Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
smokey01

Re: Memory problems in LuPu501

#271 Post by smokey01 »

Hattmannen wrote: However, there seems to be a problem with freeing up memory. I didn't notice a t first and the first few boots seemed to run as it was supposed.
I've installed Firefox on my AMD Sempron 3000+ notebook with 384MiB RAM and opened up two tabs. One with a youtube video that I let play in the backgroud, the other with facebook. Before opening firefox I had aproximately 170 MiB RAM free (can't remember the exact number). After using said setup for about 10 minutes I checked the free RAM again (using the console command free) and found it to be down to only 54MiB.
Fine I though. Browser+Flash eats memory. I closed Firefox and checked the memory again. No change. Still only 54MiB of free ram.
I went on to create a 256MiB swap partition and rebooted.
Lo and behold. With nothing other than a console window opened I had now 54MiB of free RAM. The swap file is unused though (as in free), but is loaded correctly while booting.
Hattmannen, I think you may be confusing memory with the pup_save file free space. At the bottom right hand side of your screen you will see something like the the attached graphic. The little square that displays, in my case 1.1G free, has nothing to do with memory or RAM. It is letting you know how much free space you have in your pup_save file. As you said above you installed puppy frugally. This means a pup_save file was created. All of your settings and additional software you installed are inside the pup_save file by default unless you manually placed them elsewhere. As your pup_save file diminishes you can goto Menu>Utility>Resize personal storage file to increase it. It's not a good idea to make it too big but I have had some quite large ones over the years without problems. It's generally a good idea to keep documents and photos outside of the pup_save file. I also keep my emails outside too which means I can use a number of different distros and use the same mail files. I always use seamonkey to maintain compatibility.

Hope this helps.

Smokey
Attachments
free.png
Is this what you were referring to?
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 1924 times

Hattmannen

#272 Post by Hattmannen »

smokey01 wrote:I think you may be confusing memory with the pup_save file free space. At the bottom right hand side of your screen you will see something like the the attached graphic. The little square that displays, in my case 1.1G free, has nothing to do with memory or RAM. It is letting you know how much free space you have in your pup_save file.
Hi! Sorry if I was unclear. The bottom right square saying "###M free" is the space left in the pup_save-file. I gathered as much from the forum, but thanks anyway.

To check how much free RAM I had avalible I opened up a console window and used the command free. I.e.
# free
Hattmannen wrote: /../After using said setup for about 10 minutes I checked the free RAM again (using the console command free) and found it to be down to only 54MiB.
Sorry if it was unclear. I only used that command when checking memory usage.
Here's the figures as I am writing now:

Code: Select all

total           used           free            shared    buffers
Mem:       384868       340460        44408            0         7308
This is while running only Firefox and a urxvt console window.
When closing firefox free memory goes up to about 70MiB.
This confuses me since Puppy only consumes about 128MiB of RAM when I boot it with parameter pfix=ram, thus loading everything into RAM.

Thanks for the help anyway. Any other suggestions are welcome! :)

smokey01

#273 Post by smokey01 »

Hattmannen, I use Seamonkey 2.0.5 mail and browser. When both are loaded I lose about 55676 of memory using the free command. I'm guessing but I'm sure the puppy files are all loaded into memory when using a frugal install, if you have enough memory. One of the reasons puppy runs so fast. I guess there would also be cached files in memory.

Zarniwoop

Puppy 5 doesn't work in VirtualBox

#274 Post by Zarniwoop »

Hello!

I wanted to try Puppy 5, so I created a new Virtual Machine in VirtualBox. I've already run 4.2.1 in VirtualBox without problems, but Puppy 5 doesn't seem to work. I booted from the iso-file, and I got two errors related to the same thing. It seems that it has a problem with the cpu in the Virtual machine.

I got the error both at home using a current version of VirtualBox running on Mandriva 2009.1, and at work running version 2.1.0 of VirtualBox in Ubuntu 8.04. The last message I got at home was "PMU disabled", but it never installed.

What I do is I boot up from the iso. I get to the prompt and it starts to boot, but then gets stuck after saying that the CPU is bad/unsupported. I think at home it called the cpu "number 23".

On both PCs I have a Core2Duo CPU, but different versions of the Core2Duo. The one at home is 2.53Ghz, and at work T74000 2.16Ghz.

Zarniwoop

VirtualBox problems also in Qemu

#275 Post by Zarniwoop »

I'm trying now using Qemu instead of VirtualBox (on the same E7400 2.16Ghz cpu computer, running Ubuntu 8.04), and I get the same problem. I doesn't show the error message, but it starts booting but nothing happens (the PMU I got before was with "loglevel=7" so that might be the reason I don't get an error now).

