa supported not some sound card (haven't any sounds). Also please see my post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 482#419482
(ALL oldest Puppy from 4.2 to 4.84 true recognize and play sound card of my eeePC 900 "in box" !!!)

2. Tray Applet says: "Battary charging: capacity = 1%" But I use my eeePC by Power only and AC has 100% energy! -- other OS indicate it true. Also please see my post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 218#419218

And next pp.3,4 describes situation, who I see on my Desktop PC or Netbook, i.e. hardware not depended.

3. I confirm that /etc/X11/xorg.conf file haven't section "InputDevice" for keybord definition... On this can be problems for adding new (additional) layouts for other languages. See my post please: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 236#419236

4. After any manipulation for SFS can be black screen without desktop' icons for next start Puppy. See also here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 218#419218 (On p.4)

It's my first testing Lupu500 (as frugal install on two PC) at time about two days... On Desktop PC I can use it, but not for my netbook... :(

UPD:
5. The LuPu 5 has very long timeout, about 15-20 seconds or more, for restart or shutdown PC (or restart X too) -- it's have been between pressing Restart/shutdown buttons and closing X (i.e. put to black screen for displaying "saving ..." message). Any oldest Distros haven't this long timeout! It's strange behavior for closing X...

6. After saving lupusave-xxx.3fs file (if I use ext3 format for it) at shutdown OS trow a message: "Journal commit I/O error", but it's presents for NTFS filesystem on Hold Drive only (used for Frugal Install). However, I find not any errors on this filesystem or dangerous situations for my /root data for about two days using this OS as experiment...