Zarniwoop

Works with 4.3.1

#276 Post by Zarniwoop »

Hello again!

I'm testing now with Puppy 4.3.1, and with 4.3.1 it works fine.

Regards,

Zarniwoop

dru5k1

#277 Post by dru5k1 »

:evil: I'm bugged :evil:
there's no freekin' internet browser
(yes I know, but lynx/elinks/dillo is not even a browser to me, I only know ff, ie, "adblock/flashblock", opera, and now midori <yay midori>

on the positive::
(I just read about midori and greasemonkey scripts for adblocking *tube-downloading flashblocking -and I read playdayz saying it's got cups routed too when all cups wanted was a firefox <yay midori>)

willem1940NLD

#278 Post by willem1940NLD »

Puppy 501 could not print on hp 3650. After several experiments and downloading (install/package manager) hpijs and hplip (the latter missing 2 dependencies) in vain, I cleaned the lot up by hand, read some Ubuntuforums again, deleted the printer. Then I went into install/package manager again, typed hpijs only, downloaded/installed, went into setup, cups, detected the printer and this time the proper driver appeared in the list .... hp3650. O.k and WORKING now. But I really cannot understand how/why such a common hp printer could have been omitted in 501 printer drivers. Till now my 3650 worked fine on all former linuxes I had, out of the box.

RJARRRPCGP

#279 Post by RJARRRPCGP »

The X.Org extension "glx" appears to be missing.

This is what xerrs.log in /tmp contains, from a live CD boot:

(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)

It's looking like I may have to go back to 4.3!

eps

lupu-209 and lupu-507 Pppoe start shell work random

#280 Post by eps »

pppoe start-shell work random
thanks
eps
Attachments
After-rebooting.jpg
(70.62 KiB) Downloaded 1098 times
after-install-on-hdd.jpg
(70.32 KiB) Downloaded 1067 times

jfanderson57

#281 Post by jfanderson57 »

[quote="However, there seems to be a problem with freeing up memory. I didn't notice a t first and the first few boots seemed to run as it was supposed.
I[/quote]
I'm having the same problem. If I work long enough on my labtop (Dell of ancient lineage). The system will completely freeze. I usually have to bootfrom CD and run e2fsck on /dev/sda1 to clean up enough to boot from HDD.
This is a good distrubution, but I am having serious issues with memory not being freed.
Any suggestions to fix this?
Thanks,
John

RJARRRPCGP

#282 Post by RJARRRPCGP »

RJARRRPCGP wrote:The X.Org extension "glx" appears to be missing.

This is what xerrs.log in /tmp contains, from a live CD boot:

(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)

It's looking like I may have to go back to 4.3!
But I can fix that by installing the Nvidia package with Nvidia GPU.

But with Intel GPU, I dunno, but it looks like the module "glx" was left out and I have to install a .pet to fix it. That's sad. :(

I doubt the ISO would change by much if full Intel support was already included on CD.

The only thing that really changes, if at all, is the reported RAM usage.
Don't be surprised if top reports at least about 192 MB used with onboard graphics.

In that case, with Intel graphics, I'm afraid that the only possible solution is to lower the video memory allocation setting in the BIOS.

Ibidem

Xorg_High?

#283 Post by Ibidem »

I suspect Xorg High (under Drivers in Quickpet) may be helpful.
Xorg High contains drivers for ATI & Intel.

For RAM consumption, there's something up with recent kernels where caching and buffers are reported as used RAM. Noticed that/found it out when I was running Lucid Lynx alpha3.

imnotrich

5.1.1 network wizard doesn't see wifi and other bugs

#284 Post by imnotrich »

So to get past the blank screen at boot up bug and keyboard issues I had to turn acpi off, and now I have a sort of functional live 5.1.1 running. But when I rebooted, the acpi=off setting was not saved in my .sfs. Where do I save this setting, if I don't use grub?

The wired network wizard pulls an IP just fine and i can bop around the internet, but wireless (realtek 8180/8185) refuses to connect in fact doesn't even see my wifi when scanning despite being 18 inches from the router or when I'm sitting on the sofa downstairs.

Worked perfectly in 4.3.1, but with 5.1.1 no joy. The proper module is loaded but just for grins I tried re-loading. Doubt it matters but I am running DD-WRT WPA2 with a visible SSID. Puppy repeatedly says no networks detected.

Yes, I did install the update 2 pet, didn't help.

What am I missing?

While we're at it, let's find out why Puppy is not recognizing usb flash drives when they're inserted - they should probably automount but regardless...the puppy "mounter" does not see them so I can't mount them.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#285 Post by Béèm »

Imnotrich, you are in the wrong thread. You won't have much attention here.
In the sticky threads of this section there is one specially for 5.1.1 issues.
You better use this one.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]